Chapter 2 – False Pretense




A week later, Ginny was sitting in the back of the library doing an assignment for Potions when Malfoy came strolling in. He set his bag down on the table furthest from her and slumped into one of the chairs, looking exhausted. Ginny thought that, maybe, telling off students and reporting the troublemakers to Professors was tiring.

They hadn’t talked or really seen much of each other since they were paired up, and frankly that was just how she liked it. Not seeing or speaking to Malfoy was just that way she preferred her relationship with him. Though, sadly, this time she was instructed by McGonagall to try and get along with him, for the sake of Gryffindor, as were all the other partners.

Just as she bent her head to continue her work, she heard him say, “Do you see something you like, Weaselette?”

He was standing beside her table, smirking down at her. He picked up the piece of parchment she was working on and scanned it, his gray eyes narrowing in displeasure.

“What are you--?” Ginny stammered before he set it back down.

“This is wrong,” he said, his finger sliding across the page to grab her quill. Briefly, his hand brushed her.

“What are you doing?” she finally managed.

“Correcting this atrocity,” he frowned. “What does it look like?”

“But that’s my paper!” shrieked the redhead as she stood and raised her chin defiantly, her gaze hardened. “I want you to get your filthy hands off on my things.”

“If you want a date for this dance, Weasley, I suggest you mind your attitude.”

“I didn’t ask you to be my partner. I’d gladly trade up.”

Draco blinked at her and ruffled his blond hair with one hand. “You should be glad I’ve not gone to McGonagall yet.”

“Why is that?” Ginny snapped.

He chuckled softly at her anger and flicked a piece of hair from out of her eyes. “Because having a Malfoy on your arm would improve even your popularity.”

“Don’t be such a conceited git,” Ginny said, rolling up her parchment and sticking it in her bag. “You just know if you go to switch that you’ll end up with someone worse.”

“No one could be worse than you,” Draco scoffed arrogantly.

“Not even Hermione or Luna?” challenged Ginny with a smirk of her own.

Malfoy’s sneer fell back into place. “Granger’s smart and probably more experienced than you or any of your friends – maybe I could see what she knows.”

“Don’t you…”

“And Lovegood’s not particularly too unpleasant to be around, either. I could always open her up, in more ways than one,” Draco finished, his last comment an afterthought, just to see Ginny’s face go red with anger.

“You listen to me, Malfoy,” Ginny snarled, her wand trembling in her hand as she held it up. “Don’t you dare touch them, or so help me I will kill you.”

“Such an empty threat from such a little girl,” Draco said and turned on his heel to go back to his seat.

Ginny grabbed him before he could get there. “I mean it,” she said, her lip twitching.

“I’m sure you do. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have work to do.” He pulled away from her grasp and walked away.

Ginny watched him sit down and pull out at least two rolls of parchment, grab a quill, and start writing. Scowling, the redhead grabbed her bag, swung it over her shoulder, and stormed out of the library.

Draco smirked at her retreating back. So, he had managed to ruffle her a little bit. The next few weeks would be very interesting indeed.

_____________________


“Damn,” she hissed as she reentered the common room.

Hermione and Lavender were working on something when Ginny came in. They looked up unexpectedly. “Is anything wrong?” Hermione asked.

“How are you guys doing with your partners?” Ginny questioned as she sat down beside them. Care to take Malfoy off my hands? Too bad the time limit to ‘make nice’ is up, and I’m stuck.

“Well, since this one week only thing is up, Blaise’s been a lot more content than usual. I think he was trying to get me mad at him during the week, so I would switch to someone else, but I guess I just don’t bother that easily. Why, did Malfoy do something that bugged you?”

Ginny sighed. “Well, we haven’t really talked since we were paired up, actually. Today he tried to get a rise out of me.”

“So, now you’re stuck and you’re looking for a way out?” Lavender muttered, sticking her quill beside her ear.

This vaguely reminded Ginny of someone. “Hey, how’s Harry doing with Luna?”

“They seem very cozy with each other lately,” Hermione said softly. “It’s nice, actually, that he’s happy for a change.”

“Seamus isn’t so bad,” Lavender intervened, a little bothered that no one asked.

“That’s good.” Ginny smiled faintly.

“Blaise’s really very nice,” Hermione said suddenly. “I mean, I know he’s a Slytherin and everything, but there’s just something about him. This past week with him has been very comforting.”

“Don’t say it, ‘Mione!” Ginny looked like she had just killed something. “You are not falling for him…”

Hermione stood and walked away from the other two; she turned back as she reached the entrance back to the hall. “I guess you’ll just have to wait and see.”

_____________________



She worked close beside him the entire day. They presently sat in an empty corridor, his hand resting on her knee as he read the book she held up. It had nothing to do with dancing, it was something her father had given her, and she decided he was the one she wanted to share it with.

“So, wait a minute.” Harry stopped reading for a second and blinked. “She’s part of the sky?”

Luna smiled at him and leaned to brush her lips against his cheek. She let her lips move against his ear before saying, “She’s a star, Harry. He’s been searching for her as a present to the girl he loves.”

The raven-haired boy blushed slightly as shy Luna Lovegood moved away from him, her large eyes searching his.

“That sounds like a nice story,” Harry said. He swallowed nervously and pushed a hand through his hair. “Hey, can I ask you something?”

Luna nodded.

“I know you probably don’t want to, and it’s okay if you don’t, but I was wondering if you’d go out with me.”

Luna kissed him softly and smiled against his mouth. “Yes,” she whispered. “Of course I will.”

_____________________


He bumped into her as he turned to leave, knocking himself back into the wall as he did. He smirked at her and the expression she gave him. She hadn’t heard a word.

“What’s so funny?” she asked, pushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

Draco smiled deviously at the little Weaselette and relished the pain he would inflict on her if he told.

“Well, I’ve just discovered something interesting…” he started.

“Yeah, what’s that?” Ginny asked.

“It seems that Potter has found himself a new companion.”

To his surprise, Ginny stared at him, unflinchingly, and unhurt by this announcement. “That’s really nice for him. I’m happy.”

He stared at her, unable to shake the feeling that she meant it. “You don’t like him anymore?”

“Why should I?" Ginny snapped. “He’s kind of a jerk when it comes down to it.”

Draco smirked at her. “Have you moved on?” he pried.

“From him, yes, but I haven’t been able to keep a boyfriend.”

“Is that so?” He took a step forward and grasped her chin delicately, letting his finger skim lightly over her jaw. He felt her shudder.

“Yes,” she said quietly. Their eyes locked and she took a breath.

Taking that as a sign that she wasn’t afraid of him, Draco bent his head and caught her lips in heated kiss.

_____________________

Author notes:

The book that Harry and Luna are reading, if you haven't guessed, is Stardust by Neil Gaiman.

Leave a Review