Who knew happily-ever-after could have an expiration date? New beginnings are hard, but when they happen in the middle of your life, they're infinitely more so.
Category: Works in Progress
Rating: Sorta Naughty
Characters: Arthur Weasley, Draco Malfoy, Ginny Weasley, Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Lucius Malfoy, Molly Weasley, Narcissa Malfoy, Neville Longbottom, Other Characters, Ron Weasley
Compliant with: Fully compliant
Era: Post-Hogwarts
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance
Warnings: None
Completed: No
Series: None

Chapters: 7 | Word count: 22892 | Read count: 37792 | Published: Aug 02, 2007 | Updated: Mar 17, 2010
[Report This]

Story notes: Preface: I don't hate Harry. I think it is way too easy to make this fic DH-compliant by killing him off, or having someone strike up an affair or turn him into a callous, disillusioned former hero struggling to regain the limelight. Among other reasons, I loathe adultery and I really don't want to vilify him here, which narrows my options a bit. On the other hand, I am annoyed by the constraints that epilogue put on us poor D/G fans, and that means I'm going to have my revenge with caffeine, a keyboard and a dash of Draco. Hah! Take that, Rowling!

I think Harry's written in canon as being incredibly self-centered and overprotective- it follows that if he has to keep Ginny in an ivory tower to ensure he never loses her, that's what he'll do. Practical, in a way, but I wanted to examine what's left when the kids leave that tower and you suddenly realize the person sitting across from you at the table is a total stranger.

1. Chapter 1 (Reviews - 48) 3006 words

It's *GASP* Deathly Hallows compliant, eye-gougingly trite epilogue and all. That means there's a fair bit of Ginny-Harry interaction (mostly in the beginning), but it's not of the happy or romantic sort, I can promise you that. I can also swear that D/G will prevail in this story.

[clambers onto soapbox] Oh, JK Rowling, how disappointed I am. Your final words in a historically popular series that millions of little girls and boys read with wide-eyed trust are that seven years of hopelessly pining over someone that shunts you to the side and treats you like window dressing is simply the prelude to a long and happy marriage.

Am I happy I followed the series to its conclusion? Undoubtedly. Would I still like to give a woman with two failed marriages under her belt a good slap for propagating the "Wait Long Enough and Your Unrequited Longing Will Be Rewarded" myth? You'd better believe it! [/soapbox rant]

2. Chapter 2 (Reviews - 27) 2550 words

A big thank you to the lovely jandjsalmon for the speedy beta.

3. Chapter 3 (Reviews - 26) 3481 words

I am astounded at the wonderful reception this fic has gotten so far. Thank you all so much for the fantastic, thoughtful reviews you've left me! And for the Harry haters (yes, Pud, I'm looking at you), I'm so glad I could write him as a sympathetic character that's (at least a little) relatable. It means a lot to me.

4. Chapter 4 (Reviews - 32) 2593 words

So I believe I promised to deliver this on Christmas Eve. I lied. :P Sorry. But you'll be pleased to know that I've turned in all of my research papers and finished all my final exams. Which take priority, of course, but I feel a tiny bit bad. Hence, the sneak peek (at the end of this chapter) at a scene from some point in the future of this fic.

Amusing tidbit: Word's grammar check tries to change "housewife" to "homemaker". *snort* I have a politically correct software package. How revolting.

5. Chapter 5 (Reviews - 28) 4314 words

So this weekend got a little hectic, but here we go- the new chapter!

6. Chapter 6 (Reviews - 22) 3593 words



7. Chapter 7 (Reviews - 21) 3355 words

Right. So it's been a very, very long time, and I'll be lucky if anyone even remembers this fic. Still, I haven't abandoned it, and hopefully it's still an enjoyable read.