DISCLAIMER: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. In addition, the song 'Defying Gravity' is copyright to Stephen Schwartz. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.

Defying Gravity

Chapter 4

He could not wait to interact with Weasley again. Draco was not certainly able to put his finger upon his reasoning of why he was so anxious to see, but in times like these, logic was not the premier item on the list of priorities. His brain was ready to replay the scenario ad nasuem, possibly adding little snippets that had not actually taken place, when he was sorely interrupted by Zabini.

"You've gone mad, mate," Zabini declared.

"What makes you say that?" Draco asked of him.

"The look on your face. Sure, you've been odd since the term started, but now you're just off your hippogriff!"

Draco's stomach lurched. Had he seen his situation with the Littlest Weasel? That would be disastrous to his reputation. Especially since he hadn't hurt her or made her cry. Did he honestly care about his reputation?

"You've had this... fuzzy look on your face all day. You didn't come to dinner. You love dinner. Or were you just hiding from Parkinson?"

Draco's eyes widened and face paled at the name, as if he had stumbled across a dead body. He gave a solemn nod, even though it wasn't the real reason; the solution would suffice.

"She was talking up a storm about you. How you didn't really like her. How you guys are over, even though you were never technically dating in the first place. How she saw you talking to She-Weasel in the library-"

A vicious sputter poured from Draco's lips at this. Not that taunting prey in a corner was unorthodox, he, however, was worried that Pansy could read his heart during those moments' time and know what he dare not let anyone know. But how could she read his mind let alone read Hogwarts: A History? At this reasoning, he settled.

"You all right, mate? Struck a nerve?"

"I simply- no, I just. I didn't- Choked on air."

"Oh."

"Don't want anyone to know yet. It's a new development. Don't want to blow, with little miss twit blabbing," Draco suavely explained.

The foolish fish took the bait.

"Ah, alterior motives. Cunning. False emotions to get what you want. Hmm," Zabini mused. Draco was lucky that mostly everyone in the Slytherin house wanted his approval and attention. Even if someone questioned his logic, they played along to get the okay from Draco. Approval from him was a blessing from the gods.

"Right. Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under it."

"Aye, don't blame you. She-Weasel isn't so ugly that she needs to be shot. Am I headed in the right direction, or are you aimin' at something else?" Zabini sure was curious.

"I really just want to piss off her brother," Draco blurted out. It was the first thing that came to mind.

A moment or two passed.

"Cool," Zabini finally said and then left. Draco groaned once he was certain his peer was out of earshot. He began a soliloquy. His only company recently had been the sound of his own voice.

"Blasted... damnit! This is the one moment in life where I hold no alterior motives! For once, I feel genuine. And I want my actions to feel the same. It's a bare, naked feeling, but it's the most pure thing ever. Since when has vulnerable been evil? Weren't Adam and Eve oblivious of their nakedness until they ate the cursed fruit? I want to be Adam, and Ginny, my Eve. For once, I'll no longer bear the name of Slytherin and all its bearings and be human. Bear my own name," Draco was pumped on his own pep talk. He wanted to march right up to Ginny and strike up a genuine conversation with her. Win her heart...

"But a serpent by any other name would still be a serpent," a tiny voice crept in the back of his mind. It demolished the entire feeling of good will he had established. Even the tiniest pin-prick will deflate the biggest balloon.

"Right. Why should I be any different? Can people really change? Am I lying to myself? The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose, after all," he concluded with a sigh. He decided he would have to wait and see how his interaction with Ginny panned out. He somberly ascended the stairs and attempted sleep.
To Be Continued.
Saiyyan is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 6 members. Members who liked Defying Gravity also liked 514 other stories.
Leave a Review