Hero by Sloshie
Summary: And they say
that a hero can save us.
I'm not gonna stand here and wait.
I'll hold onto the wings of the eagle,
watch as they all fly away...

This is a short and bittersweet songfic.
Categories: Completed Short Stories Characters: None
Compliant with: None
Era: None
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 923 Read: 2385 Published: Feb 17, 2006 Updated: Feb 18, 2006

1. Chapter 1 by Sloshie

Chapter 1 by Sloshie
Author's Notes:
'Hero' is by Chad Kroeger.
I am so high, I can hear heaven
I am so high, I can hear heaven
Whoa, but heaven...no, heaven don't hear me

Ginny Weasley stood, breathing hard, in the middle of a graveyard with Draco Malfoy at her side. They were both drenched in sweat and blood, tired from fighting. Before them stood the remainders of what was once a human being, and was now a monster. His red eyes flashed with great malice in the light of the fire surrounding them. People were screaming and crying out as they fell to their deaths. But, there in the middle of the graveyard two brave, young lovers stood in the midst of it all, not ready to give up. They had come too far to fall. They’d fought for too long. There was no turning back—not ever.

And they say
That a hero could save us
I'm not gonna stand here and wait
I'll hold onto the wings of the eagles
Watch as we all fly away

The only thoughts running through Ginny Weasley’s head were thoseof Harry Potter—The Boy Who Lived—and why he wasn’t there at that very moment, fighting along with his friends and fulfilling the prophecy. What a coward he must be, Ginny thought, to turn his back on all of us when we need him the most. Ginny panted and stepped closer to Draco as Lord Voldemort raised his wand higher.

“You cannot win this time!” Voldemort exclaimed in a shrill, inhuman voice. “Young Potter isn’t here to save you anymore!”

Ginny grabbed Draco’s hand and laced hers fingers around his. If they were going to die, they would at least do it together. Ginny breathed deeply and raised her wand up to Draco’s level. She wasn’t going to give in to Voldemort’s taunts. She would never give in.

Someone told me
Love would all save us
But, how can that be
Look what love gave us
A world full of killing
And blood spilling
That won’t ever change

Ginny and Draco yelled, in unison, ‘Expelliarmus’ just as Voldemort uttered the killing curse. It had been just like Harry’s experience, as he had described it to Ginny. Draco and Ginny fought against Voldemort with all their might, but it seemed like he was going to win. Nevertheless, they pressed on and Ginny tightened her grip on Draco’s hand. Everything around them seemed to have stopped. There were no more screaming, no more footsteps. Was everyone dead? Or had time just stopped completely. Chills went up Ginny’s spine as someone stepped next to her. She looked over and gasped. Now she knew the reason for the silence.

And they say
That a hero could save us
I'm not gonna stand here and wait
I'll hold onto the wings of the eagles
Watch as we all fly away

“Harry,” Ginny whispered as she struggled against Voldemort’s strength. “What…what took you so long?”

Harry looked Ginny in the eye and she saw a pain and a sadness that she had never experienced before lying within them.

“I’ll explain later,” Harry said as he pulled out his wand. He pointed it right at Lord Voldemort and, without any feeling of sadness or regret he uttered, ‘Avada Kedavra’. The light which came from his wand was so immense that it sent Ginny and Draco tumbling backwards and they were both knocked into a state of unconsciousness.

Now that the world isn't ending
It's love that I'm sending to you
It isn't the love of a hero
And that's why I fear it won't do

Not sure of how long she’d been out Ginny cautiously sat up. She surveyed her surroundings. Many people lay, dead, on the damp ground. She could see Harry helping Neville Longbottom find living people. Voldemort must have died, Ginny thought happily, now everything will be fine. Draco and I can be married. But, before her, a man stood over another person and seemed to be weeping. Ginny stood up as slowly as possible and walked toward the man. His head was drooped and he covered it with his hands. But Ginny could see from the light of the moon that his hair was a silvery blond.

“Draco,” Ginny whispered. “What’s wrong--“ Ginny gasped as she saw the person that Draco was standing over. It was her. Her body lay before Draco, still and lifeless.

And they say
That a hero could save us
I'm not gonna stand here and wait
I'll hold onto the wings of the eagles
Watch as we all fly away

Ginny wept as she realized what had happened. The blast from Harry’s curse must have been too strong for her in her weak state. Now she was separated completely from Draco, her one true love. They’d spent years together and now they would have to spend years apart. Ginny’s heart broke as Draco’s sobs increased. She felt something tugging at her. It was time. She slowly walked over to Draco and whispered in his ear, ‘I love you’. Draco lifted his head, as though he had heard something. Ginny smiled and closed her eyes as she made her way to the gates of heaven.

And they're watching us
They're watching us
As we all fly away
And they're watching us
They're watching us
As we all fly away
And they're watching us
They're watching us
As we all fly away
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=4196