Disclaimer: J. K. Rowling owns all things Harry Potter.

*****************

Coming Home


Chapter 8: Betrayal

Ginny awoke the next morning to find Remus looking at her anxiously.

"What? Why are you here? What's wrong?"

Remus wordlessly handed Ginny a copy of the Daily Prophet. She stared at it in shock. Most of the front page was taken up by a photograph. If she had seen it under any other circumstances, she would have thought it beautiful. But splattered across a newspaper, it made her stomach lurch.

The picture showed Ginny and Evan at Harry's grave. The hood of her cloak hid her face, but bits of red hair were sticking out, making her recognizable. Evan was in front of her, his hood down, staring at Harry's gravestone. She had her hand on his shoulder reassuringly. He looked as if he were about to cry. The headline read, "Did HARRY POTTER have a SON?"

Ginny looked at Remus and burst into tears. He held her for a few minutes as she cried on his shoulder. Then he pulled her chin up to look up at him. "What do you want to do?"

"The Burrow. I want my mum."

Twenty minutes later, Ginny sat in the kitchen of the Burrow, still in her pajamas, surrounded by Molly, Arthur, Fred, George, and Remus. Molly was bustling around, alternately cooking breakfast and hugging Ginny. Evan, who didn't really understand what was going on, had fallen asleep on the sofa in the sitting room. The Floo travel had cleared Ginny's mind somewhat.

"How did they find us? It seems odd that there would just happen to be a photographer in the cemetery at that time of day."

"Have you read the article, Gin?" asked Fred.

"No. Why?"

Remus answered her. "They know Evan's name. They know that he arrived last Thursday. It seems they knew that you would be in the cemetery yesterday."

Ginny was dumbstruck. "But how?"

"It seems that we have a leak," George responded.

"A leak? But who...? No one knew we were going to the cemetery yesterday. No one but the family and Draco..."

Fred and George exchanged a glance. Molly and Arthur looked confused. Ginny thought about what she just said, then growled out, "Oh! That bastard..." and Disapparated.

A moment later, she arrived just outside of Draco's door, which she started pounding on frantically. It was several minutes before she got a response.

Draco had obviously just gotten out of the shower. He was dripping wet and wearing nothing but a towel. He was also clearly angry to be disturbed this early in the morning. "What could be so important..." he snarled, then noticed who was at his door. "Ginny?" he asked in a softer voice. "What's wrong?"

"What's wrong?!!" she shouted, and slapped him firmly across his left cheek. "What's wrong?! You bastard! I trusted you and the first chance you get, you betray me. How could I have been such an idiot to think you had changed? I hope you get a good laugh out of making Evan's and my life hell!"

"Ginny, what do you mean?" he asked incredulously. But she didn't notice his confusion and Disapparated again.

When she arrived at the Burrow again, it took a while for Ginny's anger to subside. Molly forced her to drink some chamomile tea, which calmed her considerably. When she looked up, she was surprised to see Hermione there. But Hermione wasn't alone.

"Ron?" she asked, wondering if she was seeing things.

"Hello, Ginny," Ron said awkwardly. "I... I'm sorry I stayed away so long."

"Oh, Ron!" Ginny exclaimed, crossing the kitchen and enveloping him in a hug. "I'm sorry I left you to deal with everything on your own... I didn't mean to... I just couldn't stand the memories. And I was thinking of Evan."

"I know," Ron answered, still stiff in her arms. "Hermione told me. I... I saw Evan's picture this morning and I just had to come. I guess I couldn't stay angry anymore. And I want to know Evan. He looks so much like Harry..."

"He does, doesn't he?" Ginny said, smiling up at her brother. "I want you to know him, and he wants so much to know you. Will you forgive me for leaving?"

Ron held Ginny tighter and answered, "I will if you forgive me for staying away."

"There's nothing to forgive, Ron."

"Then I guess it is time to decide what we are going to do now." Ron said this to the assembled Weasleys.

"There does seem to be a leak," Hermione said carefully. She knew about Ginny and Draco's budding friendship. "And I know that Ginny has a theory about who it is, and as much as I would like to agree..."

Ginny snorted. "Already told the git off, I did," she muttered to herself.

"What git?" Ron asked, confused.

"Did he admit to it?" Hermione asked. Ginny reluctantly shook her head.

"Well, then, since there is no evidence," Hermione continued, "I think we need to investigate further. I have a friend who works at the Prophet. Maybe she can tell me about their sources." Fred, George, and Arthur nodded at this, and Hermione Disapparated.

"What git?" Ron asked again.

"I'll head to the Ministry," Arthur said, "and see if there is anything I can do to keep things quiet."

"Dad?" asked Ron before he went. "Could you tell Kingsley that I won't be in today? I think I'll stay here with Ginny and Evan." Ginny and Arthur both smiled at him before Arthur Disapparated.

Eventually, the remaining family realized there was nothing else to be done. Fred and George left for their shop, and Remus left for Hogwarts--he had to visit the Potions Master for his dose of Wolfsbane Potion.

Evan and Ron hit it off immediately. After lunch, Ron took Evan out to the orchard for his first flying lesson. Ginny was a bit nervous, but she remembered how natural a flier Harry had been and knew that Ron would never let any harm come to Harry's son.

Ron and Evan had been gone for a couple of hours when a particularly majestic looking owl appeared, bearing a letter addressed to Ginevra Potter. The letter was sealed with green wax and she did not recognize the handwriting. Assuming it was from someone who had read about her and Evan in the paper that morning, she opened it carefully, in case it to was hexed. It was not.

Dear Ginny,

Now that I have read the paper, I think I know what you were raving about this morning. By your reaction, it is clear that you think that I told the press about Evan's existence and your visit to the cemetery yesterday. I give my word that I did not. From your anger this morning, I infer that my word might not be worth much to you, but I am telling you the truth. I haven't told anyone that I know you, much less that you have a son.

Now that the press know about Evan, it might help for you to use them to your advantage. I have instructed my publicist, Shawna Wickness, to do anything she can for you, at my expense. I hope that you will accept this as my gift to you, whether you think that I had a hand in this morning's story or not. I have enjoyed our friendship more than you know, and I would not sacrifice that for anything. Whatever happens, I wish you luck. Please believe me.

Yours,

Draco


Ginny read and reread the letter with conflicted emotions. Was Draco sincere, or was he trying to manipulate her? Twenty minutes later, an owl from Shawna Wickness arrived, offering her services. Apparently Draco was serious, whether or not he had been the leak. Suddenly, Hermione appeared in front of her.

"Ginny! I found out what happened!" she gushed. "I talked to Eloise Midgen, do you remember her? She was a Hufflepuff in my year and used to have a crooked nose?" Ginny nodded dumbly. "Anyway, Eloise works at the Daily Prophet, so I asked her about the story. She asked the reporter, Bartleby, about his sources. He said he heard the story about you and Evan from Colin Creevey, and that he and Colin were the ones in the cemetery yesterday. Apparently Colin used a discreet flash so you wouldn't know when he was taking the pictures."

Ginny felt desolate. Colin had been one of her best friends at Hogwarts, and she had been one of his models as he practiced his photography. Now he was taking her picture in secret.

Hermione continued, "I talked to Colin, and he said he heard about everything from his brother Dennis. What took me so long was finding Dennis. Did you know that he is working as a designer at Gladrags in Hogsmeade?"

Ginny shook her head. She realized she was holding her breath, in anticipation of the end of Hermione's story.

"Where was I? Oh! So Bartleby heard about Evan from Colin who heard from Dennis. When I tracked Dennis down, I found the leak."

"And?" Ginny asked.

"And... it wasn't Draco Malfoy like you thought. It was Natalie McDonald."

"Natalie McDonald?" Ginny asked, confused.

"George's girlfriend. She was here on Sunday."

"I had forgotten she was here. I thought it was just family..."

"Yes, well. She was here. I just came from her flat, though, and she didn't realize that Evan was supposed to be kept secret. She ran into Dennis in Hogsmeade yesterday and mentioned Evan. She thought his story was romantic or something, and Dennis had been in her year in Gryffindor, so she had no reason not to trust him. And Dennis, of course, doesn't think of Colin as a member of the press, just as his brother..."

"So what you're saying is that the whole thing happened because of a string of misunderstandings?"

"That's what it looks like."

"And Draco had nothing to do with it?"

"Apparently not."

"I owe him an apology, then."

"Yes. Yes, I think you do," said Hermione, giving Ginny a meaningful look.

***

Ginny was reluctant to return to Draco's flat, but Hermione kept glaring at her, so she finally went. She knocked timidly, and wasn't able to meet his eye when he opened it. He looked at her with concern.

"Ginny? Are you okay? Did something else happen?" he asked.

"I'm sorry," she muttered.

"What?" he asked, stepping aside so she could enter.

"I'm sorry," she said a little louder, as she moved into the foyer. Gathering her courage, she added, "I'm sorry that I accused you without any evidence. I fell back on my old opinions of you, and it wasn't fair. And then you turned around and offered to help, even though I was mad at you."

Ginny was still looking at his feet. Draco lifted her chin so she was forced to look him in the eye. "It's okay, Ginny. I understand. I never gave you any reason to trust me before. But that was before."

"It's not okay. I jumped to conclusions. And I was wrong. The leak was a Gryffindor, George's girlfriend, who didn't realize what she was doing. And you... I accuse you and all you've done is be a friend to me." She looked away, embarrassed about what she had done.

Draco stood silently for a moment, staring at her. Then he said, "Ginny," in a strangely deep voice.

She looked up at him. "Ginny," he repeated, reaching up to cup her cheek with his hand. "I don't want to be a friend to you." And then his lips were on hers.

She had only kissed three men before. With Michael Corner and Dean Thomas, the kisses had been awkward and uncomfortable. Harry's kisses were full of infinite sweetness. But this... this made her feel as if she was on fire, and she threw herself into it with abandon. But when the comparison flashed through her mind, she was filled with guilt. Harry...

She pushed Draco away abruptly, and her panicked eyes met his confused ones. "I... I have to go," she whispered, not quite under her breath, and Disapparated with a pop.



*************

A/N: My real life tends to get quite hectic at the end of the school year, so I expect that I will not be able to update as frequently over the next few weeks. Thanks for bearing with me, and for the reviews!
Leave a Review