A Respite from Reality by sweetproserpina
Summary: Ginny enjoys an evening of peace with Draco, and reflects on what the world has become.
Categories: Completed Short Stories Characters: None
Compliant with: None
Era: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 560 Read: 2963 Published: Dec 06, 2004 Updated: Dec 06, 2004

1. Respite by sweetproserpina

Respite by sweetproserpina
Disclaimer: I don’t own Harry Potter, the characters etc. are not mine.. too bad eh?

A Respite from Reality


She snuggled up closer to him on the dark brown leather sofa. Burrowing into the deep green chenille throw that covered them both to ward off the chill of the dungeons. He was asleep, breathing softly in a slow rhythm, his arm protectively slung around her narrow shoulders. She was perfectly content at this moment, feeling safe and protected in the cosy study that was part of Draco’s suite of rooms at Hogwarts

Here she didn’t have to think about her brother’s angry accusations, or Hermione’s sermonizing or Harry’s newfound jealous rages. Worse still was the guilt, the weight upon her narrow freckled shoulders pressed down on her whenever she walked the corridors of the school or sat in the Gryffindor common room or ate in the Great Hall. All those eyes on her, oh, Ginny, you’ve sank so low, dirty Slytherin lover, Deatheater’s whore... Oh, and she knew they were wrong, she ached to tell them how amazing he was, and how caring and brave he had been during the war, but she couldn’t, he was an unsung hero, a double-agent. And for his and her safety, his role in the outcome of the final battle would remain a secret forever, he had too many enemies on the Dark side, and so, instead they would always be reviled, no matter how far they ran away. It wasn’t fair, but Ginny had learned sadly, as so many do, that little in life was ever really fair. But she was wrapped in his arms right now, safe in their refuge, and not thinking about the outside world.

She nuzzled closer to him, breathing deeply, inhaling his scent. In the mornings his expensive cologne masked it but now, in the wee hours before dawn she could smell him beneath it. She loved how he smelled, it wasn’t anything romantic like sandalwood or jasmine, it was earthy, it was him. She could pick up the scent of different potions ingredients, from his long hours he spent assisting Professor Snape with potions for the Ministry, the smell of ink and parchment was more elusive, but always clung to his strong hands. And lastly, underlying it all was the smell of the wind on him, just as she retreated to the kitchens to get away from everyone sometimes, he flew. He’d fly for miles letting the wind blow his worries away. Tonight he’d gone flying for hours, and come back exhausted. Ginny had led him to the sofa, and he’d sat wearily and gathered her up in his arms, kissing her temple before his head had eased back onto the cushion and he’d drifted off into slumber.

Cradled in his warmth, Ginny felt herself drifting as well. She smiled a bittersweet smile into his chest. Gods, she thought as she listened to the steady beat of his heart, how can I love someone so much...

Slowly her breathing began to fall into beat with his as she joined him in his dreams.

-------------
Author's etc.: That story just gives me warm fuzzies all over, what do you think? Cheers, -sweetp
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=1760