Happy New Year Indeed by Hearts Cadence
Past Featured StorySummary: Ginny accepts a bet to kiss Draco at midnight, but she never anticipated what happens after.
Categories: Completed Short Stories Characters: Draco Malfoy, Ginny Weasley, Other Characters
Compliant with: None
Era: Hogwarts-era
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3820 Read: 7248 Published: Jan 02, 2007 Updated: Jan 02, 2007

1. Chapter 1 by Hearts Cadence

Chapter 1 by Hearts Cadence
A/N – Sorry this is a bit late for New Years, but I’ve been visiting family out-of-state and staying with my grandpa who refuses to join the rest of the world in the 21st century and buy a computer, SO this is the earliest I could post.

This is a little bit different than my other one-shots just in the way I portray the characters, and it’s MUCH shorter too. Hope you like it!

Oh, and I promise this is the last holiday one-shot (well…until the next holiday lol). From now on, it’s RIGHT back to Not Quite Fate. (In case you were wondering what happened to that story.) Okay! I’m done now.

- - - - -

Happy New Year Indeed

Ginny crouched down behind a row of bookshelves, considering him silently with Collin beside her.

“I still say he’s not so scary,” Ginny whispered to the latter. “I mean he’s a git, yeah, but not worth all the energy Harry wastes worrying about him.”

Collin lifted his shoulders in an uncomfortable shrug. “And I still say you should just forget the stupid bet. It’s not worth it.”

Ginny rolled her eyes. “Who are you, Ron? Just relax. It’s really not such a big deal. Besides, Lavender would never let me live it down.”

“Don’t see why you couldn’t have just let her alone in the first place.”

“Because,” Ginny said, exasperated, “I got tired of hearing her brag about how much all the boys want her. I can’t stand girls like that. I snapped, all right?”

“So you had to bring Malfoy into it?”

Ginny scowled, turning her gaze back to the Slytherin in question who currently slouched comfortably at one of the tables, one leg stretched out before him, the other bent, and a book open in front of him. He somehow managed to look totally focused, yet still maintain his air of bored disinterest. “I told you. She said name one boy who wouldn’t fall over himself for a chance with her. I couldn’t think of anyone else who would turn her down for sure. Not on such short notice.”

Collin shook his head. “I still think you should have just walked away when she dared you to try better.”

“Are you kidding? Me walk away from a dare?” She drew herself up proudly. “Besides, it wasn’t just a dare. It was a bet. If we kiss at midnight, she’s not allowed to talk about boys in the common room anymore. I’m doing everyone a favor here.”

“Except you have a better chance of Snape letting you kiss him,” Collin pointed out dryly. “And if you lose, you’re stuck tutoring her in Arithmancy all year so she won’t get held back again.”

Ginny made a face. “Don’t put that image in my head. And I’m not talking about Snape.” She braced herself against the shelf and rose, slipping off her robes to reveal her school uniform beneath, and unfastened the first few buttons of her top, just enough to tease without being revealing. “Right, I’m going in. Wish me luck.”

“Luck,” Collin muttered glumly.

Ignoring his decided lack of enthusiasm, she tossed back her hair and sauntered out from behind the bookshelf to Malfoy’s table, a noticeable sway in her hips. Ginny knew Lavender thought she was some fumbling little school girl, but she knew how to use her assets when the need arose, and this went beyond the stakes of some silly bet. This was a matter of pride now, and she could already picture the incredulity on Lavender’s face when Ginny proved her wrong.

A tiny smile played on her lips at the daydream, and it still remained when she finally stopped across from Malfoy. She leaned her weight on a hand placed on the back of a chair, the position naturally pressing her torso forward just slightly and accentuating the curve of her hip. He gave no indication of noticing her, so she asked, “Good book?”

If he really had been unaware of her presence, he hid it well as he slowly lifted silver-blue eyes from the page. His gaze flicked up her body, expression unreadable, before finding her face. “Do you really care?”

She smiled. “Not really.” He raised his eyebrows, seeming surprised by her honesty, and then a faint smirk appeared on his lips. Encouraged by his response, she asked, “Mind if I sit?”

He shrugged. “I know I own a lot of things, but believe it or not, the library is still public for now. Do what you like.”

Ignoring his swollen ego, Ginny pulled out a chair and sat, crossing one leg and subtly raising her skirt above her knee in the process. She leaned forward, tilting her head just enough so that loose, scarlet waves fell to one side of her face. She studied him a moment, intensely aware of his eyes on her doing the same. “You’re not curious why I came over?”

“I’ll find out soon enough, I’m sure.”

Her lips twitched towards a smile. “You don’t do things like most people, do you Draco Malfoy?”

He smirked. “Probably because I’m not like most people, Ginevra Weasley.” He took her aback with that, and she wondered where he learned her full name, and more importantly, why he remembered it. Most of her own housemates didn’t even know her proper name. Most of them still called her Virginia when they wanted to use her full name. He leaned back in his chair, crossing both ankles and arms. “Well?”

Jarred out of her musings, she smiled playfully at him. “I’m sorry, you’ll have to be a bit more specific than that.”

He sighed. “Fine, I’ll play. What do you want, Weasley?”

She slid forward a bit and rested her chin in her hands. “Nothing too painful. Just have a question for you.” He inclined his head a little, which Ginny took as her go-ahead. “It’s about the New Year’s Eve party tonight.”

“Ah, you mean the secret party in the Room of Requirement that the professor’s aren’t supposed to know about?”

She grinned. “That’s the one. Are you going?”

“Aren’t you sort of taking a chance asking the Head Boy that question, Weasley? I’m sure Granger has no idea.”

Ginny shrugged, lifting her chin off her hand, leaning her weight on both forearms instead. “You already knew anyway, obviously.”

“Yes, but you didn’t know that,” he pointed out.

“And you would bother yourself with breaking up a party on your holiday?” Ginny asked, a knowing smile on her lips.

He chuckled at that. “Good point. To answer your question, no, I’m not going.”

For the first time a frown pulled at her mouth. “Really? Why not?”

Now he leaned forward as well, those eerily penetrating silver eyes locking onto hers. “And why would the littlest Weasley care about my social habits?”

Refusing to let him intimidate her, Ginny only offered a sultry smile and looked at him through lowered lashes. “Can’t tell. It’s a secret.”

A mocking smile curled his lip. “That so.”

She nodded gravely. “Afraid it is. So what do you say? Will you reconsider?”

He leaned back again, regarding her with an air of mild interest and cool arrogance. Finally, he gave his head a slow shake. “Much as I hate to shatter your fantasies, I’ll pass. Unless you’ve got a real reason I should change my mind…?”

It took a mighty effort not to lash out for that stuck-up comment, but she somehow managed. Instead, she titled her head just so, favoring him with a small, enticing smile. “I’ll be there,” she told him innocently.

He chuckled and leaned in close as if he intended to confide in her. In low tones he said, “I don’t know your game, Weasley, but I don’t want to play. My answer is no.” He held her eyes for one more breathless, suspended moment, then he rose up languidly, giving her one last casual study. “Don’t get me wrong, it was interesting. Anyone else and it probably would have worked.” Then with one last smirk and a swirl of black robes, he left.

Ginny stared after him in shock, unable to believe he would pass up the blatant suggestion in everything she’d said and done. He was right — anyone else and it would have worked, damn him.

Collin walked out from behind the bookshelf and sat beside her. “Well. That went well.”

“Shut it,” she muttered, still annoyed by Malfoy’s stubbornness.

“Does that mean you’re going to forfeit this stupid bet?” he asked hopefully.

She twisted around to stare at him. “Are you crazy?”

“But he just said he’s not even going to be there.”

Ginny frowned, then taking a deep breath, she smiled instead. “Then I guess we’ll just have to change his mind, won’t we?”

- - - - -

“It’s never going to work,” Collin announced for the dozenth time as he stabbed a carrot with his fork. Most students were already finished with supper and gone, getting ready for whatever plans they had for the night. Exactly the way Ginny wanted it.

She flashed an annoyed look in his direction. “It better. This is the last time I see him before tonight, unless I went down to his common room or something, and I’d really rather have needles stuck in my eye than go down there, thanks.”

“I just don’t see why you think this will do anything. You already talked to him,” Collin complained.

“Yes, but I went about it all wrong then. I should have known that the only way to get to a Malfoy is through his ego.”

Collin looked doubtful. “I don’t know….”

“Well, I do.” She pushed away from the table, shaking out her skirt. “Just watch.” Without another backward glance, she walked casually over to the nearly empty Slytherin table and sat down across from Malfoy.

The blond looked up from the newspaper he’d been reading while the remnants of his mashed potatoes grew cold. “You again.”

“Nice to see you too,” she teased.

He snorted softly and looked back down to his paper, apparently dismissing her. Attention narrowed to his reading, he drawled, “Still not going. You’re wasting your time, Weasley.”

“Glad you brought that up,” she said brightly, reaching over and plucking a grape out of a bowl on the table. She popped it into her mouth, taking her time to chew it as she studied him. “I figured out why you’re staying away.”

“Congratulations,” he said disinterestedly, turning a page of his paper.

Ginny nodded. “You’re scared.”

For the first time since she came over, he lifted his gaze from the paper. “Come again?”

She smiled coyly. “Truth’s hard to take, isn’t it?”

Malfoy rolled his eyes. “You’re nutters, Weasley. Why would I be scared?”

Ginny shrugged. “Lots of reasons. You’re afraid of getting caught and having your Head Boy status taken away. You’re afraid people won’t accept you because this is more than just Slytherins and, let’s face it, you’re not the most charming fellow. You’re afraid — ”

“All right, I get the idea,” Malfoy snapped.

Ginny smiled, helping herself to another grape. “Am I right?”

He sneered. “Hardly.”

“Sounds like denial to me,” Ginny sang, nicking his paper and flipping absently through.

Malfoy snatched it back. “Then you’d better get your ears checked. I’m not bloody scared to go to some party. Did it ever occur to you that maybe I’d just rather avoid the immaturity of a ‘secret party.’”

“And that sounds like rationalizing,” Ginny informed him. “But fine, hide behind your excuses.” She smiled teasingly. “I won’t tell anyone else you’re just chicken.” Then before he could argue more or find a way to recover his wounded pride, Ginny got up and walked away, a satisfied smile on her lips.

“Well? Is he going?” Collin asked when she got back to their table.

Not wanting to give Malfoy the chance to approach her and somehow get in the all-important last word, Ginny waved for Collin to follow her out of the Hall. As they walked through the doors, she assured him, “He’ll be there.”

- - - - -

“He’s not here.”

Ginny rolled her eyes. “Why, thank you, Collin. I couldn’t see for myself, you know, and I was getting awful curious. It’s been a whole five seconds since the last update.”

Collin sulked. “Just saying….”

Just then Lavender sauntered up in a daring purple dress, apparently finding no difficulty in weaving through the throng of dancing students even in her spiked heels. “Fantastic party, don’t you think?” she called over the music.

Trying to hide her annoyance, Ginny looked around and nodded. Music played loudly all around them, impressive lights flashing in time to the beat, refreshment tables bordering the room and confetti filtering down non-stop, though it evaporated as soon as it hit the floor. And the beauty of using the Room of Requirement was that no one had to raise suspicions by setting it up, and they could leave and it would all be gone in an instant.

“Great party,” Ginny finally agreed.

Lavender looked her over critically with purple-shadowed eyes. “You look good,” she finally judged, but Ginny detected the sarcastic edge to her words.

Ignoring that edge, Ginny inclined her head in thanks. She knew manners dictated she return the compliment, but she couldn’t bring herself to say that Lavender’s skimpy outfit looked good. Honestly, Ginny thought it looked plain whoreish, and she was thrilled now that she’d chosen a bit more modest dress.

She’d almost decided on a sexy little black number that wasn’t too far off, hoping it would help with Malfoy, but changed her mind at the last minute, opting for a strapless, crimson dress the color of her hair that reached her knees with a neat little flare; a string of faux rubies rested on her neck to tie it together, her shoes red strappy heels, and her hair tumbling down her back in curls that had taken forever to perfect, held away from her face by a ruby-studded barrette. She’d “borrowed” most of the ensemble from Hermione, but the Head Girl would never need to know that.

After waiting expectantly a few seconds longer, Lavender gave a tiny pout that quickly turned into a triumphant smirk. “So, Ginny. Midnight’s only a few minutes away, and I don’t see Draco Malfoy anywhere.”

Ginny forced a tight smile and was about to come up with some excuse when a flash of platinum caught her eye. She looked over Lavender’s shoulder and her smile turned genuine. “Probably because he’s right behind you,” Ginny said sweetly.

Lavender whirled and lifted her head to see that it was indeed Malfoy behind her. She looked him over with the same critical eye she’d given Ginny, but by the sudden gleam of interest in her eye, Ginny knew that he met with much greater approval. Even Ginny had to admit he looked good. His blond hair fell free and soft over his forehead, stopping just above intense silver-blue eyes, and both stood out all the more because of the contrast from his black oxford shirt, worn with casual gray slacks.

He arched one pale brow at Lavender. “Try not to drool. It’s highly unattractive.”

Ginny stifled her laughter behind one hand while Lavender snapped her mouth shut, the seductive expression so automatic to the girl replaced by a look of rigid anger. “I just saw some friends,” she snapped, turning sharply and flipping her hair haughtily over her shoulder as she did. As she brushed none too gently by Ginny she hissed, “You have until midnight.” She smirked and sang softly, “Good luck.” Then she disappeared into the crowd.

Ginny watched her go, still smiling, then glanced toward a clock on her right. Five minutes until midnight. She turned back to Malfoy. “You came.”

“Remarkable observation skills you’ve got,” he drawled, moving up beside her and folding his arms over his chest.

Ginny smiled, putting her elbows on the table behind her and leaning back. “You look different when you’re not in uniform.”

“I could say the same to you.” He deliberately let his eyes travel over her from head to heels. “Who knew the Weasley’s actually had a daughter hidden beneath all those baggy hand-me-downs.”

She rolled her eyes. “I’m going to take that as a compliment,” she informed him.

His lips quirked, and he leaned back against the table next to her. “All right Weasley, why am I here?”

She gave him a quizzical look. “How should I know? You came all on your own.”

“You know what I mean. You wanted me to come, and you obviously had a reason for it.”

Ginny only smiled mysteriously and glanced back at the clock. One minute. Feeling a moment’s cold panic grip her, she quickly turned to grab his hand and give him a tug toward the front of the room. “Come on, the countdown’s about to start.”

He raised his eyebrows. “Midnight’s going to come just the same back here as it will up there.”

Ginny shook her head fervently, curls bouncing on her shoulders. The bet demanded she kiss Malfoy in plain view, where Lavender and other witnesses could see and know for sure, not in some dark corner. But he was being stubborn, and time was running out.

“No it won’t. There’s going to be lots more celebrating going on up there.”

Malfoy rolled his eyes. “Oh, well, you didn’t say that.”

Her eyes flitted over to the clock. About thirty seconds. “Draco, come on, quit being such a git! You’re here, you might as well go the whole way!”

He shook his head. “Sorry, no.” He waved his hand. “You go on, though. I’ll watch.”

She stomped her foot, not caring how childish it made her look. “Damn it Malfoy! Would you just get the hell up there with me?!”

His eyebrows climbed high up his forehead, then a slow, amused smirk spread over his face. “This has to do with why you wanted me here so bad, doesn’t it?”

The countdown started, a chorus of “Ten! Nine!...” filling the room. She turned around in distress and saw Lavender’s smug face giving her a mocking wink.

Desperate, Ginny whirled back to Draco and yelled, “Yes! And if you don’t get your arse up front, I swear I’ll spend the rest of the year making you as miserable as I’ll be if you don’t move!

Six! Five!...

Malfoy cocked his head, considering her curiously, his arms still folded casually over his chest.

Four! Three!...

“Malfoy, I’m warning you!” Ginny called, her fists white-knuckled and her heart slamming wildly. All she could see was Lavender’s smug face and a disastrous year spent tutoring the self-obsessed girl every evening. Collin was right, she never should have taken the stupid bet. Malfoy was too unpredictable, too stubborn, too sadistic.

The thoughts zipped through her mind in less than a second, then to her immeasurable shock, Malfoy heaved a great sigh and grabbed her hand.

“Fine, but if this is a trap, I promise you that you’ll be the miserable one,” he called over his shoulder as he strode to the front of the room.

They stopped, front and center and under the bright shine of a spotlight — Lavender’s doing, obviously — just as the students screamed out, “One!

Cheers rang through the room, explosions of confetti rained down and even mini-fireworks went off. Couples turned to each other and fulfilled tradition with a quick kiss, laughing and celebrating.

Ginny looked up at Malfoy, taking in his expectant, raised-eyebrow expression, then without giving herself time for self-doubt, reached up and threaded her fingers through that silken blond hair of his, yanking his lips down to hers.

At first she went about the task with cool, detached professionalism, simply trying to coax him into reciprocation with single-minded determination. After he did that, she was in the clear, and she could bid a cheerful goodbye to Lavender’s bragging. Yes, his lips were smooth and cool, tasting of spicy cinnamon, and yes, she could feel the muscle in his shoulders and chest as she ran her hands down his front, but this was strictly business.

But then he shifted so that she was at a better angle, his hands gliding down her sides to rest on her hips, his gentle pull closing any space between them. She felt goose-bumps rise all over her skin at his touch, a completely foreign heat melting the strength from her limbs. Then he started moving his lips, and her mind emptied completely but for a giddy, powerful awareness of everywhere they touched.

When he pulled away she made a soft noise of protest, going on tip-toe to follow his lips. She heard him chuckle, felt him chuckle in the rumble of his chest and the vibrations of his lips, the curve of a smile against her mouth.

He broke the kiss again, murmuring, “We have an audience.”

Blinking dazedly, her eyebrows came together in confusion as her addled brain worked furiously to make sense of his words. He nodded towards the room, and she turned to see nearly every eye on them, staring in open-mouthed amazement.

And foremost among them all was Lavender, a look of disbelief and fury twisting her delicate features into something far less appealing, exactly as Ginny had imagined. Oddly enough, though, she didn’t get nearly as much satisfaction from the girl’s defeat as she thought she would. Something else had her too distracted for victory at the moment. Or rather, someone.

She looked up at Malfoy then, smiling mischievously. “Happy New Year, Draco.”

He smirked. “Happy New Year indeed.” His hand slipped into hers, and lowering his voice, he suggested, “Why don’t we finish this celebration somewhere a bit more private?”

Ginny thought that was a wonderful idea.

- - - - -

A/N - Well, I kind of just whipped this one out, so sorry if it's not up to par with my usual stuff. I more or less wrote it as just a fun quickie and decided to post it. Let me know what you thought!
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=5038