Getting Lucky by CCC
Summary: When Ginny wins a bottle of Felix Felicis strange things happen. (This is set in Hogwarts era, but it's AU. We'll assume Slughorn still works there.)
Categories: Works in Progress Characters: Draco Malfoy, Ginny Weasley
Compliant with: GoF and below
Era: Hogwarts-era
Genres: Humor
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 20261 Read: 67611 Published: Mar 18, 2009 Updated: Mar 13, 2010
Story Notes:
My former plot bunnies have strayed. If you see them, send them back my way.

1. Chapter 1 by CCC

2. Chapter 2 by CCC

3. Chapter 3 by CCC

4. Chapter 4 by CCC

5. Chapter 5 by CCC

6. Chapter 6 by CCC

7. Chapter 7 by CCC

8. Chapter 8 by CCC

9. Chapter 9 by CCC

10. Chapter 10 by CCC

11. Chapter 11 by CCC

12. Chapter 12 by CCC

Chapter 1 by CCC
Draco Malfoy emerged sputtering from the lake. Algae dripped from his platinum blond hair. Mud spotted his exquisitely tailored shirt. Rage oozed from every pore of his body. His eyes informed everyone present to his humiliation that someone would die.

Ginny Weasley looked on him in all his furious glory and laughed.

His lip curled up in a snarl as he stomped toward her. Other students moved out of his way as he stormed toward the object of his wrath. “How dare you,” he bellowed.

Completely ignoring the threat of impending doom, she reached out and brushed a smear of algae from his forehead. “Take a breath, Malfoy. I’m sure you’ll clean up just as pretty as you always do.”

“You...” He launched into a litany of curse words that by all rights should have turned the air green.

She batted her eyelashes at him. “I do believe you’re trying to hurt my feelings. Perhaps I should point out that your jaunt into the lake was not entirely my fault. The Felix Felicis, which I won by writing the best essay for Slughorn, must have inadvertently caused your accident.” She reached out and wiped a bit of muck off his shirt. “That might be why your scary Slytherin routine isn’t working on me either.”

He smacked her hand away from his shirt. “You hexed me. How is that not your fault?”

“I wasn’t aiming at you. I was aiming at Ron. Hermione ruined my fun by deflecting the hex, and it hit you.” She bit her lip in an attempt not to laugh.

He leaned closer so they were almost nose to nose. “There are two things I want to make very clear to you. I don’t care that you weren’t aiming at me. You knocked me into the lake in front of everyone. For that you must pay. I know the Felix Felicis is making you feel content and happy right now. It. Will. Wear. Off. Then you will see just how scary I can be.”

A trickle of unease broke through the happy glow of serenity Ginny was experiencing. She watched as Draco stalked toward the castle. Maybe the scary Slytherin remark had been a tiny bit unwise.

Ron sat up from where he’d been roaring on the ground with laughter. “That is the most wonderful site I’ve ever seen. My baby sister knocked Malfoy into the lake.” He swiped at the tears, which dampened his cheeks. “Too bad Harry wasn’t here to see it.”

Ginny pointed her wand at him. “Did you forget our new rule, Ron?”

Her brother pouted. “I’m not allowed to mention his name until he apologizes for what he said. Honestly, Gin he didn’t mean to hurt your feelings.”

Hermione poked Ron in the shoulder. “It’s very hurtful to hear that someone you like doesn’t think of you as a datable girl.”

“I know she had a crush on Harry. But it’s kind of like us, Hermione.” Ron shrugged. “We’re just friends, and it’s great.”

Hermione sighed.

“Can I blast him now?” Ginny asked.

Hermione stepped away from Ron. “Be my guest.”

Ron gaped at her. “Mione?”

“I’m a girl, you prat,” Hermione yelled.

Ron looked utterly confused as his sister blasted him into the lake.

Hermione and Ginny walked back to the castle together. “Ginny, you should be careful. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Malfoy quite so mad.”

Ginny chuckled. “I only took half the Felix Felicis this morning. I’ll take a small sip each day for the rest of the week. Someone else will do something to brass off Malfoy and he’ll forget all about me.”

“Don’t wander around the castle alone,” Hermione warned.

Ginny slept fitfully that night dreaming of someone chasing her down a corridor. She woke in a foul mood. A tiny sip of the Felix Felicis made the world seem like a better place. As she walked to breakfast, she noticed people giving her a wide birth. Even her fellow Gryffindors didn’t linger in her presence.

In the Great Hall, Harry scooted close to her as she piled biscuits on her plate. “Gin, I’m sorry about what I said. I care about you, but I’ll always think of you as a sister.”

She set her pumpkin juice down and sighed. She supposed it wasn’t his fault that he didn’t view her as datable. “Maybe you could choose your words more carefully next time,” she suggested.

“Sorry.” He gave her a sheepish grin.

“When I’m completely hot in a few years, don’t expect me to give you another chance,” she told him with a wink.

He seemed startled by her comment. She didn’t care. “Any butter by you?” she asked.

He blinked and then grabbed a plate of butter. She leaned closer to take it from him. Just then a torrential downpour of ice cold water landed mainly on Harry. Ginny’s left sleeve became drenched, but she managed to throw herself to the side to avoid the main downpour.

Laughter from the Slytherin table told her who was responsible for the prank. Harry’s teeth chattered which delayed his ability to dry his clothes. This time lag allowed everyone present to see that Harry was wearing a Gilderoy Lockhart t-shirt under his white button down shirt.

Ginny wondered if Harry wasn’t interested in her because she was a girl. Catcalls sounded around the Great Hall.

She took pity on Harry and helped him dry off. “Your mum gave me this shirt,” Harry complained. “I only wear it when all my other undershirts are dirty.”

“Of course that’s why.” Ginny nodded sympathetically. Once Harry was dry, she dried her left sleeve and then took off for class.

When she was halfway to her destination, she realized she’d forgotten her bookbag. Sprinting back to the Great Hall, she tripped over something and went flying. Her hair flew in her face blocking her view of the person she slammed into and fell on top of. The warm body she was tangled with spouted fluent profanity.

As she tried to detangle her arms and legs, she realized she’d heard those words before. “Malfoy?” she asked.

The growl she heard from beneath her had her up in a flash. The Slytherin who lay on the ground with ink splattered on his crisp white shirt, gave her a look that would have made a lesser person whimper.

She stepped away from him. “Sorry to land on top of you like that. Someone hit me with a tripping jinx.”

“I hit you with the tripping jinx, you insufferable bint.”

The laughter poured from her mouth before she could stop it. “That didn’t work out how you planned, did it?”

He studied her while he seethed. “You held back some of the Felix Felicis, didn’t you?”

“Yes. I guess that’s why the water hit Harry this morning. I suppose that’s why you broke my fall.”

Draco was on his feet and towering over her. “You will run out of Felix Felicis eventually.”

Fascinated by the way his hair shone in the light, she reached out and brushed a few strands off his forehead. He went very still.

“Why do you keep touching me?” he bit out.

“I don’t know.” She laughed. “You just seem very touchable.”

Draco looked ready to burst a blood vessel.

“You’re upset.” She patted his chest. “We can discuss this later.” She moved around him and went to retrieve her bookbag.

She didn’t see hide nor hair of Draco for the rest of the day. Slightly disappointed, she wondered what he planned next.

The next morning, Ginny decided to forgo the Felix Felicis. She reasoned that Draco would plot to wait out her supply. If she was wrong, he’d successfully trip her, or perform some other type of prank. It might be best to get it over with.
Chapter 2 by CCC
Ginny was beginning to regret not taking a sip from her dwindling bottle of Felix Felicis. Malfoy was absent from breakfast, and his tablemates kept gazing in her direction and snickering. Gulping down her pancakes, she hurried back to her room.

What she found made her scream in outrage. Her belongings were strewn about. In the middle of the mess she found the now empty bottle of Felix Felicis. A small scroll was tied to the neck of the bottle. She unrolled it with shaking hands.

“I’ll be the lucky one today.”

It wasn’t signed, but she knew Draco wrote it. She crumpled the parchment in her hands and growled. After using her wand to straighten the room, she stomped off to class.

Trying to remain calm, she mentally gave herself a pep talk. It wasn’t like he’d physically harm her. Throughout the years, he’d dodged some impressive hexes from Pansy, but his return volleys had been meant to subdue rather than inflict pain.

Having Fred and George for older brothers, she’d been the butt of many jokes. Being embarrassed wouldn’t kill her. She squared her shoulders and tried to go about her day as if she wasn’t being stalked by a snarky blond git.

She made it through her first three classes with relative ease. After a quick stop in the loo, she headed for the Great Hall. Before she could make it to her destination, she was hit with a spell that spun her in a circle and pulled her down a side hall. She tried to maintain her grasp on her wand, but it became fire hot. She released it before it burned her hand. The spinning stopped and she watched as the wand flew to Malfoy’s hand. Immobilized she glared at him.

He studied her and seemed to be waiting for something.

She never could take the silent treatment. “Damn it, Malfoy what do you want?”

He chuckled. “I want you to be afraid.”

The pleasant manner in which he delivered this news had the hair on the back of her neck standing up. “Okay, you’re scaring me. Is that what you wanted?”

He frowned. “I thought it was.” A far off look came to his face.

She recognized that dreamy look. “You drank the last of my Felix Felicis, didn’t you?”

“I did. It’s odd. I’ve had a pleasant morning, but it hasn’t been outstanding.”

She watched as he played with her wand. If possible, she’d snatch it back and put as much distance between herself and Malfoy as possible.

“I know what you’re thinking,” he said in a singsong voice.

“That was downright creepy,” she told him. “You sound like a demented story teller.”

He looked offended. “Should you really be making remarks like that at this point in time?”

She swallowed hard. “I suppose not.”

He continued to study her. “Your shirt is frayed at the cuffs. Your buttons have obviously been sewn back on with mismatched thread. Your shoes should have been thrown away by their former owner.”

His comments stung. “Gee, Malfoy, don’t you have anything derogatory to say about my skirt?”

Stepping back, he pretended to study her skirt. “Correct me if I’m wrong. That’s the same skirt you’ve had since you started school.”

“I have several skirts,” she snapped.

“All of which your mother purchased second hand a few years ago.” He sighed. “Your skirts are entertaining. You get taller, and they stay the same size. I predict your knickers will be hanging out before you finish school.”

Irritated with his line of logic, she huffed out a breath. “Well I guess it’s lucky that I buy nice new knickers every year.”

He raised his nose in the air. “I don’t believe you. I imagine you wear those big white knickers that come almost all the way up to your armpits.”

She rolled her eyes. “How did you know? Those are my favorite because they double as a swimsuit during the summer.”

Draco snorted.

“I don’t wear granny panties you prat.”

His eyes strayed to her skirt and scanned up her body. If she didn’t know better, she’d swear he could see through her clothes.

“Malfoy, why are you concerned with my knickers? Aren’t you supposed to be embarrassing me or throwing me in the lake?”

A slow smile spread across his face. “I’ve no idea why I’m thinking about your knickers.” He stepped closer so there were just a few inches between them. “You could show me your knickers and then I’d leave you alone.”

His scent assaulted her. He smelled of expensive soap and aftershave. She closed her eyes to block out his presence. “That is a big fat lie if ever I heard one. If I flashed you my knickers, you’d tell the entire school about it.”

He chuckled and leaned down so he could whisper in her ear. “You’re right. I would.”

If she’d been able to move, she would have bolted. No matter how obnoxious Malfoy was, he made her hormones hum. Being this close to him was not a good idea.

He continued talking. “I bet if I put a little effort into it, I’d know everything about your knickers within a week.”

“Not bloody likely,” she snapped.

“You’re the one who kept touching me,” he reminded her.

She struggled to move her arms and legs. “You’re pretty. I don’t deny that. I touched your face and your hair. It’s not like I groped you.”

He reached out and ran his fingers through her hair. “That’s where it would have led.”

“Malfoy, if I wasn’t immobilized by your stupid spell, I’d cuff you in the back of the head.”

“Let’s test that theory, shall we? I’ll give you back your wand.” He took her wand and slid it in the waistband of her skirt. He brushed her hair back from her neck. Leaning in, he said the incantation, which would free her from the spell. His hot breath feathered across her neck while his lips brushed ever so lightly against her skin.

A small breathy sound escaped her throat as she regained the ability to move. She started to yell at him as his hot mouth skimmed down her throat. Heat flowed through her veins as he nipped and sucked at her pulse point.

“Oh,” was all she managed to say. When he scraped his teeth along her neck, her knees became weak. “That’s just...wrong,” she murmured.

He worked his way back up to her ear. “You don’t seem to be leaving.”

Coming out of the hormonal haze, she jerked away from him. “You...” Unable to form a coherent sentence, she stalked away from him wondering what it the hell was wrong with her. His laughter mocked her all the way down the hall.
Chapter 3 by CCC
That night at dinner, Ginny sat with her back to the Slytherin table. She kept up a constant stream of chatter with Hermione and Ron as if she didn’t have a care in the world. Periodically, laughter would break out at the Slytherin table behind her. She could only hope the blond git wasn’t telling his housemates about her unruly hormones.

“I’m going to study in the library tonight. Do you want to come?” Hermione asked.

“Sure.” It wasn’t like she had anything better to do. Harry wasn’t interested. No one else had really caught her eye as a potential boyfriend.

‘Liar,’ her hormones screamed.

She sipped her pumpkin juice while she tried to explain a few unhappy truths to her hormones. ‘Malfoy was just messing with you. He isn’t interested in a relationship.’

Her hormones rebelled, replaying the memory of his hot mouth skimming down her neck. Heat flooded her body. Irritated with her lack of self control, she considered throwing herself into the lake.

Laughter erupted from the Slytherin table again. She scowled.

“What’s wrong?” Ron asked.

“Malfoy’s in my head,” she admitted. “I wish he’d just do something to embarrass me and get it over with.”

“Whatever he does, it can’t be worse than the time Fred and George tricked both of us into eating that Flaming Flatulence Fudge,” Ron pointed out.

Hermione set her drink down. “Does that mean what I think it means?”

Ginny covered her face. “Yes. It made both of us blow up like balloons and then when we...you know...it came out as flames.”

Hermione bit her lip.

Ron glared at her. “It wasn’t funny. It hurt.”

“Sorry.” Hermione cleared her throat. “Are you ready to go to the library?”

Ginny took one more drink of her pumpkin juice and then headed to the library with her friend. On the way, she debated telling Hermione about her encounter with Malfoy. Once they were seated at a table, she decided to take the plunge.

“I had a run in with Malfoy today.”

Hermione scooted closer. “What happened?”

“He stole my wand and immobilized me.”

“Did he hurt you?” Concern was evident in her friend’s voice.

Ginny shook her head. “No. He told me he wanted me to be afraid. Then he started in on my clothes. Somehow we ended up talking about my knickers.”

Hermione sat back and crossed her arms. “Do not tell me that you allowed that snake to charm you out of your knickers.”

“No, thank you. I did not. But...he did kiss my neck, and I sort of forgot to run away,” she admitted sheepishly.

Hermione reached over and whacked her on the arm. “What is wrong with you?”

“Hey,” Ginny snapped. “I was immobilized when he first started, so my hormones were running the show. It took a while for my brain to engage. I did run away once I’d come to my senses.”

Disappointment and judgment shone from Hermione’s eyes. “He’s obnoxious and evil.”

“Yes. Well he also smells really good, his hair feels like silk, and he does this thing with his teeth that made me feel like I was going to melt into a giant puddle of goo.”

Hermione scooted even closer. “I think I know what you mean.”

Ginny sucked in a breath, started to speak, and then reconsidered. “If this is about my brother, please lie and say it was someone else. That’s just too weird for me.”

“Your brother is an idiot. I’m not talking about him. I’m talking about Victor.”

“Really?” Ginny leaned in. “I thought you told my brother you didn’t snog Victor once.”

Hermione wore a smug expression. “I didn’t snog Victor once. I snogged him several times.”

Ginny laughed earning her a few sideways glances from the other students. She did her best to look apologetic and then whispered to Hermione. “I have new respect for your brilliance. Let’s get out of here so we can dish.”

Sitting cross legged on Hermione’s bed, Ginny asked, “Do you keep in touch with Victor?”

“We wrote for a little while. I think we both knew what we had was lust. If he ever stopped by to visit I’d be happy to see him, but that’s about it.”

Ginny snorted. “At least he was nice to you. Malfoy wasn’t nice to me and I still melted. I hope that doesn’t mean I’m into abusive relationships.”

“I don’t think you have to worry about that. Despite his personality he does ooze some sort of charm. He’s an ‘It’ guy.”

“A what?”

Hermione chuckled. “It’s a Muggle term. We say that famous people have ‘It’. Basically it means a person has more than a normal amount of sex appeal.”

“That’s so unfair. Why do some people have ‘It’ and others don’t?” Ginny pouted. “If I had more ‘It’ then maybe I’d have a boyfriend of my own and I could forget about Malfoy.”

“You have plenty of appeal,” her friend assured her. “I’d love to have your hair. Mine is impossible.”

“Your skin is prettier,” Ginny pointed out. “There isn’t a single freckle on your face.”

“The freckles work on you. Now, let’s figure out a plan to keep Malfoy away from you.”

“It’s too bad there isn’t a spell to make him think he already got me back.”

Hermione hopped off the bed. “That’s it. We’ll prank you and pretend it was him. He’ll take the credit for humiliating you because he won’t want to admit he didn’t think of it.”

“Could we try for embarrassed instead? I don’t really want to be humiliated.”

“Fine. Why don’t you Owl the twins and ask for one of their more expensive items? If everyone knows it costs a lot, they’ll assume he did it. Plus the twins could tweak it so it wasn’t that bad for you.”

Ginny cringed. “I’m afraid if I did that, they’d make it worse.”

“Under normal circumstances I might agree with you. You’re fighting against Malfoy. They’ll choose you over him.”

“I suppose you’re right.” Ginny grabbed a piece of parchment and wrote a letter to her brothers explaining the situation.

The next morning, a school owl delivered a small scroll to Ginny. When she untied it from the owl’s leg, she could feel a small vial inside the parchment. She loosened the ribbon wrapped around the scroll and the vial slid out into her hand. She palmed it and dropped it in her bookbag before unrolling the parchment.

“Who’s that from?” Ron asked.

“Fred and George want us to find students willing to test their new line of day dream charms.”
She passed the letter to Ron, grateful that the twins had written a letter to cover the delivery.

Ron scanned the letter. “I wonder if Snape would notice?”

Hermione snorted. “Unless you want detention for the rest of your life, I suggest you pick another class to daydream in.”

After breakfast, Ginny and Hermione stopped in the loo before going to class. They studied the small vial, which had no label.

“I knew the twins were going to mess with me.” Ginny stomped her foot. “There’s no way I’m taking this when I have no idea what it will do.”

Hermione took the vial. “I’ll work at figuring out what’s in here. You write the twins and ask them what it does.”

Ginny stalked off to class. She passed Malfoy on the way. He didn’t scowl or sneer. In fact, he didn’t acknowledge her in any way at all. It was almost as if he no longer cared about her. Maybe he’d moved on.

Hope filled Ginny’s chest. Maybe it was over.

On her way to lunch that afternoon, she took the same route as yesterday. Once again a spell hit her and spun her around dragging her down a side hall. Her wand grew hot again. She held on as long as she could before cursing and releasing it. Of course it flew to Malfoy’s hand.

“Didn’t we already do this?” she snapped as she struggled to move her arms and legs.

His chuckle made the hair on the back of her neck stand up. “That’s what makes it so amusing. I can’t believe you’d walk the same route again today. Have you no self preservation instincts?”

“I’m not used to being careful. No one’s ever stalked me before you.”

He twirled her wand in his hand. “I’m not stalking you. I’m seeking revenge.”

Losing patience, she bit out, “Then bloody well get it over with. I have a life I’d like to get back to that does not include looking over my shoulder for a snarky git with an overgrown sense of vengeance.”

He pulled a vial from his pocket. “That is what I’m about to do. I borrowed some Veritaserum from Snape’s office. I’m going to find out your deepest darkest secrets and tell the entire school.”

She hadn’t done anything truly terrible. There was the incident with the diary, but she doubted he would ask about that. It would implicate his father more than her. It wouldn’t due to let him know his revenge didn’t really threaten her.

“If you make me drink that, I’ll tell Snape you stole it from his office.”

“Who do you think he’d believe, you or a member of his house?” Draco tipped the vial to her lips.

She clamped her mouth shut. With a look of distaste, he pinched her nose closed. To make it look good, she held her breath for as long as she could. When she gasped for air, he poured the potion down her throat.

She managed to spit out a bit before he forced her to swallow it.

He stood back crossed his arms and smiled. “Your little Miss Goody Two Shoes act is about to end. What’s the worst thing you’ve ever done?” .

“I broke Fred’s nose when I was five,” she admitted. “I always felt terrible about that.”

He rolled his eyes. “I don’t care about petty squabbles with your brothers. What’s the worst thing you’ve done in the past two years?”

“I’ve lied to Ron about sneaking out to meet boys for dates. He’s such an overprotective git.”

“Now we’re getting somewhere. Who have you shagged?”

“No one.” Ginny smiled at him.

He narrowed his eyes. “You’re lying.”

“I can’t very well lie since you poured Veritaserum down my throat.”

He reached up to rub the bridge of his nose. “Fine. Why haven’t you shagged anyone?”

“None of the guys I dated ever seemed to be worth all the potential problems.”

“What problems?”

“Ron would more than likely try to kill whoever I slept with. My family seems to be oddly fertile. If I became pregnant my family would support me but they’d be very disappointed.”

Draco glared at her. “Have you ever stolen anything?”

“I nab stuff from the twins all the time. They don’t mind though so I don’t know if that counts as stealing.”

“Isn’t there anything you’re ashamed of?”

She’d come to terms with the diary incident. It hadn’t been her fault. Then it hit her. She tried to keep her lips clamped shut, but the words poured out. “I can’t believe I’m attracted to someone who’s so mean. You’re scary. Your father is terrifying. For some stupid reason when you kissed my neck I forgot all of that.”

His face took on a feral quality. He looked like a lion that had just caught its prey and was trying to decide what to do with it.

“Crap, crap, crap,” Ginny muttered.

He moved in close and brushed her hair away from her neck. He leaned in and trailed hot kisses down her neck. Heat suffused her body. His mouth moved to her ear. “What do you feel when my mouth is on your skin?”

She couldn’t hold the truth in. “Heat. It feels like I’m going to melt.”

He chuckled. “If I wanted you, could I have you?”

“Probably,” she admitted. Tears of humiliation stung her eyes.

He stepped away from her. “Then it’s a good thing I don’t want you.” He released her from his spell and tossed her wand at her feet. Without another word, he walked off.
Chapter 4 by CCC
Ginny’s hand shook as she picked up her wand. Angry tears dripped over her lashes. To be forced to admit her attraction was horrifying. The way he toyed with her and then completely dismissed her was mortifying.

She retreated to her room and tried to analyze the situation. The rejection stung, but it would have been worse if he’d wanted to touch her. She told herself she would have stopped him, but that wasn’t necessarily true. Her brain seemed to shut down around him. It was maddening.

He might go around telling everyone that he could have her if he wanted. That was better than saying he’d had her and tossed her aside.

“Ginny?”

She looked up to find Hermione in her doorway. She waved her friend into the room.

Hermione sat next to her on the bed and frowned. “What did he do?”

Ginny dug her nails into her hands. “He forced veritaserum down my throat and asked what I was most ashamed of. I blurted out how attracted I was to him.”

“I’m sorry. That must have been humiliating.”

“Wait. It gets better. He asked if he could have me. I said probably. He laughed and walked away. I’m afraid he’s going to tell the entire school.”

“No he won’t,” Hermione said with utter certainty.

“You can’t know that,” Ginny snapped.

“Yes, I can.” Hermione pulled the vial out of her pocket. “I figured it out. The twins are brilliant. Draco will have a hard time talking when he turns into a ferret.”

“How do you know-”

Hermione cut her off. “The potion turns a person into what would be their animagus form if they had that skill. Since Malfoy turned into a ferret before, I’m sure it will happen again.”

“What would I have turned into?” Ginny asked.

“I don’t know. I think we should dose Draco in the Great Hall where everyone can see.”

“Maybe Goyle will sit on him. Then all my problems would be solved.”

Hermione chuckled. “Angering a Weasley is a dangerous thing.”

“How will you get the potion into his food?”

“I’ll go down to the kitchens and talk to the house elves. I’m sure Dobby would volunteer to put it in Draco’s food after all he suffered at Malfoy Manor.”

Ginny bit her lip. “Can you manage it for dinner tonight?”

“I’ll head down there right now.” Hermione stood and then hesitated. “Hold onto your feelings of humiliation and anger. Let them resurface whenever he’s around. Maybe that way you’ll block any other feelings you might have for him.”

***

Ginny walked into the Great Hall with Ron by her side. She’d shared an abbreviated version of her contact with Draco. Ron had been supportive and offered to stay by her side so she wouldn’t end up alone with Malfoy again.

“Thanks for walking with me,” Ginny said as they sat at their table.

“You know I’ll always stick by you, Gin.”

For once she was grateful for her brother’s protective nature. She picked at her shepherds pie. Her stomach rolled whenever she heard laughter from the Slytherin table.

Hermione entered the Great Hall and sat across from Ginny.

As if on cue, a commotion broke out at the Slytherin table. Draco was thrashing around, and he seemed to be growing larger.

Professor Snape approached the table shouting for answers as Draco’s face turned green and he increased in size. He cried out at his fingers grew longer and webbing grew between them creating wings. Smoke drifted from his lips as he exhaled.

Slytherins abandoned their table in a stampede. The rest of the students stared, transfixed by what was happening.

“Why is Malfoy turning into a Common Welsh Green Dragon?” Neville asked.

“I’m not sure,” Ginny replied truthfully.

“With his personality I would have thought he’d be a Hungarian Horntail,” Neville stated.

The dragon stopped growing when it was twenty feet tall. “I guess he’s a teenage dragon,” Hermione said. “He certainly isn’t full size.”

“He looks big enough to me,” Ron said. “Let’s get out of here.”

Ginny had the misfortune of being on the side of the table closer to the dragon. She began sidling towards the door when Malfoy roared. She heard the whoosh of wings and then she felt a blast of hot breath on her back.

“Don’t move, Miss Weasley,” Snape shouted from across the room. “Greens don’t normally eat humans. I believe he’s just attracted to the color of you hair.”

Ginny remembered that all dragons loved shiny things. Slowly she turned around to face the dragon. At the same time, she pulled the rubber band from her wrist that she used to hold her hair back. She pulled her hair into a ponytail and stuffed it down the back of her shirt.

“Look the shiny hair is gone. Why don’t you go hunt down a sheep?” she suggested.

The dragon tilted his head to the side, studying her. Leaning down, he sniffed the top of her head.

Ginny had no idea how the twin’s potion worked. Was Malfoy’s mind still intact, or had he taken on the personality of a dragon?

The dragon nudged her with his nose, pushing her back towards the table. She used the opportunity to climb on top of the table, intent on going over and making a run for it.

Hot breath on her back told her that escape wasn’t likely. “Do something,” she yelled to Snape.

“Nothing is working. Whoever invented this spell put something in to block all other magic,” Snape answered.

The next time she saw the twins she was going to hex them. She scrambled over the table and headed toward the door. The whoosh of wings told her Malfoy was closing in on her. The sensation of talons grasping her shoulders scared the hell out of her. Airborne, she struggled to break free of the dragon’s grasp. He flew out the doors of the great hall and squeezed out the main entrance of the castle.

“Damn it, Malfoy. If you eat me all six of my brother’s will come after you.”

The dragon seemed unimpressed. He headed for a dense clump of trees and dropped her a few feet from the ground. Her pulse pounded as she tried to make a run for it. Malfoy landed and roared a few inches from her face.

His breath was like a hot fog that surrounded her. The noise he made wasn’t terrible, but it was far too loud. As if by reflex, she reached out and slapped his snout. One second after making contact with his scaly skin, she deeply regretted her actions.

He butted her with his snout, knocking her flat on the ground.

She held up both hands in a sign or surrender. “Sorry. I won’t do that again.”

The dragon opened his mouth wide and came at her. She closed her eyes and braced herself for pain of sharp teeth sinking into her skin. When something hot, wet and squishy lapped from her shins up to her face, she bit her lip to keep from moaning in disgust.

Opening one eye, she saw the dragon looking down at her and panting like he was an overgrown dog. Carefully, she sat up.

“Miss Weasley,” Snape yelled. “Scratch his chest.”

She wondered if Snape was having fun at her expense. She climbed to her knees and reached up to scratch Draco’s chest. A growling purr reverberated through the dragon’s body.

“Good dragon,” she said as she regained her feet.

When she stopped scratching he looked disappointed. “This has been fun,” she told him as she backed away. “I have homework. If you don’t mind, I’ll just be going back to the castle.”

Draco whipped his tail around, blocking her escape.

“I don’t believe he means you harm. The spell should wear off soon,” Snape told her.

The dragon lay down and curled up like a cat. He pulled Ginny close by nudging her with his tail. She ended up standing with her back against his chest. Heat seeped from his body.
“At least I won’t be cold.”

“Ginny, are you all right?” Ron’s voice sounded frantic.

“I’m fine. Malfoy must like my hair. He wants me to scratch his chest.”

“Really?” Ron appeared among the dense trees. Hermione was behind him. Other gawkers became visible.

Not knowing what else to do, she waved and then reached up to give Draco a good scratch. The deep rumbling purr started again.

“Why did he pick you?” Pansy yelled from behind a tree.

“I’d be happy to trade places,” Ginny hollered back.

To Pansy’s credit, she walked out from behind the tree and glared at the dragon. Intent on claiming Draco’s affections, she stalked forward and said, “Draco, I’ll stay with you. Let Weasley go.”

Ginny tried to stand up, but Draco knocked her back against his body with a flick of his tail. Laughter was heard from among the trees.

“I guess we know who he’s been sneaking off to see,” Blaise stage whispered.

“Prat,” Pansy muttered as she stomped back to the trees. Ginny didn’t know if she meant Draco or Blaise.

The dragon nudged her with his head. “Fine.” She reached up to resume scratching. The low growling purr started again. “You’d better be nice to me when you shift back.”

Harry walked forward carrying a pitcher of water and a tray of food. “We don’t know how long you’ll be stuck out here.”

The dragon’s growl changed from a purr to something more menacing.

Harry froze. “I’ll just set this down over here.”

“Thanks, Harry.” She watched as he retreated to the trees.

She stopped scratching and put her hand on Draco’s snout. “I want that tray. I’ll get it and come back.”

Once again his tail prevented her from moving. He gave a short growl, which sounded like a warning. Then he released her.

Resigned to her fate, she walked to the tray, picked it up and returned to her spot sitting with her back against his chest. She drank from the pitcher of water and ate an apple. “You know you’re much nicer as a dragon than you are as a person,” she stated.

The sky began to dim. Lulled by the warmth of his body, Ginny dozed off. She hoped in the morning Draco would be back to his human form.

Sometime in the middle of the night, she felt herself being jostled around. Irritated that her sleep was being disturbed, she edged away from Draco. His tail wrapped around her waist and hauled her backwards. “Stop moving,” she muttered.

Warm breath fanned her neck. She shivered. She felt a light tug on her hair, and then the sensation of fingers combing through her hair.

Dragon’s didn’t have fingers.

“Malfoy?” she squeaked.

“Yes.” His tone was calm and content.

Why wasn’t he yelling at her? He had to know she was the one who dosed him with the potion.

Unsure of what to do, she rolled over slowly and looked at the blond boy who was playing with her hair.

“Are you all right?” she asked.

He stopped stroking her hair. “I feel...I don’t know. I feel...warm and...I don’t know.” He resumed stroking her hair.

“How do you feel about me?” she asked.

“I’m fascinated by your hair,” he told her.

She wondered if this was some residual effect of being a dragon.

“You should go back to sleep,” he told her.

He didn’t seem inclined to hurt her. Unable to come up with a plausible plan, she rolled over and closed her eyes. His arm snaked out and wrapped around her waist hauling her against his body. He continued to run his fingers through her hair until she fell asleep.

The sound of Snape’s voice woke her some time later.

“Miss Weasley, are you all right?”

She opened her eyes and yawned. “I’m fine.”

“Come here-”

Draco sat up, wrapped his arm around Ginny and said, “Mine.”

Snape’s scowled. “Mr. Malfoy, I expect you to come to your senses soon. Perhaps you should visit the medical wing.”

Ginny tried to stand up, but Draco grabbed her arm. “Don’t go.”

She blinked and sat next to him. “Do you want me to go to the medical wing with you?”

“Yes.” He stood and took her hand.

She suppressed a laugh at the expression of disgust on Snape’s face.

As they approached the castle, Draco glared at any males who came too close. When Harry emerged from the crowd and tried to hug her, Drace placed himself bodily in front of Ginny and growled.

Harry froze. “I guess that spell hasn’t completely worn off yet.”

Ron pushed past Harry, walked around Malfoy and hugged his sister. “Are you all right?”

“I’m fine. We’re going to the medical wing to have Draco checked out.”

“How come he can touch her but I can’t?” Harry asked.

“He’s family,” Draco stated. “He isn’t competition.”

Once they reached the hospital wing, Ginny sat next to Draco on a cot while Pomfrey checked him out from head to toe.

Snape came to supervise. He frowned when he saw Draco was still holding onto Ginny’s hand.

“His temperature is a bit high but other than that he’s fine.”

“If he’s fine, how do you explain that?” Snape pointed to their clasped hands.

“I think they look nice together,” Pomfrey stated.

“Merlin save me from romantic fools,” Snape muttered. “Both of you get to class.”

“It’s Saturday,” Pomfrey reminded him with a smile.

Snape reached up to rub the bridge of his nose. “I want you both out of my sight by the count of three. One, two...”
Chapter 5 by CCC
Author's Notes:
I'm on Hydrocodone for an injury right now, so this might be a little off.
Ginny lunged for the door, pulling Draco along with her. She had no idea where she was going. The staircases weren’t cooperating, and they ended up in a dusty hallway, which led to dustier rooms.

“Where are we?” she asked.

“I was following you,” Draco stated.

“That was not a wise move on your part.” Ginny laughed. “I just wanted to get away from Snape.”

She turned to find a confused look on the blond boy’s face.

“What’s wrong?”

He frowned. “I’m not supposed to like you.”

“Oh,” Ginny blew out a breath.

“You’re a Weasley.” His voice took on a sharp edge and he dropped her hand.

The hair on the back of Ginny’s neck stood up. It was a damn fine time for the potion to wear off. She backed up a step. “I’ll just go back to my room.”

He blinked. “I don’t want you to go.”

She continued edging away. “What do you want?”

He moved toward her. “I want to hold you and touch your hair.”

“Why?” she bit out.

“I don’t know. I should be ridiculing you and trying to scare you off. Having you afraid of me always made things easier.”

“Made things easier for who?” she asked.

“For me.” He studied her as if he was searching for an answer.

Her breath caught as she waited to see if Evil Draco was going to come out and play.

He gave a warm laugh. “I’m sorry. It’s like I was someone else there for a moment. I don’t want you to be afraid of me. I need you.”

Should she trust him? Was he setting her up just to knock her down? He moved forward and pulled her into a hug.

“I want to protect you and keep you safe.”

She closed her eyes, reveled in his warmth and allowed herself to believe in the fantasy. “I’d like for you to keep me safe.”

“Let’s see if we can’t figure out where we are.” He kissed her forehead and pulled her back down the hall. When he stopped walking, she bumped into him.

“Why are we stopping?” she asked. Nothing looked familiar yet.

“For this.” He lowered his head and pressed his mouth against hers. His lips were warm and soft. His hand cradled the back of her head. His tongue moved over hers while his hands drew her body closer. His muscular chest pressed against her soft curves. Her heart beat double time as his mouth moved to her neck. Heat flowed through her body as he nipped at her pulse points.

His mouth moved back up to her ear. “Mine,” he stated.

“Why?” she asked in a breathy voice.

He pulled away and smiled. “Because I said so.”

She burst out laughing at his look of smug superiority. “Maybe you should ask if I want to be yours,” she suggested in a teasing tone.

His eyes narrowed as he moved toward her, but the smile on his face kept her from being worried. “What are you up to?” she asked as she retreated and felt the cold stone wall against her back.

With a mischievous glint in his eye, he leaned down and exhaled hot breath across her neck. The difference in temperature between his breath and the wall caused a chill to run down her spine. She heard a low chuckle before he trailed hot kisses down her neck. His hands skimmed over her curves engulfing her in heat.

Animalistic noises emerged from her throat. She didn’t care. She just didn’t want this feeling to end. His hand skimmed up her thigh, and her entire world was reduced to sensation of his fingers barely touching her in a circular motion. A buzzing sensation started deep in her core and transformed into waves that crashed through her body and took her breath away. When she was able, she opened her eyes.

He bumped his nose against hers. “Mine.”

“Yours,” she agreed.

When he unfastened his trousers, she started to panic. She was relieved when he took her hand and wrapped it around himself. He showed her how to touch him in quick strokes. She watched as his body went rigid. His face tilted up toward the ceiling and his breath came in gasps before he roared his release.

She stood on tiptoe and kissed his cheek. “Mine,” she said.

He opened his eyes and nodded. “Yours.” After his breathing slowed, he used his wand to clean up any evidence of what they’d done.

She’d no idea sex was so messy.

“Food,” he said.

Laughing, she allowed him to pull her down nearby stairs on a hunt for the kitchen. Once they were seated at a table, the house elves brought them a variety of food.

They ate in silence. Ginny enjoyed watching him eat. His face was honest and open and his eyes were kind. It would break her heart if he changed back into the young man that sneered at her.

“How are you feeling?” she asked.

He set his drink down. “I feel good. Why?”

How could she explain that this wasn’t his normal behavior? “I like seeing you this happy.”

He finished off the last of an apple tart. “We should go flying.”

Flying sounded like a great idea. “We’ll have to get our brooms.”

“Why would I need a broom? I’ll fly and you can ride on my back.”

Oh crap. He still believed he was a dragon. “Draco, how will you fly without a broom?”

He laughed. “I have wings. Did you forget?” He stood and took her hand. “Come on. You can ride on my back.”

“Okay.” Maybe when they got to wherever they were going, he’d realize he couldn’t shift into dragon form. Then he’d probably turn back into the jerk that ridiculed her and messed with her head.

Not sure how to express her concerns without ticking him off, she walked along the hallway, holding his hand in silence. They walked up a stairwell which led them to a door that opened onto the castle grounds.

It was early evening. Students could be seen walking across campus or gathered in groups. Ginny didn’t want Draco to try and shift into a dragon where others might see and ridicule him. She pointed to a garden path which wound through tall shrubbery.

“Let’s go over there.”

Draco seemed happy to oblige. Once they were in the secluded area, he asked, “What’s wrong?”

She took a deep breath. “I’m afraid you won’t be able to turn into a dragon.”

He blinked. “I’m an Animagus. You saw me shift before.”

Crap. Crap. Crap.

“Are you sure you know what you’re doing? How many times have you shifted?”

“I’ve shifted dozens of times.” He laughed and then stared off into space. “I think it’s been dozens. Of course that was before I came to school.” He blinked. “Why did I shift yesterday? Mother and Father said I shouldn’t be able to shift here at school because our Animagus skills are supposed to be a secret.” He frowned. “Father won’t be happy when he hears I lost control and shifted. That’s water under the bridge I suppose.”

Ginny’s mouth fell open. “Are all Malfoys Animagus?”

Draco laughed. “No. My dad is. He saw my mother’s shiny hair and that was it.” Draco bit his lip and frowned. “I remember the first time I saw you outside Flourish and Blotts. I went on about your hair for days. Father was not pleased. Mother wasn’t happy because you were a Weasley, but she told him he couldn’t prevent what was meant to be. That was when he started teaching me how to behave like a Malfoy.”

He looked at her and seemed to sense her irritation. “I’m guessing my parent’s attitude about you being a Weasley is why your hands are on your hips.”

“Good guess,” she bit out.

“I like you. Isn’t that all that matters?”

Ginny tried to put her finger on just what was bothering her. “Did your father turn you into a jerk just to drive me away?”

“I think the smirking and mean comments and arrogant attitude are just the Malfoy way. Plus he knew if I was mean to your brothers and then to you, you wouldn’t like me.” A smile lit his face. “I wasn’t supposed to be able to shift into my dragon form on campus. My father put some sort of spell on me before I came to school. I don’t know what happened to change that. But, now I’m out, and I plan to stay that way.”

Ginny’s head was spinning. “So this is your real personality? You’re still arrogant, but you’re nice and you like me?”

He nodded. “Do you have a problem with that?”

She blinked. The handsome, rich, arrogant yet kind boy with an evil plotting father liked her. There might be a few wrinkles that had to be ironed out, but overall it was a nice development.
Chapter 6 by CCC
She watched as he shifted into dragon form. It was a much smoother process than she’d witnessed in the Great Hall. He stepped toward her and looked at her expectantly. When she did nothing, he puffed out his chest.

“Right.” She reached up to scratch him. The rumbling purr she remembered reverberated through his body. His eyes closed in an expression of pure bliss. When she stopped scratching he opened one eye.

“My dragon,” she teased.

He brought his tail around and pushed her toward his chest. She laughed and scratched some more. It would be nice if she could communicate with him when he was like this. There must be some sort of spell. Maybe Hermione could figure it out.

“What are you thinking?” she asked him.

He backed up and then crouched low to the ground. Understanding his intentions, she climbed on top of him, held onto his neck and wrapped her legs around his back. Without any warning, he pushed off into the air and took flight.

She shrieked in an undignified manner, and then whooped with joy as the landscape zoomed by underneath them. This was nothing like flying on a broom. On a broom she always had to be in control. Up here he was in control, and all she had to do was cling to him and marvel at the sensation of his muscle and bulk moving effortlessly beneath her.

He flew over the top of the castle and then circled the lake. Everywhere she looked, Ginny saw people pointing or waving at her. Pansy waved at her with one finger. Ginny chose not to respond. She’d be hacked off too if someone stepped in and snatched the bloke she liked.

After half an hour, Draco slowed and landed near the entrance to the castle. As gracefully as she could manage, she climbed off his back. Her legs ached from the exertion. Once she was standing on her own two feet, he shifted into his human form.

Harry and Hermione strolled over to greet them. Draco started to step in front of Ginny to block her friends’ access.

“They’re just friends,” she told him as she squeezed his hand.

Harry stopped a few feet away and said, “Who knew Malfoy was so insecure.”

“I don’t like the way you smell,” Draco stated with absolute sincerity.

“I showered this morning,” Harry protested.

Hermione laughed. “You probably release pheromones when you’re around Ginny.”

“I do not.”

“It’s not intentional,” Hermione explained. “It’s biology.” She took a step towards Draco. “Could you smell Ron sometime for me? I’d like to know if I have a shot, and Harry has been less than helpful.”

“I’ve told you I don’t want to be the go between for you two. It’s too awkward,” Harry stated.

“Tell Ron to grow a pair and ask Hermione out on a date,” Ginny suggested.

“A pair of what?” Hermione asked.

Ginny and Draco laughed.

Harry crossed his arms and glared at Ginny. “I’m not telling her. You brought it up, so it’s your job.”

Ginny rolled her eyes. “Fine. What’s the one thing men have a pair of that we don’t?”

“Oh, I get it.” Hermione blushed.

Draco yawned. “Let’s go inside. I’m tired.” He led her into the castle not bothering to discuss where they were going.

Soon she realized he was headed for the Slytherin Common Room.

She dug her heels in and said, “Stop.”

He turned to her with a confused look on his face.

“I can’t go into your Common Room.”

“Why?”

She couldn’t very well say that she was afraid he’d take her into enemy territory and then turn back into an evil arse. She played with his tie to distract him while she thought. “ How can I put this? I’m not in your house. Your friends don’t like me. Up until this morning, you didn’t like me.”

“That’s not true. I’ve always been drawn to you.”

“You didn’t have a nice way of showing it,” she pointed out. “Whenever we came in contact you did your best to humiliate me.”

Draco clasped her hands between his larger hands. “I’m not the same person who was mean to you. He’s gone. He won’t be coming back.”

She’d love to believe that. Keeping all the benefits of the hormonal rush with none of the pain in the arse attitude seemed too good to be true. “How do you know?”

One corner of his mouth turned up. “Because I said so, and I’m always right.”

There was some of that attitude now. She rolled her eyes. “Of course you are. You’re a Malfoy.”

“I’m glad you understand.” He put his arm around her shoulders and propelled her forward.

“That was sarcasm,” she told him.

He chuckled but didn’t say anything more. When they reached the staircase, which would lead them to the dungeons, Ginny balked. “I can’t go to your room.”

“Why?”

“For starters, people would talk. Then there’s the fact that I don’t plan on sharing a bed with anyone but my husband.”

“Since we’ll marry that isn’t an issue,” Draco stated.

His absolute certainty about their situation was bizarre and a tad bit creepy. She took a deep breath and decided to go along with his logic for now. “If things go well, we could marry in the future. Right now, we’re still in school. We aren’t married. We just started dating.” None of her arguments seemed to be sinking in. She tried a different tact. “Do you want people to think well of me?”

“Yes.”

“If I’m seen entering your room, even if it’s just to take a nap, people will say rude things about me.”

His expression changed. “That is unacceptable.”

Relief coursed through her system. “Good. I’m glad you understand.”

He stared off into space. She tried to get a read on his emotions, but his gray eyes gave nothing away. “Why don’t we separate for now, and meet up later?”

He shook his head. “That doesn’t work for me.”

While she enjoyed the adoration, she wasn’t about to let him tell her what to do. “Draco, I’m glad you like my company, but we can’t be together all the time.”

“But you’re mine,” he protested.

Hands on her hips, she took a deep breath and then blew it out. “I’m not finding that statement as charming as I did this morning. We are together right now because we both want it.”

“Isn’t that what I said?”

It wasn’t worth arguing over. She yawned. “I want to take a nap.”

“I believe that was my intention from the start,” he reminded her. “The question is where can we take a nap together?”

“I think the school frowns on male and female students napping together,” she pointed out.

His eyes lit up. “I’ve got it.”

“Where are we going?” she asked as he led her up several staircases.

“It’s a surprise.”

Cool air flowed through the hallway. Ginny shivered. “We should have brought blankets.”

“You don’t need a blanket,” he told her. “You have me.” They came upon double wooden doors. Draco opened them and said, “This is perfect.”

The large drafty room seemed far from perfect. Furniture covered in sheets and piles of boxes littered the space. She was distracted from her contemplation of the room when Draco pressed his lips against hers. Following his lead, she threaded her hands through his silky hair. His left hand cupped the base of her skull while his right hand grasped her waist.

Heat soared through her body as his mouth moved over hers. She remembered why she was putting up with his odd behavior. When he pulled away from her, it took her a moment to remember where they were.

“Sorry, that was supposed to be a goodnight kiss.” He smirked. “I got carried away.”

She tried to speak, but ended up squeaking. After clearing her throat, she said, “That’s all right.”

His eyes darkened. “I don’t feel tired anymore. Do you?”

“Yes,” she lied.

He moved his mouth and nipped at the sensitive skin just below her ear. Liquid heat flowed through her body. “Are you sure?” he asked.

It took great willpower to step away from him. “Sorry. I want a nap.”

He looked disappointed, but he didn’t argue. “I suppose that is why we came to this room.”

“Why did you choose this room?” she asked.

His form shimmered and shifted until the dragon stood in front of her. He turned around in a clockwise circle three times, like a cat getting ready to sleep. Once he was curled up on the floor, he tilted his head and looked at her.

It would probably be easier on her hormones if they napped in this manner. She would still feel warm and protected, but wouldn’t have to worry about fending off romantic advances. Climbing over his tail, she settled against his warm bulk. It was second nature now to reach up and scratch his chest. His rumbling purr acted like a lullaby.

Ginny dreamt she was riding on the dragon’s back as he flew around the campus. For no reason, he shifted midair. She plummeted toward the earth while he laughed. Just before she hit the hard ground, he yelled, “You knew this wouldn’t last.”

She woke with a start. It took her a moment to get her bearings. The dream had seemed so real. Wanting some sort of affirmation, she scratched the dragon’s chest. His eyes slowly opened.

“Change back,” she requested.

The dragon’s jaws opened wide in a huge yawn. Then he shifted back.

“What’s wrong?”

“I had a bad dream.” She laid her head on his chest and wrapped her arms around him. His arms wrapping around her felt reassuring.

“What did you dream about?”

She wasn’t about to tell him he starred in her nightmare. “I dreamt I was falling. I knew when I hit the ground I would die.”

“That would never happen in real life, because I’ll always be around.” He pulled away from her and leaned down to brush his lips across her cheek. “You’re mine. Now that I have you I’ll never let you go.” His voice took on a cold edge. “I’d kill anyone who tried to come between us.”
Chapter 7 by CCC
At Draco’s words a chill ran down Ginny’s spine.

“Are you cold?” he asked.

She nodded since she could hardly tell him that he was creeping her out.

He stood and held out his hand. “I think I know how to warm you up.”

She took his hand and allowed him to pull her to her feet. Once she was standing, he led her over to some of the furniture covered with sheets. He pulled his wand and performed a spell Ginny didn’t recognize. A sheet flew off a dingy brown couch. As Ginny watched the couch started to shimmer. The dust and grime fell away revealing a yellow and white striped couch.

“I’m not even going to ask why you know that spell,” Ginny stated.

Draco gestured for her to sit on the couch. “We have many antiques in storage at the manor. When Mother wishes to redecorate, she uses that spell to make sure the antiques are in pristine condition.”

Ginny wondered if anything in her house had ever been in pristine condition. Probably not.

Draco sat next to her and draped his arm across her shoulders. “Are you warmer now that we’re off the floor?”

She leaned into him. “I am. Thanks.” Reaching up, she ran her fingers through his hair. He closed his eyes as her fingernails grazed his scalp. “Is this as good as having your chest scratched?” she asked.

“Almost.” His eyes opened to slits. “Do you like me better as a dragon?”

She sensed this was an important question, but she wasn’t sure why. Trying to be diplomatic, she said, “I like you both ways. When you’re a dragon I like flying with you. When you’re human I like it when you hold me.”

Her response must have pleased him because he smiled and pulled her onto his lap. His lips brushed across her cheek. She sighed and laid her head on his chest. The sound of his heartbeat relaxed her.

***

“Ginny, wake up.”

She startled at the sound of his voice close to her ear. It took her a moment to remember where she was and who she was with.

“I didn’t plan on falling asleep again,” she rubbed her eyes.

“Neither did I,” he admitted. “It’s probably close to curfew. I should walk you back to your room.”

On the way back to her common room, Ginny noticed people giving her and Draco odd looks and a wide berth. She found the situation amusing, but thought it might be best not to comment on it. When they reached the entrance to her common room, she kissed him on the cheek. “I had fun with you. Today was a good day.”

He smiled. “From now on all of your days will be good. I’ll see to it personally.”

The full on smile he gave her made her stomach do a little flip. Maybe this could work. She squeezed his hand. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

He released her. As she entered the common room, she tried to dim her own smile just in case Ron or Harry were waiting to question her.

Hermione was the only occupant of the room. She sat on one of the couches reading a book. “How was your day with Malfoy?”

“It was great, but some of the time I felt like I was walking on eggshells.”

Closing the book, Hermione said, “I think all relationships are like that in the beginning. I imagine it’s worse with Malfoy because he used to play the role of tormenter and now he’s portraying himself as your protector.”

“Every once in a while he says something that sounds a tad bit like a stalker.”

“Well, he’s always been an all or nothing type of person. When he hates you he strives to make your life as miserable as possible. When he cares for you he probably goes overboard on trying to protect you.” Hermione frowned. “Maybe you shouldn’t go places alone with him until we’re sure he won’t change back.”

The thought of Draco changing back to the malicious young man who lived to belittle and torment others made her feel ill. “He’s been protective and considerate so far. Hopefully that won’t change.”

***
The next morning when Ginny walked into the Great Hall for breakfast, she was aware of people whispering and pointing at her. Trying to ignore the gawkers, she took a seat next to Hermione, which allowed her to see the Slytherin table. Draco was sitting in his usual spot next to Pansy but he was ignoring the dark haired girl completely.

Pansy looked like she wanted to eviscerate someone with her butter knife. She was ranting to Blaise who sat next to her. The dark haired young man kept looking away and biting his lip. It looked like he was trying to hold in laughter.

Ginny smiled and then turned her gaze to Draco. He was glaring at her.

Crap.

Had he changed back? Her throat felt tight. She glanced down at her plate. The eggs and toast lost their appeal. She clamped her eyelids shut in an effort to keep her tear ducts under control.

A hand touched her arm. “What’s wrong?” Hermione asked.

She took a deep breath in through her nose and blew it out her mouth. Opening her eyes, she gave Hermione a tight smile. “I’m worried that Draco has changed back.”

Hermione studied the Slytherin table. “How can you tell?”

“He glared at me like he used to.” She poked at the eggs on her plate. “I knew it was too good to last.” She was surprised at how upset she actually was over the loss.

“I’m sorry. If I’d let you blast Ron into the lake like you wanted to in the beginning, none of this mess ever would have happened.”

Ginny pushed her plate away. “I’m going to sulk in my room. If you have a stash of chocolate I could use some.”

“I’ll get something from the kitchens for you after I’m finished here.”

“Thanks.” Ginny checked the Slytherin table one more time. Draco scowled at her. She sighed and left the table.

As she made her way down the hall she heard footsteps coming up behind her. She moved over to the right so whoever it was could pass her. When a hand latched onto her arm and yanked her around, she yelped.

Cold fury shone from Draco’s eyes.

“What happened?” she snarled. “Did your father drop by school and teach you to hate me again?” To her horror, tears overflowed her lashes. “I can’t take this back and forth crap. If you’re going to hex me then get it over with.”

Draco’s face showed confusion, and then it softened. “I don’t hate you. I could never hate you.”

“Then why are you hurting my arm?” she whispered.

He dropped his hand. “I saw you looking at Blaise. You smiled at him.”

“I did not.” She stomped her foot. “Pansy was ranting and Blaise looked like he was trying not to laugh. I thought the situation was funny. Then you scowled at me and I thought...I thought you hated me again.”

He reached for her. Even though she felt she should have more backbone, she allowed him to pull her into a hug. Tears continued to flow from her eyes. “What is wrong with me?” she muttered. “I’m never this much of a crybaby.”

Draco ran his fingers through her hair. “It’s because I’m your mate.”

Ginny waited for him to go on. She sniffled and then looked up at him. “What does that mean?”

“Dragons mate for life. Deep down you probably know that. If I were to shun you, you’d never be able to find someone else.”

His tone was kind, but he seemed to be issuing a warning. She decided to give him one of her own. “I’m bound to smile at other boys. You need to understand that a smile doesn’t mean flirting. I don’t want you grabbing my arm like that again.”

He tipped her chin up further so he stared straight down into her eyes. “I would never harm you on purpose. Can you say the same?”

“Yes.”

He leaned down and brushed his mouth against hers. “I, Draco Malfoy, vow to love, honor and protect Ginevra Weasley until the day I die. Vow to me that you’ll never leave. No matter what happens, swear that you’ll stay by my side.”
Chapter 8 by CCC
Ginny opened her mouth even though she had no idea what to say. Draco had officially crossed over into creepy, stalker territory again. “I-”

“Not a word, Miss Weasley,” Snape thundered. He glowered at Draco. “Have you lost your mind? To take such a vow is lunacy.”

Even though she sort of agreed with him, Ginny was offended. “Professor-”

Snape’s wand flashed, and Ginny found herself mute. She stomped her foot and glared at Snape.

Draco placed his arm around her shoulder. “It’s all right. I know what your answer would have been.” He kissed her forehead and sighed.

Guilt settled over her like a shroud.

“Mr. Malfoy, if you continue down this path I shall be forced to Floo your father. Imagine his reaction to your newfound obsession. Miss Weasley would more than likely be missing her head rather than her voice.”

Goosebumps pebbled Ginny’s arms. Snape’s words rang true. Lucius Malfoy was no one to trifle with.

“Stop it,” Draco demanded.

Ginny thought he was speaking to Snape. When Draco pulled her around to face him, she realized he was addressing her. “Stop doubting me.”

She opened her mouth to answer forgetting nothing would come out. If she could speak, she’d tell him that she didn’t doubt him, but she did think taking a marital vow was a bit extreme. Her eyes teared up in frustration.

Draco’s demeanor softened. He pulled her into an embrace and kissed the top of her head. "Don't worry. Professor Snape can't keep us apart. We were fated to be."

Warmth and security flowed around her. She sighed and cuddled closer. During moments like this she felt ready to take any vow Draco wanted.

“That’s it,” Snape declared. “I’m Flooing your father.”

She felt Draco stiffen as the professor stalked away. Unable to speak, she reached up to touch his face.

“My father will try to take you away from me.”

The sadness in his eyes made her heart hurt. There had to be a way to keep Lucius form changing his son back into the boy who hated her.

“You would take the vow if you could, wouldn't you?”

She nodded.

“We can still complete the vow,” he told her. “Ginevra Weasley, if you promise to love, honor and stand by me until the day I die, then kiss me.”

If this was the only way to keep him from Lucius’ clutches, then it was what she needed to do. Standing on tiptoe, she pressed her lips against his. Magic swirled up around them, pressing them closer and combining their magical essence into one.

“How dare you!” a masculine voice roared. Lucius Malfoy bore down on them with his wand drawn.

Draco stepped in front of Ginny. He spoke in a calm voice. “Father, you knew this day would come.”

Ginny clenched her wand. Without her voice it was useless. Where was Snape? How could he leave her defenseless like this?

Lucius snarled and raised his wand.

Draco erected a shield. “I won’t allow you to harm her father. She’s mine.”

“We’ll see about that.” A wave of power erupted from Lucius’ wand. It smashed through Draco’s shield. The power continued on its path painfully slamming Draco into Ginny and pinning her body against the stone wall.

“Take back your vow,” Lucius thundered.

“No.” Draco struggled to raise his wand arm. He was no match for his father.

“That’s enough.” The feminine voice cut through Lucius’ mad fury like a knife. He lowered his wand even though his eyes still burned with anger.

Ginny looked to see Narcissa Malfoy standing next to Professor Snape. The pressure on her body eased, and she slid to the floor.

Draco lowered himself to the floor and pulled her into his arms. “Are you all right? Where are you hurt?” Panic was evident in his voice.

She opened her mouth but found herself still mute.

Professor Snape approached and said the counter spell.

She wanted to be brave in the face of her enemies, but there wasn’t a single part of her body that didn’t feel bruised. She sucked in a breath and blinked her eyes rapidly. Tears overflowed her lashes and trailed down her cheeks.

Draco held her closer. He kissed her forehead. “I’m sorry. Forgive me. I thought I could protect you.”

Lucius gasped.

Ginny flinched expecting a new wave of pain.

Narcissa approached and spoke to Draco. “Help my daughter-in-law to her feet so I may greet her properly.”

Wary of what new torment this might bring, Ginny held her wand at the ready as Draco helped her stand.

A small smile played across Narcissa’s lips. “You’ve no idea of the significance of my son’s words, have you?”

Not trusting her voice, Ginny shook her head.

“A Malfoy never apologizes, except to another Malfoy. By asking your forgiveness, he has bound you to his side more firmly than any vow of love ever could have hoped to achieve.”
Chapter 9 by CCC
Ginny sat in Snape’s office clutching Draco’s hand. Her parents had arrived by Floo a few moments ago. Things were growing uglier by the minute.

“How could you let this happen?” Molly yelled at Snape.

“I tried to prevent it.” Snape glared at Lucius. “Had I been informed of the boy’s ‘condition’ I would’ve taken stronger measures to keep them apart.”

Arthur pointed at Lucius. “You should have warned us of your son’s unhealthy attraction to our daughter.”

Lucius sniffed. “I’d hoped to suppress my son’s perverse interest until he graduated. Then I would have found him a suitable mate.”

“What’s done is done,” Narcissa muttered. She glanced over at Ginny and then back at Molly. “I will not have my daughter-in-law walking around in rags. If you can’t afford to clothe your daughter in decent attire then I will send one of our tailors to dress her appropriately.”

“How dare you?” Molly stalked over and stood toe to toe with the tall blond woman. “I’ve raised seven children and made sure they were always properly fed and clothed.”

“We are not here to discuss the differences in our families,” Arthur placed a hand on his wife’s arm and she retreated a few steps. “We are here to figure out a way to undo this blasted vow.”

“Agreed,” Lucius turned his gaze on his son. “We could Obliviate them. I could perform the anti-animagus spell, which would keep Draco from shifting to dragon form. He would go back to hating your daughter.”

“No.” Draco stood and pulled Ginny with him. “You will not Obliviate me. I’m eighteen. Ginny is seventeen. We are both of age. You’ve no right to take her from me.”

Lucius’ face became a cold mask. “I have every right to protect my lineage. You will not dilute our gene pool with a Weasley.”

Ginny bit her tongue to keep from yelling at the terrifying man.

“The entire student body witnessed Draco’s transformation,” Snape pointed out. “We can’t Obliviate all of them.”

Lucius stared at the head of his cane. “No. But I can turn my son into someone your daughter will loathe.”

Ginny stepped in front of Draco. “Don’t even think about it. I’ll contact the twins and they’ll make your life a living hell.”

“I’m not afraid of those idiotic pranksters.”

“Those pranksters will make sure you receive dung bombs and other nasty surprises in your post and through your many Floos every day for as long as I ask.”

Lucius tilted his head and stared at her. “In case you’ve forgotten, you now reside at my Manor. Making threats, no matter how absurd, is not advisable.”

“She lives with us,” Arthur interjected. “I don’t care what words were exchanged. Until she participates in a proper wedding ceremony with my blessing, then she resides with her mother and I.”

“Perhaps we could consider them promised to marry.” Narcissa turned to Ginny’s mum. “Can I assume your daughter was raised to remain untouched until her wedding night?”

“Yes.” Her mum responded.

Ginny remembered her encounter with Draco in the hallway earlier in the day and felt her face heat up.

Lucius must have noticed her change in color because he chuckled. “I believe you’re both underestimating teenage lust.”

“Ginevra, we need to have a talk,” her mum stated.

She squeezed Draco’s hand and then let go. Keeping her head up and her shoulder’s back, she followed her mum to the far corner of the room.

The glare her mum leveled at her made her squirm. “It was just a snog,” Ginny protested. Before her mum could lay into her, she added. “I know about Bill.”

“You know what about Bill?”

“I know you claim he was born two months premature,” Ginny whispered.

“Yes. Well.” Her mum pretended to straighten her blouse. “If you figured that out then you know why I’m concerned.”

She couldn’t fault her mum’s logic.

“I already told Draco that I don’t plan to share a bed with anyone until I’m married. He didn’t argue with me.”

Molly reached up to rub her temples. “I know you’re a good girl, but sometimes good intentions fly out the window in the heat of the moment. I obviously speak from experience.”

Ginny asked a question she’d always wondered but never voiced. “Was I an accident?”

Her mum smiled. “None of my children were accidents. Quite a few of them were blessed surprises, but none were accidents.”

“Given our families tendencies toward multiple surprises, I don’t plan on letting things get out of hand with Draco. “

Someone cleared their throat, and Ginny turned to find her father smiling at her. “I thought I’d join the family conference.”

Her mum patted Ginny on the shoulder. “She plans to wear white, but she knows about Bill.”

“I see.” Her dad glanced back at the Malfoys. “I don’t understand how this came to be.”

She didn’t want to mention that dosing Draco with the twins’ animagus potion has set all of these events in motion. “It’s complicated. After Draco shifted, he changed. It turns out he’s been infatuated with me since the first time he saw me. His parents didn’t approve, so his dad bound his powers and turned him into a jerk to keep us apart.”

“How does he treat you now?” her dad asked.

“Now, he is protective of me and likes to make me happy. He’s still a prat sometimes, but most of the time he makes me feel safe and warm.” Ginny blushed.

“I don’t know, Ginny.” Her father’s brow furrowed. “He is a Malfoy. They aren’t kind people.”

“I wanted to slap Narcissa for that comment on your clothes,” her mum whispered.

Ginny didn’t have the heart to tell her mum that she’d love new clothes.

Her dad looked at Ginny’s outfit. “You’ve grown and your skirt is a bit short. Why don’t we buy you a new school uniform?”

She wasn’t sure if he meant new from a store, or just new to her. “I would like a new skirt. Maybe we could Floo to Diagon Alley after we finish up here?”

“I’ll go shopping and send you something in the post,” her mum answered.

Ginny had the sinking feeling that whatever came in the post would be from a second hand shop. “Thanks, mum.”

Snape cleared his throat. “If I could have your attention, I think we need to set some ground rules.” He pointed at Ginny. “I’ll be placing a ward on the Slytherin common room and on Draco’s room. If you cross the threshold of either room I will know and you will be given detention every night for the duration of your education.”

Hands on her hips, Ginny glared at Snape. “I don’t plan on visiting either location, so you’re wasting your threats.”

Snape pointed at Draco. “I’ll be placing the same wards on Miss Weasley’s room and her common room with the same stipulation.”

“Of course, Professor.”

Ginny wondered how Draco could remain calm and collected about this when she wanted to beat Snape over the head with a cauldron.

“Your precautions are unnecessary,” Lucius announced. He pointed his wand at his son. In a menacing voice he chanted a spell. Green light enveloped Draco.

“No,” Ginny yelled. She lunged for Draco.

She felt his body stiffen. Then he looked at her with distaste. “Get off of me, Weasley.” He pushed her away. Turning to his father, he said, “I apologize for my behavior. I’ve no idea what came over me.”

Ginny’s eyes filled with tears. Her throat felt like it was full of hot sand. The boy who cared for her was gone.
Chapter 10 by CCC
Draco turned a malevolent gaze on her. “I, Draco Malfoy, revoke my vow to Ginevra Weasley on the basis that it was given when I was under the influence of an unknown spell.”

Nothing happened.

“I’m afraid you’ve shackled yourself to a Weasley,” his mother announced. “Your father and I will hire someone to look into this situation.”

Despite Ginny’s best efforts, tears overflowed her lashes.

“Sad that you won’t have access to my fortune?” Draco asked.

Rage made her hand fly towards his face. Her hand stung from the slap she landed on his right cheek.

The red mark on his face was the only outward sign that she’d landed a blow. He remained frozen, but fury shone from his eyes. When he spoke, his voice was like ice. “If you ever do that again, I will return the favor.”

She had no doubt he meant it.

“If you hurt my daughter I will kill you.” Her father delivered this threat in a tone just as cold as Draco’s.

“Do not threaten my son.” Lucius’ tightly controlled voice was far scarier than Draco or her father’s. She realized, of the three, he was probably the only one who might have killed someone.

“If you’d taught your son to be respectful of women I wouldn’t have to threaten him,” her father bit out.

“Enough,” Snape yelled. He pointed his wand at Draco and Ginny. A yellow light surrounded them and then disappeared. “Now, neither of you can do the other physical harm. Yell at each other all you like, but try to inflict pain and you will find the pain doubled and turned back on yourself.”

Ginny took a step toward Draco. “I want to make one thing clear. I don’t give a rats ass about your money. You’re a sorry substitute for the boy who took me flying. I have no desire to spend any time around you.”

“Nor I, around you.” Draco looked at her like she was gum he’d found on the bottom of his boot. “I’ll figure out a way to break this vow and be done with you.”

“Why don’t I ask Hermione to figure out a solution to our problem?” Ginny smiled at him. “After all, we all know she’s smarter than you.”

Draco’s lip curled up in a sneer. The sight warmed Ginny’s heart.

“Let’s get you back to your room,” her mum said.

Ginny allowed her parents to lead her from Snape’s office. When they reached the Gryffindor common room, they followed her inside.

Hermione took one look at Ginny and said, “He changed back, didn’t he?”

She didn’t bother to stop the tears. “It’s worse than that. Draco asked me to take a bonding vow. I didn’t want to, but then it seemed like the only way to save him from his father.”

Ron groaned. “Tell me you’re not bonded to Malfoy.”

Her mum placed an arm around Ginny’s shoulders. “She did what she thought was necessary at the time. I’m sure we’ll figure out a way to fix this.”

Hermione pulled out a blank piece of parchment. “I’ll need to know the exact words you exchanged. I can go to the library tonight if you like.”

Ginny took a deep breath and blew it out. “Thank you. I knew you’d help. I don’t want to talk about it any more tonight. Can we start tomorrow?”

“Sure.” Hermione put her quill down.

After her parents hugged her and left, Ginny went up to her bedroom. Hermione followed. “I’m here if you need to talk.”

Ginny waved her friend in and lay back on the bed. “It hurts so much. He used to tell me how much he cared for me. Now, he spits venom at me.”

“Which boy do you think is the real Draco?” Hermione asked.

“I’m not sure anymore.” She sat up. “I didn’t want to take the vow. After Draco said his part, Snape hexed me mute and left to Floo Lucius. Draco seemed so sad and vulnerable when he thought his father would take me away. He said I should kiss him if I wanted to take the vow. I couldn’t bare the look in his eyes, so I kissed him.”

“You didn’t actually say the words, but Draco did?”

Ginny nodded.

“That may give us a loophole right there.”

“Draco tried to revoke his vow, but it didn’t work.”

“I’ll figure this out. Until I do you need to stay as far away from him as possible.”

“Snape cast a spell so we couldn’t physically hurt each other.”

“We both know that Draco prefers to torture with words.” Hermione sighed. “I think you need to keep a friend by your side at all times.”

***

The next morning Ginny walked into the great hall with trepidation. She kept her eyes averted from the Slytherin table, but that didn’t stop her from hearing the snickering.

“You don’t know that they’re talking about you,” Hermione countered.

Harry cleared his throat. “Ron and I devised a schedule where one of our guys will be with you at all times.” He put his arm around her shoulders. “We’ll take care of you, Ginny. Hermione will figure a way to dissolve the bond. Life will go back to normal.”

Ginny put on a brave face. If life were back to normal she’d have some sort of thrill from Harry’s arm being around her shoulders. She felt nothing for him. What was wrong with her? The boy she’d dreamt about for years was closer to her than he’d ever been, and she was numb.

“Thanks, Harry.” She pointed at a platter of toast. “Can you pass the toast and jam please?”

He removed his arm, which was the desired outcome of asking him to retrieve the two items. She fixed her breakfast and ate it without tasting a bite.

Ron walked her to her first class. Harry took second shift. Draco didn’t seek her out. For that she was grateful.

Seamus showed up to walk her from her third class to lunch. He’d always been an affectionate friend. When he placed his arm on her lower back to steer her down the hall, she thought nothing of it. When they were in sight of the great hall, Seamus steered her toward an alcove.

“I wanted to ask you a question.” Seamus’ face flushed.

“Sure. What’s up?”

“Do you think I have a shot with Lavender?”

“I heard she broke up with that Ravenclaw she’s been seeing. Ask her out. All she can say is no.” Ginny snorted. “It’s not like she’ll turn into an evil monster who lives to torment you.”

Seamus winced. “I’m a prat. I shouldn’t have asked you about this.”

“It’s okay. Come on. I’ll sit by her, so you two can talk.”

“Thanks.”

Ginny led Seamus to a spot near Lavender and did her best not to look across the room at Draco. She tuned out the awkward flirting going on between her friends. When lunch was over, Seamus took off with Lavender.

Ron took his turn as her escort. He seemed to sense she didn’t want to talk, so he didn’t press her. He dropped her at the door to her classroom and bolted to his own class.

After setting her bookbag down, Ginny decided to run to the loo. When she emerged from the stall, Draco waited for her by the sinks.

“This is the girls loo,” she objected.

“We need to talk.”

His tone made the hair on the back of her neck stand up. She edged toward the door. “Sorry. I have class.”

He grabbed her arm and held tight. His grip was firm, but not hard enough to hurt her. “I do not want to see you in the company of another male. Do you understand?”

She didn’t. But, the look in his eyes told her that wasn’t a smart answer. “Friends are walking me to class to protect me from you. I didn’t realize you were crazy enough to follow me into the loo.”

“Even though I don’t want you, you are still mine.” He emphasized each word like that might help her understand.

He was mental. She started to tell him just that, but reasoned his pain threshold was higher than hers and he might have no reservations about causing himself pain if it also hurt her. She took a deep breath and blew it out. It was up to her to be the rational one. “Tell me why you’re upset.”

He sneered. “I’m upset because Potter had his arm around you at breakfast this morning and Seamus had his hands on you before lunch.”

Her mouth dropped open. “They weren’t flirting with me. They were consoling me.”

“I don’t care.”

Deciding to take a stand, she got in his face. “You scare me. As long as you keep scaring me, I will ask other males to protect me from you.”

He released her arm. “If I see another boy touch you, I will hurt him."
Chapter 11 by CCC
Ginny didn’t relent. “Let me explain this one more time. You. Scare. Me. Stop scaring me, and I won’t need my friends to keep guard over me all the time.”

He didn’t comment but he didn’t let go of her arm either.

“I have to go to class.”

He dropped her arm. “If you act appropriately, I’ll have no reason to seek you out.”

She dashed for the door wondering what his definition of appropriate might be.

After class, Seamus came walking toward her hand in hand with Lavender. “Look at you two,” she teased.

Seamus blushed. “We seem to be getting on. How’re you doing?” He reached to touch her shoulder, and she backed away from him.

A look of hurt confusion crossed Seamus’ face.

“Sorry. My evil friend is insanely jealous of any male who touches me. He warned me to behave appropriately.”

Seamus gestured that they should continue walking. “When did he do this?”

“He caught me in the girls loo.”

“What?” Lavender frowned. “He can’t do that. It’s the girls loo for Merlin’s sake.”

“I would’ve thought there was a spell on the loos to keep boys out.” Seamus added.

“Thought about going into the girls loo, have you?” Lavender teased.

Seamus’ cheeks turned pink.

Lavender laughed. “That’s the fourth time I’ve made him blush today.”

At dinner, Ginny told Ron, Harry and Hermione about her encounter with Malfoy.

“Draco can’t threaten you like that. You should go to Snape.” Hermione advised.

“But he didn’t threaten her.” Harry pointed out. “He threatened to hurt her friends.”

“Evil bastard,” Ron muttered.

Hermione played with her food. “I guess Ron and I can take turns walking you to class.”

Ginny finished off her cup of tea. She was careful not to look at Hermione as she spoke. “Draco became nice after he transformed into a dragon. What if there was some way to make him shift into his dragon form again? Do you think he’d turn back into the boy who cared about me?”

Harry sighed. “As soon as Lucius heard about it, he’d come and change him back into the Malfoy we know and loathe.”

Hermione cleared her throat. “If you need a potion to make him nice, then it isn’t real.”

Ginny set her fork down. “When he was nice, he was jealous. Now that he’s evil, he’s still jealous. How can he be jealous if he doesn’t even like me?”

“That is odd.” Hermione glanced around the Great Hall. “Gin, look over there. The Ravenclaw you had a crush on is facing this way. Look at him and tell me what you think.”

Ginny observed the dark haired young man. He still had the same square jaw, high cheekbones and dark soulful eyes, but now she didn’t find him attractive. “I think he’s nice to look at, but I’m not interested.”

“Look at Draco,” Hermione instructed.

Trying not to appear too obvious, Ginny took a long drink from her cup and gazed over the rim at the Slytherin table. Pansy was pressing herself against Draco and giving him a gaping view of her cleavage.

The teacup began to shake in Ginny’s hand. She slammed it down on the table sloshing the tea over the sides.

“Ginny, what are you feeling?”

“Rage,” she whispered. “I want to hex Pansy and smack Draco.” Ginny closed her eyes and took slow deep breaths. When she had her anger under control, she said, “I’m jealous. I hate him, but I’m jealous. I’m acting as mental as he is.”

“Maybe it’s because of the vow you took,” Hermione suggested.

“Draco once told me that dragons mate for life. He claimed if he left me, I’d never find another person to love.”

“Manipulative bastard,” Ron muttered.

“Do you have anything constructive to add to the conversation, or do you just plan on calling him names?” Hermione snapped.

Ron shrugged. “I’m good at calling him names. It’s my hobby.” He looked at his sister. “I’m sorry you’re hurt, but I’m not sorry you and Malfoy are at odds. I hate him. I don’t care what kind of spell his father put on him, if he loved you he’d be able to break through the spell.”

“You don’t know that, Ronald.” Hermione chided.

“I do. If you love someone, a spell can’t stop that. It might make you forget, but it wouldn’t make the love go away.”

Hermione started to speak and Ron put his hand over her mouth. “Love spells don’t work. If you can’t create love with magic then you can’t destroy it either.”

He dropped his hand. Hermione just stared at him. “That’s the smartest thing I’ve ever heard you say.”

“I have my moments,” he grinned and went back to his sandwich.

Ginny’s brain was trying to catch up with Ron’s logic. “If he really loved me, then that love is still inside him somewhere. What if I do something to remind him of how he felt? Do you think I could bring the nice Draco back?”

“No.” Ron slammed his fist on the table. “You’re missing the point. If he did love you then he wouldn’t be acting this way now. We need to focus on breaking the vow. That is what I meant.”

Hermione placed her hand on Ron’s arm to calm him. “I’m not sure-”

“I’m sure.” His tone became angry. “No matter what spell someone put on me I’d never stop loving you.”

Hermione seemed to stop breathing. Then she placed her hands on either side of Ron’s face and looked him straight in the eye. “You love me?”

Ron gave tentative smile. “Uhm. Yeah. I do.”

Leaning forward slowly, Hermione brushed her lips against his. Then she pulled back. “I love you too.”

Ron pulled Hermione onto his lap and kissed her soundly. Everyone at the Gryffindor table cheered.

***

Ginny felt restless after dinner. She didn’t want to sit in the Common Room with Ron and Hermione. While she was happy for the couple, seeing them kiss only reminded her of what she lost. She decided to tell Harry where she was going, so someone would know where to look for her if she wasn’t back by curfew.

“Harry, I’m going to the library.”

He stood. “I’ll go with you.”

Ginny shook her head. “I’ve been thinking about it. If I don’t do anything to make him jealous, he’ll leave me alone.”

“Why don’t I follow you to the library just to make sure you get there safely. Then you can ask someone else to walk you back. I don’t like the idea of you wandering around alone.”

What he said made sense. “Thanks.”

Harry stayed about ten feet behind her on the walk to the library. When she reached the library doors, he waved and headed back to the Common Room. Ginny headed toward the aisle where she thought she’d find books with information about bonding vows.

When she turned down the aisle, she found Draco leafing through a book. He glanced up as she drew nearer and then focused on his book again.

“I’ve already checked all the books on the top shelf.”

At least he wasn’t being combative. She nodded. “All right. I’ll start at the bottom.”

He opened his mouth. She cut him off. “Can we agree to be civil since we’re working toward the same end?”

“I suppose.”

Ginny sat on the floor and pulled several books off the shelf. As she scanned through them she became warm. To alleviate this problem, she unbuttoned the top two buttons of her blouse and fanned the material back and forth.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m warm,” she answered without looking up at him.

“There is this marvelous invention called a wand, and you can use it to perform cooling spells.”

Rather than follow his suggestion, she continued to fan her shirt in the hope that it would irritate him. She fanned a little too vigorously and the next button in line popped off.

“Crap,” she muttered. The button rolled toward Draco. She leaned over to grab it. A simple sewing spell secured the button back in its spot and closed her blouse. During the short time it took her to fix the situation, she felt Draco glaring. She waited for some cutting remark.

He continued to radiate annoyance, but said nothing. Ginny finished scanning the last book in her pile and rubbed her eyes. She re-shelved the books and stood. “I think I’m done.”

Draco closed the book he was holding and returned it to the shelf. “The correct term is finished. Food is done. People finish.”

She crossed her arms over her chest. “You sound like Hermione.”

His mouth dropped open. “I do not.”

Enjoying his discomfort, she poked his shoulder. “Yes, you do.”

He scowled. “Fine. If I sound like Granger, then you act like Pansy.”

“What? I don’t act anything like her.”

“Really?” He put his finger to his chin like he was thinking. “Then why do I know that your bra is embroidered with flowers?”

“My button popped off.” She stomped her foot. “It was an accident.”

He snorted.

A spark went off in her brain. “Pansy was practically laying on top of you at dinner tonight. You weren’t exactly fighting her off.”

He reached to toy with a piece of her hair. “Do I detect a note of jealousy?”

Her heartbeat kicked up a notch. “As you said earlier, ‘just because I don’t want you doesn’t mean you’re not mine.’

“We both know you’re lying.” He trailed his fingers along her jawline. “You want me. You’ve wanted me since you hexed me into the lake.”

Damn him. He was right. “Fine. The Felix Felicis made me see that you’re a handsome prat rather than just a prat.” She grinned as his nostrils flared. “After you drank the rest of my potion you saw me in a different light too. So, don’t get all high and mighty with me, we’re on even ground.”

Something flashed in his eyes. His hand slid behind her neck and he leaned down to whisper in her ear. “We are not on even ground.”

She had to focus on keeping her hands by her sides. His warm breath on her ear made her want to tangle her hands in his hair. This was not her Draco.

He moved his lips to her neck. Heat shimmered through her body as his hot mouth nipped at her pulse points. She did her best to appear unaffected.

Apparently her body didn’t care that this wasn’t her Draco. Bloody hell, he was doing that thing to her ear. She clenched her fists and bit back a moan.

“You want me more than I want you,” he whispered.

That hacked her off. She leaned into his body and rolled her hips against his. “Either you’re toting around a bottle of butterbeer in your pants, or you’re a liar.”

Too late, she realized she’d just thrown down a gauntlet. His mouth crashed down on hers. She stood her ground and kissed him back. Heat flared between them. Her hands wound through the hair at the base of his neck. His arm snaked around her waist and pulled her closer.

Damn it all to hell, if she didn’t want to snog him senseless.

This was wrong.

He didn’t even like her.

She pushed at his chest. “Stop.”

He loosened his hold and ran his fingers through her hair. “What’s wrong?”

“Everything. Everything is wrong.” Her eyes grew hot. “You hate me.”

“Maybe I don’t hate you.”

Her breath caught. Hope fluttered in her chest. “Does that mean you like me?”

“I like your hair.”

It was a start. She leaned against his chest, tucking her head under his chin. He allowed her to stay for a moment before he stepped away.

“It’s late.” His voice turned hard. “Do you have one of your ‘friends’ waiting to escort you and keep you safe?”

“No. I planned to ask someone here to walk me back.” She took a leap of faith. “You could walk me back.”

He snorted. “Wouldn’t that defeat the point?”

She pretended to be fascinated with the floor. If she looked at him, she couldn’t say this. “Do you remember what it was like before your father changed you?”

“It’s foggy, like a dream.”

Meeting his gaze, she asked, “Were you happier then?”

Something flickered in his eyes. “I remember flying.”

She’d hoped he’d remember something about his feelings for her. Maybe that was enough for one night. She reached for his hand. “Walk me back?”

He tilted his head and studied her. “I’ll walk you back on one condition.”

“What do you want?” Was he setting her up for a fall?

“If we’re to be stuck together, for however short a time, I want you to represent yourself in a more appropriate manner.”

She dropped his hand. “What the hell does that mean?”

His eyes scanned up and down her body. “If we’re going to be seen together in public, you’ll need better clothes.”

His comment smacked her across the face. Barely holding it together, she pushed past him and ran back to her common room. She stormed past her housemates and made it up to her bedroom before she gave into the angry tears.

She’d been stupid to think he cared. All he liked was her hair.
Chapter 12 by CCC
Ginny pushed herself out of bed and stared at her reflection in the mirror.

Ignoring her red eyes, she examined her clothes. Were they that bad? She’d never paid much attention to her clothes. It wasn’t like she had many options. She wore what her mum bought. Her parents bought what they could afford.

She couldn’t fault them for that.

Her mum had promised to send her a new skirt. One new skirt wouldn’t bring her up to Malfoy standards.

If only she’d never dosed Malfoy with the twin’s Animagus potion. He never would have turned into the nice boy who’d stolen her heart.

She could have continued hating him.

Things would’ve continued the way they should have.

What options did she have now?

She reached for her hairbrush and brushed out the days tangles. If only she could unravel the complicated knots of her life as easily.

Picking up her wand, she charmed her hair blond. When she was younger she’d longed for blond hair. The color just didn’t work on her. She tried a variation on the spell and charmed her hair a glossy brown.

Brown worked.

It just wasn’t her. She was a Weasley after all. Weasleys had red hair.

She charmed her hair back to it’s appropriate color and pondered whether she was brave enough to shave her head and send Malfoy the hair he loved so much in the morning post.

That might be taking things a bit too far.

A tapping on the bedroom window made her jump. She turned to find an unfamiliar owl perched on the window ledge. He carried a small box.

It was odd for post to come at night. Maybe her mum had sent the skirt special delivery.

After giving the owl a treat, she placed the box on her bed. A quick examination showed no return address or label of any kind.

When she pried the lid open, she saw Gryffindor colors. The fabric she picked up proved to be a skirt. It appeared to be brand new. Ginny shucked off her pajama bottoms and stepped into the skirt. It hung down past her knees, and somehow managed to accentuate her calves.

She twirled in front of the mirror. Malfoy wouldn’t think much of her new skirt, but it made her feel better. She turned back to the box expecting to find a note.

Inside the box lay another skirt.

Ginny pulled the second skirt out, and a third and a fourth. The box must be charmed to hold far more than it should be able to. Under the skirt she found five blouses, three ties, six pair of socks, and two pairs of shoes.

Where had her parent’s gotten the money for this?

She lifted out a piece of the tissue paper lining the box and found a green envelope.

Crap.

With a feeling of trepidation, she opened the letter.

‘Perhaps you should wait for someone to finish a conversation before running from the room. My mother had offered to purchase you appropriate clothing, and I was merely repeating her message.

If you would like to spend time with me, wear these.

If you choose not to wear them, I’ll sit next to Pansy at breakfast.

Regards,

Draco

P.S. I halfway expect to receive your hair in the post tomorrow.’


Ginny stared at the note. The tone was somewhere between insulting and teasing. On the one hand, he’d given her beautiful clothes. On the other hand, he wouldn’t be seen with her unless she wore them.

She desperately wanted to wear the beautiful new clothes.

Would that be giving in to him?

Was the boy she liked starting to surface? There had been a few moments in the library where affection seemed to be mixed in with the lust.

Merlin help her, she had no idea if she should trust him.

She folded the clothes and placed them in her trunk. The box she would keep under her bed. It might be useful to hide gifts from the twins. Out of curiosity, she tried to see how far she could stick her arm into the shallow space. Her hand encountered something soft under the remaining sheet of tissue paper.

When she moved the paper aside, she found new knickers.

A blush crept up her face as she lifted out the white garments edged in lace. She prayed that Draco hadn’t been involved in their purchase. She chose to believe the flowers embroidered on the bras were just a coincidence.

***

The next morning, Ginny dressed quickly and set out to find Hermione. Odds were she’d find her friend downstairs on the couches studying.

Hermione looked up at the sound of Ginny’s footsteps. “Why do you look guilty?”

She felt her cheeks heat up. “Notice anything different about me?”

“Those are new clothes.” Hermione set her book down. “Did the twins send them?”

Ginny shook her head. “No. Last night, Draco said-”

Hermione slammed her book. “I thought you were going to avoid him.”

“I went to the library last night to look into breaking the bond. He was there as well. We called a truce-”

“How long did that last?”

“If you’d stop interrupting me I could tell you,” Ginny snapped.

Hermione held her hands up in a sign of surrender.

Ginny joined her on the couch. “Anyway. We were civil for a while. Then we argued. Then he kissed me.”

Hermione frowned. “You do realize, ‘we argued and then he kissed me’ makes no sense at all.”

“It wasn’t like he insulted me and I threw my knickers at his head.”

Hermione shot her a pleading look. “Please tell me you kept your knickers on.”

“Of course I did. Like I said, we kissed. He even sort of let me hug him.”

“How generous of him.”

Ginny placed her hand over Hermione’s mouth. “Shut it. I need your help and you’re just brassing me off.”

Hermione rolled her eyes.

After dropping her hand, Ginny continued her story. “I asked if he’d walk me back from the library. He said I had to wear better clothes if I wanted to be seen with him. I left. Half an hour later I received a box of new clothes and a note from Draco that was almost nice.”

Hermione raised a brow. “Can I talk now?”

Ginny nodded.

“You misunderstood his offer to buy you a new wardrobe because he was being a condescending git?”

She nodded again.

“He was sort of nice in his note? What does that mean?”

“He teased me a bit by threatening to sit with Pansy if I didn’t wear the clothes.”

“You feel guilty because you want to wear the clothes but don’t know if you should because the intention behind the gift wasn’t to make you happy but rather to raise you up to his obnoxious Malfoy standards.”

“Exactly. But there’s more. I don’t think he would have sent me the clothes if he didn’t want me to spend time with him. Are the clothes a controlling way for him to say he wants my company?”

“Divination was never my best subject,” Hermione quipped.

“Use your talent for logic instead and tell me, what should I do?”

“If it was me, I’d keep the clothes and get rid of him.” Hermione picked up a book and placed it in her bookbag. “Since it’s not me, all I can do is advise that you be careful. There may be shades of your nice Draco in this Draco, but there is also a lot of Lucius in there.”

“That is a disturbing thought.” Ginny sighed. “I want to believe that my Draco is fighting to get out.”

“He could be.”

“So, how are things going with my brother?”

Hermione grinned. “Things are great.”

Ignoring the pang of jealousy in her gut, she tried to be a good friend. “I’m happy for you. Are you waiting to walk to breakfast with Ron?”

“He should be down in twenty minutes. You can walk with us if you like.”

Students were drifting down the steps in twos and threes. “I’ll go on ahead. You and Ron can make your grand debut as a couple without a third wheel.”

“Thank you for putting it in those terms. Now I’m worried I’ll fall down on the way to our table.”

“If you fell, Ron would catch you.” Ginny knew this to be true. If she fell, she wasn’t sure the same could be said of Draco.

Ginny walked into the Great Hall with Lavender and Seamus by her side. She sat facing the Slytherin table. Draco made eye contact with her and nodded. She rolled her eyes and concentrated on buttering her toast.

Pansy entered the Great Hall drawing attention with her over abundance of cleavage and her come hither walk. The bint was headed straight for Draco.

In a move that seemed completely unplanned, Draco placed his bookbag on the seat next to him and began to sort through his belongings. Pansy sat on the other side of the bag batting her eyes at him.

Ginny felt her blood pressure spike.

Millicent walked up to the table, and Draco removed his bag. Millicent dropped into the empty space before Pansy could make her move.

Ginny released the death grip she’d had on her juice glass.

Had Draco planned that with Millicent, or had it been good timing on the large girl’s part?

“Hey, Gin. How was your trip to the library last night?” Harry asked as he sat next to her.

“It turned out better than I expected.” She passed him the butter before he could ask for it. “Thanks for walking me there.”

Harry took the butter plate and stared. “You look nice. Are those new clothes?”

“Thank you. They are.”

Harry pushed his glasses up on his nose. “Were they a gift, or an apology?”

Ginny sipped her juice while she contemplated his question. “I’m not sure. Draco and his parents offered to by me new school uniforms because mine weren’t up to their standards.”

“Nice.”

“Yeah, but here’s where it gets sticky. He said he wouldn’t spend time with me unless I wore nicer clothes. The fact that he gave me nicer clothes leads me to believe that he wants to spend time with me.”

Harry nodded. “That and the fact that he groped you in the library last night.”

“What?” Ginny dropped her fork.

Harry chuckled. “Ginevra Weasley, what would your mum say?”

“You were guessing?”

He nodded. “You fell into my trap.”

She poked him with her fork. “Git.”

Hermione and Ron joined them. “Try your interrogation trick on them,” Ginny suggested.

Harry cringed. “No thank you. I do my best not to think about them.”

Ginny realized she was having a nice morning. She looked over at Draco and saw a less than friendly expression on his face. His eyes flicked to Harry and then back to her. He raised his eyebrows in a questioning manner.

She rolled her eyes at Harry and then grinned at Draco. His glare lessened.

When she finished her food, she exited the Great Hall, hoping Draco would come and find her. Not wanting to look too obvious, she stood off to the side of the hall and pretended to search through her bookbag.

A throat being cleared caused her to look up. While Draco didn’t appear warm and loving he did seem amused.

“I like how you handled Pansy this morning,” she told him.

He nodded. “I upheld my part of the bargain.”

She expected him to say she looked nice.

He didn’t.

Feeling obligated, she said, “Thank you for the clothes.”

He surprised her by reaching for her hand. “Walk with me.”

She was at a loss for conversation, so she kept quiet.

When they reached an alcove with a bench, he sat down and released her hand. She joined him on the bench.

“Why did you give me these clothes?”

He frowned. “I told you. If we are to spend time together you needed to dress appropriately.”

“In other words you gave them to me because you want to spend time with me.”

“I don’t like the way that sounds,” Draco reached to play with her hair.

“You don’t hate me.”

“I do. Sometimes. Not all of the time.” He wrapped a lock of her hair around his finger. “Sometimes I like to be near you.”

Sorry she’d asked, Ginny said, “I considered sending my hair to you in a box.”

He snorted. “That would qualify as cutting off your nose to spite your face. Although I suppose it would be cutting off your hair to spite your mate.”

After the words left Draco’s mouth, he blinked. “That came out wrong.”

“I don’t believe it did,” Ginny grinned.

He dropped her hair. “Don’t read too much into poor word choice. When we figure out a way to break this bond it will be back to life as usual. Malfoys and Weasleys will go back to hating each other.” He smirked at her. “All will be right with the world.”

Irked, she stood and picked up her bookbag. “If you really hated me, you wouldn’t have given me these clothes. In fact, giving me these clothes signifies that you want to spend time with me.”

“No it doesn’t.” His face flushed.

She grinned. “I’m pretty sure it does.”

He jumped to his feet. “It does not.”

Enjoying herself immensely, Ginny batted her eyelashes at him. “Does too.”

He pointed his finger at her, but seemed unable to put his thoughts into words.

She reached out and took his hand. “I know. It was a shock to me at first to.” Moving closer, she stood on tiptoe and whispered. “We’re good together.” She pressed her lips against his cheek and left Malfoy, speechless and red-faced, in her wake.
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=6387