Blaise Zabini looked up from Quidditch Weekly when he heard the soft whoosh come from the fireplace. In the once empty flames Ginny now stood. "Gin, what're you doing here?"

She stepped from the fireplace and dusted at her robes. "I needed to speak with you."

He stood and went to the wet bar, wetting a cloth hanging on the rack and took it to her. "Don't you know it's a lot cleaner to Apparate?"

"Yes, I know." Ginny took the cloth from him and wiped at her face and hands. "But I've always preferred to Floo."

The black-haired man smiled faintly. "I remember." Blaise reclaimed his seat by the light and motioned her towards the identical arm charm across from it. "What brings you by?"

Ginny continued to wipe at her nails until she removed all the dirt and soot from her fingers, and then deposited the cloth on the round table between their chairs. "I've decided it's time for us to return to Malfoy Manor."

He almost choked on his brandy. "Wh-what?"

"Cera, Seth, and I will be returning to Malfoy Manor." She stood, having too much nervous energy to sit down. Ginny knew he wouldn't like the idea, but ultimately she knew it was her choice. "My children are the heirs to the Malfoy line, Blaise, and they need to know their heritage."

"But what of the danger, Gin? Is it really worth putting them in danger?"

Ginny stopped when she reached the window, and parted the drapes to look outside. The Zabini Estate was almost as massive as the Malfoy's, and they had some of the most beautiful land in all of Britain. She sighed deeply before answering. "It's their right, Blaise. You won't talk me out of it, but I have some ideas if you want to hear them."

He thought about joining her at the window, but decided she needed her space. Blaise took another sip of the brandy and nodded at her. "Go on."

She looked out the window once more. "I plan to make it as a public as possible. One of my old housemates, Colin Creevey, is a reporter for Witch Weekly. I refused an interview after Draco's disappearance, but he told me whenever I was ready to talk, I could. I think I'm ready."

"Are you sure? Do you really want to put them through that?"

Ginny turned to face him then, her face etched with worry. "Do I want to put them through that?" she repeated. "No, I don't. London is not our home, Blaise. I know it's safe, but I can't breathe there."

"You could stay here," he offered.

Immediately she shook her head no. "I can't. Malfoy Manor is our home. It's the only place I would consider taking them. Thank you for your offer, though."

He nodded once before resuming his reading in the Quidditch magazine. Ginny stood at the window, studying the horizon and the landscape for sometime before she turned to him. "You'll help me move?"

"Of course." Blaise looked up from the magazine again. "You know I'll do anything for you. It's been like that since sixth year."

The corner of her mouth quirked up in a smile. "Yes, but things have changed since then, haven't they?"

"Well, you did casually marry my best friend."

Ginny's smile brightened and she went back to the chair. She seated herself and turned to study him. "It was never serious between us, Blaise."

"For awhile, I thought it might have been," he admitted. Blaise could still remember the shock of the sixteen-year-old boy he'd been when Ginny had walked into the Great Hall on his best friend's arm. It hadn't mattered at that moment that their parting had been mutual. "I could never figure out a way to make you happy, though."

"You made me happy," Ginny told him honestly. "But what we were… it was never enough. Not for either of us."

"We were both rebounding," Blaise agreed. "You from Potter and I had just ended things with Amelia Scott. Hmmm, that's someone I haven't thought of in a long time. I wonder what happened to her?"

"You mean you're little Ravenclaw girlfriend?" Ginny questioned.

He nodded. "You remember her?"

"Well, I'm sure the whole school remembers the two of you snogging relentlessly in the hallways."

His cheeks colored and he laughed softly. "You sound a bit jealous, Gin-bean."

"Not jealous," she corrected, "Just… well, it was rather something you would remember."

"And then you befriended Draco and none of the rest of us had a chance."

"You make it sound like every boy in the school wanted me."

Blaise took another sip of his brandy and shook his head. "You never knew how beautiful you were, did you? Of course every boy in the school wanted you, with the exception of your brother. But I knew from the very moment I saw the two of you together that it was how it was meant to be."

"How did you know?" Ginny asked softly. She gently slipped two fingers of her left hand over her right ring finger and pulled the engagement ring off. Ginny could still remember the exact moment Draco had slid it into its resting place.

"He made you laugh," Blaise answered simply. "He was protective of you, no matter what it cost him. I knew he loved you when he defied his father. He was also incredibly stupid, as well."

"Draco was never incredibly stupid," Ginny defended her missing husband. "Although, he did have moments when I questioned his sanity."

"Yours was a love that everyone wanted. Every girl wanted what you had, and every boy envied Draco because he had you. His entire time at Hogwarts he made out like he was so much higher and more advantaged than everyone. In most cases he was. But when he managed to get you to fall in love with him… well, to use a Muggle term, he hit the jackpot."

Ginny laughed softly. "So you don't hate me for loving him?"

"No." Her friend sat quietly for a moment before he said, "But I do sometimes wonder at your sanity for loving him."

That made her laugh harder.

Sometime later when she was leaving, Ginny turned back to Blaise and smiled. "Thank you for tonight."

"What're friends for?"

She shrugged. "Anyone else would think I was crazy for believing him to be alive. Neither of us has seen any proof for seven years, and I still… I still believe."

Blaise stood and went to her then. He wrapped her small body in his arms and hugged her tightly. When he pulled back, Blaise wasn't surprised to find her eyes shining with tears. "You knew him better than anyone, Gin. The two of you… you were the definition of love. Of course you would know if he were still alive. What would you say to looking for him again once you're settled at Malfoy Manor?"

Ginny nodded, some of the tears slipping down her face. "I'd like that. He's out there somewhere, Blaise… he's waiting for us to come and find him."

He kissed her gently on the forehead before he backed away. "I know. And we will."

She turned from him again and tossed the handful of Floo powder into the fire. "Home," she said clearly. A moment later she was gone.

Blaise drained the rest of his brandy in one swallow before gently sitting the snifter on the mantle. He would find Draco for her if it was the last thing he ever did.

***


Ginny fastened her traveling cloak in place and looked herself over in the mirror. She could see Cera and Seth sitting on her bed behind her. "No need to frown so, I'll be home soon."

"Where're you going, Mum?" Seth asked.

"I'm going to talk to an old friend of mine."

"Uncle Blaise?"

When the children became old enough to question Blaise's position in their life, she'd told them he was like a brother to their father. They'd taken the explanation and started calling him 'uncle' on their own. "No, Mum's going to visit her friend Colin."

"Who's he?"

Ginny smiled at them again in the mirror. "A friend from Mum's time at Hogwarts."

"Did he know Dad?"

Their mother nodded. "He did."

They exchanged glances and smiled. "Can we come?" both children asked at once.

"No, not this time." Ginny turned to face them, taking in their dusty clothes and wrinkled robes. "I need you to stay here and help pack."

Seth frowned suddenly. "Why do we have to move?"

"Because this isn't your home, Seth. One day, you and Cera both will understand what being a Malfoy means. Part of that is living in Malfoy Manor. It's a great big house, with a great big yard that you can play in. It's where your Dad grew up. I want you to both be proud of who you are, and who your father is, so I think it's time we return to Malfoy Manor."

Both children nodded, whether they understood or not. They both heard their Mum cry at night when she thought they were sleeping. They understood that she missed their Dad, but didn't understand where he was. "If it's what you want, Mum," Cera answered.

Ginny smiled warmly at both of them. She went forward and wrapped her arms around them both. "It is, more than anything."

"Then we'll stay here and help Cynthia pack."

"Blaise should be by in a little bit," Ginny told them. "I'm sure he'll have some kind of present for you."

They both smiled at that. "You'll be back to tell us a story?" Seth asked.

Ginny nodded. "Have I ever missed a bedtime story? By the way, what'll be tonight?"

"You're wedding."

"I told you about my wedding last night."

The twins shook their head in disagreement. "You told us about Uncle Ron beating Dad up. We want to know about your wedding."

Their mother raised her hands in mock defeat. "Okay, I'll tell you the story of our wedding tonight before bed. But you two have to promise not to fall asleep."

"We promise," Cera said for both of them.

"Okay, then I'll see you later?" Both children nodded. "Be good for Cynthia. No tricks and hiding. Help her, okay?"

"Yes, Mum," they both answered.

"Okay." Ginny picked up her wand and thought about the offices where she agreed to meet Colin. Cera and Seth were startled by the sound of her apparating, but amazed just the same that she'd disappeared right in front of their eyes.

Cera stood and Seth followed, each of them exiting their mother's bedroom. "C'mon," the girl told her brother, "let's go find Cynthia and see if we can help."

***


Ginny sat in the waiting room of the magazine for nearly twenty minutes, trying to ignore the whispers behind hands and looks she was receiving. No, she hadn't been very public in the last few years, but it didn't give the whole wizarding world the right to be rude when she went out somewhere.

When Colin's secretary called for her, Ginny sighed in relief. "Finally," she said under her breath.

He was sitting in a large, black leather chair behind an equally large oak desk with a window view. Colin Creevey stood when she came inside and smiled widely. "Ginny."

She returned his smile with one of her own. "Colin. How have you been?"

The reporter nodded. "I've been fine. I was surprised to receive your owl. How are you?"

"I'm doing well." She sat in the black leather chair across from him. "Thank you for meeting me."

"Of course." Colin reclaimed his seat. "Again, I was surprised to receive your owl. What made you change your mind about the interview?"

Ginny looked down at her hands, unsure of how to tell him. Was she really ready for the whole world to know how she felt about her life now? Would they think she was insane for believing Draco to be alive after all of this time? What happened next, she wondered. "My children and I will be returning to Malfoy Manor soon. I've talked it over with my friends… and we feel the safest option is to let the wizarding world know my reasons."

"And you choose me."

She leaned forward, resting her chin on her hands. "You were a good friend to me in Hogwarts, Colin. And you understood why I couldn't talk after Draco's disappearance… I promised you that if I were ever ready to talk, I would come to you. I'm not sure if I'm ready, but I know I have to."

He nodded, accepting her answer. "Okay." Colin selected a quill from a cup on his desk and his hand was soon perched above his parchment, waiting. "Whenever you're ready, Gin."

The redheaded woman smiled at him, thankful for his understanding. "It started ten years ago, when there was another you, and another me…"
Leave a Review