Chapter Four
She's Wonderful


Draco Malfoy loved being a prefect. Yes, he loved the special priviledges, recommending that the Gryffindors get points taken away, and having an excuse for late night visits to the Astronomy Tower, but that was before Ginny Weasley. Now, it was the fact could protect her, and he wasn't bothered by the other Slytherins about it either. You see, that was another perk to being a prefect. You get your own room.

Draco didn't understand what had gone on today. He had become attracted to a Weasley, and actually had a civil conversation with her. Of course, his mind had been contemplating his actions all day. He seemed to have no control when it came to her.

When he'd first seen her at King's Cross this morning, he hadn't recognized her. She was no longer the gawky and shy Weaslette. Oh no, her body fit her nicely. He had expected Potter to be helping her with her trunks, but he hadn't shown. When Draco had found out why, when he saw the sadness in her eyes, he wanted to kill that stupid git. Well who's laughing now? Draco asked himself.

As the day progressed, Ginny had turned into his weakness. It all happened so fast! Inside, Draco was cursing himself for helping her, but he knew from that split-second kiss that to turn his back on her now would be near suicide. He didn't love her, but considering he held her welfare above his own... For Draco Malfoy, that saying a lot.

She'll destroy me in the end, and I'll let her do it, he thought to himself. He must never tell his father about him even CONSIDERING friendship with a Weasley. There was so much more to it than that, though. Just ask Dumbledore, he thought to himself.

:***:

"Malfoy!"

"Yes, Potter? What can I help you with?" Draco asked, waiting outside the Potions classroom.

"What do you want with Ginny?" Harry asked through clenched teeth.

"Well, I should say that that is none of your business, seeing as you're the maker of Ginny's unhappiness." Draco answered simply.

"Leave her alone," Harry threatened.

"Can't. I make her smile," Draco said as the door to the Potion classroom opened.

***

"So I understand that progress has been made, Mr. Malfoy? Does your father expect you to be coming home this winter?" Dumbledore questioned.

"No, I told him what you said. I told him that Sn- Professor Snape wanted me to help him with the remedial Potion class that will be staying in the castle over the holidays. He wasn't too happy about it, and I did receive a few permanant scars from it, but he still agreed." Draco explained.

"And what of Miss Weasley?" the Headmaster inquired, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, Professor, I told you I'd protect her. I have my eyes on her, but Potter has his eyes on me. It's a little difficult to make sure Riddle doesn't get to her if they remain so protecting."

"Mr. Potter and his friends must know nothing of your involvement in the Order, Mr. Malfoy, as I've told you many times. It puts too many at risk. It's understandable for Harry to be so protective. If I am correct, she was his girlfriend over the summer, but just as I suspected, Mr. Potter didn't want to put her at risk to the problems his life could present." Dumbledore saw the young Slytherin's jaw tighten. His wise eyes saw a boy going against his whole world to keep others safe. Draco Malfoy wouldn't always be an unsung hero, "But you must not let Mr. Potter know that you have switched sides. I cannot stress that enough!"

"And what about Ginny? Do I just let her believe that I'm a Death Eater in training? I'm sorry Proffesor, but from today's events, that won't last long at all."

"Mr. Malfoy, patience! Miss Weasley will know in time," Dumbledore knew it was going to be difficult. He'd seen the way the young Slytherin looked at the youngest Weasley.

"I'm trying Professor," Draco promised.

"Put you best effort into it, and things will go as planned. I have faith in you. You may go. I'm sure your exhausted." Dumbledore said, showing Draco to the door.

***

Sleep would not come, no matter how high he counted the damned sheep. Draco kept thinking about his meeting with the Headmaster. He'd gone to him the previous year, accompanied by Snape, and explained his situation. Dumbledore suggested that he join The Order of the Phoenix. Dumbledore would buy Draco some time to get his life in order before he gave it all away to the Dark Lord. He was very grateful, and so far, things were going well enough. His meeting tonight was to discuss his earliest mission, as known as Flame Demon. He had gotten the details about Ginny Weasley from the headmaster before summer holidays. He was supposed to protect her at all cost, but the Dream Team wasn't to know until Dumbledore thought it was the right time. Ginny couldn't know in case her demon posessed her mind. Riddle could blow it all, Draco knew that, but he didn't like lying to her.

He finally felt his eyelids droop, and the last thing he remembered thinking before falling into a dreamless sleep was she's not just a mission, she's wonderful.
To Be Continued.
dracos_beauty927 is the author of 3 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Overshadowed also liked 90 other stories.
Leave a Review