Chapter 6 – Wild Hope




Ginny Weasley slipped her wand in her pocket, gathered her books, and started off down the corridor. She pushed her long, red hair behind one ear and stopped walking as she watched Harry; he was halfway down the hall, his lips locked with Luna Lovegood. The blonde pressed herself against her boyfriend and giggled when he kissed and nipped at her neck.

The redhead scowled as she looked at them, feeling nauseated.

“You look very annoyed, Weasley. Anything I can do to ease the tension?” A pair of hands slid against her shoulders and she cringed as she whirled around.

“You…what are you doing here?” she asked quietly.

Draco smiled cheekily and leaned in. “I thought our relationship was obvious to everyone by now.”

Ginny couldn’t help but smile back as he wrapped his arms around her and brushed his lips against her hair. “Why are you watching them, love? You’re just going to get upset about the whole thing. Besides, I thought you were happy for Potter.”

“Oh, I am,” muttered Ginny.

Draco’s eyes flashed suddenly, and Ginny lifted her head to see Harry coming towards them. He didn’t look happy in the least. For a few moments, he stood still, his gaze cold.

“Ginny, what do you think you’re-?”

“I’m with my partner, Potter, do you mind?” Draco snapped tersely.

“I do mind, you git!” Harry shouted angrily. “Ginny, what’s going on?”

Ginny smiled tentatively at him and brushed a hand through her hair. “We’ve been getting close these past few weeks.” As she leaned to give Draco a kiss on the cheek, Harry paled, his hand reaching for her.

“What do you think you’re going to do?” Draco snarled, taking his wand out.

Harry’s eyes blazed as he raised his hand, wand at the ready. Something horrible would have happened if Hermione hadn’t intervened, along with Luna, at that point. Ron had grabbed Harry and pulled him back.

“It’s not worth it, mate,” he said.

“But she…” Harry snapped.

Hermione glanced at Ginny and nodded, a silent understanding passing through them. If the smartest witch in Gryffindor could be seen with a Slytherin, why couldn’t she?

“She’s allowed to date other people besides you, Harry,” said Hermione unexpectedly.

Everyone around her exchanged glances.

“Why are you doing this?” Ron asked, glaring at Malfoy.

“He is my partner.” Ginny sighed.

“In more ways than one,” Harry whispered under his breath.

Ginny stared at him, her fingers trembling against Draco’s as he stood at her side.

Luna watched her steadily as she glanced at Harry, her eyes flickering with something harsh.

“How dare you!” Ginny snarled, breaking away from the blond boy. “The point of this dance is to have inter-house cooperation. I’ve been with him for a few weeks, and I can honestly say it’s been nice.”

Draco smiled, and Harry found himself becoming increasingly jealous by the flirtatious grin that traitor was giving his --

She isn’t yours anymore, Harry.

Harry turned away abruptly and grabbed Luna’s hand. “Let’s go,” he said quietly.

Although she wanted to say something, Luna kept silent, and they left.

Upon their departure, Ron and Hermione looked sternly around.

“Well, do you have anything else to say?” Ginny snapped, her hands on her hips. She tossed her hair over her shoulder and glanced at Ron, who stood silently next to Hermione, his eyes cast to the floor.

When all she received was silence, Draco smirked and nudged her. “I think it’s safe to say we can leave now, Gin.”

As they walked away, Hermione poked Ron hard in the shoulder.

“You could have helped,” he said bitterly, glaring at her.

Hermione looked offended. “Then she’d be on me about my relationship with Blaise!”

“Your…what?” Ron said baffled as Hermione took off toward the Great Hall. “Hey, wait!”

_________________________________________


Harry sighed and tossed a rock into the lake. He stood glaring at the water for several minutes until he felt a pair of arms slid against his torso and pull him back.

“It’ll be all right,” she whispered, her long, blonde hair licking his face as the wind picked up.

He shook his head and turned in her embrace. “He’s no good for her,” Harry said.

Luna smiled gently and brushed a hand through his hair, knocking his glasses to the ground in the process. She stood on her tiptoes and kissed him softly on the mouth. When his hands came to hold her close, she opened her mouth and his tongue ventured in. Her hands were against his chest, fiddling with the clasp to his cloak.

“Maybe he’s changed,” Luna suggested as she pulled away from him to stare into his face, her large silvery eyes searching his emerald ones.

He frowned at her and took her hand in his. “I doubt it,” he said, pulling her back to the castle with him.

Just as they entered the Entrance Hall, Harry’s eyes fell on Ron, and the Slytherin slut that was wrapped around him. Pansy had her hands in his red hair, her mouth on his and her hips grinding against him. Once or twice during their session, he stumbled into the wall that Parkinson was presently pushing him into with her body.

“Oh…” Luna said with surprise. “Well, good for him.”

“This isn’t good!” Harry said quietly, realizing they hadn’t been seen yet. “No wonder Ginny’s off snogging Malfoy.”

“Don’t do that,” warned Luna.

“Look at that!” shouted Harry. “Look at it, Luna, and tell me that’s a good role model for a sister to have.”

Before Luna could reply they were interrupted. Ron stood behind Harry, his face red with embarrassment or anger, it wasn't clear which. He cleared his throat, and Luna stepped back as Harry whirled around.

“I don’t understand…” he started.

“Obviously,” snapped Ron.

Pansy had come up beside him, her Slytherin smirk in place. “You and your weirdo girlfriend like to watch people make out?” snarled the dark-haired girl.

Luna smiled fiercely at Pansy. “You might not want to get involved in this, Parkinson.”

“Potter’s just mad that he has to bed an orphan,” Pansy said to Ron.

Suddenly, Luna’s wand was drawn, her eyes sharp.
Leave a Review