Smiles by Indigo Child
Summary: She smiles, he scowls… truly, it must be love.
Categories: Completed Short Stories Characters: None
Compliant with: None
Era: None
Genres: Angst, Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 530 Read: 3516 Published: Jan 15, 2006 Updated: Jan 15, 2006

1. Chapter 1 by Indigo Child

Chapter 1 by Indigo Child
Author's Notes:
This Christmasy, but fluffy, one-shot was written for jacyevans as a pressie for Christmas 2005.

How could she possibly be smiling all the time?  Not just now, during this time of year, but always?  No matter when he saw her, that ridiculous smile was always plastered across her face.

No matter how hard he tried, he just couldn’t understand it.  After all, she was poor and had a terribly history in choosing boyfriends and then there was that whole ‘Chamber’ incident.  He chuckled to himself for a brief moment as the flash of the memory of learning that bit of information crossed his mind.  Suddenly, he became distracted and found his fingers tracing small scars, tiny imperfections, running across the knuckles of his right hand.

And then there was Potter.

He sneered, almost growled.  What did she see in him?  Really, he wasn’t that special nor did he possess any true intellect… so he could conjure a patronus, so what?  It was all luck and look at how cruelly he dumped her.

At that moment, the sound of her laughter echoed across the room to where he was sitting… staring.  It filled his ears, making him cringe.  That was it.  He couldn’t take it any longer.

The boy abruptly stood up and slowly, quietly, stalked his way over to where the girl was sitting.  All the while his sweaty palms rubbed over a small little box he carried in one of the pockets of his robes.

After several long strides, he finally was standing in front of the red-head.  She just looked up at him and arched an eyebrow in bewilderment.  The boy blinked and then sneered.  Finally, he reached into his pocket and thrust the little box he’d been holding onto at the girl.

“Happy Christmas, Weasley,” he leaned down to give her a quick kiss on the cheek and then stormed away in a great huff, his dark robes billowing after him as he walked hurriedly away.

The red-haired girl blushed and for a few long moments could not tear her eyes away from the back of the blond head that was walking away from her.  Her friends had gone deathly quiet because of the little scene they’d just witnessed and this made Ginny’s stomach go queasy.  She wasn’t sure what had just happened, but she at least needed to know what the Slytherin had given her.  So, she excused herself from her friends momentarily and made way towards another table where she could have a little privacy.

While walking to the other table, she opened the box.  A small gasp escaped her lips and then there was that ridiculous smile plastered across her face again.  Inside the box was a silver chain.  And on that chain was a little golden snitch with silver wings.  It was a beautiful pendant.  Immediately, her eyes searched for the boy who had given her the gift.

There he was standing alone in a dark corner.  She could see that he was looking at her and her stomach went all fluttery again, but the sensation was welcome and even pleasant.  Finally, she mouthed the words thank you to him.

At that moment, Draco felt his heart flutter.  She liked his gift, she really liked it and then he suddenly felt his own ridiculous smile plaster across his face.

This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=4119