On the Eaves by Lynth
Summary: The one place in Hogwarts where no one would be.

Of course it's the one place they both show up.
Categories: Works in Progress Characters: Blaise Zabini (girl), Draco Malfoy, Ginny Weasley, Hermione Granger, Other Characters, Pansy Parkinson, Ron Weasley
Compliant with: HBP and below
Era: Hogwarts-era
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 7942 Read: 17316 Published: Oct 28, 2008 Updated: May 22, 2009
Story Notes:
Usual Disclaimer: Characters are not mine. I just play with them.

1. Dreams by Lynth

2. Of Parties, Girls, and Snakes by Lynth

3. Question and Answer by Lynth

4. Ritual and an Outsider by Lynth

5. Truths and Lies by Lynth

6. Twists and Turns by Lynth

Dreams by Lynth
Author's Notes:
Figured I'd start with a dream sequence. I know it's short-ish, but more to come soon. Please review.

Thanks to Mars for the Beta
She lay on the ground. Wet… Cold… It was dark in the Chamber, and that snake was somewhere. She was…Ginny. Yes, that was right. She had been tricked into coming down here by - what was his name? Tom, that was it. Tom Riddle. Voldemort.

Ginny lay in a pool of water, watching her own life drain from her body and solidify into Tom Riddle, the man who would be the Dark Lord of the wizarding world. It was odd, how calm she felt. Like she didn’t have a care. She watched Tom pace; he must be…waiting for something, someone. It was odd how she couldn’t quite focus on what he looked like. He was blurred, like…one of Colin’s bad pictures. She distinctly remembered Colin going on about it for hours.

She heard her name. “Ginny!” Someone ran over to her; he kept repeating, “Don’t be dead.”

‘Silly,’ she thought, ‘I’m not dead. Not yet.’

The boy talked to Tom, about the past weeks, months. How she had written in the diary, why he was there. Before Riddle finally revealed to him: “I am Lord Voldemort.” Spelled out in scratches in the air. Tom’s face contorted, and he hissed- like a snake….Tom would be a cute snake.

Ginny felt the huge snake issue from the mouth of the statue. She couldn’t be petrified, since her eyes were closed. How did she know what was happening?

But the question left her head as quickly as it had arrived. She could feel the beast’s dry scales on her face and chest as it slithered across her useless body towards the boy. As her thoughts attempted to focus, she idly wondered if Luna felt this off all the time or if it was just because she was dying that-

Tom crossed to her; the boy was…off splashing through the water. The snake followed with bloody eyes. Was he playing with it? What an odd place to…but Tom was talking wasn’t he? “…no intention of releasing you. I need you, your life is…” She watched the boy with the snake, he was running, she couldn’t see his face….and a bird- When had it gotten here? It had…a hat? The bird gave it to the boy, and he pulled a sword from it. Tom looked angry now…that wasn’t good; he wasn’t nice when he was angry.

The boy was escaping now, though; he was climbing the statue of the old man. His beard was like Dumbledore’s only…the snake was fighting him. Why did people have to fight? It just caused pain. Like when her brothers annoyed Percy, it drove her crazy.

The snake fell, dead. Riddle was yelling. He was Riddle, wasn’t he? Not her friend Tom. Tom didn’t yell or anything. He was her friend, not this…beast. She watched the boy lift the diary. Tom’s diary…Tom, this wasn’t Tom. Tom didn’t try to kill her. This was Riddle - he needed to go. Something flowed back to her. Tom’s image flickered, and the boy stabbed the journal with the dead snake’s fang.

Ginny’s view changed as she opened her own eyes. Her real eyes. She turned to her savior, expecting to see Harry Potter, but instead saw the expressionless face of Draco Malfoy.

She jumped up and back. “What are you doing here?” He said nothing, his face blank. She found she couldn’t move as he stepped towards her. His silky voice whispered in her ear, making her knees inexplicably weak, her breath quick, as his own warmed her ear. “Wake up, Ginny.”




Ginny sat up. She looked slowly around the room, still sensing danger. The rest of the girls in her dorm still lay asleep. It was very quiet. That was odd. Ginny stood quietly, crossing the threshold of the room, and walked down into the common room.

Ginny realized almost immediately that something was wrong. The coals in the grate were silent, with no cracks or pops. The clock above the hearth was mute. No noise could be heard at all in the room.

A warm body pressed against her, making her squirm. Ginny tried to turn, but the figure’s arms were around her and she couldn’t pry away. His hands slid down her sides, to her waist. Her breath came quickly again, and she shuddered as warm lips brushed her ear, gasping as they covered it. Her earlobe was run between his teeth and she let out a gasp- the first noise since she’d entered the room. His lips ran down her neck, making her go weak at the knees. Only the strong arms at her middle kept her from falling.

Her eyes fluttered closed as his hand ran lightly over her rear. Finally, pulling to reality, she turned. She sensed the warmth of his breath on her face, and felt his lips barely brush hers. Before he could pull back, her lips latched onto his mouth.

There was no resistance from her partner, just overwhelming experience and pleasure. She was tipped onto the common room couch as their lips came together repeatedly. She opened her mouth, and their tongues tangled in heated passion. She squeaked slightly as his hands wandered across her chest. Her thigh pressed against his warm crotch, gaining a shudder from her silent partner.

She shifted over, so that it was no longer her leg, and instead her warm, fabric incased flesh that moved over his own warmth as she wiggled, driving her partner insane with pleasure. Realizing that her eyes were still closed, Ginny opened them to look at who it was, that was smashing her breasts into her body with his own weight.

She looked up- into the face of Draco Malfoy.




For the second time, Ginny sat bolt upright in bed. She looked around the room. It was nothing like the image in her dream had been. This time there was sound, like the wind blowing against the window, and the other girls were moving in their beds. She noted the tiny bit of light coming in from the impending sunrise. This wasn’t a dream. Wanting to be sure, Ginny pinched herself, hissing at the light pain it caused.

Ginny grabbed her broom from the foot of her bed, and slipped out of the window. Flying over the grounds felt so good, and it was always a good way to clear her mind - something she dearly wanted to do after dreaming about…She shook the thoughts from her head. It was just a dream, it couldn’t feel that good to do…especially not with the ferret. Could it?

She noticed a lone figure sitting on the roof of the castle. ‘What an odd place to escape to…’ she thought. A dizzy spell came across her. Ginny could feel her hands slowly let go of the broom and she dropped from the sky.
End Notes:
Please, please, please review. It helps me keep writing.
Of Parties, Girls, and Snakes by Lynth
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Mars again for the wonderful beta-ing.

Thanks to all who reviewed. Keep it up guys. It's more help than you know.
Draco Malfoy breathed in the crisp air. The night brought him back to himself, blocked out the events of earlier. It had started all right, with a party and a girl. Now here he was, no girl, out of the party. Nothing at all.




Draco entered the Slytherin common room, Pansy Parkinson on his arm. Music was blaring, and the dance was going strong. Draco greeted Blaise and her date, making sure the boy knew that if he hurt his best friend, he would be dead.

He didn’t have time to start conversation before Pansy yanked him onto the dance floor. His body automatically moved to the beat of the music, although he wasn’t paying attention. He watched his girlfriend, mimicking her movements. She drove him crazy, leaning at weird angles and purposely showing off the lovely curves she wouldn’t let him touch. Yet.

Not that she hadn’t already let him. Pansy just objected to him touching during the dance- and had let him know this in very few words. He could understand that, even if it did irritate him.

Part way through the third or fourth song Draco got bored with the dancing and took a seat at one of the tables, sipping some punch. Blaise flounced over, skirts contrasting the boyish façade she’d shown for years.

“So…?” She looked at him coyly.

He laughed. “Dancing bores me.”

Blaise bit her lip. “That’s not the Draco I remember.”

He turned away, watching Pansy talking to Nott. It was true; it wasn’t the dancing that made him want to sit down. “Something’s just not right. It hasn’t been for awhile.”

Blaise grabbed his arm. “C’mon, I know you’ll dance with me.”

Draco smirked. “You just can’t resist someone as sexy as myself.”

Blaise swatted him. “C’mon Casanova, lets dance.” As she swept him away, Draco muttered, “Don’t have much of a choice do I?”

As they twisted and spun to the fast song, Draco watched his lovely partner. Blaise had been his best friend since they were both kids. The two had spent innumerable hours with one another. He was closer to her than he was his own family.

As he gazed at her, the lights made her face look beautiful. Blaise had grown into a woman while he wasn’t looking, but he was finding he didn’t mind. He sighed as he looked into her eyes.

She glanced up. “What is it?”

Draco looked away. “Why couldn’t I have fallen in love with you?”

“We weren’t meant to be lovers, Draco. Friends maybe, or family even, but not lovers.” She smiled at him kindly.

Before Draco could even respond, Pansy had swept in and pulled him off into a darker corner of the party. She grinned at him.

“Changed our mind, did we?” Draco smirked.

“Shut up,” Pansy commanded before forcing her mouth against his.

Draco’s experienced mouth molded to hers swiftly. She moaned in pleasure, yet Draco didn’t respond. He didn’t feel the overwhelming urge Pansy seemed to be consumed by. In the back of his mind was just the note that Pansy was an all right kisser.

The girl in question pulled her mouth back from his. “You don’t feel anything, do you?”

“What?” Draco said simply, but he knew that he agreed with her.

“It’s because I don’t have red hair, isn’t it?”

“What?!” Draco repeated, true confusion running through his voice now. “What are you talking about?”

“I’ve seen you talk to her in the halls. You seem to be with her all the time these days.”

Draco blanched, “You mean the Weasley? I’m not around her by choice, she drives me insane. Do you not remember that she hexed me forward, backwards and sideways?”

Pansy mumbled something.

“Hm…?” Draco inquired.

“I think your definition of hexed is different than mine.”

“Pansy! You’re being completely unreasonable!”

“I’m being- Urg!” Pansy slapped him.

The action didn’t have that much force behind it, but it surprised Draco and he fell into the crowd behind.

No matter how angry she had become, Pansy had never raised a hand, and yet here she had slapped him.

He became aware of eyes on him. The crowd in the common room was looking at him and Pansy. Each with a different look, but none as surprised as he was.

Draco picked himself up from the floor of the dungeon and fled the common room.

Out in the dungeon halls he stormed around, attempting to relieve his anger. He wasn’t actually mad at Pansy. Other than slapping him, she hadn’t done anything.
Blaise, too, had just been trying to cheer him up. Even the rest of his house hadn’t actually been at fault. Draco was just angry.

Finally he looked around, trying to self-locate. This was a corner of the dungeons he had not seen before. This was unusual. Draco had been sure that he knew every inch of the dungeons.

As he looked around, he saw a statue of a snake. He stopped before it, staring.

Suddenly the statue hissed, “What do you need child?”

Draco jumped at the noise. It was not uncommon for statues in the castle to talk, but Draco was not familiar with this particular statue.

“Nothing,” he growled slightly.

“You sound like a lion, dear snake. Relying on your own strength. Not taking advantage of services offered. I ask again: what do you need?”

Draco heard footsteps behind him in the corridor. Pansy or Blaise was looking for him.

“I need to get out of here,” he said quickly.

The statue’s body twisted around and it plunged into the wall. The stone surface rippled as if it was water. After a second the snake thrust its head from the wall. Its mouth opened wider, becoming a passage large enough for even the great oaf, Hagrid, to pass through. Draco hesitated, but hearing footsteps behind him, he stepped through the passage.




Draco pulled out of his memories. He was still confused as to how the passage in the dungeons had led him to the roof. This was Hogwarts though, and anything was possible.

He spat over the side of the castle, watching the fluid hit the ground. Quite the night he’d had.

As he watched, a figure on a broom flew over the grounds. Watching the figure’s erratic movements he could tell that the person- whoever it was- was just as frustrated with the world as he was.

As the broom passed over his head its path wobbled. Draco looked up just as the rider fell into his lap. He looked down…into the face of Ginny Weasley.

She was unconscious, thus the falling from the broom. The youngest Weasley, laying in his lap. This wasn’t exactly the plan for coming up here.

Pansy thought he had something going with this girl. He had to admit she was slightly good looking. She was a Weasley though. Forbidden. Even if she wasn’t, she hated him, and he was supposed to hate her.

He didn’t though- hate her that is. Her brother was a sodding git, but not her. She was kind to most everyone, except him. The only thing he could find wrong with her was that she still chased the dead shadow of Potter. The Boy Who Lived still hung around Hogwarts even after his death it seemed.

Her small form stirred in his lap. The heat from he body pressing up against the point in between his legs. Draco fought his body, but the arousal seeped through his body faster than anything he had ever felt.

Ginny’s form curled against him, molded to him. Her hands moved across his covered chest, and he hissed at the feeling that coursed through his body.

Her eyes shot open at the sound. Ginny jumped up and away from him. “Not you again.”

Draco moved towards her. “What? Again? Hey, you fell onto me. I didn’t…”

She continued backing up, and Draco’s voice trailed off as he realized that she was getting dangerously close to the edge of the roof platform.

“Weaslette- Weasley- Red-”

She toppled over the edge of the roof.

“Ginny…”
End Notes:
It would seem that Ginny is doing quite a bit of falling lately wouldn’t it…?
Question and Answer by Lynth
Author's Notes:
I forgot to mention during the last chapter, but the idea of Blaise and Draco's relationship is originally from "A Tale of Two Matchmakers" I probably won't delve as far into the background as the creator did, but it's a very similar type of thing.

Mars, thankies again for betaing
Draco leaped over the battlement after the red-haired girl. His momentum carried him faster than her and, almost immediately, Ginny was back in his arms. As she screamed, Draco let out a shrill whistle.

With a whoosh his broom shot from the shed on the grounds, the door banging open. The enchanted object raced towards the pair, catching them.

Draco let out a groan as he gained control of the broom. The girl that lay between him and his broom had stopped screaming, but she continued to shudder, which was throwing off his flying.

They landed on the same roof as before. Draco set Ginny next to him, holding her elbows until she was able to support her own weight.

Even after that point, they both sat. It was as if there was some silent decision between them. Draco finally spoke, “You want to ask me, Weasley. You might as well do so.”

She jumped at the sound of his voice, almost falling off the side again as she did so. “You called me Ginny. When I fell.”

He nodded. “I did.”

“Why did you do that?”

“Don’t take it personally, Red. I was just trying to stop you from falling.”

She said nothing.

“Fine then. My turn. What were you doing up here?”

The red-head giggled. “Your turn ? Playing games now, are we, Malfoy?”

“No. Just exchanging information. Answer the question.”

She squirmed. “I…was having weird dreams. I needed out of the castle.” A pause. “What about you?”

“I had a bad time at the Slytherin party.”

“That’s not very descriptive.”

“Neither was your answer.” This time Draco paused, but cut off her response with, “Why did you say, ‘Not you again.’?”

Ginny blushed. “Must I answer?”

“If you like responses to your questions.”

“You were in the dreams I was having.” She turned away.

“And this was a bad thing? Weasley, I’m shocked.” A look of mock offense crossed his face.

She looked around. “How did you get up here?”

Draco looked, too. The roof-top they were on was round, and appeared to be just above the Astronomy Tower. The stone work showed no blemish, yet Draco remembered opening a trap door to get up there.

“Secret passage,” he answered. “It must have sealed once I got up. No idea how I would’ve gotten down.” Draco thought for a moment before asking, “What kinds of dreams?”

Ginny’s blush was raging up her face by now. “The first was just a memory. Of the Chamber. Only- at the end- instead of Harry, it was you.”

“And the one you’re blushing about?”

Her face became impossibly redder, but she managed to keep her voice even. “That’s two questions, Malfoy. It’s my turn.”

“It is not. That was part of the question.”

“You can ask in a moment. I want to know why you saved me.”

Draco looked away. “It was reflex. Besides, even I’m not that Slytherin. Who wouldn’t save a beautiful girl such as yourself?”

“Was that a compliment, Ferret?” her voice pitched slightly higher and her eyebrows raised in comic surprise.

“No, Weasel. It was merely an observation. Any guy with brains and eyes can tell you aren’t a first year anymore.” He glanced at her, as if to say, ‘Now answer the question.’

Ginny giggled. “Fine. The other dream was of a more intimate nature.”

“Having fantasies about a Malfoy?”

The girl made a disgruntled sound and tried to hit him.

He block her arm. “Hey now, none of that. You know you liked it.”

After another pause, Draco rose. “We should get back inside. I’ll retrieve your broom.”

Before she could say anything he had lifted off on his broom, flying lazily to where her broom hovered in mid air.

Many thoughts ran through her head. Had she liked it? It had stressed her, truly, but until she’d seen his face- Had it been that bad? She shook her head. Why was she even considering this? Although, he had been warm, when she’d landed on him.

The doors of the castle slammed open and Professor McGonagall’s voice could be heard across the grounds.

“Mr. Malfoy! Get down here this instant!”
End Notes:
So...yeah. Keep reviewing! I'll have the next chapter up as soon as I can. I'm loving this, I hope you are as well....
Ritual and an Outsider by Lynth
Author's Notes:
Another chapter! Yay!

Thanks to Mars, my wonderful beta as always!
Ginny watched Draco’s form disappear into the castle. Her head of house did not give him a chance to talk before he was ushered through the doorways.

Ginny shivered as the wind picked up. The top of the castle was not the warmest place. She couldn’t even Accio her broom from here. If only she had Draco to keep her warm.

“Wanting something?” a voice hissed somewhere nearby.

She whirled around. At the corner of the platform was a small snake statue. “You weren’t there before,” Ginny murmured.

The stone snake hissed again. “Neither were you my dear, but that’s not the point.”

“What do you want from me?” Ginny said, watching the statue warily.

“What do I want from you? Nothing at all, my dear. No, the question is what do you want from me?”

“What do I want?” Ginny echoed.

“Yes, of course.” The silky voice laughed. “With our lovely snake that left just now.”

This broke Ginny out of her trance slightly. “With Malfoy? You’ve got to be kidding! I hardly know him. Don’t even like him that much.” She physically recoiled at the thought.

“Now what’s all this?” the statue purred, a glint in its lifeless eye. “I would think you’d be a little more appreciative of Draco. He did save your life.”

Her eyes were drawn to the statue’s green emeralds.

Ginny saw her reflection deep in the depths of those stone eyes. She looked so plain and ordinary. No one would want her. Not like this.

As she watched, her image twisted and distorted. Her lips became redder, more prominent. Her features became more mature, curvier. Her freckles cleared up as her body became more attractive.

Ginny didn’t notice any of this though. All she saw were the robes. The dark green Slytherin robes. She wanted that more than anything.

The snake just laughed.




Ginny looked up when someone shook her shoulder.

“Ron?” she said calmly. “How did you know I was up here?”

Her brother put a finger to his lips and gestured her over. “Someone told Colin you were up on the roof,” Ron whispered. “He wouldn’t tell us who.”

Ginny smiled and said a silent thank you to Malfoy for remembering her.

She swung her leg over Ron’s broom, settling in front of him. His warm body reminded her of the Slytherin who had just left.

They flew in the common room window, gently setting down next to the fire. When Ron tried to guide Ginny to her room she pulled away.

Noting the expression on her face, Ron nodded and walked up the stairs to his own room.

Ginny knelt down in front of the fire, picturing the face there. The face she hadn’t seen in many years.

“I don’t understand, Harry,” she spoke into the flames. “I loved you. I still do. Why? Why did ‘The Boy Who Lived’ have to die?” A few tears fell to the ground in front of the flames. “Should I let go, Harry? Even if not him, do I let go of you?”

She rose from the fire and picked up a piece of parchment. On it she made a loose heart.

Ginny went to the window looking out at the Forbidden Forest.

“I release this heart that I may know where mine own does lie. Should you hold my heart yet, so also hold this one. But if my heart be my own, return it free from harm. Let it be done.”

She let go of the paper watching the wind take it until she couldn’t see it anymore. Across the room the fire flashed.




Draco sat in his empty room. The room had been empty since Crabbe’s death. Greg hadn’t felt right in the room with just him and Draco in it. Not that he blamed him.

Still, these days the room seemed gigantic. There wasn’t anything to take up the space. No conversation or merriment. Not even someone snoring across the room. Draco had nothing but the cold stone walls.

He sighed. McGonagall hadn’t given him any punishment. Punishments had not been given all year. Not since Potter and Voldemort had died in the middle of the past year.

He spat at the fire and rose, heading back outside.

The air hadn’t warmed any, even though he could see the sun poking over the horizon. The sight reminded him of the red-head that he’d seen not too long ago. “Ginny,” he murmured. Her name felt odd on his lips.

Draco wandered into the forest. The dangerous wood was not that frightening to him these days. Not after last year. He sat down by a big tree. Its bulk blocked the wind nicely.

It wasn’t long before he heard a voice. “You are on our turf human.”

Draco looked up into the face of a centaur. The huge creature’s dark features were much the opposite of Draco’s near albino ones. Combining this with his size made him an imposing figure. He swallowed nervously, but stood calmly. “I apologize most humbly,” he said.

The creature sniffed the air. “You smell like a Malfoy. Are you mocking me, son of the arrogant family?”

Draco eyed the weapons at the creature’s side- a sword and crossbow- and swallowed nervously a second time. “In the past, I would have been.” He paused, but continued under the centaurs’ steady gaze, “Lately however, I’ve been trying to be less like my father and his ancestors.”

The creature eyed him closely. “You appear to be telling the truth, human of arrogant birth. I know not the reason for it, or for your presence in my home, but sit. Rest.”

He did, and the hulking figure lowered itself as well, folding its legs under it. After they had sat for awhile Draco spoke, “My name is-”

“Don’t!” the creature cut him off sharply. “The name is power. To share your name with one of the forest is a symbol of trust. Without trust comes death, or worse.”

“What’s worse than death?” Draco asked.

His companion looked at him. “You are one who should know this.”

Draco said nothing.

The forest dweller continued. “Here we describe one another in place of names. There are a fair amount of rules, but for now just pick something a bit longer.”

“So I could call you ‘Dark Protector of His Trees?’”

The centaur laughed. “I suppose you could. Now tell me what’s been bothering you?”

Draco looked at him cautiously.

“Come now,” the large creature laughed. “Why else would you be here?”

Draco nodded looking through the dark gnarled trees. “It’s only the Forbidden Forest,” he commented sarcastically, noting the fog drifting across the ground.

The centaur nodded and motioned for him to proceed.

Before Draco knew it the story was pouring from between his lips. He skipped over the statue speaking to him- assuming it would cause more confusion than necessary- but the rest of it flowed freely.

When he had finished speaking his mouth hung open a minute as if he was going to say more. When he noticed this he forcibly closed it.

The centaur was thoughtful a moment. “I would say you’ve had an interesting night.”

Draco nodded. “No shit.”

After another pause the creature asked, “If you like this girl, why do you not show it?”

Draco stared at him, open mouthed. “Like her? When did I say that?”

The other shrugged, “You did not, I inferred it. Was I wrong?”

Silence fell between them.

Finally the human spoke up. “Even if I did there are certain rules in society. I wouldn’t be able to show it even if I wanted to.”

“You and your rules.”

As Draco was about to respond he heard a twig snap in the distance. In one fluid movement the watcher of that which moves, had brought the crossbow from his flank and shot a bolt into the fog. “I think you should go now,” he said calmly.

The Malfoy heir rose. The centaur made no move to follow, so he walked off into the newly risen fog.

As the misty air swirled at his retreat, another form materialized from it. “You think you can trust him, Azlidun?” A female voice asked, the red hair and mane of the woman warming the foggy light from the moon.

“Yes, Naliana. The son of the Death Eater does not yet trust himself. That type of person can always be trusted.”




Draco made his way along the path out of the forest. The fog made it harder to follow, and the walk seemed longer than on the way in. Finally he reached the edge of the forest. A glance back at the path showed nothing, although Draco thought he saw a glint of green and heard something rustle through the invisible leaves.

He slowly made his way up to the castle, the centaur’s words ringing in his ears. “You and your rules.”

Since when had he listened to the rules? In his first few years at school he’d been told that rules were not for Slytherins, yet here he’d been following rules all along.

There was a fluttering sound and he looked up. A piece of paper blew into his chest, and the wind held it there. He looked up at the castle and noted the window of Gryfindor tower closing.

Draco looked at the piece of paper. On it was a lone heart, lightly scratched on the golden parchment.

“Hm…” Draco said, before he made his way into the dark dungeons; his spirits were somehow lighter than they had been before.
End Notes:
Those of you who are confused by Azlidun's actions, don't worry. All shall be explained. Just keep reading, just keep reading...

And reviewing! I love reviews!
Truths and Lies by Lynth
Author's Notes:
Hey...finally a chapter!

Thanks to all of you who have been reviewing

Thanks again to Mars for the Beta.
Ginny woke all at once the next morning. The events of the previous night stuck in her head. She had been on the roof with Draco Malfoy, and had had an actual conversation.

…and the ritual. She had wanted to see if Harry was still her love, to understand her own heart.

Ginny had done this many times over her during her relationship with Harry. Maybe it was set up so she would stay “true” to Harry, but wasn’t that the purpose?

She rose from the bed and took a quick shower. The warm water seemed to melt her worries away. Ginny dressed quickly and went down to get breakfast.

She took a plateful of pancakes and- after stealing it from Ron- added a generous amount of syrup.

Across the room she noticed a pair of eyes. A lone figure sat at the Slytherin table. Draco Malfoy appeared to be the only Slytherin awake.

Ginny smiled quietly at him. His expression didn’t change.

Breakfast seemed to take forever for Ginny. She tried to concentrate on whatever Hermione was talking about; however, whenever she looked up she saw Draco’s eyes on her.

“Ginny?” Ron asked. “Are you alright?”

“Yes,” she responded distractedly. “Yes I’m fine.”

Ron followed her gaze to the Slytherin table. “If you’re sure.”

“I’m not going to go snog him, Ron! Harry would-” she broke off suddenly.

“Ginny…” Ron said quietly. “Harry’s gone. He’s not coming back.”

“I know, Ron,” she whispered. The tears she expected to come to her eyes did not, but instead gathered in a lump in her throat. “…I know.” She rose from the table and fled from the hall.

A hand on her shoulder stopped her as she began to climb the stairs. Draco Malfoy’s grey eyes looked her up and down. “What do you want Malfoy?” she asked, barely managing to keep her voice calm.

“Are you alright?”

She stared through him. Watching the painting on the wall behind him.

“What do you care?” she asked, her voice low and choked.

“I- Ginny-”

“Don’t!” Her voice rang out and he flinched.

I know your games, Malfoy. I may have trusted you last night but I know who you are.”

“I’ve never been-”

“Drop the act, Malfoy! You are not this weak. If you want a girl, go find a different one.”

He grabbed her arm, forcing her to look at him.

“My heart is not my own,” she murmured. “It has not returned.” She fled.

Draco looked after her for a moment before his face was slammed into the hard stone wall, narrowly missing a painting.

“What did you do to her?” Ron Weasley spat in his face.

“Nothing,” he gasped out through crushed lungs.

The larger boy was pulled off him and Draco met a wand to his face. “I don’t believe you. What did you do?”

“Nothing, Weasley. I asked your sister if she was alright and she flipped on me.” Composing himself he added, “And I’ll thank you to keep your filthy hands off my robes.” The insult was weak and he knew it.

“Since when did you care, Malfoy?”

Draco paused. “I don’t know.”

Ginny’s brother stared at him a while longer. “Stay away from her, Malfoy.” He went up the stairs to Gryffindor Tower.

Draco touched the piece of paper in his pocket. “Don’t know if I can.”

Looking around he realized the hallway was empty.

As small snake statue sat in the corner. “Where did you come from?”

The emerald eyes gleamed and Draco hissed. “You…”

The snake grinned back. “Yes, me.”

“You had something to do with Ginny panicking, didn’t you?”

“I was merely trying to persuade her to listen to you and she was fighting back.”

“I can handle my own personal life, thank you.” Draco turned away.

“Look at me child,” the snake hissed.

He did.

“I am merely trying to help you. Trust me. I’ll fix everything.”

Draco watched the snake again. “Alright.”




A hoofed foot brought itself into the clearing. All was still. The black-maned centaur held his crossbow out, watching for motion in the trees.

“You are not welcome here, outsider.” A centaur with a light brown color stood on the other side of the clearing. He had blades strapped to his sides and a long bow drawn in his hands. His face resembled Azlidun’s, thin and calm, but it had less lines on it, less years.

“I wish to speak with the council,” the darker creature stated.

“You are not to pass, banished one.”

“And would you stop me, brother?”

“Don’t call me that. I no longer know you.” His finger twitched on the bowstring.

“You know me. Twenty years we lived together.”

“Those days are over now. They were over the second you saved that girl. That human.” He spat the word.

“She was innocent. She had done nothing.”

“And so you are banished for it?” The tawny one stepped forward. “Just go, banished one. Go.”

“Not until I see the council.”

His brother shook his head. “I cannot let you pass.”

Azlidun put his crossbow on the ground and drew his sword. “I challenge you to a duel.”

The younger’s eyes grew wide. “Don’t be a fool. I’ve always been a better swordsman.”

“So you refuse my challenge?”

The longbow was placed on the ground. “No. I do not refuse you.” He drew two thin blades from the sheath at his flank.

Azlidun held his sword in front of him until both blades had touched his own, more solid one.

The two circled one another. Azlidun feinted twice, causing his brother to flinch backwards.

Azlidun’s sturdy blade slashed towards his brother’s side. One thin sword came up in a weak block while the other slipped towards his exposed flank.

Azlidun reversed his swing to block the thin sword. Before he could bring around a counter swing, both of his brother’s swords were being swung at him in quick succession.

He blocked the blows as best he could with his single sword. When one of the slim blades cut too close to his fore leg, he reared up, batting both blades back with his hooves.

His brother stumbled back from him, trying to regain his balance.

Azlidun lunged forward making a stab at his brother’s exposed hip.

His brother’s weapon was brought up to smack the stab away.

Azlidun swung at his shoulder. The second sword parried, and shattered.

“Ah!” The council’s guard gasped in pain.

The dark coated one pulled his blade from the lighter’s flesh.

Azlidun walked to the path through the trees, cleaning and sheathing his sword.

A red-haired centaur slipped past him. He stopped her with a gesture. “The wound is not too serious, it will need very little to heal.” She nodded silently and moved to take care of the fallen combatant.

She knelt by him, softly dressing the wound after thoroughly cleansing it.

“When did the outsider become so strong?”

She glanced at his face, looking into his eyes. “I would assume that when one lives alone in the forest, as Wind-speaker does, one must fight to survive.

“You still call him that, my childhood friend?”

“Yes,” she said quietly.

“Why? He has disobeyed the laws of our people. He was banished for his actions. Why do you still have respect for him?” He stood as she pulled the bandage tight around his shoulder.

Naliana looked into his eyes. “I believe his actions were noble. Without him the girl would have died.” She walked along the path Azlidun had followed. “That is why I still respect him.”

She stopped and turned. “That is why I still trust him”
End Notes:
Please keep reviewing. Sorry this took so long!
Twists and Turns by Lynth
Hey...sorry this took so long.

The next update will be a while as well, because I'm going to be away all summer.

By the way, info to know: The centaurs essentially have two groups, those proficient in physical things such as fighting, hunting, even cooking and such; and also those few that have magic. Only mages have both, and haven’t been seen for years. Naliana has magic. Azlidun originally could fight, but at some point in his exile, gained magic. Explanations later? You'll have to wait and find out.

Thanks to Iluvcaptainjack for being the only reviewer last chapter.

As usual a big hug to my beta Mars.




Ginny sat in her room, thinking. She had no idea why she had freaked out at Malfoy.

She shook her head. That wasn’t entirely true. She had heard a voice in her head, telling her to give in, but it wasn’t hers. She had fought the urge, the desire, leaning back on her promise to Harry.

Yet, she still wanted Malfoy. Though she barely let herself admit it. She still wanted him, badly.

Her imagination ran wild and she lost herself for a minute in that hair, that mouth, that-

“Ginny?”

She sat bolt upright on the edge of the bed, slamming her legs together and removing her hands from places she wouldn’t admit they’d been.

“Go away ‘Mione.”

“Ginny, come on. I’m worried about you.”

Ginny was silent.

She heard a new voice outside the door. “You won’t get through to her that way, let me.” The voice got louder. “Honey, you better have clothes on, because I’m going to break down this door.”

Ginny flung open the door, almost hitting the snarky Slytherin in the face. Blaise smirked at Hermione. “I told you.”

The girls entered.

Hermione started. “Ginny, what’s been going on?”

“I don’t want to talk about it.”

Hermione began to speak again, but Blaise interrupted. “I’ll be blunt. I don’t care how you’re feeling, but you owe me.”

“Wait, what?” Hermione asked.

Ginny turned to Hermione. “My second year, when I was recovering from the Chamber I-” Her voice caught in her throat. “I tried to kill m-myself.” She sat heavily on her bed.

Blaise took over talking, ignoring the older girl’s stunned look. “I found her and forced her to go to Madam Pomfrey. Had to snap her wand to stop her from using it on herself.”

Ginny pulled the old wand from the pocket of her robes. “I still have it. Right here.”

“What have you been using?” Hermione asked.

“I bought her another,” Blaise supplied.

“Ginny, I-I didn’t know.” The girl looked ready to cry herself.

“It’s alright, Hermione.” Ginny turned to Blaise. “You came to call in your favor then?” A nod. “What do you want?”

The Slytherin almost looked away. “Draco’s gone.”




Azlidun walked through the forest calmly. The twisted trees could have hidden anything, but he did not fear it at this time. He had proven his strength.

He heard a voice to his left. “Who enters the council circle?”

Looking around him, Azlidun realized that he had stumbled upon the circle without meaning to. Around him was a circle of eight perfect trees. At seven of them a centaur elder stood. One tree held no representative yet.

“Well?” The elder who had spoken before stepped forward. “Who are you?” His grey coat and shrunken stature reflected his age. His beady eyes studied the intruder.

Azlidun stood tall, towering over the elder. “I am he who speaks with wind. I have been on a journey and return now with advice to the council.”

Another of the elders spoke up. “A journey? We banished you five years ago.”

Greybeard and Azlidun turned as one, hands on their swords. “You speak out of turn, Keeper of the Earth.”

“And what would you care of the laws, Outsider?” An accusing finger was pointed. Azlidun looked around realizing he was again alone in the center of the council circle.

“I care deeply for the rules when they don’t require me to sacrifice innocent lives.”

“It was a human. It was not innocent at all.”

“The child had not done anything.”

“SILENCE!”

A female centaur crossed the circle to stand in the center.

“But Fire-dancer, the outsider-“

“Has my permission to speak. Do you deny my claim on my father’s position as clan leader?”

“No. I acknowledge your late father’s wishes.”

She gestured to Azlidun before crossing to her position at the edge of the circle.

Azlidun stood in the center of the circle. He looked at each of the council members in turn. Then he said the words none of them wanted to hear. “It is again time that we became involved in the affairs of men.”

There was uproar among the circle until he roared for order. “Listen to me! The four are again stirring in the castle.”

Not a word was spoken, until finally Earth Keeper said, “How do you know?”

Azlidun’s false courage faltered a bit. “I can…feel it.”

The councilor laughed. “So. You think you’re a mage, eh? The outsider is proficient with a sword and magic, is he?”

Naliana held up a hand. “Hush, Earth Keeper. I believe what he says.”

“What? Have you lost your mind?” The council member drew his blade. “I’ll end this now.”

“You will do no such thing. Have you spent days out in the forest? Have you heard him speak? Have you walked with him?” She broke off, realizing what she had said. After a moment’s pause, she stepped into the center of the circle.

The Keeper of the Earth looked at them standing there. “So. The true colors shine through.” The centaur lifted his blade. “You are removed from duty, and banished.”

The blade began to fall, but Azlidun was faster. He ripped his sword from his flank and blocked the blow.

No one moved. The councilor looked shocked.

“Run, Naliana,” Azlidun whispered calmly. “Run. Now!”

At the word, he pulled back his blade for another swing. His opponent fell back, parrying his swings.

Looking over his shoulder, Azlidun almost didn’t parry the counter-strike.

As the red blur disappeared through the trees, Azlidun focused back on the fight. He parried three quick strikes, then slipped forward under the councilor’s guard.

Sheathing his own sword, he wrenched the sword out of his opponent’s grip.

He stood there, sword in hand again, towering over the councilor.

“I’ll remember this, outcast,” the councilor said. “I’ll remember this when I kill you.”

Azlidun looked down at him. “Goodbye, Uncle. I hope your pride does not destroy the clan.”

Azlidun turned and left the circle.




Draco sat looking out over the forest. The dark landscape was oddly beautiful. He thought of the Tree Guardian, and the words he had said. Was he truly pursuing Ginny because he felt something for her, or was he doing it to go against society’s rules?

One more question rang in his head. Since when had he cared? He was Draco Malfoy, why did he actually care about anyone?

“You are a hassle, you know that?”

Draco looked over at the person invading his thoughts. “Hello, Weasley.”

She stepped off her broom and sat next to him. She looked side-ways into his eyes, and followed his gaze out over the forest.

“Your friend was looking for you.”

He glanced at her. “I didn’t want to be found.”

She nodded. “I’ll go then.”

He held onto her arm. “Please don’t.”

She tilted her head. “What’s going on in your little ferrety head?”

He shrugged.

“What? No banter? No witty comment? Seriously, Malfoy, what is going on?”

“Since when did you care?” His eyes widened as he realized the words that he had just said. “Never mind. Just please, go.”

“No.”

“Weasley, you just offered to do so. If you would please-“

“You think I meant that? I’m trying to be your friend, Draco. Now tell me what’s wrong.”

“What’s wrong, Ginny Weasley, is that I find myself attracted to you.”

They were both standing by now, but when Draco heard his own voice, he retreated to the edge of the roof.

She crossed back to him. “I-” The words refused to form.

“Don’t strain yourself, Weasley.”

“Git,” she responded, putting her hand on his arm. “I wish I could respond as you deserve, but…”

He watched her eyes and started fishing around in his pockets.

“What’re you doing?”

“Convincing you to follow what you want.”

“Draco, I told you, my heart-”

He pulled a piece of paper from his pocket.

Ginny gaped at him. Slowly, she opened the folded paper to see the heart that she had drawn there.

She wrapped her arms around him.

“That’s all it took?” he asked. “A piece of paper with a heart drawn on it? That would’ve made my life a lot easier.”

She smacked his arm. “It wouldn’t have helped before. You were Malfoy then, not Draco.”

“Still…”

She put a finger to his lips. “Sh…enough. I will argue until you’re content, but not now. Right now…” The tone in her voice drove shivers down his spine.

She stared into his eyes and brought her mouth to his. A spark shot between them. Her mouth hungrily moved on his, trying to get more of him. His body responded in turn grabbing her neck, her sides, her waist. Anything to get him closer to her.

He pulled away abruptly.

“What?” she asked, disappointed that he was finished so soon.

“Something’s wrong,” he said calmly.

She followed his gaze back over the forest. “Draco? What are you looking at?”

He pointed behind him, intoning, “Accio broom.” His broom rose to his hand. “Ginny, there’s something I have to check on. I’ll see you i-…when I get back.”

She was already standing next to him, her own broom in hand. “If you think you’re leaving me behind after that, you’re crazy.”

In the forest, a tree burst into flames. “Go!” he shouted, kicking off into the forest.
End Notes:
Review please! ^__^
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=6232