Chapter 8

“Congratulations Professor Malfoy.”

Draco narrowed his eyes at Lavender Thomas as he entered the Divination classroom. He thrust his hands into his pockets, which itched to strangle the life out of Lavender. She had become quite strange after becoming the Divinations Professor, always sputtering nonsense.

“What pray tell, am I supposed to be so damn happy about!” Are you congratulating me on losing my wife? Draco flung his cloak against the wall as he joined the others at the large cauldron in the center of the room. Professor Longbottom muttered a spell and Draco’s wrinkled cloak floated neatly to a hook on the wall. Nervous glances were exchanged between the teachers wondering what had possessed McGonagall to invite Draco to the viewing.

Neville approached his friend with concern.

Draco halted him, “Professor Longbottom, if you want to ask me how I am, -Don’t bother.”

Neville hesitated at his bitter tone of voice. Draco Malfoy, the epitome of cool, calm and collected was anything but. Draco looked as if he hadn’t slept in days, adding weary lines to his once young looking face. He weighed his options. Should he just leave Draco alone? What kind of friend was Neville if he did? Maybe Draco thought he could deal with his problems on his own but Neville thought otherwise. If Draco didn’t let out his feelings soon, they would erupt in a horrific mess.

“When you feel like talking, Malfoy – I’m here.” Neville offered a tentative pat then stepped back. He had done his part; the rest was up to Draco.

Draco nodded curtly staring intently at the smoking cauldron waiting for the conference to begin. He was immersed in thoughts of Virginia, not noticing when Professor McGonagall stepped beside him.

“Professor Malfoy I’m glad you could attend. Perhaps I could have a word with you before this begins.” The headmistress led Draco to a dusty side room covered with ancient Astrological charts. Minerva McGonagall motioned for Draco to sit. Like a good pupil he did just that, arms folded on the desk. Many changes had occurred in Draco Malfoy. It felt like only yesterday that she was scolding the young Malfoy for fighting with Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley.

“I suppose you are wondering why I invited you to watch the proceedings.”

Staring straight ahead Draco looked past the headmistress, but she continued. “Rumors are flying about Hogwarts, not just among the students. I am ashamed to say I have heard tidbits of gossip from the staff.”

“I can’t say that I care.” Draco lied as he thought about the newspaper incident in his potions class. He had lost complete control in front of class and came very close to hurting his own student.

“Well I, for one, care a great deal.” Minerva pulled up a chair sitting across from her former pupil, now her peer. “Draco not many people know that you have contributed to the Order. Your research helped us rid the globe of the last of the Deatheaters. If it wasn’t for your assistance, Harry Potter might still be a memory.”

Draco let out a hollow laugh. Would the return of his wife to the Great Harry Potter be his reward? He had imagined in better times of growing old and grey with his dear redhead. The thought of watching her with another turned and twisted his stomach. If only he could do it all over again, Draco thought. If only he had noticed Ginny at Hogwarts before Harry Potter finally did. What if they had been able to have children?

“Ronald Weasley informed me that you refused to attend the informational session at the Ministry. Aurors will be acknowledged for their contributions in the rescue of Harry in which you are one.”

“I don’t care for a meaningless award. I was just doing my job, being honored for heroics wasn’t part of my plan.” Draco stood up, pushing his chair in. So this was what Lavender was congratulating me for. He could care less about the award. As soon as he received the award, he would flush it down the toilet. Yes, that’s exactly what he would do. If I could redo everything, I wouldn’t help the damn Order at al!


Minerva pushed her glasses back along the bridge of her nose, “I might be getting on in years but I’m not deaf. Your nickname among the students is Professor Death Eater, is it not?”

Draco nodded, stifling for the first time in many weeks - a laugh. That was one of the nicer names he had been called. There had even been a running bet with the students as to whether Professor Malfoy was actually a vampire; this information was given to him courtesy of his beloved niece.

“Some teachers here, unfortunately think you are still in cohorts with Voldemort’s followers, I intercepted a petition regarding your removal the first time year you were here and almost every year thereafter. It is my hope that the information released today will cease all rumors.”

I highly doubt it. Draco thought to himself silently. No matter how much he tried to further himself from all things Voldemort, the more people talked. Being called a hero after the Battle of Lestrange did nothing but bring more unwanted attention to him. After years of being jealous of Harry Potter he now understood the man a bit more. Only now he wouldn’t be jealous of Harry Potter’s popularity. He wouldn’t care if the whole world knelt in worship at Potter’s feet, as long as the one person he loved didn’t.

“That is my hope as well, Headmistress.”

***

Ginny tried to gather together the remnants of her Gryffindor bravery as she sat across from Harry, in a room adjacent to the Ministry’s auditorium. There had never been a good time to tell him. The broom ride had been long and chilly with Aurors constantly surrounding Harry.

Aurors milled about the room, inside and outside ensuring the safety of the world’s most beloved Wizard. A small part of Ginny was thankful that Ron was too busy with preparations to ask how her supposed discussion with Harry had went. Ron had mistaken her silence for an admission.

“Something to drink Mrs. Potter?”

She nodded at the young Ministry official, “Thank you.” she reached for the glass of wine, fingering the long stemmed glass without taking a drink.

“Nervous?” Harry asked sitting beside her on the sofa.

Ginny took a tiny sip and proceeded to spit it out in the nearest trash receptacle, “Gods that’s disgusting!” She used to like wine but this variety tasted quite bitter. Ginny blushed to the roots of her hair, “Sorry, I guess that wasn’t so ladylike, was it? Oh,and yes, I’m quite the nervous wreck.”

Harry gave her a warming smile, “Once we put all of this mess behind us we’ll be ok. Everything will be back to the way it was. I promise.”

Don’t make promises you can’t keep Harry. It’s now or never.

“It’s a horrible mess Harry, a horrible mess!” She withdrew the cartoon picture that had hung on Harry’s hospital wall. Harry shared a questioning look with her, wondering why she had brought little James’ artwork. She unfolded the paper and laid it before Harry.

“What do you see?” her fingers shook as she pointed to the blond holding her hand. Harry wore glasses but was he really that blind? Could he not see what was right in front of him?

“My ring?” Harry held up Ginny’s left hand as if seeing it for the first time, inspecting a jewel that promised eternal love. “This isn’t my ring.”

***

“Don’t bother, they won’t come off.” Bellatrix smiled wickedly, watching the guard trying to frantically magic away her bites. Spell after spell did nothing but make the bruises on his neck turn an even deeper shade of purple.

“Bitch!” he called from beyond the bars. “My wife will kill me.”

Bellatrix chuckled softly as she slipped back into her prison robes. “Zip up your pants big boy or you’ll get fired before you meet your death” It had been a long time since she had been with such a willing partner. All she had to do was flash her eyes and he would do her bidding. She had gleaned much information from the guard in her short stay at Azkaban, but there was much more she needed. Bellatrix pressed herself against the prison bars licking her lips seductively. Already she saw the signs of his response. It just proved her theory. Men were such weak creatures.

“Come here love, I’m not done with you.” She called from her cell but the guard refused to move. “Come here or I will cry rape. You don’t want me to do that, do you?” She watched with smug delight as he chanted Alohamora.

“I could lose my job.” He said weakly as Bellatrix undid his pants. Bellatrix looked at him with delicious anticipation. Making a man fall to his knees made her feel powerful. In a matter of minutes, his hands were wrapped around her dark tresses. The guard begged her for more as their encounter became more intense. She writhed beneath him, filled with more rage than passion. Just this once, she would let him think he was dominant. He was calling her name now, just like many had done before. Pleasure blinded him as he moved erratically. She laughed at his stupidity.

“Bellatrix!” he screamed as the green light engulfed him. Casually she tossed him away, once again donning her robes and pocketing his wand.

“Can’t say it hasn’t been fun!” she said to the lifeless man lying on the floor. She chanted a spell transfiguring her prison garb into something more befitting a free woman. Bellatrix kicked the body out of her way as she walked out of her prison cell. “I have a family reunion to attend.”
Leave a Review