Hold On Tightly by Peffy
Summary: They're on the run, and they have no one else to turn to.
Categories: Completed Short Stories Characters: None
Compliant with: None
Era: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1029 Read: 3059 Published: Jun 05, 2005 Updated: Jun 05, 2005

1. Be Discreet by Peffy

Be Discreet by Peffy
“You can’t possibly mean to insinuate that I would stay in this disgusting establishment.”

“It’s a motel. A cheap, muggle motel at that. It’s what we need.”

Draco scoffed. “It’s disreputable. If I were to be found here…”

“You’d be killed, just like I would. People are aware you have expensive tastes, Malfoy. They’re not going to expect you to stay here, much less both of us.”

A sigh. Then, “Stop being so logical, Red. It doesn’t become you.”

He was answered with a smile.

“Bloody women, always so smug,” he muttered to himself.

He was answered with a slap to the face.

“Ow! What the bloody hell was that for?”

“Being male. Get your arse inside, alright?”

“Fine, Weasel. After you,” Draco replied as he rubbed his cheek ruefully.

The redhead rolled her eyes, then strode into the motel with the blonde in tow. Each carried a small valise, carrying only the essentials; even if they’d had charmed their suitcases, the pair could not afford to worry about material possessions. They were on the run.

“A room for two, please,” Ginny said in a pleasant tone, a small smile on her face. “For one night.”

The tired man behind the desk had her sign a form, then gave her a room key and pointed down the hall. “You’re room number one-oh-five. Your bill will be under the door in the morning.”

“Thank you.”

Draco followed Ginny to their room, and as soon as they walked in he dropped his belongings on the floor.

“I’m so bloody tired of this, Red,” he stated matter-of-factly.

“You think I’m not?”

“No.”

“Then stop complaining,” Ginny said stiffly, crossing the room to sit on their bed. Draco sighed, and followed her. She felt the worn mattress’s weight shift when he sat down.

“I’m sorry,” he mumbled.

“For what?”

“… Everything.”

“Don’t say things like that. It upsets me.”

Draco fell silent once again, his eyes studying the woman next to him. He was twenty, she was nineteen, yet she seemed so much older. He watched her stare sadly at the brown carpet for only a few seconds before he could resist. His arms hugged her to him tightly, almost thinking she’d disappear if he let her stare any longer. He heard her sniffling into his shoulder and felt her arms wrap around his waist in return.

“Why’d they all have to die?” she asked after a hiccup. “Why’d he have to win?”

He rubbed her back soothingly, unable to think of a good answer. “We’ll be out of this soon,” he muttered. “Once we get to Canada, where they don’t even have a following.”

They remained in their embrace silently, neither one willing to move. It was only the slowing of Ginny’s breaths that stirred Draco. She looked at him with confusion when he pulled apart from her, and he managed a smirk.

“I like to think you didn’t bring me along to use as a pillow,” he commented, attempting to keep the mood light.

Ginny smiled slightly. “Well, you just keep on thinking that. Don’t let me disillusion you in any way.”

“Why, thank you.”

“Not a problem.”

“You should lay down, Red.”

“I know.”

“Do you need to use the loo or anything?”

“No, I’m fine, I guess.”

“I’ll be back, then. I need to brush my teeth. Are you going to change into pyjamas?”

“Probably.”

“Then tell me when it’s alright for me to come out, then.”

“Mmm.”

Draco walked awkwardly over to the small bathroom and shut the door behind him. He took his time, pausing after he finished brushing to stare at his reflection in the mirror. He was thinner these days- he could see his cheekbones too clearly defined by the hollows in his cheeks. The blonde desperately hoped that they were a result of the harsh lighting in the bathroom, and not his actual appearance. What he wouldn’t give to be able to cast a glamour charm…

He was interrupted from his train of thought by the sound of the door opening. His eyes met Ginny’s in questioning. She said nothing and held her hand out to his. He took it without asking and allowed himself to be led to their bed. She lay down first, scooting over to the far side of the bed. He climbed in after her, preparing to sleep on the edge for another night. He’d already turned away from her, sleeping on his left side. However, her voice changed his plans.

“I’m cold.”

He rolled over to face her.

“Cold?”

“Canyouholdme?” she blurted out quickly, as if she were ashamed to even ask the question.

He nodded, holding his arms out to her. She slid over to his side of the bed and buried her face in his shoulder.

“I miss him,” she mumbled, and for some strange reason, Draco felt a sharp, gnawing pain in his chest. He said nothing.

“I… I always thought I’d have Ron with me. We were the two youngest, practically inseparable.” She paused, studying his reaction. He remained calmly poised, waiting for her to continue. Ginny hugged her arms around him tightly, almost possessively. “Don’t die, alright? I… I couldn’t…”

“Shh,” Draco interrupted, smoothing her hair gently. “I’m not going to die any time soon.” He paused, then continued in a snooty voice, “The world wouldn’t be able to survive without my good looks gracing it.”

He successfully earned a little smile out of Ginny, which made him more at ease. He was better dealing with her when she could take a joke than when she was a basketcase.
“Thank you,” she whispered.

“Anytime, Red.”

She paused for a moment, then leaned forward and kissed him chastely on the mouth. “I mean it- thank you,” she whispered against his lips.

And the two fell asleep, holding onto each other with the desperateness that came with being abandoned by the rest of the world.
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=2864