Overshadowed by dracos_beauty927
Summary: We all know that the Dream Team are the "heroes" of HP, but what about those in the shadows who the stories would be nothing without? Isn't it time that they got a story of their own? Well, that's what this is..a story of the shadowed ones... D/G of course, but be forwarned that it contains a little H/G in the first chapter. It won't last at all, though.
Categories: Works in Progress Characters: None
Compliant with: None
Era: None
Genres: Romance, Mystery, Action, Angst, Drama
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 6967 Read: 11821 Published: Aug 30, 2004 Updated: Sep 28, 2004

1. Prolouge/Chapter 1 by dracos_beauty927

2. Chapter 2/ Hogwarts Express and Things by dracos_beauty927

3. Chapter 3/ New Friends, New Enemies by dracos_beauty927

4. She's Wonderful by dracos_beauty927

Prolouge/Chapter 1 by dracos_beauty927
A Story of the Shadowed Ones

Prolouge
Oh my, do we have a problem here! Everyone knows about Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger. They are, of course, everybody's favorite, since they are all the heroes. But what about all the people they've overshined to get that role? What about a certain boy and girl that have be background characters? Isn't it about time that they got their own story? Well that's exactly what this is... a story of the shadowed ones. Believe me, Harry Potter is not the hero this time!

:***: Chapter One

It had finally come to the stage that Ginny had been dreading most....fear.

First, it had been pain. The pain of not being wanted was hard to bare. His statement had left her aching. That led to the next stage. It was emptiness. She had wanted him for so long, and she had finally gotten him. Being with him had filled her with so much emotion. Having all that ripped away so quickly left her with a huge hole that needed mending. The only problem was that there was no one left that Ginny wanted to do it.

Finally, it had come to come week after the separation. The realization was that she'd been so sure that he'd been the one for so long, and now that he wasn't, she was left alone. The fear of having no one beside her was overwhelming, but there was no way to stop it.

Ginny Weasley sat in her room with the curtains drawn and the door locked. Of course,no one would bother her because nobody cared. All eyes were constantly on Harry Potter. Yes, he was the one that everybody wanted to make happy. Each and every member of the Weasley family had taken their turn in making him smile. All had remained unsuccessful, save for her.

Ginny felt the sting of tears as she remembered all that had happened in the past month. She tried to block it out, but she felt the memories washing over her....

Harry came to the Burrow looking as depressed as a basset hound. Ginny's heart reached out to him. She'd loved him at first sight, and seeing him now so hurt nearly destroyed her. Harry had been through so much, and had nearly every parent figure he had died because of him(in his mind atleast). The guilt, as far as Ginny could tell, had been consuming him ever since.

Ron and Hermione had tried their best to convince him that it wasn't his fault, but Harry was too stubborn. So, it had come down to Ginny to knock some sense into him. She and Harry were sitting on the couch one evening while the rest of them, caugth up in another futal attempt to cheer Harry up, were playing Quidditch. She had stayed behind with Harry after he had politely declined.

It's now or never,Ginny thought, and took the plunge.

"Harry, I know how you feel," It took forever for a shocked Harry to reply.

"How could you know? Ron and Hermione have been through nearly everything with me, and they don't even know, so how could you possibly?!" he snapped.

"Because, I still feel guilty sometimes for what I did in the Chamber of Secrets." Ginny replied calmly.

"Yeah, but what you did was fixable! This isn't! I can't bring Sirius back! He's dead, along Cedric, and my parents!" Harry yelled.

"And you think that's your fault?!" Ginny asked, raising her voice little.

"Who's else could it be? I was the one who dragged him there, wasn't I?"

"No! Vol-Voldermort did!" Ginny screamed, her voice shaking, but she had to continue, "Voldermort killed your parents, Cedric, and basically Sirius, too. He also possessed me, and tricked me into doing things for him in my first year. You have to realize that it's not your fault."

"I wasn't able to save them!!" Harrry screamed at her, now getting up on his feet.

"You are just a teenager! You play the hero role too well, Harry. You shouldn't have to save them! They don't need it if dying is their fate. If they're going to die, then they're going to die. You've spent too much of your life worrying about what's to come. There's nothing you can do to prevent any of it. You are 'The Boy Who Lived' for a reason, you know. Others you care about are going to die while you move on. Grieve for them later, Harry Potter. There is NOTHING you can do for the ones we've lost. We need you here. Are you going to break down everytime Voldermort hits you, or stand-up and fight like the hero you are? Sirius died to save you, and if you don't fulfil your reputation as 'The Boy Who Lived', there will be no one else, and you will lose track of all those you grieve for," Ginny said, already to her feet. Harry just stared at the floor.

"So you think that I should just forget that Sirius ever existed? Forget about missing him?" Harry finally questioned, still finding the floor more than remotely interesting.

"What?! DO you honestly think that you are the only one who misses him, Harry? I miss him, and so do Ron and Hermione. THINK just how Lupin might feel! He was fighting side-by-side with Sirius when it happened! Harry, it's true that you barely knew him, but Lupin knew him, as well, maybe eve better, than you know Ron and Hermione. He's lost ALL of his best friends to Voldermort. First it was Wormtail, then your father, and now Sirius! Lupin is the only one that remains somewhat unscarred, and YOU want to go around feeling sorry for YOURSELF! You are SUPPOSED to be Harry Potter-not Severus Snape!" Ginny yelled at last.

" I am way too tired for all of this, Gin," Harry said in a calmer voice, "I don't know what to do. The whole world is ganging up against me. It' taken everything from me to where all I have left are my instincts. They tell me to stay away from everyone. That way, that bloody prophecy will go my way!"

" Prophecy? You mean, you actually heard it?" Ginny had caught Harry's screw-up before he could cover his tracks. He had no choice, but to tell.

" At the time, all I heard was a whole bunch of screaming, and it had drowned out the noise. Later, I went to Dumbledore for answers. He told me that Professor Trelawney had made her only true prediction one night, sixteen years ago. She had said, 'The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies....And the Dark Lord knows not.... And either must die at the hand of the other survives....The one with the power to vanquish th Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...'" Harry finished, and looked at her expectantly.

" Well, what did Ron and Hermione have to say?" Ginny said the first thing that came to her mind.

" They don't know about it. I haven't told them," Harry said, finding the floor intresting once again.

" You haven't told them!" Ginny said, shocked as Harry shook his head, " What, were trying to spare them the price of pity?" Ginny asked, and realized that Harry, for once, wanted her advice, " Well, I don't think that you have anything to worry about, Harry. You are 'The Boy Who Lived', right?" Ginny asked rhetorically, walking past him. She was just about to walk up the stairs, when she felt a hand grasp her arm and turn her around, abruptly.

" Yes , Harry?" Ginny asked, staring into his emerald pools.

" I just wanted to know, if you had any doubts that I wouldn't come out of this alive, what would you suggest that I do?" Harry asked, his deep eyes pleading.

" Well, I don't have any doubts, but if I did, I'd tell you to do everything that you ever even considered doing. You know, right all of your wrongs, tell people how you feel aout them, those sort of things. Say, to hell with the consequences, and do it," Ginny advised, hoping that he would get the message.

Even though she had hoped that he would, she never thought that he actually would! In two seconds flat, Harry was pulling Ginny into his arms, and kissing her! It was better than Ginny had ever imagined. All of her wishing and hoping had gone into that kiss. Yet, Ginny would never admit it then, but deep down inside her, she knew that there was something missing.

And so, their friendship developed further into romance, and Ginny was in a state of complete bliss. Of course, her family had approve of Harry right away. They'd been expecting this for years, and they had always thought of him as a member of the family. This meant that they were free to cuddle on the couch, have snogging sessions, and have secret midnight rendevous. Harry actually would smile when she would enter the room. She had succeeded!

But as things got more serious, Harry stared to pull away. He started making excuses to be alone, and Ginny , of course, gave him his space.

And then it happened. Nearly a week before the new school term started, Harry pulled Ginny aside, claiming they needed to talk. The four most feared words in the English language, Ginny found herself thinking.

The rest was basically a blur. She heard something that sounded something like, "It's not you, it's me", and, "It's for your own good, really". The next thing she knew, she was up in her room crying.


It had been a week now, and Ginny had only left her room for the bathroom essentials. She couldn't wait for the for the following day when she could finally get away from Harry. She looked at her alarm clock. According to it, it was 9:00. She decided that it would be good to get some sleep so she could look her best tomorrow.

:***:

She felt his eyes upon her. It was obvious, by the heat of his gaze, and by the way she got butterflies in her stomach when she noticed. She turned to meet his eyes, expecting to see emerald pools, but instead, she got lost in piercing silver depths.

She gasped, and backed away slowly. She was staring at none other than Draco Malfoy! Talk about unexpected!

Before she could say anything, he pulled her up against him. She felt his muscles through the thin fabric of his shirt. As much as she wanted to protest in her mind, her body would just not follow through. He was about to kiss her, and she could feel the desire coursing through her veins. But before anything could go further, she heard a voice calling her name, and she was forced to wake-up.


Instead of looking into silver eyes they were brown, and the voice connected to them was her mother's, urging her to get up, and get ready to go to King's Cross.

Read and Review, please!
Chapter 2/ Hogwarts Express and Things by dracos_beauty927
Chapter Two
The Hogwarts Express and Things

Ginny had crossed over to Platform 9 3/4, and had successfully ignored Harry until now. She said her goodbyes to her parents, and ran with her trolley to the train. But, she was just a little weakling at the moment, and couldn't get any of her luggage onto it. Usually, Ron or Harry would help her, but considering that Ron was with Harry, she couldn't ask for his help. So, she tried to budge her luggage into the car still. It was nearly through, so she stepped back to take a five second break. She was just about to continue her labor, when everything nearly fell off, and on top of her.

The only thing stopping it was an immaculate hand. Her gaze followed the hand all the way to the face of its smirking owner.

"Weasley, do you need help?" Draco Malfoy asked in a very uncaring tone.

"Err - No, Malfoy. I'm perfectly capable," Ginny said, the dream forcing its way into her brain.

"So are you suggesting that I move my hand and let your secondhand luggage fall, and once again, wait for you to get all the way back up again?" he asked, his smirk deepening.

Ginny gulped, staring at his strong hand, holding the luggage up. Suddenly, she remembered why she hated him so much. His stupid father tried to kill her last year! "Sure, Malfoy, the longer I make you wait, the better!" she spat at him.

"I suppose Potter could always come and help you. I mean, helping muggle-loving trash like you with these secondhand deeds are what make him a so-called hero, right?" Malfoy asked, still holding Ginny's belongings.

Ginny felt anger rising through her, and before she could get a hold of herself, she growled, "Harry Potter is ten times the hero you will EVER be, Malfoy!"

"You think so!" Draco shouted, leaning into her with so much force that he finished pushing her trunks into the train. His voice was barely a whisper when he continued, "Potter is known for his bloody famous deeds, but what I do is kept secret from poor and unimportant wizarding families like you, Weasley. Haven't you ever wondered who has kept your family around for so long? It wasn't my father, that's for sure! And if I wasn't the Malfoy heir, my say wouldn't count, and you and your beloved Potter wouldn't be here today. Be warned, my protests won't last long, and soon they won't be enough. I can't help you and your BLOODY Gryffindors anymore than I already have. Who knows why I did it, but I did, and I won't listen to your declaration of him being a man, when Dumbledore has to save him everytime he gets himself into trouble!"

Ginny couldn't help herself. She slapped Malfoy for his evil words. He only replied, "I can tell that you're grateful, Weasley." and then, he stalked off, leaving Ginny to find a secluded compartment to think about what he just said.

:***:

Ginny's seclusion didn't last long. As soon as she sat down, there was a concerned voice calling from the other end of the cab.

"Ginny! Are you okay?! Did he hurt you?" Ginny looked up to see Colin Creevey in the doorway. This irritated her more than ever. Colin had had a crush on her since first year. Now that she was single, he wouldn't miss his chance to make his move.

Ginny found herself looking Colin up and down. He'd changed over the summer. His bulgy eyes now fit into his head, his blond hair was spiked, and he had gained quite a few muscles. Go Colin! Ginny thought.

"Did who hurt me?" she asked, remembering his question.

"Malfoy! You slapped him! Did he violate you in any way, Gin?" Colin asked, rushing to her side. "'Cause, if he did, he won't live to see tomorrow!" he declared.

"No Colin, Malfoy didn't hurt me, and I would like to be alone," Ginny replied.

"And leave you here unprotected! Nah! Now see, Ginny-" Colin said, trailing his finger up and down her arm- "That wouldn't be a problem if you would just go out with me. Just one Hogsmeade weekend? PLEASE? I could show you a real good time. We could get a room, and we wouldn't have to leave it if you didn't want to. I could make you forget that Harry Potter ever existed! You could love me instead of that ungrateful little git. One time, and I'll never ask you for anything else! PROMISE!!!" Colin swore, eyes disgustingly pleading.

He had never asked THIS of Ginny, and she was completely shocked. She became aware of her previously irrelevant surroundings. Colin could easily take advantage of the seclusion, making her wish that she hadn't sought out such solitude."N-no, Colin. I've already told you that I just want to be friends with you," Ginny said, becoming scared.

"Please, Gin? That way everyone would know that you were mine! Unless, you've already given yourself to Potter, that is! If you have, I wouldn't mind! Please!!" Colin begged, grabbing Ginny's wrists.

"No, I'm sorry, Colin, but I just don't see you that way," Ginny said softly, struggling against him roughly, with no avail.

"WRONG ANSWER!!!!" Colin shouted, about to attack her.

"Actually, I think it was the right answer, Creevey. Who would want you for a boyfriend? Can't even understand the word no. Tsk, tsk. Even a Slytherin like me would respect Weasley's decision, and back off," a familiar drawl broke through Ginny's despair.

"Malfoy!" Colin yelled, jumping off of Ginny, knowing perfectly well that Malfoy was a prefect, and that he could beat anyone to a pulp who crossed his path, with or without Crabbe and Goyle. "I thought that all of the prefects were having a meeting," he continued, uneasily.

"We did. Due to security problems, each prefect was assigned a compartment to look after for a bit. We rotate every now and then. Since I am the most darkly feared Slytherin prefect, they gave me the one that was most empty. But I guess it was good that I got here when I did, or else you would've taken advantage of poor Weasley here," Draco said, coming to sit down next to Ginny, "And when I said poor, that wasn't an insult to you," he whispered to her.

Colin sat across from them. She had NEVER been so happy to see Draco Malfoy in all her life, because if he hadn't shown up when he did, who knows what Colin might have done.

Colin and Malfoy glared at each other from across the aisle. Colin would continuously kick Malfoy's foot, and Malfoy would kick back. It went on for about two minutes, and then Malfoy decided that it was time to enforce his power. "Weasley seems kind of upset. Creevey, you don't deserve to be here in her presence," Malfoy tried to keep a straight face, nearly losing his concrete control. "Get out!" he ordered forcefully. It was so forceful that even Colin wouldn't argue with him.

Soon enough, she and Malfoy were alone. He was first to break the silence.

"So, what's wrong with Creevey? Is it just because he's not like Potter? If it is, I've got news for you. You're going to live a long lonely life waiting for someone to be better than the image of Potter you've formed in your head."

"I know, I know, Harry Potter isn't all he's cracked-up to be, Malfoy. You don't have to tell me twice." Ginny murmured, unable to stop it.

"What?! Do my ears decieve me, or is the Harry Potter fan-club finally retiring?" Malfoy asked, his face shocked.

"He doesn't deserve any fans! He wouldn't appreciate them. Actually, he never has!" Ginny glared at the floor of the cab.

"What did he do to you?" Malfoy asked, actually sounding more than mildly interested in what she had to say.

"What makes you think that he did anthing to me?" Ginny questioned curtly, lifting her head up to face him.

"Come ON, Weasley! You've been Harry Potter's infamous stalker ever since my second year, no wait, the summer before that term started. Anyway, why the sudden change of heart?"

"Why should I tell you?!" Ginny spat at him.

"Well if you haven't noticed, I'm not exactly Potter's biggest fan. I'm guessing that you need someone to confide in who doesn't worship the very ground he walks upon, right?" Draco said, a smirk forming on his lips.

"Point taken," Ginny said, and continued to tell him everything that happened in the past month. Malfoy had proved to be a great listener. He nodded at all the right times, and made little noises if she gave him too much information. All in all, he never really interrupted her. By the end, Ginny was nearing tears. I won't cry in front of him, she thought, but thinking it just wasn't enough. The overdue tears started falling.

She didn't know what she had expected Malfoy to do, but wiping away her tears wasn't one of the options.

"Don't waste your tears on that undeserving git, Weasley," he whispered softly, trailing his index finger along her jawbone. His touch was pleasurable torture. She'd expected him to be cold, due to his nature, but it was as though he possessed the heat of the sun within his fingertips. He made her hungry, and with every gesture, made her want him more. "Potter doesn't deserve you," he whispered even softer into her ear, the close proximity of him nearly made her lungs explode from lack of oxygen.

He's my brother's worst enemy, she kept trying to tell herself, as she looked into his gorgeous eyes. He was about to say something when there was a large beeping sound, and the conductor's voice came over an invisible intercom.

"Will all the prefects please rotate to the next compartment," it ordered, rather than asked.

"Got to go. Duty calls," Malfoy said, getting to his feet, and leaving Ginny gasping for air, wishing he'd come back, and then wishing that she hadn't wished it.

The next prefect was Hermione. Great!

"Ginny! I've been looking for you everywhere! "she squealed.

"Well, obviously not eveywhere," Ginny said sarcastically, but secretly thankful that she hadn't walked in a minute earlier.

"Gin, I HAVE to talk to you!" Hermione continued, as if she hadn't heard her comment, "Harry's really sorry! He wants to apologize!"

"Apologize for what?! I don't care about him anymore!" Ginny declared, loving the way it sounded.

"Now, Ginny, you don't mean that," Hermione said, trying to make Ginny understand, but it was only giving her a hotter head.

"Of course I do, and I don't appreciate you telling me that I don't!" Ginny screamed, but her pleas had fallen on deaf ears.

"Yes, you do! You love him, and he loves you-"

"DON'T EVER MAKE DECLARATIONS ON THINGS YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, HERMIONE! IF HE LOVED ME-"

"He does! Harry's just-"

"Harry, Harry, Harry! Is that ALL everybody cares about? You haven't once asked ME how I was dealing with this! Oh no, you just waltz in here, expecting me to be jumping for joy that he wants to apologize! Well, maybe I won't except his apology, because he doesn't even know what he's apologizing for! Get it through your head, Hermione! He doesn't want to be with me, so why should he apologize? He's done NOTHING wrong! Yes, I feel like hating him for his decision, but I don't. It's just awkward being around him, and I'm not ready yet. DON'T force me!" Ginny screamed at a rigid Hermione.

"Ginny, if you could just-" she started, but she was cut off, yet again, by a very outraged Ginny.

"HAVE YOU HEARD NOTHING THAT I HAVE JUST SAID? DID ALL MY WORDS GO IN ONE EAR AND OUT OF THE OTHER? I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO HIM!!! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK HEAD!!! IS MALFOY THE ONLY ONE WHO UNDERSTANDS?!" Ginny shouted.

"Malfoy?" Hermione wondered aloud.

"Yes, Malfoy! Now go tell Ron, like the good little prefect you are, that I've been fraternizing with the enemy!!!!" Ginny yelled, not caring anymore.

"I won't tell-"

"Leave me alone!!" Ginny screamed at the older girl.

"I can't. I have prefect duties." Hermione said calmly.

"It's not like I'm going to go anywhere. Please, leave me be," Ginny pleaded, and without any more arguing, Ginny was left alone. She was still alone by the time the Hogwarts Express pulled up to the station. She was in the last compartment, and no prefect even bothered to check if there was anyone in there, not even Ron.

Please review! *Get's down on knees to beg* Did you like it? Hate it? Have any requests?
Chapter 3/ New Friends, New Enemies by dracos_beauty927
Chapter Three
New Friends, New Enemies

Ginny stepped off the train, and headed towards the carriages. She was kicking a rock as she walked, but lost her footing. She nearly fell on top of this thing that resembled a tiny spike ball. The only thing that stopped was a pair of strong arms pulling her back.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you, Weasley," a drawled warning reached her ears.

"Why not?" Ginny asked, turning around to be able to see his face.

"Well the whole school has been booby trapped, and these are the effects of this particular one," Malfoy said, dropping a Knut on top of the ball, and turning her so she could see the outcome.

Ginny watched as the Knut inflated to about ten times its normal size, and then deflated with a tiny -pop- one single spike sticking through it.

"And that that was only a small wizarding coin. Imagine it being you," Malfoy said, and then sighed. "I never thought of you as a clumsy person, Weasley, but if you are, you're going to need to be prepared," he said, reaching into his robe, and withdrawing a piece of parchment from his pocket. "I received this at the prefects' meeting. It's a map of all the set traps. I grabbed two, so you can have this one," he said, handing it to her.

"Why would they give something so informative to you?" Ginny blurted out, uncontrollably.

"Why not?!" Draco asked, looking offended.

"Well, aren't they made to keep people like your father out?" Ginny asked, needing to elaborate.

"My father, yes, but not me," Malfoy explained.

"But you're your father's son," Ginny said confused.

"Yes, yes I am. And your point is?" Malfoy asked, sounding more confused than she felt.

"Well, aren't they afraid-"

"That I'll give my father information," Malfoy finished for her, finally understanding. "Weasley, I wouldn't do that," he stated plainly.

"Yes, but last year, you threatened to get Harry back for what he did, that he really didn't do," Ginny tried to explain.

"True, but to the people I'm not friends with, which is basically the whole world, my threats and promises are empty. It's a Slytherin way of life," They had started to walk towards the carriages again. "I mean, have you ever actually heard that I snogged Millicent Bulstrode for helping me with the deathroll last Quidditch season, when I promised her I would? I mean, sure all the other Slytherin girls have paid me a visit, but Bulstrode? I've had to turn her away, for I fear for my life!" Draco threw his hands up in despair.

Ginny couldn't help but giggle. They climbed into a carriage that only housed the two of them.

"So, why wouldn't you give the map to your father?" she asked.

"Weasley, I fear that we haven't had a friendship long enough for me to tell you. It's kind of a one month revelation thing," Malfoy shrugged.

"Aww, has Draco Malfoy gone soft, and finally found friendship in a Weasley?" Ginny asked him in a teasing voice.

"Hardly! I didn't mean friendship, so don't get your hopes up! I - I meant something else! A friendship with me is something that you probably would never be able to afford! Besides, our friendship - I - I mean thing - oh whatever this is - probably won't last a month, so you'll never know!" he finally declared, sounding frustrated.

He got out of the carriage as it came to a stop, and started walking towards the castle. Ginny was about to get off, when the carriage took off at full speed! Ginny screamed, and Malfoy turned around and ran at full speed back to her.

"JUMP!" he yelled at her.

"NO!" she screamed in reply.

"Trust me!" He was running right behind the carriage, but she could still see his eyes pleading with her. So she jumped and he caught her, right before the carriage predictably caught ablaze. The impact was enough to knock him off his feet, though, which sent them flying to the ground. The deathroll had proved to be a good move off of the Quidditch pitch as well, for he grasped Ginny so tightly, as if his world depended on it.

When the world had finally stopped spinning, Malfoy realized that they were laughing uncontrollably. It just so happened that she had to end up on top, and she had to reach out to extract a piece of dead grass from his platinum hair. It was a small enough gesture to go unnoticed between friends, but as Draco had previously pointed out, they were anything but that, For between these two, it was large enough to make them stop laughing, large enough to make him roll over on top of her, and enough to only cause a momentary hesitation, in which they looked deeply into each other's eyes, silently permitting what was to come. And then, he kissed her. It wasn't very long or deep, but in that split second, Ginny knew that Draco had something that Harry didn't. It wasn't until much later that she would find out exactly what it was.

Draco got up and helped her to her feet. They walked together to the castle, arriving with the first years.

"So, how did the rest of your train ride go?" Draco asked her.

"Ugh! Hermione came in and tried to convince me to forgive Harry!" Ginny said, looking to Draco for his support.

"For breaking your heart! No apology can be accepted for a crime that high! Potter shold know better!" Draco said, sounding totally apalled.

"Well, I told her that he had nothing to be sorry for," Ginny said, for some reason hoping that Draco wouldn't be mad.

"'Course. Potter did what he thought was best and now I can claim the reward," Malfoy said, before entering the Great Hall, and taking a seat at the Slytherin table.

Ginny made her way to the Gryffindor table, and took her regular seat between Ron and Harry out of habit. The nearness of Harry had less of an effect on her as she'd expected, and from this side, she could see Malfoy. She found him quite interesting. The way he managed to look bored, yet eager when he listened to Dumbledore's speech, the way he got a glint in his eye whenever someone was sorted into Slytherin, and the way he would flinch when Dumbledore announced the name of wanted Death Eaters. He quickly recovered after the Headmaster announced Lucius Malfoy, for all eyes went directly to him. How does he show no emotion? Ginny wondered.

Pretty soon, it was time to go up to the dorms, but Ginny was trailing behind. It wasn't until a bitter second year Hufflepuff tripped her, that she figured out how far behind she really was. Slytherins and Hufflepuffs, who had many Slytherin traits, had crowded together. They were pointing and laughing at her. She felt herself blush furiously.

"What's going on here?" that voice was becoming one of her favorites, but she knew he wouldn't do anything for her in front of his friends. "Weasley, are you alright? Why are you on the floor?" Malfoy asked, coming to her side, and helping her up.

"Someone tripped me," she replied quietly, after regaining her balance. For just a second, she thought she saw anger in his eyes.

"Okay!" Malfoy shouted, "Who did it? 'Fess up now before it gets complicated," he ordered. He was answered with complete silence, because everyone was so shocked at what was going on.

"Malfoy-" Ginny started, apologetically.

"It was me, Drakie," Pansy Parkinson said as seductively as her squeaky voice could handle. "What are you going to do about it?"

"Give you a week's detention for lying and just being utterly annoying. Whoever did it will be let off this time. And Pansy, never call me Drakie again," Malfoy finished, before grabbing Ginny's hand and leading her away.

"You didn't have to do that," Ginny whispered once they were outside the Fat Lady.

"I'm a prefect, and there had been foul play." Malfoy summed up.

"Yes, but since when have you ever cared about what happened to a Gryffindor? You wouldn't have done that for Harry,"she pointed out.

"Potter doesn't deserve my attention," Malfoy said, sounding bored, "I've already wasted enough of my time on him," he finished.

"Yeah, what was that whole thing about, anyway?" Ginny asked.

"No no, little Weaslette! That is at least a six month revelation," Malfoy warned. "You had better get to bed. First day in your O.W.L. year, you know!" he said, giving her hand a little squeeze, leaning over, and kissing her on the cheek. Then, he walked away.

Ginny placed her hand where his lips had been two seconds earlier. It was still hot, but she figured that it was from the blush that seemed to be embedded permanently into her skin. "Mimbulus mimbletonia," Ginny said quickly, not really knowing the password. The portrait swung open, revealing Harry, Ron, and Hermione. They hadn't yet noticed that she had walked in, so she caught the last bit of their conversation.

"Just apologize, Harry, and get it over with!" Hermione shouted.

"She doesn't want me! She didn't even pay any attention to me at dinner," Harry snapped.

"That's because you don't deserve my attention," Ginny echoed Malfoy's words, making her presence known.

"Ginny! Get over here and make-up with Harry! He wants you back, and you just have a hothead!" Ron ordered.

"No! I don't want to get back together with him!" Ginny snapped, "Besides, I've found someone else who makes me much happier than Harry EVER could, and it's the person that you all would NEVER expect it to be!" Ginny shouted at the Trio.

"That's funny, because the last person that I would expect it to be would be Malfoy, and Merlin knows-" Ron had broken off at the sight of Ginny running up to her dorm. "GINNY! You CAN'T POSSIBLY tell me that it's MALFOY! Ginny! GINNY! GIN - WHOA!!!" Ron had previously been running upstairs after Ginny, when the stairs beneath his feet melted into a slide.

"I'll go talk to her," Hermione said, stepping over Ron, and walking up the reformed stairs, undisturbed. Ron immediately looked at Harry.

"MALFOY?! Why HIM?!" Harry asked, outraged.

"I'm as angry as you are, mate, but none of this would've happened if you hadn't let her go," Ron said, shaking his head.
She's Wonderful by dracos_beauty927
Chapter Four
She's Wonderful


Draco Malfoy loved being a prefect. Yes, he loved the special priviledges, recommending that the Gryffindors get points taken away, and having an excuse for late night visits to the Astronomy Tower, but that was before Ginny Weasley. Now, it was the fact could protect her, and he wasn't bothered by the other Slytherins about it either. You see, that was another perk to being a prefect. You get your own room.

Draco didn't understand what had gone on today. He had become attracted to a Weasley, and actually had a civil conversation with her. Of course, his mind had been contemplating his actions all day. He seemed to have no control when it came to her.

When he'd first seen her at King's Cross this morning, he hadn't recognized her. She was no longer the gawky and shy Weaslette. Oh no, her body fit her nicely. He had expected Potter to be helping her with her trunks, but he hadn't shown. When Draco had found out why, when he saw the sadness in her eyes, he wanted to kill that stupid git. Well who's laughing now? Draco asked himself.

As the day progressed, Ginny had turned into his weakness. It all happened so fast! Inside, Draco was cursing himself for helping her, but he knew from that split-second kiss that to turn his back on her now would be near suicide. He didn't love her, but considering he held her welfare above his own... For Draco Malfoy, that saying a lot.

She'll destroy me in the end, and I'll let her do it, he thought to himself. He must never tell his father about him even CONSIDERING friendship with a Weasley. There was so much more to it than that, though. Just ask Dumbledore, he thought to himself.

:***:

"Malfoy!"

"Yes, Potter? What can I help you with?" Draco asked, waiting outside the Potions classroom.

"What do you want with Ginny?" Harry asked through clenched teeth.

"Well, I should say that that is none of your business, seeing as you're the maker of Ginny's unhappiness." Draco answered simply.

"Leave her alone," Harry threatened.

"Can't. I make her smile," Draco said as the door to the Potion classroom opened.

***

"So I understand that progress has been made, Mr. Malfoy? Does your father expect you to be coming home this winter?" Dumbledore questioned.

"No, I told him what you said. I told him that Sn- Professor Snape wanted me to help him with the remedial Potion class that will be staying in the castle over the holidays. He wasn't too happy about it, and I did receive a few permanant scars from it, but he still agreed." Draco explained.

"And what of Miss Weasley?" the Headmaster inquired, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, Professor, I told you I'd protect her. I have my eyes on her, but Potter has his eyes on me. It's a little difficult to make sure Riddle doesn't get to her if they remain so protecting."

"Mr. Potter and his friends must know nothing of your involvement in the Order, Mr. Malfoy, as I've told you many times. It puts too many at risk. It's understandable for Harry to be so protective. If I am correct, she was his girlfriend over the summer, but just as I suspected, Mr. Potter didn't want to put her at risk to the problems his life could present." Dumbledore saw the young Slytherin's jaw tighten. His wise eyes saw a boy going against his whole world to keep others safe. Draco Malfoy wouldn't always be an unsung hero, "But you must not let Mr. Potter know that you have switched sides. I cannot stress that enough!"

"And what about Ginny? Do I just let her believe that I'm a Death Eater in training? I'm sorry Proffesor, but from today's events, that won't last long at all."

"Mr. Malfoy, patience! Miss Weasley will know in time," Dumbledore knew it was going to be difficult. He'd seen the way the young Slytherin looked at the youngest Weasley.

"I'm trying Professor," Draco promised.

"Put you best effort into it, and things will go as planned. I have faith in you. You may go. I'm sure your exhausted." Dumbledore said, showing Draco to the door.

***

Sleep would not come, no matter how high he counted the damned sheep. Draco kept thinking about his meeting with the Headmaster. He'd gone to him the previous year, accompanied by Snape, and explained his situation. Dumbledore suggested that he join The Order of the Phoenix. Dumbledore would buy Draco some time to get his life in order before he gave it all away to the Dark Lord. He was very grateful, and so far, things were going well enough. His meeting tonight was to discuss his earliest mission, as known as Flame Demon. He had gotten the details about Ginny Weasley from the headmaster before summer holidays. He was supposed to protect her at all cost, but the Dream Team wasn't to know until Dumbledore thought it was the right time. Ginny couldn't know in case her demon posessed her mind. Riddle could blow it all, Draco knew that, but he didn't like lying to her.

He finally felt his eyelids droop, and the last thing he remembered thinking before falling into a dreamless sleep was she's not just a mission, she's wonderful.
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=1120