. . . . . .

The right to be heard does not include the right to be taken seriously. - Hubert Humphrey

. . . . . .

Time went by strangely for Ginny that day. Sometimes it would fly past her, leaving her wondering where the hours had gone, and sometimes it would slow to a crawl, until she could have sworn she saw the hands of the clock going backwards. At every moment her mind was fixed on one thing: her family dinner that night, where she would tell the rest of the Weasleys that she had married Draco Malfoy, and that she had done so less than two days after seeing him for the first time in ages. She didn't know which of those pieces of news was worse.

Glennis' reaction to her news had shaken her confidence. She'd thought the woman would think the marriage such a great match that she would be willing to overlook to some extent the strange circumstances around it. She hadn't, though- not even close. And if Glennis, who admired Draco Malfoy, still thought their union was madness, what on earth would her family say?

At more than one point during the afternoon, she considered skipping the dinner. It wasn't a bad idea, really. She could owl her father or one of the older Weasley sons about it, as they were the least likely to make something huge of it, and they could tell the rest of the family. Even as she thought of this, though, she knew she could never do it. She felt guilty about all the secrecy and half-truths that had been surrounding this marriage, and telling her family in person was the one thing she could do to be straight with them. And so, when five o' clock came around, she dutifully gathered her things and left St. Mungo's, feeling like a prisoner going to the firing squad all the while.

When she arrived at the Burrow, the little house was bright and warm and full of bustling people and delicious smells that were coming from the kitchen. She could hear Bill and Charlie's voices from somewhere in the back of the house, and the pounding upstairs meant they must have brought their families. A very Mrs. Weasley-sounding shriek from the kitchen meant that Fred and George must be in there with her.

Ginny grinned as she hung her purse in the entryway. The chaos was a bit of a welcome break from the austere silence of Malfoy Manor. As she walked into the living room, she saw various other members of the Weasley clan in the many old and mismatched armchairs and sofas. Harry was there, for once not flanked by Hermione and Ron, and sitting on the orange sofa was someone she hadn't expected to see. "Luna!" she said with a grin, walking in and sitting next to her friend. "What are you doing here?"

Luna smiled at her in her usual milky way. "I saw your mother in Diagon Alley today, and she invited me."

Delighted to have her old friend there, and hoping that she would take her side when the big announcement came, Ginny sat back and fell into conversation with Luna. All the while, though, she was looking around the room, wondering how she was going to tell her family. Everyone was there, as far as she could tell, except for of course Percy. Even Fred's girlfriend Angelina was there. She gulped a little and thought, not for the first time, that it really would have been easier to owl her father.

After a few minutes of chatting, Harry caught her eye from across the room, and, smiling a little, got up from his chair. Ginny stifled a groan. He wasn't going to try to flirt with her, was he? Because it wouldn't work. Of course it hadn't ever worked before, but now that she was a married woman, his chances were absolutely zero.

But that wasn't what he did. "Ginny," he said softly as he sat on the other side of her, nodding at Luna as he did so, "I was worried about you on Tuesday after you didn't return my note."

"Oh," Ginny said. "Yes, the note. I was- I was busy. Sorry."

"That's all right," he said. "But the thing is, then I went to try to see you yesterday, and your apartment was empty, and your landlord said you'd moved."

Ginny tried not to wince. "Uh, yes, that's true." As she processed what he'd said, she inwardly breathed a sigh of relief. It was lucky he'd come when he had; if he'd come earlier, he would have found her and Draco packing up her things. That would have been awkward, to say the least.

Nearby, her father leaned forward. "Ginny, you moved? You didn't tell us that."

Ginny shrugged uncomfortably as the rest of the occupants of the room began turning to look at her. "Well, it only happened yesterday," she apologized.

"Where'd you move to?" asked Angelina.

"Out in the country," Ginny replied, thinking quickly. "I can't walk to work anymore, but it's very pretty countryside."

"Really? Which part?" Hermione asked.

Ginny fought back a groan. She didn't want to tell them like this. She was completely not in control of the situation. "Umm, Wiltshire."

"Wiltshire?" Luna asked, perking up a little. "I was just in Wiltshire last month working on an article."

"What kind of article?" asked Ginny, thankful for the change of subject.

"Actually, it was on Malfoy Manor. A portion of the park there holds the record for having the country's oldest existing enchantment not connected to a government building or school."

"What kind of spell is it?" asked Harry, obviously intrigued.

"It's an ancient form of the Imperius spell. It compels those there to adhere to certain ancient laws."

"Imagine that," Ginny said with a weak laugh, and if she looked distinctly uncomfortable, no one seemed to notice.

. . . . . .

At that exact moment, Draco was sipping his water at Ottavio's, a small but highbrow Italian restaurant in central London. He had always liked Ottavio's; the food was excellent, the atmosphere was quiet and refined, and for most people it was hard to get into, meaning those who dined there were always the right sort. Of course, he realized how elitist that sounded- he could just imagine what Ginny would say if he expressed that thought to her- but he had been raised a Malfoy. He was used to the best things in life.

Although, right then, perhaps "the best things in life" didn't exactly describe his situation. He looked across the table, wondering for what felt like the hundredth time how he'd ended up having dinner with Seamus Finnigan. He didn't know it'd happened. One moment he was going through his day like normal, and the next Seamus had invited himself to dinner. Draco had hoped he'd forget, but at five o' clock exactly, a chipper face had appeared around the corner, looking into his office, asking if he was ready to go.

So here he was, eating Italian food with a half-blood. Not that it mattered, he reminded himself quickly. He'd been trying to rid himself of such slurs as those ever since he'd renounced his father's and Voldemort's doctrines and joined the Order of the Phoenix. Old habits died hard, however.

But really, he told himself firmly, Seamus wasn't that bad. Besides his forwardness in cutting into Draco's plans, and the fact that he was apparently perpetually peppy, Seamus was a decent sort of fellow. He was an interesting conversationalist, at least, and that was more than Draco could say for a lot of people. And with all they'd shared, going to the same school and fighting in the same war, they really had a lot of common ground.

Of course, there were many areas in which Seamus was severely lacking, Draco thought as he watched his companion tear into the breadsticks that had just arrived, areas like table manners. Without thinking, he said as much. Seamus just laughed. "You're probably right. Sorry. I'll try being a little daintier from now on." Draco just shook his head and helped himself to a breadstick.

"So," Seamus asked, "where's Ginny tonight?"

Draco took a sip of his drink. "Family dinner," he explained.

Seamus raised an eyebrow. "Why aren't you there?"

"I didn't think they'd be happy to see me," Draco shrugged. "Especially as they'll be finding out any minute now that their baby girl is married to the big bad Draco Malfoy."

Seamus put his breadstick back down and stared at Draco. "That's tonight?" he asked. When Draco nodded, Seamus asked in surprise, "And you're here while she's telling her family she's married? Don't you think you should be there with her?"

"She said it was all right," Draco said. "And like I said, the Weasleys would probably have a thing or two to say about it. I'm in no mood to die tonight."

"Draco, you idiot," Seamus said in disgust. "Of course she'd say it's all right if you don't come. Girls do things like that all the time. Do you really think she meant it?"

"So, you think she really did want me to come?" Draco asked slowly, confused.

"Of course," Seamus said, as though that should have been obvious. "She probably didn't want to force you into it. She probably expected you to volunteer to come. Women are very complex creatures. They never say what they mean."

Draco shook his head. "She should have told me," he said, annoyed.

"I just told you, they can't say things straight out. They're genetically indisposed or something."

Draco looked at his food, deep in thought. Was he going to have to deal with this womanly doublespeak for the next year and a half?

"Draco," Seamus said, cutting into his thoughts, "what are you still doing here? Go to your wife."

While Seamus looked expectantly at him, waiting for an answer, Draco had a quick internal debate. He didn't want to go, but he knew he should. He didn't want to face the Weasel family, especially on their home turf, but he wasn't going to allow himself to be scared off by the mere thought of the Muggle lovers. No bond of love tied him to Ginny, but she was his wife, and it was his duty to support her. Family loyalty was ingrained into the Malfoys from the day they were born, and he would not break that sacred trust now, not for the sake of a few ginger-haired vagrants. I mean, he corrected himself, for the sake of my new in-laws.

And really, he had to admit, he owed it to her. She had done the same for him, when she went to the Stewarts' party with him. She hated all his friends and associates, and yet she had walked into the viper's nest for him. He ought to do the same for her, no matter how loathsome he found the task.

"All right," he said to Seamus, all the while cursing his overly-strong sense of family duty. "I'll go."

It took a bit of time for him to actually get out of the restaurant, between gathering his things and bidding Seamus farewell and making his excuses to the manager who came bustling over asking what was happening, and was Mr. Malfoy displeased with something, that he left so early?

Finally Draco stood in the gathering darkness in front of a dilapidated building that reminded him very much of a very old shed that stood on a pasture near the north edge of the park around Malfoy Manor. He eyed the structure dubiously. What was it they called it? The Burrow? Very fitting for a family of weasels, he thought. It was in a very beautiful spot, though. Of course, he preferred the landscape around his own home, but the soft hills and lush trees around Ginny's home were very scenic too. Still, the house was little better than a pile of stones, and could have fit comfortably inside the entry hall at Malfoy Manor. He frowned as he contemplated entering it. The few times he'd been in it before had been enough for him.

The memory of the day he'd entered the Burrow suddenly swept over him, and he found himself drawing a quick, deep breath to calm himself. That was the day during the war, when he'd gone to the Burrow to get Ginny to return to the Manor with him, to stand watch for him. He shook his head quickly. There were some things that he still didn't like to think about, even after all the time that had passed. It was time to focus on the here and now.

So, to the Burrow, then, but how? Should he knock or just enter? As he stood pondering, a voice suddenly spoke beside him, and it took a good deal of effort not to jump in surprise. "Can I 'elp you?"

He turned to the speaker and immediately recognized Fleur Delacour, the French member of the Order and one of the Triwizard Tournament champions. He suddenly remembered that she'd married Bill Weasley some time past. She was at the Burrow for the family party too, then. Well, at least he wouldn't be the only non-redhead.

Marriage seemed to have been good for Fleur; she seemed settled and content. At least, he could sense how hard she was working to keep her veela charms in check, which made sense. He supposed a happily married woman wouldn't want strangers throwing themselves at her. She had also, in her years in England, lost much of her accent, which made her much easier to understand.

"Perhaps," he said. "This is the Burrow, right?"

"It is," she said. "But you are Draco Malfoy, no? What business can you have here? Ze Weasleys are busy right now."

"Family party, right? I'm supposed to be there."

Fleur raised an eyebrow, and Draco was reminded of the bold, imperious French girl who had waltzed into Hogwarts so long ago. "Forgive my rudeness, but why would ze Weasleys invite you to a party? I was under ze impression you and several young Weasleys were not ze best of friends."

Casting his mind around for what to say, he settled on being truthful without giving anything away. "I'm here for Ginny," he said, trying for deliberate vagueness in the hope she wouldn't see his meaning.

From the look on her face, though, she saw far more than he would have liked. "For Ginny? Really? You and Ginny are . . ."

"I just need to see her," Draco said, trying not to break in too quickly. That would have sounded rather suspicious.

"Zen why 'ave you not gone in yet?"

As he looked at her, he made a split second decision: he could use an ally. "Well, truth be told," he said, and the truth indeed it was, "I'm a little wary of barging in on the Weasleys. You were right; we are not the best of friends."

As he'd thought, that little admission, that little heart to heart, had won him a guide into the Weasley household. "You are brave to try, zen," she said, laughing. "Come on, ze family is eating in ze backyard. You may escort me." She led the way around the back of the house, adding, "And don't worry. Ze Weasleys very rarely attack guests."

"Great," Draco said, and, grimacing, followed Fleur into the deepening shadows beside the Burrow.

. . . . . .

All told, Ginny told herself in an attempt at reassurance, she'd picked a fairly good day to drop her bombshell on her family. It wasn't anyone's birthday, so she wouldn't be stealing anyone's thunder; more importantly, everyone was in a holiday mood, and would, she hoped, be inclined to be tolerant and forgiving.

Ron, especially, was in a very good mood, and Ginny was very pleased; first because he might be less upset about her announcement, and more importantly, his reason for being happy was one that brought her joy, too, joy that came from a step accomplished toward her long-cherished hope of having Hermione as a sister. The whispered explanation Hermione gave under the tree elicited giggles from Ginny, Angelina, and George's wife Hannah: an Auror assignment the night before that left both of them stranded in a cave in Cornwall in a storm, a heated argument that started over who to charge in the case, Hermione's angrily blurted admission that she loved him.

"What did he do?" Hannah gasped as Ginny and Angelina tittered at the thought.

"Stood there like a stone," Hermione said. "For a second I thought maybe he hadn't heard, because you would have thought he would have reacted, right? But then he came round and asked me if I was serious, and I told him I was, and . . ." Her smile told the others volumes, and they all laughed again.

Ginny cast her gaze over at Ron, who was talking with Harry and Charlie but casting frequent glances over at Hermione. Even across the yard she could see the look in his eyes, and it made her heart melt. A twinge of guilt rose up inside her. What right did she have to ruin the first day of their life together?

She had almost decided not to say anything, to try the "owling Dad" method, when Arthur stood and called everyone to the tables, where their food already stood waiting on plates. Ginny followed everyone to the large tables, then remembered a moment too late that she'd already told her father she wanted a moment before dinner to say something. It was too late to shush him; he'd already told everyone that she had an announcement.

Everyone looked up expectantly at her. When she saw Ron, who was sitting next to Hermione and holding her hand on top of the table, she almost chickened out, but then she saw Bill with his children, waiting for Fleur, who'd had to come late. No one had liked Fleur at first, but they all loved her now; perhaps it wouldn't be as hard as she thought for them to accept Draco- or at least, to not kill him. And besides, it was her life, and she had a right to some happiness in the form of a hefty divorce settlement and a strange attempt to prove her independence.

"I do have an announcement," she said, "and I just want to ask you- just hear me out, and try not to freak out or anything."

"It'll be fine," Ron said from his spot across the table from where Ginny was standing. He was leaning back in his chair and appeared to be in a very blithe mood. "As long you're not having Draco Malfoy's baby, I think we can handle it."

Ginny tried, she really did, but she simply couldn't keep her eyes from widening in response to his uncomfortably close guess. I need lessons from Draco in hiding my emotions, she thought, and hoped nobody had noticed her reaction.

Alas, that was not to be.

"Ginny!" Ron immediately cried out in shock and incredulity as the rest of the family stared at her.

Hermione put her hand over her heart and leaned forward as though to examine her. "Oh, Ginny," she said in a low, worried voice.

"I'm not!" Ginny cried out quickly. "I'm really not having Draco's baby, I promise." The absurdity of the sentence she had just uttered sunk in, and she covered her eyes with one hand, wondering how the conversation had taken this turn. "But it is about Draco," she forced herself to say. It was time to tell them. "My announcement is-" take a deep breath- "I'm-" look at Fred and George, they're the least likely to make a scene- "I'm married to him." There, now just sit back and wait for the pandemonium.

There was none. Silence prevailed in which she felt her heart beat hard in her chest. One- two- three- four beats, and then George spoke: "Wait, are you serious?"

Despite the tension in her chest, Ginny laughed, a quick, breathless sound. "Yes, I'm serious. It was Tuesday night." She felt a bit relieved. Everything was so still that she allowed herself to believe everyone was taking it calmly.

Unfortunately, that was not the case. After a moment, Hermione asked, in a rare fit of irrationality, "Are you sure?"

That was the catalyst. Instantly the air was full of the sound of several dozen Weasleys shouting and arguing and firing questions at her.

"Did you know about this?" Ron demanded of Hermione, who shrugged helplessly.

"You never said a word to us," Arthur Weasley observed, rather unhelpfully, but considering the circumstances Ginny thought that wasn't surprising.

"Were you invited?" Charlie asked Bill. "I wasn't invited."

"He went to our school," Angelina was explaining to Hannah, who was a Muggle, "and he was in the Order. He was kind of a jerk then. I don't know, maybe he's changed."

"Did you know about this?" Ron fired off at Luna, looking every moment more angry. She gave him her trademark moony gaze in response.

"You're already married," Molly said sadly. "There were so many things I always meant to tell you before you got married, so many little inspirational thoughts and household tips to share . . ."

"I still want to hear them, Mom," Ginny cut in desperately. "I'd love your marriage advice."

"No, I wasn't invited, but I don't think anyone was," said Bill.

"Congrats," Fred said to Ginny with a grin, and she was very relieved to see he didn't seem upset. "With all our tricks, we've never put the family into this much of a tizzy before."

"Did you know about this?" Ron said a third time, sharply, this time to Harry. Ginny didn't see his reaction, because she hadn't looked at him just yet.

"Based on the way everyone's acting, I'm not sure I would invite this zoo," Hannah commented with a grin.

"Best wishes," Luna said cordially. "I'm going to catch you a Grumphar for a wedding gift. They ward off bad luck in marriage. I think you're going to need it."

"You may be right," Ginny said, casting a glance at Ron, whose face was contorted into a rather strange expression. Hermione was talking to him, trying to calm him down.

"I didn't know you even knew Draco Malfoy," her father said. "Besides through the Order, I mean."

"Can I have your mashed potatoes?" Bill asked Charlie. The oldest Weasleys apparently didn't see what all the fuss was about.

"Ginny told us on Tuesday that they were friends," Hermione offered.

"But she told us they were just friends," Ron cut in sharply. "And she told us she was definitely not marrying him."

"You're so cute when you insult my family," George said fondly to Hannah.

"Actually, I told you he hadn't proposed to me at the party," Ginny said. "That was true. There was no proposal, really; we just sort of talked about it and decided to get married. But I didn't lie to you," she added quickly, looking at Hermione and Ron. "When I talked to you on Tuesday, we hadn't decided to yet."

"No, but you can have my roll if I can have your carrots," Bill said, jabbing his fork at Charlie's plate.

"I thought you said you got married Tuesday night," Molly said.

Ginny blanched. "I did. Umm . . . as soon as we'd decided, we eloped."

"That's sweet of you," Hannah laughed, looking at George.

"That's not sweet!" Ron half shouted. "Ginny just eloped with Draco Malfoy! What, were you ashamed to tell your family because you knew what scum he is?"

"No, I didn't tell my family because I thought you might, you know, throw a fit or something," Ginny shot back in irritation. "The way you all are reacting now, can you blame me for eloping and not telling you?"

Harry suddenly spoke, and Ginny, finally looking at him, saw his expression was somewhat blank. "I owled you Tuesday night and you never replied. Were you so angry because of what I wrote that you hurried off and married Draco to- to what, to spite me?"

"Don't think like that," Ginny tried to soothe him. What else could she say, when his accusation was perfectly true?

"It's a done deal," Charlie announced to Bill, snatching his older brother's roll from his plate.

"Yes, it's a done deal," Ginny agreed, "so there's no use in talking about it now. I'm married, and yes, it's to Draco Malfoy, but I'm- happy-" there was only a slight hesitation, which came from her surprise in realizing that was to some extent true- "so deal with it and start addressing your letters to Ginny Malfoy, Malfoy Manor, Wiltshire."

"Who's Ginny Malfoy?" asked one of Bill's little girls.

"The crazy one with the red hair," Charlie answered helpfully.

"Oh, so you're Ginny Malfoy," Fleur said to Bill with a laugh. "Crazy wiz red 'air. It must be you."

"If you're so happy," Ron shot back, "why isn't this wonderful husband with you to make this blessed announcement? Where's Draco now?"

Ginny didn't know how to answer this, but she intended to give it a good try. Before she could speak, though, she was spared the trouble.

"Right here," said a very familiar voice, and with a rush of gratitude Ginny turned to see her husband walking through the back gate with Fleur. Fleur flew over to her beloved children, and Draco walked confidently through the sudden silence to stand by Ginny and take her hand. She supposed it was only for looks, to convince the family, but she still felt incredibly grateful to have the extra support.

"Thanks for coming," she whispered warmly, turning to him. He seemed a little embarrassed to have her attention fixed on him like that, but he smiled mildly. She could see him throw a wary glance toward Ron, but luckily Hermione had tightened her grip around his hand- Ginny could see the whiteness of her knuckles- apparently as a warning that he was not to make a scene.

The silence stretched for a long, uncomfortable while.

"So, Draco," Arthur finally broke in, "you're my new son-in-law, I guess."

"Yes sir," Draco replied. "I know this is a little unexpected, but I hope you can all get used to the idea."

"So you work at the Ministry, right?" Arthur asked, and Ginny couldn't help smiling. Her father had always grilled her boyfriends; she couldn't deny him the pleasure of grilling her husband.

"Yes, sir, in the Department of International Cooperation."

"Very impressive," Arthur commented, and Ginny knew he was impressed by both her husband's high position in the Ministry and by his polite deference. Arthur Weasley had always secretly enjoyed being called sir. "And you'll be living in the family home in Wiltshire, I take it?"

"Yes, sir. Malfoy Manor has been in the family for centuries, and I intend to keep it that way."

"Indeed. So, you want a family? You and Ginny intend to have children?"

Caught off his guard, Draco gave a funny strangled cough. George laughed. "Da, they just got married. Give them time to settle down before you start bringing that up."

Molly had been looking back and forth between Ginny, Draco, Ron, and Harry all the while. From the regretful look on her face, Ginny could see how disappointed her mother was that Harry would not become a permanent fixture in the family, but she also seemed hopeful that her daughter's marriage would turn out to be a blessing. Finally, her mind apparently made up, she approached Draco. "If this makes you happy, then I'm happy for you both," she said. "Welcome to the family!"

Draco nodded and reached out his hand as though to shake hers. Not noticing or not caring, Molly stepped up to Draco and threw her arms around him, surrounding him in Weasley-style motherly love and a handmade multi-colored shawl. Ginny had never seen Draco look so surprised, and she couldn't help it. She started laughing. In a moment she saw her father and older brothers start in. In the end, the only people not grinning were the Trio, though Hermione was giving Ginny an encouraging look.

When Molly finally released him, freeing to Draco to turn at Ginny and give her a rather significant look that only made her laugh, the family matriarch bustled over to one of the tables and conjured up a chair and plate for Draco. It was far away from Ron and Harry's seats; Ginny was unsure if her mother did this on accident or if she knew what might happen if Draco had dinner so near his mortal enemies. Ginny pulled him to this chair and sat down in the one next to it. It was only then she realized she'd been holding Draco's hand all this while. She released it quickly, then smiled at her husband and began to eat. After a long few moments of looking alternately at his plate, his wife, and his new in-laws, Draco began to eat, too.

Most of the family seemed to have recovered from her news, except of course the Trio. Looking at the way Ron was looking at her and Draco, Ginny was pretty sure the only reasons he hadn't come over to beat Draco up were that he didn't want to make a scene at a family dinner and that Hermione still had a vise-like grip on his arm.

Draco and Ginny were sitting on a table with Bill and Charlie and their families, for which Ginny was grateful. Bill and Fleur talked calmly to Draco the whole meal, and fortunately were wise enough to keep the conversation fixed on anything but the marriage. Draco talked back cordially, but Ginny could tell he wasn't really comfortable, so as soon as dessert was over she informed her family that they had to leave. No one really objected, so she hugged her parents goodbye, and Draco shook their hands.

They walked over to the back fence, where the sound of their Apparition wouldn't bother anyone, and Ginny was beginning to believe they'd made a clean getaway when she heard a voice behind her.

"Hold it, Malfoy." It was Ron, of course, who'd gotten up from his chair and followed them, Hermione and Harry trailing behind. Luna wandered over a few moments later.

"I'm sorry, can I help you?" Draco said boredly. He didn't sound angry at all, so perhaps he wouldn't provoke Ron too much.

"I- she- you-" Ron started fuming.

"Congratulations, Ronald. I see you've finally learned your pronouns."

"You smug, arrogant little deheehmm," Ron said, his last words mercifully muffled by Hermione's hand over his mouth.

"Say kitatch; you'll feel better," Luna suggested serenely.

"Say what?" Draco asked.

"What? Oh, 'kitatch?' That's a curse in the language of the midget bat people of the south Pacific."

"Is she for real?" Draco asked, and Ginny elbowed him.

"All right," Hermione cut in, also looking strangely at Luna, "this is hardly the time or the place for any sort of outburst or . . . cursing in any language . . . or anything. Ginny, Draco, have a nice evening. Ron, Harry, come on." And she dragged Ron bodily away.

He got free of her censuring hand once and shouted, "You haven't heard the last of this, Malfoy!" Fortunately, he was too far away by that point to hear Draco's caustic reply. Luna nodded her goodbye, then serenely took Harry's arm and led him back to the porch.

The second Luna and Harry were out of earshot, Ginny smacked Draco's arm. "What did I say about not antagonizing Ron?" she demanded.

"Probably something," he agreed.

She glared at him. "I do not want you fighting with him."

Draco frowned. "He started it," he said a bit peevishly.

"Honestly, Draco Malfoy, you are twenty-three years old," Ginny replied sharply. "You should be past all of this."

"Why are you taking his side?" Draco demanded.

"Don't talk back to me!" Ginny warned. "Listen. I do not ever want to hear of you fighting again. Do you understand me?"

"But Ginny-"

"I said, do you . . . understand . . ." She trailed off, paused, and covered her face with her hand. "I sound just like my mother.

Draco grimaced a little. "That's a terrifying thought. I thought dealing with one Weasley woman was bad enough."

"You're hysterically funny, Draco. Did I ever tell you you're hysterically funny?" He made a face at her, which she promptly returned, then fished out her wand. The memory of what had just happened slowed her hand, and she turned to Draco. "Thanks for coming, by the way."

Draco immediately replied in a singsong voice, "You're welcome, Mother."

"Shut up, Draco."

He smiled cheekishly at her, then Apparated.

When the couple reached Malfoy Manor, they were immediately met by Bernard the house elf. "Master and Mistress Malfoy, there is a caller for you in the parlor. He's been here for nearly an hour."

"Who is it?" Ginny asked.

"Severus Snape," Bernard replied with a bow.

Beside Ginny, Draco groaned. "Snape's here, already?" He made a face. "Kitatch."

. . . . . .
Leave a Review