For the third time in as many days, Draco Malfoy found himself at the same jewelry store. He was again mulling over the emerald and diamond broach, trying to decide if Ginny would want it or not. Or even if she would accept it from him.

He'd decided before he didn't want to buy her affections, but at this point, he was desperate. Every time they got anywhere close to being somewhat intimate, she put the brakes on and stopped him. He couldn't figure out why, what was he doing that was turning her off? In the last few days, Draco had all but admitted he was in love with her. But to have her voice her concerns about their relationship bothered him. She saw herself as another notch on his bedpost. Except that's not what she would be.

Draco finally gave in and purchased the broach, telling himself it was for his mother. It was something exactly like what Narcissa Malfoy would want. When she returned from holiday, Draco would give it to her as a present from both of them. He tucked the small black bag in the inside of his cloak and left the jeweler. The man had wished him a good day and told him to come again.

Somehow, Draco knew he'd be back soon. He hadn't spent so much time in a jewelry store in the last five years – no woman ever inspired him the way Ginny Weasley did. He'd been content to shower them with money; encouraging each of them to buy their own jewelry or dress robes. Money was impersonal. While things like rings and broaches were very, very personal.

Hours later, it was growing dark outside, and Draco wasn't any closer to going home. He knew he should, Ginny would likely be worried. Especially after the way he left with no explanation. However, it seemed too much of a task at the moment. He didn't want another row. So if he waited until she was asleep, maybe they'd be able to avoid it for another day.

Diagon Alley left him few options, however. Draco stopped being fascinated with the place by the time he was fifteen years old. Before the start of his seventh year he attended the back-to-school rituals because his Mum asked him to. Knockturn Alley never caught his attention either. He knew some of the patrons fairly well, as they had been visitors of his father's for many years. As an Auror, he had a natural curiosity about the Alley, but never enough to go exploring after dark. Because he was a known Auror, it was probably safer that way. The people who frequented that part of wizarding London would have no qualms about casting a spell when his back was turned.

Instead, Draco found himself at The Leaky Cauldron hoping to turn his mind off with a few pints of butterbeer. He would have never considered this earlier, as the press was out and about, no doubt looking for a crack in the still-new Weasley-Malfoy union. But it was well after quitting time for them, so Draco knew he'd be safe. All the same, he took a seat at the far end of the bar. There was little light and other than Tom, the bartender, no one bothered him.

He was on his third pint when Tom said, "Aren't ye that Malfoy bloke I've seen splashed all over the papers lately?"

Draco nodded before taking a large swallow from the glass. "What's it to you?"

"If ye just got married, what're ye doing here? Couldn't you take 'er on a proper honeymoon?"

The Malfoy snorted. "Does it really matter?"

Tom raised a bushy eyebrow. "If ye take that attitude, ye'll be divorced within a year."

Draco didn't feel it was necessary to point out the bartender was probably right. If Ginny got her way, they'd be divorced in less than six months. "Look, I'm not here for conversation. Just make sure my glass is never empty."

The man gave Draco a toothless grin. "Do my job, then? S'that what you want?"

"Yes."

Tom refilled the half empty glass before leaving to tend to the other patrons. His words, however, lingered with Draco. A honeymoon. They hadn't even considered taking a real one – a place with lots of sun, sand, and little clothes. He could imagine what Ginny might look like in a two-piece bathing suit. Draco recalled the shapely legs he'd seen the day before. She'd be breathtaking in a bikini.

Maybe a proper honeymoon was in order. His plan of using the press wasn't working well, as she seemed to like to stay at home. And when they were at home, arguments seemed to occur. He couldn't even use the excuse of his Mum to get her out anymore. The only time she'd mentioned leaving the flat was to go to the Burrow for Sunday lunch. Which Draco dreaded more than he cared to admit.

A room full of Weasley's, all of them suspecting Ginny was pregnant (no matter how much she reassured them), was not his idea of fun. No, if it were up to him, they'd stay in bed until noon on Sunday. He and Ginny would finally leave the room sometime mid-afternoon, going out onto the beach, splashing about in the water. He'd want to be somewhere incredibly warm – perhaps he should look into buying real estate in the tropics? Someplace he could take her year-round.

Draco was pulled from his musings when a sickly-sweet smell began to wrap around his head. He looked up from the bar, surprised to find a blonde with big blue eyes staring at him. "Hello."

"Hi," she smiled widely. "Knut for your thoughts?"

"Pardon?" Draco pulled his arm into his lap when he saw her hand inching towards it.

"I've been sitting here for nearly ten minutes now. You just looked up." The blonde tossed her long hair over her right shoulder. "Want to talk about it?"

He stood and dropped a few galleons on the table. "I was just leaving."

The blonde sucked at her straw, hoping to entice him into staying. "Buy me a drink?"

Draco slid one of the galleons from the pile towards her. "There."

He moved away again. The blonde pouted. "Where are you going? I thought we were going to have a drink together."

"No," he sighed. "You're going to have a drink, I'm going home." Draco said this coldly, leaving no room for argument.

"Alone?" she questioned. "I could easily join you."

"I'm not interested."

She grabbed his arm and pulled him forward, his hand coming to rest against the top of her cleavage. "Are you sure?" The woman looked at him through lowered eyelashes. "It would be fun."

"I'm married."

She grinned. "Doesn't matter."

Draco jerked his hand away and took out his wand. "It matters to me. Goodbye." And he Apparated away.

The woman rolled her eyes and took the galleon he'd given her, tucking it into her bra. She scanned the bar, looking for someone else to take her home tonight.

***


He thought for a moment he'd somehow splinched himself. Draco barely recognized his living room. The billiards table had been moved back so it was beside a picture window. The coffee table was now in the center of the room the leather couch moved back several feet away from it. On each side of the couch, there was now an end table. Except he didn't own any end tables. He went to them, inspecting the pictures closely.

Holy shit. There was a picture of Ron Weasley in his living room.

As well as the picture taken with his Mum when he finished Hogwarts. Ginny had been in his room.

Curiosity got the best of him, and Draco ended up taking a tour of his flat. She'd definitely changed things around. After he checked the kitchen, bathroom, and spare bedroom, he went to her room. Draco knocked lightly, before cracking the door.

Funny. Ginny wasn't there. She'd definitely changed the room. As much as he hated the Gryffindor-esque colour pattern, he couldn't complain. At least the room was mainly the cream colour. He could live with that.

Draco was concerned that Ginny wasn't in her bed. She hadn't been on the couch, or in any of the other rooms in the flat, so she must have left. He considered Flooing the Burrow, but knew he'd only arouse suspicion if she wasn't there. Ginny was aware of their arrangement and Draco had confidence she wouldn't ruin things because of a silly fight.

He went into his room, already unfastening his robes. The butterbeer made him drowsy. And the previous night, he'd been in a constant state between awake and asleep, trying to figure out the woman lying on top of him.

Draco put the black jewelers bag on his dresser, before turning to his bed. There was a fire in his fireplace so he could see the gentle outline of a body… Ginny?

What was she doing in his room?

For the first time, Draco looked around noticing the changes. Her redecorating hadn't stopped with the rest of the apartment – she'd changed his room as well. And apparently taken up residence in his bed. Even though he was slightly furious with her (he'd asked her to not entire his private quarters), Draco couldn't help but feel touched.

If she'd taken her decorating so seriously as to include his bedroom, her husband knew she planned on staying for a while. Otherwise, her efforts and energy would have been wasted. She must have been exhausted, too tired to make it back to her own room. That must have been why she was asleep in his bed.

Draco considered moving her, but didn't want to chance waking her up. Next he considered going to the couch to sleep. But ruled the idea out. Draco eyed his bed, it was large enough for the both of them to sleep in. She was asleep already and Draco knew anything he wanted to do involving her would require her full participation.

His mind made up, Draco stripped down to his undershirt and boxers. At the last minute, he decided to pull on a pair of loose fitting gray pants. He went to her side of the bed, carefully placing her under the covers. Ginny didn't stir once.

After he'd dimmed the lights in the room, Draco rounded to the other side. He crawled into the bed, sliding towards the middle. They were both beneath the blankets, but Draco chose to keep his distance from her. No need to have a screaming Weasley wake him up in the morning, going on about molesting her in her sleep.

Instead, his hand reached across the distance and took hers. For a moment he thought he felt her squeeze it, but she never stirred. "Goodnight, love," he said softly.

Draco closed his eyes, knowing he would dream about red hair and freckles.
Leave a Review