Chapter 13 – Break Through




Draco was sitting in his flat having a nice meal by himself when he heard a noise like a door being opened. He knew that most of his neighbors were out at work still so it couldn’t be any of them. Instinct took hold and he grabbed his wand off the table, stood up, and made his way to the living room. From there he could see the front door clearly and, even as the sunlight was dying outside, the person standing several feet in front of him.

His eyes widened and he lowered his wand slightly.

“You bastard,” he said quietly, placing his wand on the couch. He straightened up and tilted his head. “What are you doing here? I haven’t heard from you in a week.”

Blaise smiled at him and brushed a hand through his dark hair. “I was away on business.”

“Business?” Draco snorted. “That wouldn’t have to do with having sex with random strangers, would it?” He sank down onto the couch and stared at his friend.

“The women were never strangers, Malfoy.” Blaise grinned. “They were most definitely co-workers, if I remember correctly.”

“You’re the envy of every man,” Draco said as he reached for the bottle of champagne that was on the table near where he sat. He conjured two glasses, filled one and handed it to Blaise, leaving his untouched.

“Besides, I think you’ve been having the most fun this week. You know, since you’ve been seen in the company of a very curvy and sexy redhead more than once.” If it was possible, Blaise’s grin widened. “How ever did you manage to get Ginny Weasley, of all girls, into your bed?”

Draco’s fingers trembled as he poured the liquor into his glass, and he turned his head. “It’s not like that with her,” he said with a glare.

“Are you sure?” Blaise asked, now smirking at the blond. “She looks like she’d be really feisty. I bet I could make her scream.”

The glass Draco was holding shattered as his eyes widened. “Get out, Zabini,” he growled.

“Oh, come on, you know she got around at Hogwarts-”

“OUT!” Draco roared, pointing his wand at Blaise.

He didn’t watch his friend leave, only heard the door slam shut in anger. When all was quiet again, Draco grabbed a quill and a piece of parchment and began to write.

___________________


Molly had taken to fussing over Ginny coming to visit again after being away for weeks. She told her parents that she’d been spending a lot of time with Draco and that Harry needn’t get himself so worried over a simple friendship. When he was well within earshot, Ginny said, “I don’t see why he has to overreact.”

“I’m overreacting?” Harry snapped angrily, coming forward. “I’m not the one who left her family in the middle of the night, because she couldn’t handle the simple fact that her ex-boyfriend had moved on. What’s the matter with you? Are you still so hung up on me that you’re using that traitor to ease your pain?”

Ten seconds later, Harry staggered back, catching his foot on the carpet and falling, clutching his face as he hit the floor. He stared at Ginny venomously as he pinched the bridge of his now broken nose.

“Ginny!” Molly shrieked as Arthur helped a disheveled Harry up. “What’s gotten into you?”

“It’s not a friendship to him!” Harry breathed, wheezing every time he sniffed. “He’s a Malfoy and he uses woman. Don’t you remember that from school?”

Ginny stared at him, her wand at her side. “His feelings for me, whatever they are, are genuine. I’m not an idiot, Harry.”

“Then stop acting like one!” he snarled.

“That’s enough,” said Mr. Weasley. His outraged gaze was falling on Harry alone. “I think you should go,” he said calmly.

Harry looked at Mrs. Weasley for help of some kind, but Molly pretended to be too distracted with something else to even notice him. “Fine,” he said softly. “Send Hermione home when she’s done here.”

“She shouldn’t be here either,” Arthur said.

“I can’t believe you haven’t fired that bastard yet,” Harry muttered. “He’s a disgrace to the name of wizard.”

Mr. Weasley’s eyes flashed and his lip curled as he remembered that particular saying being the one thing about Lucius Malfoy that got his temper flaring.

“He has shown me no reason to relieve him of his duties as an employee, Harry,” Arthur said kindly, looking around as Fred and George came in.

“What’s up?” Fred asked.

“Did something happen?” George wondered.

They both had caught sight of Harry’s nose and Ginny’s hand, which was dotted with blood.

“That’s really impressive, Gin,” Fred said grinning. “I didn’t think you had it in you.”

“Remember Dumbledore’s Army?” George reminded him. “She has a knack for Reducto.”

“All right, everyone just stop for a moment,” Molly said quietly. “Maybe we can settle this and no one has to go home, Arthur. Would you two be willing to do that?” she asked Harry and Ginny.

“I won’t tolerate him talking about Draco like that,” Ginny mumbled.

“Are you hearing yourself?” Harry said. “You’re calling him Draco.”

“That’s his name.”

“When did that happen?”

“God, Harry, just stop.”

Hermione had come in from the back just then and was looking around anxiously. When she saw what had happened, she reached out for Harry and took hold of his hand tightly.

Ginny scowled.

As she turned around to leave the sound of wings distracted her and, suddenly, a tawny-colored owl swooped into the Burrow and hooted dolefully at Ginny before landing on the sofa and extending its leg. The redhead saw the letter attached to its talon and knew the handwriting immediately.

“Who’s it from?” Fred asked.

Ginny blinked at him and said quietly, “No one.” She immediately escaped to the privacy of her childhood room. When she was sitting comfortably on the windowsill, she opened the letter with trembling hands.

Ginny,

How are you? I know the last few days have probably been very boring without me around, but I’m home at my flat and I’m feeling better. I didn’t mean to leave you so abruptly the other day, and I’m sorry I got mad at you. I know all of what I think isn’t true, and I know that you’ve believed that for a long time. I was writing to ask you if you want to come to dinner later, but other things just came to mind first. I promise a relaxing evening. Let me know soon.

-Draco


Ginny eagerly grabbed a piece of parchment from the desk by her bed and scribbled her reply, her heart pounding in her chest as she wrote his name. Her hand trembled as she pressed down on the paper.

Draco,

Dinner sounds nice. I need to get out of here. Things have gotten worse. I’ll tell you about it when I see you.

-Ginny


Quickly looking around for her coat, she slipped it on, and for the second time in a few weeks, Apparated from her home and away from all of the chaos that she knew would erupt downstairs upon the discovery of her disappearance.
Leave a Review