Something to Believe

Chapter Eleven: Hexed

---

Hermione was quietly reading a small stack of parchments that Draco handed her. He was leaning against the wall, watching her closely for any sort of reaction. And Ginny was settled in an armchair, with her knitting, listening to Ron and Harry.

"Merlin, it's nice to be here. It's almost like home, now it's been cleaned up," said Ron, tossing a ball of yarn to Harry. He caught it deftly and threw it back.

"Yeah. Besides, nothing beats a hot shower and a home-cooked meal, eh?"

"Right. But that couldn't be helped, really. Out there..." Ron trailed off, arm raised to throw the ball, glancing at Ginny. She resolutely continued with Charlie's scarf.

After a few moments of silence, Harry leaned forward in his seat and turned to Draco.

"Malfoy, I've been wondering something." Draco stiffened and turned his attention to Harry, who continued, "What about your Dark Mark?"

Draco instinctively grasped his left forearm. "What of it?"

Hermione looked up from the parchments and Ron turned a silent glare at Draco, dropping the yarn into Ginny's basket. Ginny focused, numbly, on her knitting, refusing to look up.

"Doesn't it react when Voldemort -"

Draco winced at Harry's use of the Dark Lord's name.

"Of course it does, Potter. It burns when he summons Death Eaters. It's especially painful when you don't answer his call. But after a few minutes, it sort of fades away, when the meeting starts."

"So, you know when meetings are being held. Based on your Mark?" Harry asked angrily as he stood, menacingly.

"Yes, I do know." Draco replied, his voice cut with irritation and barely contained anger. Ginny glanced up at his words. He crossed his arms defensively and pushed away from the wall.

"And you haven't told me about it?" Harry nearly shouted, taking a step toward Draco.

"It's not like you've been around for me to tell, have you, Potter? Did it ever occur to you that everything does not have to be about Harry Potter? Did you consider that I might have told McGonagall instead? Or Mr. Weasley, who's in a better position to do something about it, than you?"

Harry glared at him.

"So have you?"

Ginny watched Draco step towards Harry, towering a half a foot over him. "Have I, what?"

"Told McGonagall or Mr. Weasley!"

Draco stared down at Harry for a long moment. Hermione stood behind Draco, ready to react, and Ron stood as well, coming behind Harry. Ginny set aside her knitting and moved to stand between Harry and Draco. She faced Harry, calmly.

"Alright, that's enough," she said, gently, pushing Harry back a step.

"What if I told you that I haven't told them?"

Ginny whirled around to glare at Draco, exasperatedly.

"Oh for goodness sake, Harry, he's been telling Kingsley Shacklebolt, alright? Every time he gets a summons, he sends a Patronus to Shacklebolt," Hermione explained. "Now enough of this nonsense. You two - " she pointed at Harry and Ron, " - go play elsewhere, we have work to finish here," she waved her parchments, indicating their task.

Grudgingly, Ron and Harry left. Ginny stood in front of Draco, watching him carefully. He seemed to sag with relief, his eyes closing.

Hermione sat back down at the desk and shuffled through the parchments.

"How did you know that, Hermione? About Shacklebolt?" Ginny asked, looking from Draco to Hermione.

"Draco told me. Last time, when Ron and I came around."

Ginny watched Draco withdraw into himself, as he sat in the chair by the window, near the desk.

"I had no idea. You never said you were in any pain."

He shrugged. "Usually happens late at night, when we've both retired to our rooms."

"You never thought to mention it, otherwise?"

Draco frowned at her. "What's with you? You're acting like Potter."

"Well, I have a right to kn- "

"Stop saying that, because you don't have the right to know. You aren't in the Order. You're not meant to know things like that," he said through gritted teeth.

Hermione was observing them, the notes forgotten once again.

"Not - not -," Ginny sputtered, angrily, "Not meant to know - but - "

"Stay out of it! You are not to have any part of Order business, and that's final."

"Excuse me?" Ginny stood in front of him, arms crossed indignantly. "As soon as I come of age, I will do as I please, and my parents or brothers won't be able to stop me!"

"No."

"What do you mean, no?"

"I said, no. You will not be joining the Order." And Draco said it with such finality, that Ginny had no response. She simply spun on her heel and ran up to her room and slammed the door.

---

Soft humming woke Ginny in the morning. It was her mother. She was folding laundry, putting it away in the cupboard.

"Mum? You're still here?"

"Well, I stopped in early this morning. Was supposed to take Harry, Hermione, and Ron, to the Burrow last night. But Hermione was busy working with Draco most of the night, and your brother and Harry refused to leave her here with him alone."

Ginny sat up, angrily.

"And they aren't bothered about leaving me alone with him, are they?"

Molly smiled and kept folding.

"They're packing their things, we're leaving for the Burrow after breakfast."

"Can I come?"

Molly paused to look at her daughter. She sat on the edge of Ginny's bed and took her hand.

"Love, you need to stay here and help Draco with your potion. Hermione says that they made some major breakthroughs last night and it's finally ready to be brewed."

Ginny nodded silently, staring down at her quilt.

"I've just needed to get out. I'm so couped up here. I don't know when I last saw the open sky. I can't even remember what it's like to be on a broom."

Molly patted her hand and smiled.

"I suppose you can go out, time to time, but no further than the park down the street...and perhaps only if you take Draco, too."

"Aw, Mum," Ginny whined.

"Well, Draco's going out to the apothecary for supplies. Perhaps he'll let you come along."

"I doubt it," Ginny mumbled, picking out a dress to wear.

"And why is that? He'll have Tonks as an escort. It shouldn't be a problem."

"We had a bit of an argument last night."

"Is that so? Hermione mentioned something of the sort. She said that you'd be angry with him, though, not the other way around."

"Can you just ask for me? Please?"

"Fine, you get dressed and ready, and come on down. And bring your cloak, it's been cold lately."

---

When Ginny entered the kitchen, a cloak in her arms, she heard her mother asking Draco if Ginny could accompany him when he went out.

"No, I don't think so, Mrs. Weasley. She'd be a liability."

"I would not!" Ginny growled, as she plopped down across from him.

"Yes, you would. Besides I don't need your help with buying supplies. I know what we need."

"It's OK, Draco," Tonks, who was sporting a long, black ponytail, shrugged. She tucked her wand behind her ear and grinned, "I don't mind if she joins us."

"See, it's no problem. I'm coming," Ginny said, starting to shovel porridge into her mouth. Draco scowled at her.

Molly rummaged in her pocket a moment and withdrew a small pouch. She handed it to Draco with a meaningful look.

"From McGonagall," she said. He nodded and pocketed it. A few minutes passed in silence, while Ginny finished her food.

As soon as Harry and Ron entered the room, Draco stood, declaring it was time to go. While he and Tonks discussed modes of transportation, Ginny gave a quick hug and kiss to her mum. She hugged Ron and he kissed the top of her head. She pulled on her cloak, as Harry approached her. He hugged her lightly and pressed a kiss to her cheek.

She glanced at Draco, and she saw that he was watching her, his annoyance growing. She blushed and followed Tonks from the room.

---

"Here, Malfoy," Tonks handed him a black bowler hat and a pair of sunglasses. He mumbled and took them. He shoved the hat on his head and his hair changed from gleaming blond to jet black. He put on the sunglasses and if she hadn't already known it was him, she would not have recognized him.

"Just take my arm, and we'll be off," Tonks grinned at Ginny. "We'll see you there, Malfoy." He nodded and with a graceful turn, he was gone. Tonks spun as well, and Ginny felt the painful, uncomfortable squeeze that was associated with apparation.

She found herself in the courtyard behind the Leaky Cauldron. She gasped for breath, while she looked up to see a dark and cloudy sky. The air was very still and felt cold against her cheeks.

"Looks like it might rain, we'll need to hurry," Draco said, as he tapped the bricks of the wall.

They walked quickly to the apothecary, and Ginny noticed that the streets were nearly empty.

"Do you think we can visit the twins' shop?" she asked, directing her question to Tonks.

"Don't think so, hon, I'm afraid this trip is strictly business, remember."

She nodded and tried to keep up with Draco's long strides.

He was already in the apothecary when Ginny and Tonks were just approaching the storefront.

Ginny watched as Draco silently pulled a piece of parchment from his pocket. He checked the list and handed it to the clerk. The clerk nodded and started arranging the supplies. He set a large, bronze cauldron on the counter, and started adding specific amounts of ingredients to small brown paper pouches. The pouches were placed in the cauldron, along with vials of strange colored liquids. The clerk referred to the list once more and added a few strange utensils and measuring cups.

Finally, the clerk handed a receipt to Draco and he paid using the small pouch from McGonagall.

Draco grabbed the handle of the cauldron and ushered Tonks and Ginny back onto the street.

"Now follow me, and stay close. We've one more stop to make."

---

Ginny had a sinking feeling in her stomach when Draco guided them around a corner, through an alleyway, and into Knockturn Alley. Tonks did not look surprised, but she kept close behind Draco, her hand buried in the pocket of her robe, most likely wrapped around her wand. Her Auror-trained eyes flitted everywhere, into every corner and shadow.

As Ginny struggled to keep up, she felt the first few raindrops on her face.

"It's starting to rain," she commented. Tonks smiled at her.

"Thanks for the weather report, Weasley," Draco replied, dryly, while covering the cauldron with his cloak. He turned a corner, shuffled past a strange-looking wizard and entered a small unlabeled shop.

Ginny noticed that when he stepped through the door, his hair had reverted back to blond. Tonks looked a bit worried, but quietly remained guard at the door. She looked up and down the small alley, and finally she turned her attention around the shop.

Ginny stood behind Draco at the counter, hiding against his tall frame. Draco removed his sunglasses, and placed a parchment on the counter.

"Ah, Master Malfoy, good to see you. It's always a pleasure to serve your family." The clerk said with an oily smile, as he picked up the parchment. He nodded and started to pack a few strange ingredients. He set a few items on the counter and smiled wickedly again, as he eyed Ginny and Tonks.

"Will you be needing anything else, Master Malfoy?" Draco shook his head.

The clerk held up a hand and went into the backroom. He came back with a small object in his hand.

"Perhaps something like this?" He held it out in front of Draco, and Ginny peaked around to see that it was a small, ornate dagger. Despite it's frail appearance, it was menacing...it's curvy double-edged blade seemed to gleam in the cold light of the shop. Draco stared at it for a long time. He finally shook himself.

"No, that will be all for us - And no need to send a bill, I'll be paying now," Draco said coolly, as he drew the pouch from his pocket. And Draco exchanged coins for the receipt the clerk handed him.

"Thank you for your patronage, Master Malfoy. Hope to see you again, soon." The clerk waved at Ginny as Draco stuffed the ingredients into his cloak pocket. Draco put a protective arm around Ginny and pushed her toward the door.

Tonks cast a charm over their heads, which helped a little in deflecting the rain. They made their way down the path, following Draco back to Diagon Alley. A flash of lightening and a loud clap of thunder made Ginny jump. She swore she saw several shadows shift.

"Something isn't right," Tonks whispered, tugging on Draco's sleeve. He slowed to a stop and Ginny huddled closer to him.

"What is it? Let's just get out of - " Before he could finish his thought, he was hexed from behind. He dropped to the ground, his bowler hat rolling away.

Ginny pulled out her wand, and shot a spell back at the shadow. The person collapsed with a shriek. Tonks fired another spell at them, and grabbed Ginny's arm and pulled her down into a crouch. She started fumbling with in the pocket of her robe.

"Oh, Merlin. I hoped it wouldn't come to this. Ginny grab his arm, and hold my hand." Ginny did so, just as Tonks withdrew a small package of Every Flavour Beans and muttered "Activo."

Ginny felt a shudder run through her body and a tight pull at her navel. When it stopped, she looked around. They were in the shade of a tree at a small abandoned muggle park, near the Order Headquarters. She watched as Tonks bent over Draco's unconscious form. He was still tightly clutching the bronze cauldron.

"Looks like a stunner. If we can get him back to Number 12, he'll be alright. Come on," Tonks handed the cauldron to Ginny. She took it and pulled it under her cloak. She watched as Tonks cast Ennervate on Draco's still form. He slowly stirred and clutched at his head.

"What happened? Where's Ginny?" he groaned as he sat up. Tonks helped him stand. Ginny's heart sped up slightly, hearing Draco ask for her so quickly and urgently.

"We need to get to Headquarters, it's just half a block, think you can make it?" He nodded and they quickly made it back to Headquarters.

---

Draco sat heavily at the kitchen table, unceremoniously dumping the potions supplies in front of him. Ginny knelt beside him and grabbed his wrist. While Ginny examined Draco's eyes and felt his pulse, he irritably tried pushing her hands away. She gave him a sharp glare, one that she'd learned from her mother, and he grudgingly grew still.

"I'm fine."

Tonks rushed about with fixing tea.

"Looks like that slimey clerk called for some back-up," Tonks said, and as she gestured a bit wildly, a teacup hit the floor with a loud crack. "Oh damn," she mumbled as she repaired it. "I should have suspected it when he disappeared into the backroom," Tonks finished.

Ginny sat next to Draco and reached for the supplies, intending to sort through them. His hand snaked forward and grabbed her wrist, stopping her.

"Don't touch any of that. I want Tonks to go over it first and make sure nothing is wrong."

Ginny nodded.

"Who do you suppose that was? In the shadows? Ginny got them pretty good with what looked like her infamous Bat-Bogey Hex," Tonks smiled, appreciatively as Ginny just shrugged. She saw Draco flinch involuntarily out of the corner of her eye.

"I just reacted. That's what came naturally."

Tonks sniggered. As she handed them each a teacup, she said "Well as far as everyone else is concerned, it was me that cast that spell, got it? Ginny's still underage, and we wouldn't want to get the Ministry started on that nonsense."

She proceeded to wave her wand over the supplies, particularly careful with the packages from Knockturn Alley.

"These look alright. Any idea who it might have been?" she asked Draco.

"It was definitely a Death Eater. They know by now that I've deserted them. Whoever it was, probably wanted to catch me and take me back to the Dark Lord as a prize."

"Well, I'm going back to see if they're still lying there. And I'm taking my partner to arrest that shopkeeper. He had several illegal enchantments around his shop..."

Tonks morphed into her usual appearance, sporting a mousy brown bob, and waved goodbye. She made her way back to the foyer, where they heard the familiar clatter of the umbrella stand. The front door slammed shut behind her.

---

Draining his teacup, Draco stood and gathered the supplies from the table. If Ginny hadn't been watching closely, she'd have missed him swaying slightly.

"Are you sure you're alright?"

He shrugged and started shakily for the door.

Ginny jumped from her seat, putting the teacups in the sink. She ran to follow.

"I wanted to talk to you," she said as they entered the study. With a wave of his wand, a fire burned slowly in the hearth.

"So talk."

He set about clearing the desk of parchments, quills, and books. He arranged them all, except for the stack of papers that Hermione had been looking over, and levitated them with his wand, sending it to a nearby bookshelf.

Ginny watched Draco arrange the contents of the cauldron. He took inventory, seeming to organize the ingredients in the order they were needed in the potion.

Suddenly he sat down, with a groan, and rubbed his temples.

"Headache? That's a usual side effect of a stunner," Ginny said. "Want me to go find you a potion for that?"

"No. I'll get it," he stood slowly and swayed. She saw a fine sheen of sweat on his forehead.

"Why don't you sit a minute? I'll go grab it."

She ran up the stairs to the attic and rummaged in the cupboard. She found the appropriate vial and brought it back down to the study.

Ginny returned to find Draco's face was gray and he was slumped slightly in his chair. She handed him the potion and he drank the dose slowly.

A few moments passed, and the color returned to his face. He sighed and handed the empty vial back to Ginny.

"I wasn't such a liability today after all, was I? I managed to save your arse back there." Ginny couldn't help but gloat. Draco looked up at her with tired eyes. He shrugged.

"I wouldn't be so excited. That clerk saw you and word will get around that I was seen in Knockturn Alley with a Weasley."

"Worried about soiling your reputation, are you?" Ginny asked, crossing her arms and narrowing her eyes at him.

"More worried about soiling yours, Weasley. Think about it. The little Weasley girl was seen with Draco Malfoy. They'll probably try locating you to see if you could lead them to me."

"The Burrow! And we have to warn my parents!"

"Don't be daft. Your house is protected. Nobody would be able to find the place. And your parents will be fine... they know what they're doing."

Ginny nodded. She leaned against the wall, her arms still hugging herself.

"Are you starting with the potion now?"

"I can't. Still waiting on some ingredients. They'll be arriving this evening, I imagine."

Draco reached for a stack of parchments and started shuffling through. A few minutes passed in silence.

"Listen, I wanted to explain about Harry -"

"I certainly do not need to hear it. What you do with your boyfriend -"

"Harry's not my boyfriend. Not anymore. He ended it, quite inappropriately, at Dumbledore's funeral," she scowled at the memory.

Draco seemed to ignore this and continue shuffling through the parchments.

"And I don't know what he thought he was doing last night. First he calls our relationship off, disappears without telling me what he's even doing, and then he comes back and wants to resume as if nothing happened. Anyway, I was trying to keep my distance from Harry. I just wanted you to know that."

"Whatever, Weasley. I don't care to know about your love life. Or lack thereof. I have work to do."

"I thought you said you couldn't start until you get the rest of the -"

"I know what I said. Would you just stop hovering about? Go... knit, or something."

Ginny narrowed her eyes and pushed off the wall. She stood with her hands on her hips, reminiscent of Molly Weasley.

"I'll have you know that I will not be cast aside like that. I only knit to pass the time, not because it's all I can do!"

"You said it yourself, Weasley, you aren't allowed to use magic. So for now, knitting is all you can do. And a fat lot that'll help the war effort."

"But when I turn of age -"

"With any luck, when you turn of age, the war will be long over."

"You're forgetting the fact that I saved your life today!"

"If you're out to prove that you can fight, then yes, I already know that, Weasley." He flung the parchments onto the desk and stood to his full height. He loomed over her, narrowing his gray eyes. "I remember what it's like to be on the receiving end of your wand."

"Good! And don't you forget it!"

"I thought you didn't want to fight in this war, in the first place!" Draco growled.

"Well, I don't," she replied, softening her expression. Ginny didn't think he'd remember something like that. "But I also hate being useless. I hate feeling helpless!"

"You're helping me with this potion. Need I remind you, the one that's been designed specifically for you. I hate to admit it, but I wouldn't have been able to finish the recipe if it weren't for Granger. She helped me finalize the potion. And you're going to help me make it."

"Why are you doing this for me?"

"Who said I was doing it for you?"

"Well it's certainly not for your own selfish needs, is it?"

He shrugged, gracefully. "I just realized that it was something that needed to be done. And I was the one to do it."

"Why a potion? Why not a spell?"

"A spell's effects have a sudden onset and usually the effects disappear. A potion can run deeper, affecting your whole body, and depending on the potion, the effects can be permanent."

"And you'll be able to permanently remove traces of Tom from my soul? Without hurting me?"

Draco looked at her for a long second, seeming to take her in completely. "That's right. Without hurting you. By the way, that was the tricky part. And that's the part where Granger was able to help me."

"I'll have to thank her, then," Ginny mumbled, while rolling her eyes.

The front door slammed open and closed, and even from the study, they could hear loud laughter echoing through the house.

"Ah, that'll be them with the ingredients."

"Who?"

"The twins."

Author notes: Thanks for the reviews! God, I love those reviews!

Leave a Review