The Dragon Prince and His Flame Princess by tigereyes320

A/N: I have to thank my beta Phoenix. I have to thank echo for letting me borrow her pairing of Katie Bell with Percy from “Absolutely Spiffing” (a great read, by the way). I like constructive feedback. tigereyes320@hotmail.com

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Interlude 6

Draco paced back and forth in front of his family. Lucius and Narcissa were waiting with them to pick up Nick and Ally. All of the Weasleys were there to pick up their children.

“They are late ” Draco muttered.

“Darling, it’s less then five minutes late. They are fine,” said Ginny as she tried to contain her laughter at the sight in front of her but didn’t quite manage it. A giggle escaped.

Draco turned and looked at her questioningly. Ginny motioned behind him, and as he turned, he saw Marissa pacing in an identical fashion behind him. Draco stepped into her path. Marissa was so busy with the pacing she ran right into her father and plopped backward onto her bottom.
Marissa looked up with the Malfoy scowl to say something to the person who had got in her way. When she saw it was her father, she switched to a beautiful smile. “Daaaaddddeeeee."

Ginny had to laugh at the two Malfoy blondes with identical smirks. Her ears heard some fussing; she turned to Nate’s Muggle stroller, but Narcissa had beat her to him and already picked him up.

“What is wrong, Nathaniel? Did you think we had forgotten you, darling? I’m sorry, Ginny; did you want him?” Narcissa asked as she held out Nate to Ginny.

“Narcissa, I’ve told you. Don’t apologize for picking up your grandchildren. You know they enjoy their time with you and Lucius.”

“Gwanfather ” Marissa shrieked.

Ginny and Narcissa turned at the sound of Marissa’s voice. Lucius had picked up Marissa and set her on his shoulders. “There, Marissa, now you can see everyone. Malfoys do not run about. We need to think about the image we portray,” Lucius said with a faint smile.
Narcissa and Ginny rolled their eyes in unison. Lucius could still be a pompous bore at times.

“Mummy I see the train ” Marissa hollered from her perch.
Draco turned quickly to see the plume of smoke billowing its way toward the station. He walked over to Ginny and took her hand in his, giving it a squeeze. “Do you want to sit down? You’ve been on your feet for awhile now. It’ll take the kids at least twenty to thirty minutes to get off the train.”

“Dragon, I’m fine. The baby is fine. Go and pace on the platform. You know you won’t stop worrying until you see them. By the way, Severus sent us an owl today.”
Draco’s eyebrows shot up. “Really? What did he want?”

“His letter said that he, Guinevere and the children would be spending the holiday with Harry’s family. He wanted to know if we could all get together for dinner.”

“What did you say?” Draco asked as he craned his head, looking for a pale blonde or redheaded child.

“I said I would check with you, but I was sure we would be able to find time to have supper with them. You know, I think I see Nick and Ally.”

“Where?” Draco demanded.

“Over there.” She pointed to the left of them. “I see a blonde surrounded by redheads, with a few brunettes thrown in for good measure. They are all moving in this general direction.” Ginny shook her head as her husband was off like a shot.

Draco was making his way through the throng of people to wait for his children to reach him.

“Anxious, are you? I think I worried more about Harry and Annie than Hermione did,” Ron said as he came up beside Draco.

“You know, if you’d told me during my first year this is where I’d be in twenty years, I’d have had you carted off to St. Mungo’s immediately.”

“Got that right. A Weasley related by choice to a Malfoy Never thought I’d see it. In fact, I would have bet against us ever becoming friends.”

“So we’re friends?”

“Well, maybe not friends, but you are family. You married my baby sister, who for some odd reason loves you. Add to that the fact that you make her and my nieces and nephews happy, how could you not grow on a person? We won’t even factor into it the fact that I owe some, if not all, of my happiness to you.”

“Just how do you figure that?” Draco asked as the sea of children came even closer.

“Well, if you remember, we had another of our famous rows right before the holiday fifth year. Hermione was planning on going home, even though I didn’t want her to go. As a last resort, I told Hermione that as soon as she left, I was going to go find you and give you what you had coming. Because of that, she changed her mind and stayed for the holiday. If I hadn’t hated you so much back then, she would have gone home, and I would have lost her. My life as I know it would be gone; my wife and my children wouldn’t exist.”

“You know, to this day, I don’t know what made me go to Dumbledore and say something.”

“It doesn’t matter why. It matters that you did it. I know I don’t say this often, but I’m proud to have you as a brother-in-law and a friend.”

“Back at you, Ron. I still like to mess with your head though.”

“Yeah, me, too.”

“Daddy!” Two twin shouts interrupted any further conversation.

The two men turned and saw two pretty redheads running toward them. The young girls launched themselves at their respective fathers.

Draco caught Ally up in a fierce hug. His baby girl, who was a twin of her mother at that age, with Ginny’s red hair, brown eyes and that sprinkle of freckles across her nose.

Ron had his arms around Annie, who also sported the Weasley looks, including the famous freckles, but her hair was a darker red and bushy like her mother’s had been in childhood; her blue eyes were bright with excitement.

Ron and Draco exchanged a look over their heads; they knew intellectually that this precious time would soon pass. One day all too soon there would be a boy, a man, who would be anxiously awaiting his introduction to the family. They then would have to let them go and become adults with all the ups and downs that came with adulthood. For right now, for this moment out of time, they basked in the adoration of their daughters.

“Daddy Oh, I missed you, Daddy ” Annie exclaimed as she hugged her father again. “Harry I found Daddy. C’mon, I want you to meet my friends. Oops. Hi, Uncle Draco.” She gave her uncle a kiss on the cheek and a quick hug before dragging Ron off to meet her housemates.

Draco shook his head at the energy that always radiated off Annie; just like her mother, she was.

“Hi, Daddy,” Ally said almost shyly, with Ginny’s sweet smile playing across her lips.

“Hello, my sweetheart. Let me look at you,” Draco said as he stepped back for a moment.

Ally stepped away from Draco and twirled around in a circle. Draco shook his head. She was going to be tall like most of the Weasleys. Her long, red hair was caught in a high ponytail and curled down the back of her black Hogwarts robe with the Ravenclaw insignia on it.

“You look beautiful, Ally. Is school all right so far this term?”

“Daddy, you have to say that; I’m your daughter. School’s good. Nick and I are tied with Harry and Annie for marks.” Annie scuffed her shoes when saying that. “Uncle Sev says to tell you hello.” Annie linked arms with her father and tried to change the subject. “Where’s Mum?”

“Ally, you know all your mum and I care about is that you do your best. Now, in your classes, are you doing the very best you can?”

“Of course, Daddy, but—“

”But nothing.” Draco stopped and stooped to look Ally in the eye. “Ally, would I like to see any of my children at the top of their class? Absolutely But as long as you and your brothers and sisters can tell your mother and I that you’ve done your very best, we’ll have no complaints.”

“Really? Grandfather won’t agree with that.”

“He probably won’t. He never liked the fact that I came in second to your Aunt Hermione. If you feel that you can do better, then go to your professors; ask them what it would have taken to get a better mark on the exam. Ask Annie if you can see her exam and compare your answers; maybe she got extra credit on a few because she gave more details. Ask the professors for some extra credit. All of your professors are extremely pleased with your work. Don’t be so hard on yourself. Wait a minute; where is Nick?”

“Saying good-bye to Mallory, Melinda, Melissa, Mort, and Race.”

“That’s right. Vincent and Susan’s daughter Mallory is at Hogwarts this year, and so are Snape’s twin boys and Pansy and Marcus Flint’s twin girls. How are you all getting along?”

“Pretty well. Melinda and Melissa are complete Slytherins though. I heard from Shannon and Marissa that you’re telling them the Dragon Prince story again. What are you up to?”

“We’re at the part where the princess deals with life after the prince’s death. Then the prince comes back,” said Draco as he brushed a stray hair away from her face. “You’re going to have to braid your hair up tight if you want to play Quidditch next year.”

Ally rolled her eyes. “I know, Daddy.”

“Let’s find your mum. I want to make sure she isn’t doing too much. I know she’s missed you too. We also need to find the trunks.”

Ally pointed off to the right. “Well, I see Marissa. She’s on grandfather’s shoulders. I remember when he used to do that with me. C’mon, Daddy ” She pulled her father in the family’s direction.

Draco allowed himself to be pulled along after his daughter. Suddenly he felt a torpedo run into him. He let go of Ally to hang on to whoever had run headlong into him. “Ally, tell your mum I’ll be there in a bit.”

Ally nodded as she raced toward her mother.

“Hi, Uncle Draco.”

“Mallory Crabbe, let me look at you,” said Draco as he pulled back to take a look at Crabbe’s eldest child.

Thankfully in features she took after her mother, but she had Crabbe’s dark eyes and hair. “Vince Susan How are you doing?” Draco asked as Mallory kissed his cheek and darted off again.

“We’re very well, thank you, Draco,” Susan said as she accepted the kiss on the cheek Draco offered. She seemed serene as she rested her hand on her extended belly. “You haven’t been by lately to visit your godson; Dray’s missed you.”

“I know; I’ll be by to visit soon. We just found out Ginny’s pregnant again. I’ve been trying to make sure she doesn’t overdo it with the rest of our brood.”

“Another baby Congratulations, Draco. Be sure to give Ginny our best,” Vincent Crabbe said as he shook Draco’s hand.

“Thanks. Listen, I want to get my family home. Give us a ring, and we’ll make arrangements to have dinner. And tell little Draco Vincent his godfather will come around sometime this week to see him.”

“We’ll do. Let’s get Mallory; then we can pick up Dray and get home. I’m getting tired, Vince.”

“I’ll go get her, sweetheart; you stay right there,” Vince said as he gave her a kiss on the cheek.

Draco watched the two of them as they walked off. He never would have pictured those two together, but ever since Vincent had saved Susan’s life, they’d been inseparable. Vince had been so impressed with Draco’s actions he swore he’d name his firstborn for Draco. When his daughter was born, that was how Mallory got her name. It was the closest they could get to Malfoy.

Draco took a good look around the train station. It hadn’t changed all that much from his childhood. He smiled as he saw Fred and George with their wives as they each picked up their sets of twins. Katie and Percy were there to pick up Kaleb, their eldest child. He saw Marcus and Pansy with their three girls as their three boys ran circles around them. Oliver and Penelope Wood were picking up Catriona, a third year, and Roderick, a first year with the twins. Gwendolyn, their youngest, would start Hogwarts with Shannon. Draco waved at Remus Lupin and his wife Zaria as they greeted Selena, their oldest daughter. He caught Sirius Black’s wink as his son Jaime came to him and hugged his mother Natalie.

Draco smiled again, as he realized the Marauders, of whom Sirius and Remus had told him the tales, lived on in the many generations now attending Hogwarts. He didn’t think Minerva McGonagall was too pleased at the fates that gave the Weasley twins each a set of their own in the same year and house. He watched as Henry, Bill and Fleur’s only son, talked with a lanky, dark-skinned boy with black hair. As the boy turned and Draco caught a glimpse of his almond eyes, he realized he was looking at Matthew, son of the famous Quidditch player Cho Chang and famous Quidditch announcer Lee Jordan. Cho was making a name for herself as Seeker for the Holyfield Harpies.

He bit back a laugh as he saw Severus Snape with his wife Guinevere and their three younger children rush by. Snape and Harry, who had always despised each other, were now permanently related by marriage. Harry had unknowingly married Snape’s daughter. A daughter Snape had not even known existed. Snape had met Guinevere years earlier and fallen deeply in love; however, when Guinevere found out he was a Death Eater, she fled to America, not realizing that she was carrying Julianna, their daughter. Dumbledore had allowed her to test out of her classes, so she could find work to support herself and the baby. Harry had met Julianna when he went to America in the spring of 1999; within a few weeks, they had fallen in love and become engaged. Harry knew that to be married to him would put Julianna in danger as long as Voldemort was alive. So he came back in May of 1999, right after Draco had disappeared and was assumed dead. Harry stayed and plotted as he stood beside Ron as he and Hermione got married that June. Hermione insisted they be married before the final confrontation against Voldemort.

It was mid-September 1999 when that final battle was fought. With the help of Lucius Malfoy, the Order of the Phoenix infiltrated a Death Eater’s meeting. It was both a sad and joyous day. After various jinxes and curses had subdued the Death Eaters, Harry went after Voldemort. Whatever had happened during that confrontation between the two wizards, no one really knew. Harry walked out of the room where Voldemort lay dead and made his report to the Ministry of Magic and the Order of the Phoenix. After that the files were sealed, and it was never mentioned again. Harry then brought Juliana back to London, and they married in front of the entire wizarding world a few months later. About a year later, Lily arrived, and Harry began to laugh again.

Harry refused any and all awards dealing with the defeat of Voldemort. He did accept the awards that came with fighting against him. Harry said the only memorial he wanted was like the ones the Muggles had for their Vietnam veterans, a simple wall with the names of all those who had lost their lives in war against Muggle and Magic communities. Harry had said, “How will we know what we’re fighting for if we don’t remember those who came and fell before us? How can we honor the memory of those that have died if we don’t remember how the nightmare came to be?” Harry’s words were engraved on the wall with names of those who fell and the date they were lost. They still missed those who had been lost in this last war against Voldemort. Neville’s grandmother – she had been surprised one night, but she took two Death Eaters with her. Dennis Creevey, Cornelius Fudge, Mundungus Fletcher, Ernie Macmillan. But no death was felt more than Hagrid’s.

During Draco’s sixth year, it was revealed that Hagrid and Olympe Maxime had eloped while Hagrid had been suspended from school the previous year. In fact, most of sixth year was spent tiptoeing around the two when it was discovered that Olympe was pregnant. It was with bated breath the school waited for news. In May of 1997, all of Hogwarts, including the Slytherins, celebrated the birth of the twins, a boy and a girl. The boy inherited the half-and-half status of his parents, not quite a full giant but definitely a big boy; the girl seemed to not inherit a bit of giant at all. They named them Albus Ronald Hagrid and Athena Harriet Hagrid. Albus, Ron, and Harry stood as godfathers; Hermione, Molly Weasley, and Minerva McGonagall stood as godmothers. Hagrid had adored his children and was especially pleased when Dumbledore told him that both would get their letters from Hogwarts when it was time for them to go.

Hagrid, however, was struck with a particular nasty curse during that last battle. They had been able to save him, but every day he grew weaker and weaker. He had been able to last until Harry’s wedding barely. It was the main reason Harry rushed the wedding. Hagrid died that following February, surrounded by those he loved most: Harry, Dumbledore, Olympe and his children. Ron and Hermione had been able to find Grawp, so he could say goodbye to his Hagger. Hogwarts went into mourning for Hagrid. Classes were cancelled for two days, and even the Slytherins stood when Dumbledore asked everyone to raise a glass to Hagrid.

Olympe was so grief-stricken she immediately took the children back to France with her. She sent them every summer to Harry and Dumbledore, so the twins could know about their father. Olympe decided to have them spend their first year at Beauxbatons with her. The twins were trying to talk her into allowing them to attend Hogwarts next year.
Draco started as a hand was laid on his arm.

“Sweetheart, where are you?” Ginny asked, concerned at the expression on his face.

Draco shook himself free of the reverie at the sound of Ginny’s voice.

“Draco?”

“I’m fine, love. I was just thinking about those who aren’t here and all that I lost when I was missing.”

“Don’t speak of it, Draco. I don’t like thinking about those two and a half years. I never thought during my pregnancy that I’d get to share all this with you. Even when you came back, the medi-wizards told us you would never father another child because of the trauma you went through when you were gone.”

“Ginny, you shouldn’t worry so. It isn’t good for the baby. Who cares what anyone said about us? We proved them all wrong. We’re happily married with our eighth child on the way. There is no force on this earth that could make me leave you.”

“Let’s take our babies home, Draco. Your parents already left after saying hello to Nick and Ally. They told the children they would see us at our manor on Boxing Day with their Christmas gifts.”

“Speaking of, I have yet to see our eldest son.”

“He is waiting patiently with his younger siblings for you.”
As Draco and Ginny approached their brood, Draco had to smile. Ally and Nick were trying to give equal attention to their younger siblings, who were all asking them questions at once.

A sharp whistle cut through the melee. All six of the older children froze at the sound. Nate, thinking something was wrong, began to cry and tried to get down so he could toddle over to Ginny.

Draco walked over to Ally and took Nate from her. “Nate. Nathaniel, stop crying Mummy and Daddy are not mad at you.”

“I wan Mum Mum,” Nate sniffled into his father’s robes.

Draco handed Nate to Ginny, who quickly soothed him, and faced the rest of his progeny with his arms crossed in front of his chest. He gave them all a steely glare. “I know all of you are happy that Nick and Ally are home for the holiday. I don’t mind you all being loud. There are seven of you children; quiet is only a memory. However, there is loud, and then there is wild. There is no need to be wild.”

“Sorry, Daddy, must be those Weasleys genes,” Ally said with an innocent smile.

Draco forced his mouth not to twitch. “Very funny, Allison Virginia Hermione Malfoy.”

“I thought so,” Ally said, smiling her Malfoy smirk. “I’m sorry. I’m done now. I’ll be good.”

“That’ll be the day,” Nick deadpanned, rolling his gray eyes.

Ally swiped at her brother with her fist.

“Oi Don’t mess with the hair, Red,” Nick said as he ducked away from her fist.

Ally growled at the hated nickname.

“Nicholas Draco Arthur Malfoy What have you been told about calling your sister Red?”

“Sorry, Mum. Sorry, Ally. I was just kidding. Hullo, Pop,” Nick said as he gave his father a quick hug.

“Hello yourself, son. School good?”

“It’s okay.”

“Let’s go home gang,” Draco said as he turned toward where they had left their vehicle.

Draco and Ginny followed the children back to where they had parked the minivan. Draco might not have liked a lot of Muggle things, but cars were definitely not one of them. Harry had taught Draco to drive, and now he owned a Porsche, a Ferrari, a large van, and an SUV in addition to the minivan. The children climbed in, as Draco stored the twin’s trunks inside the enchanted van. After Ginny had checked to make sure all the seatbelts were securely fastened, she climbed into the passenger side of the vehicle and fastened her own.

Once they were on their way, the younger children and Ginny dozed off.

“So Nick, Ally, what do you two want for dinner tonight? You two can pick as celebration dinner.”

“I want Italian ” Ally said.

“I want hamburgers,” said Nick.

Draco glanced over at the sleeping Ginny and made a command decision. “How about we have Italian tonight, and Nick, you can choose desert. For lunch tomorrow, we’ll have hamburgers. Sound good to you two?”

“Okay, Dad. I want sundaes for dessert.”

“All right; when we get home, the elves will get started on dinner, and you two can get unpacked.”

“Daddy, can we hear the rest of Dragon Prince tonight?” Ally asked.

“Sure, I’ll finish it tonight.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

The elves had outdone themselves. There was a huge platter of antipasto and bruchetta. There were plates of freshly sliced tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and basil. Then there were huge bowls of fettuccini alfredo, spaghetti bolognaise, and spaghetti with meatballs. Yet more dishes contained plain angel-hair pasta, ravioli, and tortellini, and then gravy boats full of marinara, alfredo, pesto and pink sauces.

Ginny moaned, “If I eat all of this, I’ll explode.”

“But what a way to go, Mum,” said Nick as he piled his plate high with the food. “So, Mum, how has everything been around here since Ally and I left for school?”

Ginny and Draco exchanged a glance. “Well, sweetie, actually we wanted to let you know that in July you’re going to have another baby brother or sister.”

“What? ” exclaimed the twins in unison.

“I’m having a baby. It’s due in July. We aren’t sure if it’s a boy or a girl. Are you two okay?”

“I’m just surprised, Mum. I thought you said Nate would be the last,” Ally said.

“Mum, a baby That means everyone will know you’re doing it You’re parents; you aren’t supposed to be doing things like this,” Nick said with a disgusted look on his face.

“Just how do you think you got here, a wave of my wand?” Draco asked, as he gave Ginny’s hand a comforting squeeze.

“Dad, I know how. Is this one going to be the last one?”

“Nick, we didn’t plan this. None of you were planned. You were all incredible blessings. You two, especially,” Ginny said quietly.

“Daddy, tell us more about the Dragon Prince,” Ally requested.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Part 7

Now the Dragon Prince and Flame Princess had a reprieve during his sixth year and her fifth; in fact, it was almost as if Voldemort wasn’t back. Percy and Katie were married in February and announced in October that a little Weasley was on the way. Sirius had been completely exonerated at Christmas of 1996; his lawyer, Natalie, was Katie’s cousin, and they were now dating.

On September 1, 1997, the beginning of the next school year, Voldemort decided to make his presence known. At noon, he attacked King’s Cross Station. No one was hurt as everyone had already left for home and school. Voldemort’s message came across loud and clear. He could have attacked at anytime and hurt anyone. Dumbledore and the Order of the Phoenix started recruiting and training any seventh year who wanted to join. The Dragon Prince had joined as well, but his membership was a secret only a few people knew about. The prince’s father could not know about the prince’s change of heart.

The prince and princess grew closer and closer. On New Year’s Eve, he asked her to marry him; she accepted. They agreed they would get married two years from June. They kept their engagement very quiet; only Ginny’s immediate family, Harry and Hermione knew about it. However, the fact that the prince and princess were rarely out of each other’s company kept the gossip mill fueled.

It was a lovely day at the end of May, right before Draco’s N.E.W.T.s, when the truth came out.

“Ugh. ‘Mione Draco’s here again What are you, Malfoy, a secret Gryffindor? Do you even have a house still?” Ron said as he walked around Draco and Ginny cuddled before the fire.

“Shut up, Ron. Draco is taking a break from his N.E.W.T.s to help me with my Potions final.”

“Listen, Ginny; I’ve been nice to the git. I didn’t even lose my temper when you told me you agreed to MARRY the bloke – you do know that is until death do you part, right? But to have him underfoot all the time…”

“Ron,” scolded Hermione. “Should everyone complain about the fact that you and I are rarely apart? You and I need to go over your material, as well, to review for our own N.E.W.T.s.”

Ron knew better than to start this argument with his ‘Mione. The argument about Ginny and Draco just could not be won. He even had to grudgingly admit the Slytherin adored his sister and made her incredibly happy. He treated her like a princess. They fought, of course, but it was like trying to keep the tide back; they always worked it out and found their way back to each other.

Ginny snuggled closer to Draco, as he pressed his lips to her temple. “When does your father expect you to be initiated into the Death Eaters?”

“After term ends. It’s going to get nasty when he finds out I haven’t been using you like a good little Slytherin would. Where are you staying this summer? Away from the Burrow, right?”

“Yes. Harry has this idea of being a regular kid for at least a month. So Ron, Hermione and I will be joining him, Sirius and Natalie for a month. You’ll be careful? I won’t be able to have any gray-eyed babies if anything happens to you.”

“I promised you a happily ever after, didn’t I? We Malfoys always keep our word. But no babies until after we are married; I don’t want to be killed by your father and seven older brothers.”

“I only have six brothers.”

“Potter makes seven.”

“Will you stay until I fall asleep?”

“Yes, I’ll stay.”

The princess fell asleep, secure in her prince’s arms. They didn’t realize that people had heard Ron grousing about them getting married.

Like wildfire, the rumor grew and spread until it reached the king. He pondered the matter and assumed his son truly had Weasley’s daughter under his spell. Lucius decided to see what was going on next week when he went to see Draco leave school.

Meanwhile, at Hogwarts, everything was peaceful, as Draco, Harry, Ron, and Hermione took their N.E.W.T.s. Draco knew there would be a confrontation after school ended, so he was prepared. That past May 31, when Draco turned eighteen, he went to the Gringotts branch in Hogsmeade and transferred the money he inherited to a special account that could only be accessed by himself and Ginny. He was preparing for the worst, even though he was hoping for the best.

N.E.W.T.s came and went. Hermione, of course, broke records with her results and was given the chance to create her own position in the Ministry. Ron and Harry made a good showing and decided to become Aurors; due to all their fights with Voldemort during their school years and their unofficial work in the Order of the Phoenix, their training was much less than the normal three years. They would be in training for a year. Draco, who came in second behind Hermione in N.E.W.T. scores, also wanted to become an Auror. Due to his father’s insistence on what he learned, Draco was only to be in training for six months.

By December of that year, everyone was in high spirits. The twins were getting married, Ron and Hermione had become engaged, and Ginny and Draco were starting to plan their wedding. Everything was perfect, which of course meant it couldn’t last.

The last Saturday in April was a Hogsmeade weekend, and Draco came to spend it with Ginny; they met at the Three Broomsticks.

“Draco? Have you been waiting long?” Ginny asked as she rushed in.

Draco had stood as soon as he saw her and caught her as she came at him in a run. Their quick kiss of welcome quickly grew longer and hotter.

“Hello, my love; I just got here a few moments ago. You’re looking beautiful. These are for you,” said Draco as he handed her a bouquet of white and lavender lilacs.

“They’re beautiful, thank you. Mum says hello and sends her love.”

“How was Kaleb’s birthday party?”

“It was great; he got more cake on him than in him. Remus and Zaria brought their baby, Selena, to the party; she is so beautiful – all dark hair and these big, gray eyes. Everyone asked where you were. I missed you so much. I’m starved; are we eating now?”

“Not quite. Rosmerta is letting us have an extra room she has upstairs for the day.”

“Really?”

“Yes.”

“Then what are we waiting for? I haven’t seen or touched you in almost a month. Draco, I want your arms around me.”

“Then let’s go,” Draco said as he took her hand and led her up the hidden staircase. He stopped in front of a closed door.

“Well, are we going in?”

“Yes, but close your eyes.”

“Why?”

“I’m asking you to. Please?”

“All right.”

Ginny closed her eyes, and Draco opened the door. Draco placed Ginny in front of him and put his arms around her.

“Okay, you can open your eyes now.”

Ginny opened her eyes to see a fairytale room. There were candles all over the room flickering brightly. The huge four poster bed was made up in shades of white with filmy curtains hanging down the posters. Draco had also found an old-fashioned iron tub, and a table held their food.

“It’s beautiful. Why?”

“I just felt the need to tell you and show you exactly how much I love you. Sometimes I feel like I don’t tell you enough.”

“I know you love me, Draco. Shut the door and help me out of these clothes.”

*****

Three weeks later the things that went on in that room still made Ginny blush. Draco was supposed to meet her this coming Saturday in Hogsmeade again. She had to talk with him about something important.

Ginny scrunched over her cauldron; it wouldn’t do to lose focus in Snape’s class.

“Professor Snape?”

“Professor McGonagall.”

“I need to borrow Miss Weasley for the rest of the class; she’s needed in Headmaster Dumbledore’s office immediately.”
Ginny sensed that something unspoken had passed between them.

“Miss Weasley, go with Professor McGonagall. I’ll make sure one of your classmates gets your things back to you.”
Ginny nodded and put her books and parchment in her bag. She and McGonagall made their way to Dumbledore’s office. Ginny tried not to think of anything but getting there.

“Caramel apples.”

The gargoyle opened the way to Dumbledore’s office. When Ginny walked in, she saw Ron sitting in a chair in front of Dumbledore’s desk. Hermione and Harry were there as well. Ginny’s throat closed up. She frantically tried to prepare herself for what she was about to hear. Ron would only be here if something had happened to one of the family.

“Good afternoon, Miss Weasley. Have a seat, won’t you?” invited Dumbledore.

Ron waited until she sat down. He had no idea how he was going to tell her this.

“Ginny, you know how I had told you we were hoping to grab Voldemort in a trap?” At her nod, he continued. “It didn’t work, and we suffered a loss. Ginny, there is no easy way of telling you this. I’m so sorry, but it was Draco.”

Ginny shook her head in denial. She looked at Harry and Hermione for something. When she saw the truth in their faces, she felt her eyes roll back in her head. She didn’t remember anything else.

*****

The rest of the school year passed for the princess in a haze. Three weeks after learning about Draco’s death, she discovered she was having their child. She wasn’t sure how she was going to raise their child without him. N.E.W.T.s came and went. She got a job, but everything was mechanical. Ginny hurt too badly to start crying. She was afraid if she started she wouldn’t ever stop. Discovering she was pregnant with twins didn’t faze her. The engagement ring Draco had given her never left her hand throughout the whole pregnancy. Even the fact that Voldemort was destroyed that September didn’t lift her spirits.

Christmas came and went, and Ginny waddled around with her round belly in front of her. On New Year’s Eve, at two o’clock in the afternoon, her water broke, and she was rushed to St. Mungo’s by her parents. They quickly spread the word. Soon the waiting room was filled with her six brothers and their wives, as well as Harry and Juliana. Lucius and Narcissa joined them in a few minutes.

“Any word, Molly?” Narcissa asked, wringing her hands.

“Not yet. Hermione’s in there with her. She’ll come out as soon as she knows anything.”

“What time is it?” Lucius asked.

“Just after midnight. It’s the new year. Happy New Year, everybody,” Ron said.

“Happy New Year,” everyone chorused.

Hermione burst out of the delivery room, her face wreathed in smiles. Everyone stood.

“I’d like to announce the arrival of Allison Virginia Hermione Malfoy, seven pounds, fifteen ounces, eighteen inches, and Nicholas Draco Arthur Malfoy, eight pounds, one ounce, also eighteen inches. Mother and babies are just fine,” Hermione said.

Narcissa collapsed in a chair with her eyes tearing up.
Bill Weasley knelt down beside her. “Are you okay, Mrs. Malfoy?”

“I’m a grandmother.”

“Yes, you are.”

“My son should have been in there with her.”

“Yes, he should have.”

“Lucius and I should get her some flowers.”

“I think Ginny would like that.”

****

Two years later, a man came toward the Burrow. He was unsure of his welcome or whether he should even be here. He owed her this closure; if she didn’t want him any longer or had moved on when she thought he was dead, he could wish her the best and try make a life without her.

As he came closer, he saw a little girl running around some other children. She looked so much like Ginny his heart gave a wrenching tug.

“Mummy Come out and see what Nicky and I made ”

“Coming, darling.”

Draco’s eyes widened at the sound of Ginny’s voice. That little girl was Ginny’s.

“Who are you, Mister?” The same little girl looked up at him.

Draco flipped back the hood of his cloak, and he saw the little girl’s jaw drop.

“Mummy ” she screamed. “Mummy You have to come now ”

“Allison, what’s wrong?” Ginny asked as she came toward her daughter, tossing her cloak over shoulders.

“Mummy, look That’s the man in our picture.”

Ginny looked up and got her first good look at Draco in almost three years. “Draco?” was all she managed to say before she fainted.

Draco swept her into his arms and made his way toward the Burrow with the tiny redhead trailing after him. “Molly Ginny’s fainted,” Draco called out.

“Ginny did wh—Draco? You’re alive! Put her down in the living room. Ron! ”

“Yeah, Mum?” Ron asked as he came down the stairs. “Malfoy?”

“Ron, I need you to owl them. I’m going to see to your sister.”

“Right away, Mum.”

Draco laid Ginny on the sofa and swept off his cloak. The little girl crept closer to him.

“Ally, honey, let Granmum through,” Molly said as she knelt by the sofa. “Ginny? Sweetheart?”

“Mum? I thought I saw Draco; he came back and saw Ally,” Ginny said as she opened her eyes.

“Mummy?”

“I’m okay, baby.” Ginny turned her head toward Ally and saw her in Draco’s arms.

“Draco? You’re really here? I’m not dreaming.”

“No, my love, I’m back if you want me to be back.”

“Mum, where’s Nicky? Can you get him?”

“I’ll be right back.”

“Ally, come here, baby.” Ginny sat up and took off the little girl’s outdoor cloak, scarf, and mittens. She then turned her around.

“Mummy?”

“Come here, Nick; there is someone you should meet.”

Draco’s eye grew wide as he saw a little boy with his own eyes and hair come and stand beside the little redhead.

“Draco, I’d like you to meet our children. This is our daughter, Allison Virginia Hermione Malfoy, and this is our son, Nicholas Draco Arthur Malfoy. Children, this is your daddy.”

Draco got down on his knees, pulled the twins toward him and rubbed his cheeks over the tops of heir heads. He felt their tiny hands pat his back. “You two are beautiful. I should probably owl my mother to let her know I’m alive as well.”

Just then a cloud of dust came out of the fireplace, and a person entered, quickly followed by another cloud of dust and a second person. The second one flipped their hood back. Draco recognized his mother right away. He got to his feet as she came toward him with her hand outstretched. She touched his face and then threw her arms around him, weeping uncontrollably. Molly came forward and drew Narcissa into the kitchen for some tea. Draco then looked his father in the eye.

“Hello, sir.”

“Welcome home, son. I’ll go see to your mother.”

Draco drew Ginny close to him. “Am I home?”

“At last,” Ginny said, tears welling in her eyes.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Interlude 7

As Draco finished the story, he looked around the table at his family; he realized that his wife and his daughters were either crying or sniffling. “What’s with the tears?”

“I guess I didn’t realize, Daddy, how close we came to never seeing you again. I always remember Mummy being so calm,” Ally said as she wiped her own tears with the back of her hand.

“She was, until she got you both to bed that night. We stayed up all night talking, arguing, making up.”

“When I finally realized you children were asleep and Draco had indeed come back, I couldn’t stop crying,” Ginny said.

“Dad, why haven’t you ever told us what happened to you while you were gone?” Nick asked as he scraped up the last of his sundae.

“Because for many years, I simply didn’t remember. When I tried to think about it, it was too painful. However, when your mother was pregnant with Marissa and David, I began to have nightmares. Your Aunt Hermione put us in contact with a counselor who specializes in this sort of thing. He helped us a great deal. I still go to him at least once a month to talk, but we feel I’ve remembered all I’m going to.”

“Why haven’t you ever told us more about what happened?”

“I never will, Allison. Because, one, l never want you to hear about something like that. Two, it doesn’t add anything to our Dragon Prince story; we have to have happy endings. And three, everyone’s life is a journey, and that journey is very important, more so than the destination. But you don’t want to remember the times you fall into a pit on your journey; you just remember that you got out and then you got where you needed to be. I came home to your mother and you two. I was so thankful that I had that much. Then your mother told me that she still loved me and that we were getting married, if it was what I wanted. I had it all. The only dark cloud was that, according to the medi-witches, we might not have any more children, due to the injuries I had. Those Weasley genes, though, came through again. We had Shannon and then Jason, then Marissa and David, finally – we thought – came Nathaniel, and now we’re expecting this new baby.”

“Do we know if it’s a boy or a girl yet?” Shannon asked.

“No. Daddy and I want to be surprised. We didn’t know for the rest of you. We have names picked out. And before you ask, no, we aren’t going to tell you.”

“What do you think the baby is, Daddy?”

“It’s a girl.”

“It could just as easily be a boy.”

“True.”

“So, Dad, life turned out okay for you?” Nick asked.

“Nick, my life is nothing like I thought it would be. Before I met your mother, I thought I’d be married to the right type of wife and have one child, possibly two if the first was a girl, and my life would be all that was rich, proper, and perfect. No noise, no heart, no love, no life. What I have now is a noisy house full of children, a wife I adore, not because she’s perfect but because she loves me. I have warmth in this house; laughter rings out. I don’t care about being proper or rich or perfect. My only care in this world is that I get to spend the next sixty or so years of my life with the woman I love. I get to watch my children grow into adults and create lives for themselves. It’s a good life.”

“Come on, children; let’s get to bed early. We’re visiting Grandfather and Grandmother Malfoy tomorrow,“ Ginny said.

All the children except Nate made their way to their bedrooms. As Ginny was about to pick up Nate, a house-elf popped in. “Mrs. Ginny, Libby will take Little Nate to Nanny if you like.”

“Thank you, Libby,” said Ginny as she kissed the top of Nate’s head. “Tell Nanny we’ll be up in a bit to tuck him in and say goodnight.”

“Yes, Mrs. Ginny. Libby go tell her right away.” Libby popped away.

Ginny went to stand by Draco as he stood in the hallway, looking up the curved stairs, listening to the children’s good-natured bickering while getting ready for bed. Ginny put her arms around him, and they basked in the happy moment afforded them.

“I’m going to miss this when they grow up.”

“We’ll be fine, Dragon; we have each other, and we have a lot of years to look forward to. We’ll have their weddings to see, christenings to have, and – Merlin willing – no funerals to attend. We have our happily ever after, love. Don’t go looking for dark clouds just yet.”

“As long as I have you, Flame, I can face any dark cloud that comes along.”

Draco brought his lips down to Ginny’s, and they stood there for several long minutes, drowning in their love for each other. “If I haven’t said it before, thank you for loving me and making a family with me.”

“Thank you for coming back to me and helping me create a whole new family.”

“Love you,” they both said in unison as they made their way upstairs to tuck in their children and hope that in time they would all meet their own Dragon Prince or Flame Princess.

TBC with the epilogue.
Leave a Review