Living the Homelife by Dex
Summary: Draco unwittingly leaves Ginny in her seventh year, alone and pregnant. When Draco returns to England seventeen years later, can he find a place in her life? And will her children be okay with him when they meet?
Categories: Works in Progress Characters: None
Compliant with: None
Era: None
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 4921 Read: 10669 Published: Nov 25, 2004 Updated: Mar 01, 2006

1. Serenading Smoke by Dex

2. Kissing Codfish by Dex

3. Chapter 3 by Dex

Serenading Smoke by Dex
Author’s note: Nobody in this, except for James, Nicky, Toby, Marli, Hailey, and Kyle, belongs to me. So yeah… Hope you enjoy.

Author's note: This is important! I need a beta reader! I have tried to send in the next chapter, but I always have to many spelling errors, so if somebody wouldn't mind sparing me some of their time, I would be deeply obliged if you could email me at Eccentric_turtle@hotmail.com .
~{}~
Tap, tap, tap…
Draco groggily opened his eyes. They instantly snapped closed again. It was so damn bright! This was the worst part of the morning, waking up.

He would have stayed in bed for a few more hours, if he didn’t have work in half an hour, and if the incessant tapping had stopped, but alas, these things were not to be ignored.

He sighed and sat up, not wishing to prolong his torturous awakening. He squinted and opened the window of his bedroom. A large Tawny owl swooped in, dropping a paper on his desk, and then proceeding to stick its leg out, eager to be paid. Draco shook his head in a vain attempt to wake himself up, and paid the owl, failing to notice that he had given the bird seven galleons, instead of sickles.

Draco quickly dressed and readied himself for the day, but it was as he padded through the hallways of the manor that it hit him. He was home. After seventeen years of making a name for himself in France, Canada, and the U.S, he was back.

This, however, did nothing to cheer him up. Home was where he had grown up. Home was Hogwarts. Home was… Ginny… Was, being the key word of the sentence.

He sighed, and for the millionth time, regretted leaving after his seventh year. He had left her behind, the only girl who ever really got to know him. He remembered, vividly, the antics they had gotten up to on his last day, and blushed slightly as the memories caused blood to rush… downwards.

They had never told anyone about them, but it hadn’t really mattered. Draco frowned, wondering if there was any chance she would take him back. But he shook his head, there was no way she would want him now. Heck, she was probably married, with kids of her own now.

Draco couldn’t help but clench his fist angrily, as he thought of Ginny with kids that weren’t his. He still couldn’t believe that she had managed to stay with him this long, that he had never forgotten her.

~~
Ginny paused from her work as a frantic, “Ginny!” rang through her house. She dropped crayons onto the table and rushed to the fireplace, where Luna Potter’s head was sitting in the flames.
“What’s the matter, Luna?” Ginny asked, worried at her friend’s tones.

“We’re having a difficult time at the office, Parvati called in sick, and she can’t finish her gossip column this week, so they handed it off to me. I’ve been sunk, dealing with the layout, the recipe page, and Parvati’s column. So I was wondering if you could accept James into your daycare on short notice, Nicky could come over and help!” Luna spouted at top speed.

The desperation in Luna’s voice was enough to make Ginny laugh, but she managed to keep a straight face, “Sure Luna, you can send them over right now. Toby and Marli have been bored out of their socks without company. Nicky’ll do them good.”

Luna sighed in obvious relief, “Thanks Gin, you’re a life saver. Oh, and Toby made the front page.” With that, Luna was gone.

Ginny didn’t mind not knowing why Toby had merited the front page of the Daily Prophet. As it was, Toby’s antics were best left unsaid.
Ginny went back downstairs, calling upstairs as she went, “Guys, Nicky’s coming over!”

Two teenagers instantly galloped down the stairs. Ginny smiled at them, Toby and Marli, her two children, and the only evidence of her fling with Draco, other than her own hurt that is. She was still waiting for him to return. Even though it was a fool’s dream, and she didn’t trust herself to hope. In the meantime, she was content with the strange looking kids in front of her.

Toby was tall and thin, with one bright green eye, and a dull gray one. It made him look odd, the different colored irises. But nobody seemed to mind. He had dyed his strawberry blonde hair an offendingly bright, neon pink. One of his ears contained a small silver stud, with a snake shaped spring, curling into the shell. His skin was fair and pale, but a splatter of almost invisible freckles had made its way onto his nose. He was wearing a faded yellow t-shirt, with a pair of old jeans, ripped into shorts. Old striped tights clung obscurely to his legs, making him look gangly and awkward.

His twin sister Marli, however, was a different story. She was about an inch shorter than her brother, with icy gray eyes that seemed to glaze over when she was tired. Her skin was devoid of all freckles, and her hair was tied back into a messy knot. Her hair was Weasley trademark red, but seemed to achieve a lighter tone than her mother’s. She was wearing a baggy dark blue t-shirt that proclaimed in big red letters, ‘Spawn of Satan’. Her legs were covered by dark blue, jean pedal pushers, and black converse shoes covered her feet.
Ginny smiled lovingly at them.

“Hey Mum, d’you mind if we call up Hailey and Kyle then?” Toby asked.
“Yah, we promised Hailey we’d take her out for lunch,” Marli piped up, “It’s her birthday you know.”

Ginny nodded, “Sure, just be back by 1:00. I need you to help me with clean-up.”

Toby grinned, “Sure, make sure you don’t fun the kids to death while we’re gone.”

Ginny smiled. She was now the owner of a successful daycare. She had opened it after Toby and Marli had left for Hogwarts in their first year.

Kyle, Hailey, and Nicky were proof that Ginny had not been the only one participating in frantic love making at the end of her sixth year. Luna Potter, Hermione Weasley, Lavender Longbottom, and Ginny…Weasley had all given birth within a month of each other.
The five children had been fast friends, and were instantly a force to be reckoned with. They were the present version of Fred and George attending Hogwarts, and twice as bad. They had somehow managed to outdo the older Weasleys. Fred said that they had bested them when they managed to paint a moustache, unibrow, and devil horns onto Snape, and then charm him, so that he spent most of the day dancing around the halls, singing ‘Oh when the moon hits your eyes like a big pizza pie, that’s Amore…’ at the top of his lungs. They hadn’t figured out the rest of the verses beforehand so that was as far as it got, but it was still hilarious.

Ginny grinned as a knock on the door sounded, and Nicky stepped in, Luna’s younger child, James, following close behind.

Nicky was the spitting image of her mother, except for her wide green eyes and dark brown hair. A wicked grin also seemed to have taken up residence.

Ginny laughed slightly as James flung himself into Toby’s arms.
“Toby, Toby! You have to sing the meatball song!”

Toby grinned, “The Meatball song? I don’t remember how that song went!”

James cackled, “You’re silly!” That was all it took for the two to jet off into a startling dance to the ‘On top of spaghetti’ song.
Soon after that, the three older children had left to meet with Kyle and Hailey in front of quality quidditch supplies.

~~
Draco sat down in a stiff backed chair at the dining table. His mother sat across from him, looking happy, as per usual. She seemed to glow now that Lucius was gone from their lives.

Draco sighed, pulling some bacon and eggs onto his plate. He had not gotten more than three bites through his breakfast when he paused, halted mid-bite, by the front page of his paper, his first paper since returning to England.

There stood a strange looking boy, standing on the sidewalk in front of Quality Quidditch Supplies, apparently in the act of singing.
It wasn’t what the boy was doing; it was the small caption underneath that drew Draco’s eye:

Toby Weasley, the notorious son of Ginevra Weasley, was seen serenading the new model of the Smoke Stealer, in front of Quality Quidditch Supplies in Diagon Alley yesterday afternoon. When asked to comment, his four companions could only tell this reporter that Mr. Weasley was an emotional type, and has a fetish for the word smoke. Upon further investigation, it seems that Toby is quite an unenthusiastic flyer, who could not fly, even if ‘he was a phoenix.’…

The article went on, describing the amazing attributes of the latest broom model. But Draco was not paying attention, for the word’s ‘son of Ginevra Weasley’, had succeeded in numbing his brain. He could do nothing but stare at the boy's face, a spitting image of his own, in silence, for quite some time.

Then Draco was off, ignoring both his fork, as it clattered to the floor, and his mother, as she called after him confusedly.

He flooed to the first place he could think of, The Ministry.
Upon arriving, he realized that he didn’t even know if she worked here.

He swore silently, his mind racing. That boy had looked about sixteen, seventeen. And that could only mean one thing.
Either Ginny had been having fun with someone else, at the same time as him. Or he was his.


~{}~
Author’s note: I dunno if this makes any sense to anyone but myself, but I would be obliged to know, and will fix it if it is confusing. Please R&R. I doubt I’ll continue this story if I don’t get at least one review. I have this problem where I start a story and never finish it. A review would be my motivation. So if you want me to continue… Yah. I’m sure you get the picture. Hope you enjoyed it.
Kissing Codfish by Dex
Author’s note: Thank you So Much! To all those who reviewed, it really makes me feel good to know that you enjoy my story. Thank you, to whoever it was who pointed out that owner would be a better word than runner in my last chapter, I changed it. Hope you enjoy this chapter as much as the last. I’m so sorry it took me so long to update, but I couldn’t find a BETA, so you all have Natasha to thank for this chapter ever seeing the light of day. But it’s finally finished, so I hope you enjoy this.

~{}~

Draco stared wildly around, not really thinking about where he was going, his mind only focusing on one thing, and one thing alone. It was like a mantra, repeating continuously in his head:

Is he mine? Is he mine? Is he mine? …

Suddenly, it hit him. He rushed up to the ‘Help’ desk.

“Do you happen to know where I can find Hermione Granger please?” He only knew the woman worked here because Blaise had met her while going to see his girlfriend (whom neither of them had liked very much) a few years ago. Draco distinctly remembered getting an owl saying:

‘She was great, one of the few girls that I’ve ever met who can keep up their own end of a conversation, but she was married, and so damn busy. She was way too devoted to her work, which I can’t understand. She has the most monotonous job I’ve ever heard of, record keeper for the ministry.’

”She’s on the fourth floor sir, second door to the left, but she’s seven months pregnant, so she may have taken a day off.”

Draco didn’t even pause to say thank you, just sprinted off towards the lift.

The damn thing was broken!

He cursed and went to the stairs instead, sprinting up the cement blocks as fast as he possibly could.

He was panting by the time he reached her floor, and gasping as he slammed open the door to her office, but speechless as he saw the girl he had tormented so often in his school days.

Hermione had gone from a bucktoothed, bushy haired, know-it-all, to a fine looking young woman, with curly locks and a slender figure, well, probably… usually slender. This, however, was not what Draco noticed about her. What caught his attention was her hugely protruding belly. The face that she wore as she tried desperately to reach her desk over top of it was priceless. In fact, if it had been any other situation, Draco would have laughed. But as it was…

Like I said, Draco was speechless, but this did not last long, oh no. It only took a few seconds for him to get over her appearance, before he did the first thing he could think of: he yelled. Loud, hard, and not particularly comprehensibly either.

~{}~

Ron stepped onto the lift from his office on the fifth floor, where he and Harry worked in the Department of magical games and sports, under the lax rule of Ludo Bagman.

He smiled as he thought of his wife, Hermione, pregnant and due in two months, and his oldest daughter, Hailey, who was turning sixteen today. There was going to be a huge party at the Burrow that night, and Ron was already chuckling at the thought of what she would get from Ginny’s son, Toby. The boy had the strangest taste in gifts.

However, his grin soon faded as he entered his wife’s office.

The most unexpected person was standing there, yelling at Hermione. Draco Malfoy looked close to tears. Not that that part bothered Ron, but his wife was pregnant, and she was looking shocked. Stress was probably not good for her or the baby right now.

“Malfoy, I’m going to have to ask you to refrain from shouting at my wife,” Ron bellowed.

This proclamation was met by a sudden silence, but from the sudden look of pity on Hermione’s face, Ron had a pretty good idea of what was going on.

Even though the realization hit him like a bowling ball in the stomach, even though he wanted to scream at the blonde haired man that he couldn’t see his niece and nephew, he couldn’t put someone through that.

Ron sighed. He had always known that Draco was unaware of Ginny’s children, and his part in their existence. But this was just sad. Ron had never really thought that Draco would find out, and although he would never admit it, he was glad, now that it had happened. Ginny had been feeling the strain of life quite hard lately. Ron had found out last week about her considering a night shift at the Leaky Cauldron, and he knew that if Draco were around, well… Ginny probably wouldn’t have to sell her house any time soon.

Draco slowly turned, and Ron could not help but cringe at the raw emotions on the other man’s face, full of disbelief, confusion, and… hope?

“Is he mine,” Draco asked desperately.

“Toby? Ummm… Well… You see, the thing is…”
“Just tell him,” Came Hermione’s weak voice
“Yeah,” He stated reluctantly. Ron wondered why he hadn’t asked about Marli, but didn’t comment, he thought that the rest should be done by Ginny.

Hermione had regained her ‘take-over-everything’ demeanor after her initial shock, and instantly came up with a solution:

“Why don’t we go see Ginny, and sort this out?”

~{}~

The sound of the door opening startled Ginny out of her daze, she had been taking a short break during the kids’ naptime.

The stairs creaked lightly as the twins made there way into the basement.

“What are you two doing back so fast? And where’s Nicky,” Ginny whispered curiously.

“Dunno, Uncle Ron Flooed to Fortescue’s and told us to get home quick, something about someone important wanting to see us. He seemed really agitated, so we listened to him, for once.” Toby’s voice was low and scratchy as he tried to bring his normally loud and obnoxious tone down a decibel.

“What,” Ginny hissed disbelieving, but suddenly there was a knock at the door.

~{}~

It had taken a surprisingly long time to get to Ginny’s. Ron had flooed over to get his niece and nephew home, as they should probably be present for this. Hermione had taken Draco to Ginny’s, but in her condition, she couldn’t apparate, and the floo made her nauseous, so they walked, which took about three times longer than it should have anyways, as Hermione couldn’t walk very well either.

Draco bit his lip nervously, which would have been hilarious, had it been any other situation.

Hermione took pity on him and knocked.

~{}~

Toby galloped up the stairs and opened the door, wondering if it was his uncle, coming to tell him what was up, but it wasn’t. It was his father.

He gaped silently for a few seconds at his startled looking Dad. He had always known who the man was, he’d seen millions of pictures of him in the newspaper. But the guy suddenly showing up on his doorstep was a bit of a rude wake-up call.

So, being the sporadic kid that he was, he said the first thing that came to mind. “Pops?”

Draco stared, swaying slightly on the spot. He had never been addressed as father, let alone ‘pops’.

Hermione sighed. “Could you get your mother Toby?”

The boy nodded slightly. “Yeah… Yeah, sure. The kids… Nap…Mar-Marli…” Then, suddenly, he laughed, full out, face about to crack, laughed.

Hermione looked slightly taken aback. “Toby?”

Toby bit back any more giggles. “It’s just… Marli’s shirt.” He burst out laughing again, before turning back into the house. “Come on in.”

Hermione shook her head dejectedly and walked in after him.

Draco stared mutely. That boy… He had the same face. And his eyes… His hair!

He sighed, and followed them, shutting the door behind him.

Mom, Marli. You guys have got to come up here! You’ll never guess what the cat dragged in, ” Toby whispered down the stairs.

Draco arched an eyebrow to suppress his confusion as to why the boy was whispering, and then his mouth dropped open in indignation as he realized his son had just referred to him as ‘What the cat dragged in’.

“Toby! We have to watch the kids it’s naptime! Tell whoever it is to go away!

Ginny’s hissing voice could be heard from the bowels of the house.

Draco nearly fainted at hearing her voice after such a long time.

“Screw the kids, this is more important!”

There was a pause; Toby’s first priority was usually kids. If Ginny didn’t know better, she’d think he was one of the children’s mothers.

A sigh was heard. “Fine Toby.” Ginny’s voice came again.

A quick mutter of spells was heard, most likely to alert Ginny if any of the kids woke up.

Draco, on the other hand, was still trying to process why there would be other kids in the house, and why they would be napping.

He was to content staring at the door, waiting to see what Ginny looked like after all this time; to notice that there was more than one set of footsteps. Which was why, when a different red head poked itself around the door, he nearly had a heart attack.

The already pale face managed to outdo newly washed sheets, and the girl looked confused as she made her way in to the center of the room, then she laughed nervously,

“You look just like my old man.” There was a pause, and a look of understanding crossed her face. “Oh.”

Draco’s eyes nearly popped out of his head. “Jesus,” He yelped, almost as if she’d burned him.

Ginny then proceeded to come into view.

His mouth dropped open and he was at a loss for words.

“Wow!” Toby stared at his father. “How do you do that?”

Draco snapped out of it, and turned to his newfound son. “How’d I do what?” He tried desperately to block Ginny out of his vision.

“You looked just like a codfish,” Toby mumbled, in a show of utmost of awe.

Draco stared at him as if he were crazy, before turning back to Ginny.

Well that was a mistake. Ginny’s surprised face made him want to run over and kiss her. Screw that, looking at her shoes made him want to kiss her.

Ginny finally regained control of her body. “So… I guess you found out.” She still couldn’t look at him, opting instead, to study a paint stain on the carpet.

“I-I guess I did,” He stuttered, surprising even himself.

“I’m sorry Draco,” She said in a small voice.

Suddenly a small and angry squeak drew their attention to the corner. Marli was giving Draco an intense glare. Her mouth was scrunched into a thin line, and her hands were clenched so tight that they were white. Turning around with a little grimace, she stomped downstairs.

“Oh dear,” Came a muffled cry from Hermione.

“What? What’d I do?” Draco panicked.

Toby gave his father a sympathetic pat on the shoulder. “Don’t worry, she does that to some people. Plus, who could stay mad at you for long? You have such a great codfish impression.”

“But why is she mad at me?”

Toby smirked. “I dunno Cod-man. But like I said, she gets like that. She just hates some people. You’re just one of the few bastards lucky enough to be bestowed the honor.”

Draco gave a small squeak.


Great, his son was calling him cod-man, and his daughter hated him. Things could not have been going worse.


~{}~
Author’s Note: Hope you enjoy this chapter. Please R&R. I’m Soooooooooooooooooo… With quite a few extra o’s, about not updating sooner… I just had all these spelling mistakes, and I wasn’t really paying attention to much… And I’m a pretty lazy person… I’m really sorry.
Chapter 3 by Dex
Author's Notes:
Well, hello again! I actually finished the next chapter! I'm very proud of myself, and I think you should all be proud of me too. (You should also be proud of yourselves for having the patience to stick with me this long... as in almost a year.) But, in all actuallity, you should thank Becky, the wonderful woman who beta'd this! Without her, you would all be sitting chapterless right now. Anyways... Enjoy!

Disclaimer: I own everything (As in, absolutely nothing!) And I'm getting payed quite handsomely (As in, not at all) In fact, this was a very profitable venture (As in, if you still believe I'm making anything, you're very gullible.)
Draco stared, wide-eyed at his son. He looked rather shell-shocked, and Ginny, who had been sitting and watching the two interact for the past two hours, was looking very guilty as she tried desperately not to giggle.

Toby was whisking around the kitchen, his wide green eyes darting around wildly as he multitasked horrifically. He was currently wearing a fluffy pink apron over his odd attire, and cooking a plate of brownies for Hailey’s party tonight. While doing this, he was talking to Draco about the most random things, for instance, he had spent twenty minutes describing the Hufflepuff common room, and then suddenly switched off to describe the shoes he had worn when he was six.

Draco just could not comprehend his son. The boy had an endless amount of energy. And, his hair was pink. He was in Hufflepuff. And, his hair was pink. He had different colored eyes and pierced ears. And, his HAIR was PINK!

Marli had come down at random intervals and lulls in the one-sided conversation. She would walk into the kitchen, spot Draco, and murmur a cynical, “Oh… You’re still here.” Then turn around and go back upstairs

Draco felt rather helpless in that department. His son, who was now referring to him as ‘Pops’, would just reassure him that she could hold a grudge forever, which was not reassuring at all, and whenever he looked at Ginny for support, she would look away with a rosy blush on her cheeks.

Ginny was another problem; it was really hard to concentrate on his son when a girl who he had daydreamed about for seventeen years was sitting next to him at her kitchen table.

Her laugh was another thing that was bothering him. Well, not so much bothering him as distracting him. Malfoys were never distracted! But, he still had to turn desperately away every time she giggled. Judging by the look of idiotic cunning which was currently plastered all over his son’s pale face, he was being incredibly obvious in his ongoing attraction for the woman who had fathered his children.

Suddenly, Toby banged the tray of brownies into the oven. So lost in his thoughts, Draco had hardly noticed that his son had finished pouring the batter into the pans.

“Well, I’ve gotta go put some finishing touches on Hailey’s present. Don’t you kids do anything reckless now!” He was gone so fast, Draco barely had time to register that his son had just insinuated that he was a child, before he was alone with Ginny.

Ginny and Draco both sat there, blushing profusely, and not looking at each other. Draco was positive that Ginny’s eyes were burning a hole into the back of his neck, and he felt ashamed that he was unable to meet her gaze. Over on the other side of the tiny bar table, Ginny was thinking the exact same thing.

Finally, Draco had had enough.

“So…” He mumbled. Okay, maybe he could endure the silence a little more.

All Draco could think of was why this was so hard. He loved the woman for
Merlin’s sake!

His eyes widened, and he had to take a deep breath. He had always admitted attraction, but that was the first time he had ever, even to himself, admitted that he loved anybody!

He was incredibly lucky that his gasp was covered by Ginny’s response of, “So…”

As the silence stretched on for what seemed like more than an eternity, Ginny laughed. Draco felt his heart flutter, and brought his hand to his chest before he realized that it was just his reaction to Ginny, and not heart palpitations as he had thought.

He couldn’t help but turn to look at her. He instantly regretted it, as he was washed in her fiery beauty. Then he instantly regretted thinking that, as he realized he sounded like he was writing a romance novel.

“Why are you laughing?” He had averted his eyes, and he was now tracing the outline of his daughter’s name, which had been carved into the worn table with a fork.

Ginny grinned. “I was just thinking about how talkative the two of us are!
You’d think we’d never been separated!” Her voice was thick with sarcasm.

Draco couldn’t help but laugh at this; he had almost forgotten Ginny’s sarcasm. This was astounding, as it was one of the reasons they had gotten together…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~Random Flashback ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
“Hey! Weasel face! How about coming over here and proving you’re a real redhead?” Draco sneered at the young girl.

Ginny looked at him with mock naivety. “Oh yes, will do!” She then proceeded to point at her eyebrows.

Draco stared at her, flabbergasted. It was not something you expected from a girl who you had just insulted. He also hadn’t expected her to stand up for herself. Most people didn’t do that with him.

Ginny sighed, “I suppose that we should get married now. You know what they say!”

Blaise laughed uproariously at this, but Draco just smirked. “No, I don’t.”

Ginny just shrugged, “Your loss.”

She then proceeded to salute them mockingly, before storming away.

That was it. From that point on, Draco had found himself hopelessly infatuated with the young girl.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

During Draco’s think session Ginny had started up a gale of furious giggles, but a sudden crash startled them out of their laughter.

“I don’t CARE,” Marli screeched.

“But they look so happy!” Toby sounded confused.

“SO WHAT? Just SHUT UP, and LEAVE! ME! ALONE!”

“But-“

Smack.

“Bu-“

Smack, slap, smack, bap, fwap, smack.

“Stop it! Stop!” Toby’s giggling and somewhat desperate pleas were met with more smacks.

They heard a rush of footsteps as someone came galloping down the stairs.
Toby came into view, his palms mostly obscuring the handprints, which were now imprinted onto his face.

As soon as he saw his parents, he stopped. A massive grin developed on his face, and he turned to Draco. “I don’t think she’ll ever forgive you!”

Draco stared in horror. “But, what’d I do?”

~*~*~*~*~*~
I hope it was to your liking. Please read and review. Also... I promise the next chapter will be alot less lacking in the comedy department, as we will be meeting Ginny’s roommate.
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=1678