Chapter 21 – The Fortunate




Ginny was moving towards Fred, who had beckoned her to join him when the fight broke out, when the shot was fired. Her eyes widened as she dropped near her brother’s leg, and as he put an arm around her, she looked toward the window. The rain was coming down harder now, and the light in the room had changed.

There was a groan from somewhere by the couch and someone stood up. They limped forward until they reached Ginny and then grabbed her hair, twisting it around their hand before yanking hard and dragging her into the middle of the floor.

“Where’s the bullet?” he said hoarsely. “Where’s the fucking bullet, Gin? It didn’t penetrate your boyfriend and no one else seems hurt.” Devon’s voice was gruff as he tightened his hold on her. “Where did he go?” he asked, tugging at her hair and pressing her face into the wound on his leg.

Ginny could feel the blood from the wound on her cheek as she said, “I don’t know.”

“You don’t know?” Devon hissed, pulling her chin so that she looked up at him. As deranged as his face had already looked, the lightning that struck just then made things worse. “You don’t know much, do you?”

Ginny faintly her the sounds of her family moving from the living room.

“You’re not after them,” she said, watching his head turn “You’re here to deal with me.”

Devon leaned down and stared at her. “If I can’t have you—” His arm rose slightly. “—then I won’t let anyone else.”

Ginny shut her eyes, fully prepared for a bullet to puncture her skin, but when nothing came, she glanced at him. His hands were cold as they slid across her neck, and then he suddenly pushed, while shoving her onto her back and basically slamming his knees on her hands to hold them still.

She tried to lift her legs to kick him in the back but couldn’t. He was going to kill her.

She heard someone scream, and then there was a startling noise, and Ginny felt his weight being lifted from her.

“Are you all right?” whispered a voice.

Before Ginny could even reply, there was someone hugging her and she felt lips caressing her forehead.

“The bullet missed the first time,” he explained quietly. “He dropped the gun, and I found it after the scuffle.”

“Where’s my family?” Ginny said.

“They’re fine. A little shook up, but otherwise fine.”

Ginny stared at him; his blond hair was messy.

He watched her, his eyes scared, and he kissed her softly.

“Is he-?” she wondered, without looking at her other side.

Draco craned his neck. “I got him right in the spine,” he said calmly, lifting her up. “Do you want to bury him somewhere?” he asked as he carried her into the kitchen.

“Oh, thank goodness,” Molly said, wiping her eyes. “Did you get him?” she asked Draco.

“In the spine,” Ginny informed her.

Really?” Arthur said interestedly. “That little bullet did all that damage? How extraordinary!”

Someone laughed, and Ginny looked around to see Harry and Hermione standing across the room.

“W-when did you two get here?” Ginny asked.

“We’ve been here the entire time,” Hermione said. “We were here when Devon stormed in, but he never thought to check the kitchen. Oh, it was really scary, Gin.”

Harry stepped forward and hugged Ginny tightly, while extending his hand to Draco. “This doesn’t mean we’re friends.”

Draco smirked and said, “Some things will never change.”

_____________________


Ginny stared at the picture and frowned. She was in the middle of putting it up on the wall when a pair of arms encircled her waist, causing her to jump. Warm breath touched her neck and she turned in his embrace, staring into his face. She used one hand to brush his hair out of the way as she kissed him slowly.

The wall had become a nice spot for their satiable appetite for one another as of late. With her hands wrapped securely around his shoulders, and her legs around his torso, Draco all but drove her against the wall and kissed her hungrily. His lips left her mouth and brushed her ear gently.

“You seem distracted,” he said thoughtfully as she slipped away from him to sit by the roaring fire.

He sat behind her and gathered her long hair in his hands gently. “What if it didn’t make a difference?” Ginny asked, turning around to look at him.

“It’s been three years,” Draco said softly, caressing her cheek.

Ginny leaned over and brushed her lips against his, her arms going around his neck as she pulled him closer. When they were lying facing each other, she ran a hand through his hair.

“It made a difference,” Draco said, “because you’re still with me.”

“Aren’t you lucky?” Ginny shrugged.

Draco smiled, his lips hovering over hers before he kissed her gently. He slipped a hand down to hold the base of her neck and pulled her closer, his tongue sliding past her teeth and diving into her mouth. He straddled her, suddenly, his hands grasping her wrists to hold them on either side of her head.

Ginny smiled wickedly and whispered, “What are you going to do?”

Draco bent his head and kissed her hungrily. It wasn’t until something slid from his pocket, that he tore his mouth away from hers. “I-uh-” he muttered as she went to pick it up.

Ginny stared at the tiny, velvet box in her hand, then back at him. When she cautiously opened it, Draco felt the urge to hide.

“What is – is this a -?”

Ginny looked up at him, her mouth twitching slightly.

Draco exhaled and shut his eyes.

“I will,” she whispered, kissing him. “Of course, I will.”
The End.
ReverseBeauty is the author of 10 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 33 members. Members who liked Goes Without Saying also liked 1459 other stories.
Leave a Review