Hands



Ginny stared into the fire burning low in the parlor, resting in a comfortable leather chair, sipping hot chocolate and thinking about the evening she'd just spent with her close friends and sisters-in-law. They'd gathered for a baby shower at the Burrow, and after cake and presents, they had indulged in some serious girl-talk.

Ginny shifted in her seat and sat her empty mug on the antique table next to her. She summoned a chenille throw, closed her eyes, and thought back to the interesting conversation that they'd had earlier, when the laughter had begun to quiet down after a particularly funny story Fleur had told them.

It had been one about Bill and the first diaper change their son had suffered at his father's hands. The experience had ended with the diaper sliding off as Bill had held his son up by the arms to show her, and their son had given him quite a shower. Then Melodie, Charlie’s wife, had asked them what physical feature they thought had most attracted them to their spouse or boyfriend.

Ginny had suffered through listening to her sisters-in-law listing what they considered the many different attractive features of her brothers, and although she had smiled and laughed occasionally, she wasn’t sure how she could sit through a meal with them again without losing her lunch or laughing her head off.

When it had been Ginny’s turn to answer, she had excused herself to go use the loo, and simply told them as she'd looked back over her shoulder that 'wouldn’t they like to know'. When she'd come back out, her father had finally gotten home and the party was breaking up. So she was spared giving the answers that she knew they would have demanded from her had he not shown up when he did.

Smiling to herself, she knew exactly which feature on her husband held her fascination. She hadn’t shared because she thought that they would have thought her silly. Her husband was a very attractive man and had many features that drove women crazy. She should know because when they went out he never failed to draw numerous eyes. Had he not showered her with his time and affection she could very easily turn into a jealous shrew. But he treated her like a princess and she was secure in the love and attention that he heaped upon her.

Looking at the clock, she saw that it was just after nine p.m. and knew that the guys probably wouldn’t break up their little gathering for another hour or so. She poured herself another mug of cocoa from the pot next to her cup and returned to her musings.

The first thing most people noticed about her husband was his hair. It was such a unique shade of blonde. Most women would kill for that shade, and used copious amounts of hair lightening charms to obtain it, but not him. His hair color was as dominant in his family as red was in her own, and most people teased them, saying that any child of theirs would have pink hair with those two particular colors fighting for dominance. He didn’t wear his hair long like his father, and neither was it short, but that still wasn’t the feature that most attracted her to him.

The second thing that most people noticed about him was his eyes. They were such intense eyes, the most beautiful shade of silver/grey/blue, and one that she had only seen in the portraits that hung in the gallery of their home. He prided himself on his control and made people nervous because they could never read his face. But Ginny knew that if you truly wanted to get to know what he was thinking, you had to read his eyes. After four years of marriage, she knew what the changing color of his eyes meant. When he was happy they were light, a most beautiful shade of silverish-blue, when he was aroused and making love to her they were a darker, intense, grayish-blue, and when angry, they were as cold and grey as the darkest storm clouds. Those eyes had the ability to take her breath away, but neither were they the feature that had most attracted her.

There was no denying that her husband had a sexy body. He had topped out at 6’3” and had filled out the skinny frame that he’d had during school. Even after graduating, then fighting in the final war against his father and Voldemort, and finally settling into his role of running the family businesses after his father’s death, he still managed to keep himself physically fit. He worked out every day, and was known to join her on her morning run a couple of times a week if work permitted. Most weekends found him playing a pick-up game of Quidditch with family and friends, but even his six-pack abs and strong muscular arms were not the most attractive feature in her mind.

And that was what had made her hesitant to reveal her thoughts to her friends and family earlier. It was those things that they had all listed as their favorites, and she had felt that her answer might have seemed silly to them. What they didn’t know was that it was something she had pondered over before, and she had reached her conclusion one night long ago.
Leave a Review