Disclaimer: I don’t own any characters except lousy Penny Pavarti and Violet Brown, and like Millicent’s bro

Good news- there are like only 2 more chapters left!! Next one is called “Winter Break” last chapter is called “A Shot at Happiness” I’m so original.

This chapter is insanely long so could you please read and review? It would be really awesome!

* * * * * *

Ginny soon discovered that Draco’s invitation was the only thing that kept her going that week-the final week before winter break. The rest of Gryffindor with the exception of Hermione and Ron was giving her the cold shoulder. It was bad enough that she had “broke Harry’s heart” but then she’d gone and broke Colin’s heart. There was no denying that Colin was taking the break-up badly. He moped about, and though Penny Pavarti never seemed to stray from his side, he still seemed desolate.

Ginny felt terrible about what had happened but whenever she attempted to talk to him, Penny would appear to hiss “Haven’t you hurt him enough?” It hurt to see her former friend so angry. Ginny had taken to walking by herself or with Ron and Hermione whenever possible. (Ron had stopped ignoring her in light of her present situation.)

She had not spoken to Draco since he’d asked her to Hogsmeade, she sometimes glimpsed him in the hallways surrounded by his goons - Crabbe and Goyle. Or else she saw him at mealtimes where she tried to catch his eye and he ignored her.

So here she was scurrying down the hallway, unsure whether or not she and Draco were indeed going to Hogsmeade together. She got in line with the other students, awaiting the OK from Filch who examined Hogsmeade passes with a hopeful expression-you just knew he was nursing a secret ambition to catch forgeries. Ginny spotted Ron and Hermione ahead of her in line, arms linked. Well it seemed like Ron had gathered the nerve to ask Hermione out.

Once Filch had reluctantly Okayed her pass Ginny was on her way to Hogsmeade, her heart beating twice its normal rate, a giddy sense of hope filling her. Despite the fact that it was late November, the day was warm and the sky, a brilliant blue. Ginny was wearing a white shirt and a jade skirt that complimented her hair. She spotted Draco, slouching on a bench. As she made her way towards him, he got up. He ambled toward her. Ginny was shocked when he bumped into her, and then remarked, “Watch out Weasel!” before walking off. She was still more surprised when she realized he’d pressed a note into her hand.

She unfurled the crumpled parchment and scanned the paper written in sloping, elegant handwriting.

Meet me at The Three Broomsticks - come alone.
-Draco

She clutched the note to her chest and strode thoughtfully in the direction of the pub.

* * * *

Draco sat in a booth near the back of The Three Broomsticks, he’d already ordered them a pair of butterbeers. He scanned the crowd, searching for her familiar shock of red hair. Anxiety gripped him though he tried to deny it, he knew he’d care if she didn’t show up, which seemed more and more likely with every passing minute. He could hardly blame her for skiving off their date - no – meeting, what with the abysmal way he’d treated her all week. He couldn’t help it, for as much as he hated admitting it, he knew that he was as hopeless as Harry or Ron when it came to dealing with a girl he liked. Then did that mean he liked Ginny? He pondered the question seriously, reviewing his scant knowledge on the subject of love, and applying it to the tumultuous emotions he experienced in Ginny’s presence. He came up with a big question mark and decided he knew too little about love to recognize it.

Just as he came to this conclusion, he heard his name spoken breathlessly, and he looked up and knew.

Ginny was standing before him, her cheeks flushed, her hair flowing past her shoulders in shimmering bolts, her bottom lip between her pearly teeth. She gazed at him with a worried expression on her face, “Draco?” she whispered.

“Ginny,” he said slowly, “You came.”

She slid into the booth across from him, and he handed her a butterbeer. Ginny felt in her pocket, bringing out a few tarnished sickles, and handed them to Draco.

It pained Draco to see her handing him money which he knew to be scarce in her family. What girl would bother trying to pay him, Draco Malfoy, the wealthiest boy at Hogwarts? Only Ginny of course. He tried to give her the money back, but one glance at her stubborn expression was enough for him to realize it was a lost cause.

He knew then that this was the girl that he wanted to spend the rest of his days with. He’d always figured he would marry for more wealth or power, love was unheard of - laughable even. So why now this change of heart? Why did he suddenly not care if his father objected to his choice, he didn’t care if his parents disowned him, his friends deserted him - it was a glorious feeling.

She sat there waiting for him to speak. He noticed the little things, that she was fidgeting with her hands, that a warm blush graced her cheeks, and that her fingernails showed evidence of being bitten - a nervous habit perhaps.

He looked into her eyes, those soft, brown innocent orbs, and he remembered when they’d glittered with unshed tears for him - Draco Malfoy. No one had ever shed tears for him – no one but Ginny. He kept returning to the question festering in his brain - Why. Why did Ginny give a damn about him? He certainly did nothing to deserve it - he’d made her brother’s life miserable for the last six years, and he’d attempted the same to her. Her brother hated him only slightly less than he hated Snape that was clear enough, but Ginny, she…actually cared for him. He wondered, not for the first time, how deep her feelings for him went. She’d agreed to this date at Hogsmeade which was serious enough in his mind. If she did care for him, then what could he offer her? Money, power? He knew she would have no interest in such things.

What did he possess which was worthy of Ginny? As he looked at her he realized the answer - nothing.

* * * *

Ginny watched in disbelief as Draco left her there - all alone. What had he meant saying, “I don’t know why you care about me, but I’m warning you - stay away from me”? She felt bewildered – and hurt, what had she done? She was washed in hot shame – he didn’t like her, let alone love her. Had she not just been contemplating whether her feelings toward Draco matched her vast knowledge of love?

On her way to The Three Broomsticks, Ginny had spotted a love potion on the dusty showcase of a store well-known for its dark magic artifacts. The love potion of course set her thinking of her crush on Draco- but for the first time she was wondering about the extent of her feelings towards Draco. She had given up denying that she felt attracted to him but did it end there? She thought back to her numerous conversations with her mother concerning love.

One particular talk really stuck out in her mind. Ginny had been pressing her mother on the subject, “But how do you know know - I mean what if you think you might but are not sure?” Her mother had peered at her closely and she had flushed wondering if it was that obvious that she was thinking about Harry. Her mother replied slowly, “Sometimes - as was the case with your father and me- you’ve known the person for awhile, maybe you like them, but one day you look at them, and it hits you – you know that this is the person you want to spend the right of your life with.

Ginny didn’t recall having such a moment, so did that mean she didn’t really like Draco?

She was now in The Three Broomsticks by now, and she threaded her way back to Malfoy’s table.

* * * *

Draco sat, limbs splayed in the booth. He was wearing a black T-shirt and jeans, it amazed her how he could possibly look so good dressed in such simple garb. Ginny blushed when she saw Draco staring intently at her. The silence that followed was unnerving.

“Draco?” She whispered tentatively.

She took the seat across from him, when he pressed her with a butterbeer, she accepted and paid him. He looked at her strangely and she was positive he would refuse the money. Thus when he, after a long pause, slipped it into his pocket, she was surprised. No other boy would have done that. Harry, Michael, Dean, they would all have insisted on paying for her. It didn’t matter why he’d accepted her money, all that mattered was that he’d done it.

She avoided his intense gaze and instead studied his lithe figure. She wondered why he was bothering with her- she was scrawny and short. She had blazing red-hair, a furious temper, and was an insufferable tomboy. She was from Gryffindor, and worst of all, she was dirt poor. They were opposites in every sense, but didn’t they say opposites attract? She didn’t know, she didn’t know anything at this moment except Draco meant more to her than any other boy had. He was a cruel sarcastic bully, - but he was also sensitive, sweet and funny. Not to mention being the hottest boy at Hogwarts.

Ginny’s thoughts returned to her feelings, she couldn’t sort them out. She knew she cared desperately for Draco, but was that it? Was she merely infatuated? Would it be like Harry - disappointing in the end? She was uneasy - should she not know her own feelings? She wanted only to gaze into his eyes and find solace.

She didn’t even have to look at his face- she’d memorized every inch of it. His pale delicate skin, his prominent nose, his lips –you couldn’t forget them Ginny thought blushing. His eyebrows were finely etched His hair of course, pale-blond and tumbling into his eyes, which were steel gray and so expressive. They could be both piercing and reassuring at once.

Nevertheless, Ginny looked up and knew.

* * * *

With bitter regret, Ginny got up from the table, noticing Ron, Harry and Hermione huddled up in the corner - apparently Ron and Harry were back to normal.

It was with a heavy heart that Ginny began to trudge through town on her way up to Hogwarts. She knew herself to be in love –with Draco Malfoy no less – and yet she couldn’t be more alone. Overhead the sky had darkened, Ginny squinted up, no doubt a storm was gathering. Well that was fine with her, a storm would only reflect her mood. It was obvious she had fallen victim to unrequited love - Draco’s behavior had hardly left room for doubts.

Draco. Was this to be her fate? Was she to pine over Malfoy for the rest of her day? It seemed hardly fair.

Love is miserable Ginny thought, kicking a stone. She watched it skid across the sidewalk and come to rest at the door of some store. Idly she checked its name- it was Brighton’s –that creepy store she’d seen before with the love potion.

Suddenly, barely conscious of what she was doing, Ginny pushed open the door.

A bell tinkled faintly in the depths of the store, and the air was dank and musty. She stood by the door, unsure what she was doing.

“May I help you, my dear,” Ginny jumped, the old witch who now stood beside her had stolen up beside her without a sound. The witch grinned at her, revealing toothless gums. This woman gave Ginny the creeps.

“Uh-no—“ Ginny stammered.

The witch peered at her closely, then nodded sagely. “You are suffering- unrequited love.”

Now how on earth did this woman know that? Ginny thought. Is it that obvious that I’m in love?


The old witch shuffled to the showcase and removed a bottle from it.

“This is Amortentia, the most powerful love potion – the boy who you crave will be head over heels in love with you. All you need to do is slip him a little and he’ll be tangled up in you in no time.”

“How much?” Ginny replied, scarcely believing she was asking. Yet, Draco.

“For you it’s free.”

The old witch handed her the potion which had a curious mother-of-pearl sheen.

“But I must warn you that the potion will have no effect if your boy is already in love.”

There was an odd twinkle in her eye as she said this, then, with a nod of her head, she vanished into the depths of the store, leaving Ginny there clutching the vial.

* * * * * *
Leave a Review