Chapter 1 – The Flight




The Burrow was warm and cozy as Ginny stepped through the doors. She was immediately welcomed by the sound of her mother's humming, and the smell of biscuits wafting throughout her home. As she began walking to the kitchen, feeling rather neglected over the fact that she hadn’t been pulled into a million hugs already. She stopped at the entrance to the living room; her father was sitting by the fire, reading, his glasses slipping from his nose.

“Arthur! We’ve got to make everything nice before Ginny – Ginny!” Molly swept her daughter up in a loving embrace as her husband stood and smiled. “I didn’t hear the front door open! How are you?”

Ginny coughed when her mother let go, giving her father a chance to envelope her tightly.

“Ginny, you look lovely,” he said with a nod. “Don’t mind your mother. Come, sit down, everyone’s been waiting for you.”

Molly meanwhile had disappeared once more and reappeared seconds later, balancing a tray of biscuits and assorted sweets. She had nearly dropped the tray, but Ginny inadvertently caught it.

She blew her red hair from her face and grinned broadly.

“Nice one, Gin!” shouted Charlie as he emerged from the backyard. “Throw me a Chocolate Frog!”

“None of that, please, you’ll spoil your dinner," Molly said.

Ginny hadn’t heard her mother, and had tossed the frog to her brother, but an outstretched hand closed around it in midair. Molly stared at her daughter, her eyes flickering.

“Ginevra, you know better, and, Charlie how dare you disobey me when we have company!”

“It’s not company; it’s just Ginny,” said George as he poked his head in the house. “All right?” he asked his little sister.

“All right.” Ginny giggled. “How are you?”

“Well enough,” he said, coming up beside his brother. “Ron and Harry are out getting supplies.”

“Where’s Bill?” Ginny asked as she set down the tray.

“With Phlegm, of course.” Fred smirked from behind his twin. “Where’s your boyfriend, Gin?”

Ginny flushed and shook her head. “He’s working…”

“Boyfriend?” Molly’s eyes widened as she glanced at her daughter. “You never told me you were seeing someone.”

“Because it’s not a big deal,” said Ginny, sighing. “It’s not even that serious.”

“Not what I heard,” replied Charlie as he picked up the tray of sweets, eyeing them with interest. “Where’s he from again – America?”

Ginny paled. “I…”

Arthur chose this moment to say something, as he had been listening intently thus far. “America? Ginny, where in Merlin’s name did you meet this boy?”

“I went to America, Daddy.”

“And you couldn’t bother to let us know?” Arthur said with a mild tone.

“It wasn’t that important.” Ginny shrugged.

“Not important?” Molly interrupted. “Ginny, we’re your family. You should let us know of any difficult decisions you make.”

“It was for work, that’s all.” She watched her brothers exchange glances and hoped they would keep their mouths shut.

“All right, all right, could we please move this little discussion outside? I want my food eaten before it gets cold!” Molly instructed, shoving her children and husband out the door.

Ginny’s eyes widened when she saw Hermione sitting, playing with Crookshanks.

“You couldn’t come in and say hi? I haven’t seen you in months,” Ginny said as she sat down.

“Oh, I didn’t want to intrude,” Hermione responded, glancing briefly at her friend.

“Liar,” whispered the redhead.

“Did you say something?” Hermione said.

“No.” Ginny smiled and grabbed a bowl of potato salad. “Hey, aren’t Tonks and Remus supposed to be here?”

Arthur frowned slightly. “They were going to, but their plans changed.”

Ginny blinked and said nothing as she ate. Sometimes, she lifted her head and watched everyone, but other than that she remained quiet. After excusing herself to use the bathroom, she wandered back into the house. The front door opened, startling her a little, and in stepped Ron, Bill, Fleur and Harry.

The raven-haired boy stumbled briefly when he saw her, causing whatever he was holding to fall to the floor.

“Sorry, Ron," Harry muttered as he bent down to pick up the bread. “I tripped over the carpet.”

Ignoring him, Ron nodded at his baby sister. “How’s Devon?” he asked as Hermione came from outside.

Ginny watched closely as Hermione bent to help Harry, watched her arm brush his, and the reaction he gave. When they straightened up, Harry’s arm was around her waist.

“He’s fine. What’s going on?” Ginny asked distractedly, her voice tight.

When no one answered, Ginny went back outside and sat on the grass. It wasn’t long until she had company. Turning, she blinked as Crookshanks came and wound himself around her, purring softly. Ginny was scratching him behind the ear when she noticed a shadow looming over her.

“She didn’t mean to lie to you,” Bill said quietly, kneeling beside her.

Ginny hadn’t noticed the glances exchanged between her brother and his wife when they entered.

“You knew didn’t you?” she asked.

“I had my suspicions,” replied Bill as he scratched his chin. “But I didn’t know anything was certain until today, you have my word.”

“I can’t believe she didn’t tell me.”

“Well, she knows how you feel about Harry, we all do.”

Ginny looked offended. “Oh, you don’t think I still have feelings for him, do you?”

Bill smiled slightly and kissed his sister on the head. “Of course you do, and you always will, you know that. Otherwise, why are you acting like this?”

“Like what?” Ginny asked.

“You’re acting very childish.” Bill frowned as he reached to draw Hermione’s cat on his lap.

“Excuse me?” Ginny growled, her eyes wide and her temper flaring. “I’m being childish? She could have easily told me and didn’t have to act so weird before?”

Bill almost laughed at her. “You’re a good girl, Gin, but you need to just get your priorities straight.”

“William, I’m almost twenty-five, don’t you think I have some of my life planned already?”

“Are you thinking about marriage with Devon?” Bill asked abruptly. “How about moving in with him? Have you thought about kids? And what about a career if the one you have falls through or you do something dumb and get fired?”

Ginny ignored him.

No one knew it, but by the next morning, Ginny Weasley would be gone.
Leave a Review