Ilea Iacta Est by Dutchess LC
Summary: Rain makes everyone sad, right?
Categories: Completed Short Stories Characters: None
Compliant with: None
Era: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1119 Read: 2633 Published: Oct 12, 2004 Updated: Oct 12, 2004

1. The Die is Cast by Dutchess LC

The Die is Cast by Dutchess LC
lea Iacta Est.
-The die is cast.



Rain poured in sheets, and noises of thunder filled the air. The Hogwarts grounds were flooding with ice cold water, and it was pitch black outside. Draco Malfoy flew irritably around the deserted quiddich pitch. He gripped the handle of his broom so hard that his knuckles turned white.

For no particular reason he went higher and higher up in the air, and then soared down at a ninety degree angle. He was pissed off. He was in love. He wasn’t supposed to love. And even if she loved him he couldn't stay with her, for reasons beyond his control.

The angrier he got, the more it rained, the more thunderous the skies became. He can’t love her. He couldn’t love her. Not her. Not her. Why her? Out of all the girls at Hogwarts. But nothing could stop him thinking about her. He took out all his anger out on the weather, on Hogwarts, on the broomstick, on...well, him.

Fuck this weather, fuck this school, and fuck everything in this world, He thought angrily, as he climbed higher into the sheer black sky. Not one star was visible.

Sure, stamp on my heart with leather boots, tie it to a wall and hit it with a pike and then SHOW IT TO ME why don’t you?!

Angry tears poured down his face, whipped away by the wind that struck so cold it felt like needles against his face. That made him angrier.

Malfoys’ don’t cry. Who said that? My father. My stupid sod of a father. Of course they cry, you loathsome piece of shit. And that’s what I’m going to do now. I’m going to cry. Yes, I am going to show emotion other than hate you shallow minded bastard.

And with that he swiveled his broomstick down and flew so fast a sound like a whistle rung in his ear. For a split second he thought about merely committing suicide right then and there on the pitch, but then thought of the satisfaction he’d give his father. He saw Lucius looking down on him. Cold and lifeless in his coffin.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Draco howled in anger. He wanted to hurt something, to make it feel as much pain as he. He kicked the sand, with a lot of force. Of course his foot went right through the sand, making him topple over. That did nothing to improve his mood.

So instead, he picked up his want and pointed to the nearest tree. The tallest one, which, silhouetted against the sky, looked as if it were leering at him.

“AVADA KEDAVRA!” He screamed at it. There was no blinding flash of green light, the tree just exploded into thousands of little pieces. A startled cry came from where the tree was a second ago, and Draco thought that he had struck a deer, or a bird, until he saw the outline of a figure.

He ran up to the person, abandoning the broomstick on the ground. Running over he saw that it was Ginny. She sat back down on the little piece of tree that was still attached to the ground. Draco saw her eyes were red, and swollen, and for a second he was happy. He wasn’t the only one suffering. But then he saw the pain behind her eyes, the droop of her face and the sad, defeated aura that surrounded her. Instantly he dropped to his knees and cupped her face in his hands.

Another chilly gust of wind made Draco shiver. Ginny’s face was still in his hands. Silent tears flowed down her cheeks, and her breathing was uneven.

Occasionally her body jerked violently with the power of her sobs. Draco leaned in and kissed her on her lips, gently at first, then stronger.

And as he kissed her, the rain slowly stopped. The darkness ebbed away, and the evening sun began to peep out from behind the tall building of Hogwarts. His hands moved from her face and instead rested on the back of her head, on her soaked and tangled hair that plastered her face, and pulled her closer to him.

She could feel him, feel his presence. What was she doing, kissing him like this? She hated him…and didn’t he hate her back? His fingers traveled down her back. Hadn’t he teased her all these years? Embarrassed her? His hands opened up the front of her cloak. He’d made her feel stupid, and worthless and useless. And his hands went under her thin silk nightie, and she gasped. His fingers were like ice.

He could taste the saltiness of her tears in her mouth, and he broke the kiss off. Instead he stared straight at her face, where she wore a confused expression. She gave another jerk and a sniff. Her lips were still slightly parted and it took everything Draco had in him not to lean in and kiss her again.

"Do you really have to leave?" she asked desperately. He nodded, the lump in his throat too big for him to talk. She was so angry. Apparently Potter wasn't enough for them to fight with.
“Hug…” she said weakly and he put his arms around her waist, as she buried her head into his black cloak. He wanted so badly to tell he loved her, but thought better of it.

Love sucks, Thought Draco.


~*~*~*~




Ginny walked slowly up to the bed, tears blinding her vision. She knew this would happenEverything was white..too white…and red. It hurt her head. And there he was, lying as still as stone on the bed. More tears. Her eyes were red and swollen.

I never got to say I love you. You never told me you loved me. Was I not good enough?

She bent down and kissed his forehead, desperately trying to avoid looking at the blood on the sheets below. It was so cold. She pressed her lips harder, desperate to feel some evidence of life within him. A sound like waves crashing filled her ears, so loud it blocked everything out. Then a tinkling, like a knell. A scream. His silky blonde hair fell into his eyes, blue from the lack of blood. Ginny pushed away the tendrils of hair and kissed each of his eyelids twice. Tears from her face fell onto his. She stroked his cheek and gently kissed his lips, still red, but blue-ing on the edges.

“I love you.”



Fin
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=1410