Amongst the Stars by dl_o
Summary: One-shot ficlet of short vignettes of Draco and Ginny with scenes from pre-war to post war. Just some more of that good old sappiness.
Categories: Completed Short Stories Characters: None
Compliant with: None
Era: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1567 Read: 2549 Published: Jun 27, 2005 Updated: Jun 27, 2005

1. Amongst the Stars by dl_o

Amongst the Stars by dl_o
Amongst the Stars

A/N: Really short one-shot ficlet that came from a what was suppose to be a long fic. So it the vignettes don’t really connect, but just let your imagination flow to fill in the gaps! And of course, I disclaim all that you know belongs to JKR or anyone else you feel like I have copied from. Whatever else you’ve never seen before is created by my imagination.

“WEASLEY! COME BACK!” he had chased her for what felt like hours to reclaim the picture of him she had taken while he was resting on the field.

Without any means of giving up, she ran on excitedly. “CATCH ME IF YOU CAN MALFOY!!” turning just for a split second to stick her tongue out at him.

“YOU ARE GOING TO BE BEGGING FOR MERCY WHEN I AM DONE WITH YOUR SORRY FRECKLED BOTTOM!” He shot her death glares, while catching for a breath. It wasn’t that he was not fit, he did practice 16 hours of quidditch every week, it was just purely because she had astounding stamina. He never understood where she gets her energy but there were many things that amazed him about her, and that was simply one of them.

“Ooh! Bollocks!” without realizing the height of the tree trunk ahead of her, she tripped over it and fell onto the ground. "Ow…ugh…bloody roots,” before she could lift herself up he was already beside her. He didn’t allow for his concern to leak out and quickly hauled her over his shoulder. “Hey! Let go of me! I’ll give you back the picture okay…? It was just a dare…it’s not like I am going to sell it off to your giggling fans.”

He swiftly dropped her from his shoulder onto a soft patch of grass and looked at her with his piercing silver eyes which pretty much indicated, “Shut up.” He pulled off her shoes and socks with ease, and not slipping out a word during the whole process, he examined for injuries. Finally opening his mouth, he pulled out his wand and mumbled a spell to quickly immobilize her sprained ankle. “Weasley. You have got to stop being such a dimwitted twit. If you want to pull off a prank, choose a target that’s suitable for your level okay?” He flashed her his signature smirk as a sign of victory while snatching the picture out of her hand and quickly pocketed the photograph.

“Malfoy…do you really hate me?” Ginny questioned him with honest curiousity.

“No. I simply care too little about you to put in an effort to hate.” Draco replied smoothly.

“Really? Then why is it that you get your knickers in a knot every time I am around you? It seems to me that you suffer a bad case of Ginnaranoia.”

“Eh?” he raised his eyebrow in query.

“Well, every time I am around you, you seem more paranoid. To be completely honest, this may be a little disappointing to you, but I don’t find you scary. I find our library encounters extremely amusing and I rather enjoy the pleasure of your company.”

“Well, don’t worry, Ginny Weasley, you don’t affect me that much. Not to the point of Ginnaranoia or whatever it is you bloody called it.”

“Malfoy?”

“Yes? Now what, carrot-top?” he smirked at her.
Maybe she was imagining it, but she felt that right then that his smirk was equivalent to a friendly smile in Malfoy’s language. “Nothing really…I was just wondering if we could be…friends?” she had hesitated for a second but decided to let her Gryffindor bravery take charge and say what she feels.

“Friends?” was his sole response.

She knew through his tone that the term “friends” was as strange to him as the taste of caviar was to her. She found a way to use his reaction anyways, “yes! Of course I’ll be your friend.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------


“How do I look?” She asked as she swirled into the room.

He watched a whirl of silky scarlet hair and deep indigo velvet stop in front of him and fell back onto the edge of the desk. “You are beautiful,” in his bedazzled state, those three words was the only comprehensible speech he could choke out at the moment.

Laughing lightly, she looked at the stunned boy in front of her. The boy that wouldn’t flinch even at the sight of gushing blood was now staring at her with such intensity and passion she did not know how to respond except with a joke to break the atmosphere. “Am I beautiful enough that you are thinking of how to throw me on your bed and ravish me with all you’ve got?”

“No, I am afraid to touch you…” he softly replied to her teasing.

Slightly offended, she quirked an eyebrow at him.
He captured this silence as an opportunity to take in as much of her beauty as he could. The gentle lighting of the room illuminated her auburn curly tresses that were simply held up by a dragonfly pin. The delicate fires of the candles were reflected in her amber eyes which were framed by strong, animated eyebrows. The simple velvet dress hugged into her petite physique and accented each fragile curve. A river of freckles flowed over the bridge of her small nose that sat above lush ruby lips.

He looked back at her expression and said in a slightly frightened tone, “I am afraid that if I touched you, you’ll vanish before my eyes. I am afraid that I will awaken from this dream and you will return to where you belong, amongst the stars in the ranks of the angels.”

She held out her hands to touch his pale face and his platinum hair. “Draco…I’m here to stay.”

He wrapped his arms around her tiny body pulling her into him while burying his head into her chest. “Ginny,” he addressed her as if to reiterate the fact to himself that she is, in fact, with him.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------


“LET GO OF ME.”

She tore his hands off her arms, they had left a vivid red mark on her pale freckled skin.

“Ginny, come back! Listen to me!” He didn’t know what he could do at this point.

“What do you have to say? What can you say that I won’t possibly get from anyone else? What is it? WHAT BLOODY THINGS ARE THERE TO LISTEN TO YOU ABOUT?” she pushed him out of her path. “GET OUT OF MY BLEEDING WAY.”

“GINNY! I understand you.”

“YOU UNDERSTAND ME? HOW CAN YOU SAY YOU UNDERSTAND ME? Heir of Death Eater Lucius Malfoy thinks that he can understand poor, dirty, little Weasley? YOUR FATHER was not the one that is dying because he is fighting for his people! You don’t have brothers that paid the ultimate sacrifice because of this ridiculous war. What do you know?”

“You’re right. I’m not the one that had that happen to me. But I know what it’s like to have your world fall apart on you. I know how it feels to have the people nearest and dearest to you be torn away from you. My mother’s life was taken away because of the war. By my father, no less.”

Despite her own rage, she could hear the shattering of his heart that they tried so carefully to glue together. She could feel daggers flying through her own aching heart and all she could do was give into his embrace. To allow him rock her tenderly as his own trembling tried to find an end.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------


She allowed the last of his ashes fall through her fingers into the deep endless sea. The stream of silver beams reflected off from the sea reminded her of his mercury eyes, forever swirling with anger, despair, passion and trust. It was rare for a man hurt in so many ways in his life to find trust and believe. He was an exception. He found a way to trust life no matter how many times it plunged him through darkness. His faith made her believe. She would never forget the man who faced the world with courage beyond all his fears. The man who made her promise to be brave no matter how menacing the world can be. He told her that Life is simple. You live and you die. He told her that it is Living that’s hard. But she has not broken one promise to him. And she know that this one will be hard to keep but she will not let his one last wish fail.

“Draco…From not knowing of your existence to realizing your existence, then from despising your existence to enjoying to your existence, somewhere along the lines that I would not have been able to live without your existence. Somewhere in time I fell in love with you…somehow I know I know that I’ll always love you. In me, you will forever exist. I know you won’t rest in peace. Of course, you’ll be too busy guarding me, up there amongst the stars in the ranks of the angels.”

Smiling, she turned to face the world once again, in courage.
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=3016