Looking for Peace by kinema
Summary: Post-War. The Weasleys and the rest of the Wizarding World is falling apart and only Manic!Ginny is left to save them!
Warning: Contains Slightly Insane and Neurotic Post-War Possibilities
Categories: Works in Progress Characters: Arthur Weasley, Draco Malfoy, Ginny Weasley, Molly Weasley, Ron Weasley
Compliant with: All but epilogue
Era: Hogwarts-era
Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1404 Read: 1688 Published: Jan 12, 2012 Updated: Jan 13, 2012

1. CHAPTER 1 : Because There’s Always a Library Scene by kinema

CHAPTER 1 : Because There’s Always a Library Scene by kinema
Author's Notes:
A light-hearted introduction to what will eventually become a deeper exploration of the subtle repercussions of war.
Plot Summary: Post-War. The Weasleys and the rest of the Wizarding World is falling apart and only Manic!Ginny is left to save them!
Warning: Contains Slightly Insane and Neurotic Post-War Possibilities
Genre: Humor/Drama/Romance/Family

A/N: Ye gods. My first attempt at D/G fanfiction, despite the fact I have been around for so long. Still can’t find a Beta Reader though. D: Anyone want to volunteer? Read and Review, pleases and thanks yous!
Disclaimer: My black, puny, little heart wishes I owned it all.



CHAPTER 1: Because There’s Always a Library Scene



Ginny Weasley lets her hands slump to her side and her head fall onto the desk. The dull thump echoes in the near-empty library, but the drumbeat of her headache muffles the surprisingly loud sound. She sighs deeply.

Breathes in. Lets the air out slowly and forcefully. Watches the bits of parchment on the table ruffle in the light breeze.

She thumps her head on the parchment a second time. Then, a third. And again, this time in rhythm with the pounding in her head. And again. Soon, she has a steady rhythm going.

She abruptly stops the self-inflicted abuse. Oh. My. Goblin. A brilliant thought occurs to her. I’m a witch, aren’t I? WHY HAVEN’T I THOUGHT OF THIS BEFORE?? Maybe those Muggle theories of osmosis apply to the magical community!! She resumes the head thumping with vigor, on rolls of parchment and books within headdesk-reach.

Loose sheaves of parchment fall on the floor, but Ginny is too busy trying to concentrate and telepathically absorb information from the thick tome of Advanced Defensive and Counter Charms. She narrows her eyes and grabs the book. Pulling it open to a middle section with both hands, AHA!!!, she twists and pushes her head forcefully into it.

“What. The skrewt. Are you doing?”

Ginny freezes, feeling her eye twitch. A tiny vein pulses on her forehead.

+++++

It was a faintly amusing sight, seeing Ginny Weasley slam her head into random bits of books and parchment. He always knew that the Weasley line had a tendency towards psychotic behavior. Such a shame for that noble Prewett blood.

It was only when she started trying to poke a hole using her head through Advanced Defensive and Counter Charms, that Draco got really concerned. Goddamn it, he needed that book, and the other copies were already checked out. He stood with a resigned sigh and walked over to her table.

“What. The skrewt. Are you doing?”

Weasley froze, eyes bulging comically. It was quite a sight really, enough material for decades of hallway taunting and backtalk. She was bent over the table at an awkward angle, muttering to herself and holding a foot-thick book to her head, her bright red hair sticking out from beneath the horribly bright purple cover.

She cautiously peered at him, still unmoving. “Oh, thank Merlin,” she said, visibly relaxing. “It’s just you, Malfoy.”

He raised a perfectly shaped eyebrow at her, trying his best not to be offended.

She grinned, “I’d have been done for if it were Pince.”

“Ten points from Gryffindor. And give me that damned book before you do any more damage to it.”

“Oh, COME ON!!! I was just trying to –" And she proceeded to ramble on about something she learned from Muggle Studies called 'osomisos' or something of the sort.

Draco zoned out, studying his hands. He really ought to get a manicure later.

“And BESIDES, you just need it for YOUR paper or McGonagall will KILL you but *I* got it first. So, THERE.” And promptly stuck her tongue out at him.

He lazily raised an eyebrow. “You do realize that I am right, and YOU are wrong? And that if I, the HEADBOY, were to call *MADAM* Pince right now, YOU would be in a lot more trouble than losing ten points?” He watched her face darken with his words.

“Yeah, go on and run to Pince, Malfoy. That’s so typical of you!” She paused to rub her nose. “What a rat. Except Crabbe and Goyle aren’t around anymore are they? Or your father, for that matte—” She trailed off at the last few words, perhaps realizing what she had just said. She looked up at him with wide eyes full of regret, searching his face. “Malfoy. Fucking. I-I didn’t m–"

Draco cast a non-verbal Silencing spell at her. “This is a library. Shut your damned trap.”

+++++

Oh. Well… Hmmm. That was impressive. His non-verbals were nearly as flawless as Hermione’s. I really ought to practice th – DAMN THAT’S ITCHY. Ugh, how in Merlin’s name does one – OHHHhhh aaahhh. Mmmmm. That’s better. Mmmm.

Ginny lets out a small smile and starts to go back to work.

This is not bad. Not bad at all, Ginny. You can study without cramming, after all. Imagine THAT! It doesn’t matter that it’s nearly Christmas and you have a shitload to do! You can do this all before tomorrow, what are you talking about! Ginny, you’re so great. OH HECK YEAH.

She starts to whistle. Nothing comes out. Ginny stands up in shock, and whirls around to glare at him.

DAMN THAT MALFOY. I can’t believe he cast a Silencing spell on me. I wonder if that’s legal? Probably, she narrows her eyes. Pince *adores* him. I wonder where Hermione is…. What do I do now? I can’t study without whistling! That’s unheard of. I can’t do anything without, without TALKING.

I’m going to die mute. And it will be Malfoy’s fault. And mum will weep and say, Oh Ginny, Why did you have to be so noisy. Now who’s going to clean up your room??? PERCY, DON’T YOU DARE GO IN MY ROOM!!! FUCKER, WHY IS IT SO NOISY IN MY HEAD?

Her heart speeds up to match the pounding in her head, though the beats are distractingly unsynchronized.

I-I’m not panicking. I just, I just need – UGH, FOCUS GINNY, FOCUS. JUST NEED. Not to panic. MALFOY TO LIFT SPELL. Walk, dammit, walk.

She taps him on the shoulder, outwardly calm and grinning, giving no hint to the panic fighting to burst from her. She gesticulates exaggeratedly to herself, mimes talking.

Draco doesn’t even bat an eyelash.

GET HIS ATTENTION, DAMMIT. SPILL INK ON PARCHMENT, SHRED BOOKS TO PIECES. FLASH HIM. Ginny grips the table tightly, feeling fainter by the second. Flash him? ...YES, HE’S A BOY.

Ginny narrows her eyes at him. What does a Malfoy want? She hurries back to her desk, grabs a book and lugs it back over to his table with a thunk. Malfoy spares a look at the book title and says, “I’m glad you learned your lesson, Weasley. A bit slow, but to be expected from the likes of you, really.”

Then he finally – FINALLY – lifts the spell and reaches for the book. Advanced Defensive and Counter Charms. Ginny puts a heavy hand on the book, and his eyes snap to her.

“I’m not giving it to you,” she says, watching his eyes darken dangerously. “But we can share.”

“I am NOT –“

“I’m pretty sure that while *I* am not allowed to deface school property, *YOU* are certainly not allowed the privilege, even as HEADBOY, to cast spells in the library.”

“Wow. That’s excellent. You sounded completely like Granger there.”

“Thank you, I do try.” Ginny summons her work over to the table, and a huge mess of quills, parchment, ink pots and books comes flying to them. Draco dodges with all the agility of a true Seeker. Some of the objects seem particularly keen in being summoned by way of his head.

“That is, if Granger was a Slytherin… Even then, maybe not.” He was cornered, the paper was due before the hols. “Gryffindor Capable of Blackmail,” he mutters. “I just know it’s going to make front page on the Prophet tomorrow.” Draco sighs resignedly. “Just, none of that ridiculous behavior anymore, Red. I won’t stand for it.”

Ginny looks at him, a bit surprised at his sudden agreeable behavior. She studies him for a bit and snorts as he feels her eyes on him and sticks out his tongue at her. Malfoy, agreeable? She tries to fight a small mischievous smile. Impossible.





Review?
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=7254