The Dragon Prince and His Flame Princess by tigereyes320

A/N: I have to thank my beta Jenny yet again for getting this back to me so quickly. I have to thank echo for letting me (reluctantly) borrow her pairing of Katie Bell with Percy from “Absolutely Spiffing” (a great read by the way). I like constructive feedback. tigereyes320@hotmail.com

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Chapter 4 – Interlude 2

The next afternoon, Draco was in his study after lunch, working on some paperwork for his family’s holdings. Out of the corner of his eye, Draco saw of flash of long, silver blond hair. He smiled to himself and continued to work. Draco saw her peek around the chair at him and duck back around it. He heard her sweet giggle as she tried to hide.

“Marissa, was there something you needed?”

Draco heard her gasp as she jumped from behind the chair at the sound of his voice. “Daddy, you scawed me,” Marissa said as she stood in front of him with her tiny fists on her hips. Draco’s lips quirked; Ginny looked just like that when she scolded him for something. He couldn’t believe how much his girls looked like Ginny.

“What are you up to, Molly Narcissa Louise Malfoy? Have you been doing something you shouldn’t?” Draco looked down, trying very hard to frown into those supposedly big, brown eyes.

Marissa made a face as her father used her full, given name. She smirked at him. “I been good, Daddy I just wanted to see you before I gots to take a nap. Mummy and Nanny says I gots to take one.”

Draco beckoned her closer. “If you don’t take a nap, you won’t be able to stay up with your brothers and sister to hear more of your story,” he wheedled. As much as he loved her, Marissa was such a Malfoy when it came to getting her own way. “If you don’t behave, your mum won’t let you play Quidditch with your cousins on Sunday when we go to Grandmum’s for supper.”

“Are dey all gonna be dere?” Marissa asked suspiciously. Daddy never lied, but he could twist things around sometimes.

Before Draco could answer her, they both heard Ginny’s voice as it carried through the open library door. “Marissa ”

“Eeep,” Marissa shrieked as she ran behind Draco in an attempt to hide.

“Busted, sweet-pea,” Draco said as he peered behind him into her sweet, little face.

“Daaadeee ” Marisa said, her fists holding onto his pants as she tried to climb up into his arms.

Draco sighed and picked her up.

“Can’t I sit in here with you, Daddy? Pweese?” Marissa asked plaintively.

“Let’s ask Mummy,” Draco said as he inwardly cursed himself for falling for the same pair of brown eyes again. It was the same with Ally, who was her mother’s twin. “Okay. Go get your blanket. You can lie on the sofa, while I do some more work. But you have to lie down and be quiet. You also have to tell your mum.”

“Oh-tay, Daddy,” Marissa said, throwing her arms around his neck and hugging him tight. She reached up and kissed his cheek enthusiastically, before wiggling down and running from the room.

Draco stood there for a second and watched her go.

“You do know she has you wrapped around her little finger?” Draco watched as Ginny said this, leaning against doorway with a smirk. How dare she A smirk, no, his smirk on her lovely face.

“That’s my smirk you have on your face, Weasley,” Draco said as he watched his wife – Merlin he loved thinking of her like that. He frowned as he saw the faint circles underneath her eyes. Even though they’d made love last night, they’d fallen asleep before eleven o’clock. Ginny also slept in this morning; usually she was up by seven with Nate. Today she could barely stir by nine. Fear gnawed at his stomach. There couldn’t be anything wrong with his Ginny. Draco controlled his voice when he said, “Ginny, maybe you should take a nap as well. Let Nanny watch out for the kids for awhile.”

“Draco. . .” Ginny began; she was cut off as Marissa came barreling in.

“I weady, Daddy,” Marissa said as came in, trailing the lavender blanket that Molly Weasley had made her when she was born. ”Mummy Daddy said I could have a lie in on his sofa, if I was quiet and you say it’s ohtay. Ohtay? Pweese?”
At Ginny’s nod of approval, Draco was inspired.

“Marissa, how about if your mum lies down with you for a bit?”

Marissa began to dance around her parents. “Goody I gets to sleep with Mummy ”

“Draco, I don’t need a—“

“Please, Ginny. For me and my peace of mind. I want you to go to the medi-wizard tomorrow. You still look too tired. Besides, how can I get your Christmas present if you’re always with me? You take a nap; I’ll have a chance to go pick it up.”

“Draco,” Ginny said, about to protest again; she saw the look in his eyes, the terror underneath the concern. “I’m not going to leave you or our family, not without one hell of a fight,” she whispered as she drew him to her in a hug. “If it will put your mind at ease, I’ll lay down with Marissa. But you are not to get me anything extravagant for Christmas.”

“Ginny ”

“Draco ” Ginny looked into Draco’s eyes, with her arms still around his neck. She traced the planes of his face with one of her fingers. “I have everything I ever wanted. A handsome husband. Healthy, beautiful children. A great career, and a wonderful home. I don’t need fancy jewelry or expensive stuff.”

“I know you don’t need them, but I like giving them to you. I see you are wearing my anniversary gift,” Draco said as he touched the diamond earrings and necklace he had given her the past June.

Ginny reached up to touch the simple one-carat diamond solitaire necklace and matching earrings. She sighed. He loved giving her gifts. “Promise me it’s nothing ostentatious.”

“I promise,” Draco said as he leaned down to kiss her.
When they broke apart, he looked at her sternly.

“Now, onto the couch with you,” he commanded firmly.
They looked down at the couch and saw Marissa there, barely awake with her little face resting on her fist.

“Daddy, when I gwow up, can I mawwy you?” Marissa asked sleepily.

Ginny removed her shoes and laid down on the couch and settled Marissa in her arms, as Draco covered them both with Marissa’s blanket.

“No, sweetie, you can’t marry me. I’m already taken by Mummy. But we’ll help you find your own prince. Okay?” Draco said as he kissed them both on the forehead. They were both asleep before he finished his sentence.

Draco walked out of the library and left the door open a crack. He went upstairs and informed Nanny where Ginny and Marissa were and let her know he’d be out for the rest of the afternoon. Draco made his way back to the living room and was about to pass it on his way to get his cloak. He would soon be on his way to Diagon Alley.

“Draco Malfoy ” A green cloud came from the fireplace, out of which his father’s face appeared.

Draco bit back a groan as he saw his father. “Yes, Father? What can I do for you?”

“You’re looking well, son,” Lucius said, giving a slight smile. “Your mother was hoping you and your family could come by for tea or something this weekend. Your mother has been missing her grandchildren.”

Draco bit his tongue at the idea of mentioning to his father that he also looked anxious to see the children. “I’m sorry, Father; this Sunday we’ve already promised to visit Ginny’s parents. All of her brothers will be there with their families. I’d say we could meet up on Saturday, but I don’t want Ginny overdoing it. She’s been feeling a bit tired lately. I think seeing her parents and her brothers might perk her up a bit.”

“Is Ginny all right?” Lucius said as he frowned. He was rather fond of his daughter-in-law. She might not have come from the richest of families, but she had saved theirs. Ginny also made his son happy, and while he’d never admit it out loud, it meant a lot to him that she did.

“We think so. She’s going to the medi-wizard tomorrow. Why don’t we plan for getting together next weekend? Ally and Nick are coming back from Hogwarts for the holidays. We pick them up next Friday. I know they’d like to see you,” Draco suggested.

“I can’t believe I’ve got grandchildren that are first years already. Did they get my owl after they were sorted? I hope they don’t think I was disappointed that they didn’t make Slytherin.”

“Yes, they got it. I wasn’t surprised when they were sorted into Ravenclaw. With Hermione being one of their godmothers, it wasn’t a shock. They’ve always been voracious readers. In fact they are ranking right behind their cousins Annie, Harry and Henry. They plan to go for out for the Quidditch team next year, what with half the team graduating,” Draco said with quiet pride.

“Well, with a Chaser for a mother and a Seeker for a father, I can’t say I’m surprised. In that case, I know your wife’s rule about extravagant gifts for the children, but maybe she’d allow an exception in this case. I could make it a combination Christmas and birthday gift. Do you know what position will be open?” Lucius asked.

“I believe there are all four positions open. I don’t know what they’ll go for. You could owl and ask them. I know they enjoy hearing from both you and Mother. I really should get going; I have to pick up a few Christmas gifts for the family and Ginny. You’ll let me know about next weekend?”

“I’ll check with your mother, but I don’t think it’ll be a problem. If Ginny’s still tired, we can come to you. We just would like to see you. I’ll let you know tomorrow. I know I don’t always say this, but I’m glad you have found happiness with Ginny and the children. You tell Ginny I said to take it easy. I can’t have the mother of my grandchildren not feeling well.”

“I’ll tell her, Father. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” Draco watched as his father disappeared. He left the living room, got his cloak and left the house. He shook his head; Ginny would be so tickled about the fact his father was concerned about her. He took out his wand and Apparated to the Leaky Cauldron.

He went up and said “hi” to Tom, who still ran the place. He decided to have a butterbeer for old time’s sake. No sooner had Tom placed it in front of him, than he felt a hand on his shoulder.

“Well, lookey here, Harry. You and I are out doing a bit of shopping for the wives, and who do we run into but our favorite brother-in-law,” Ron chortled as he sat down beside Draco.

Draco didn’t bat an eyelash as he coolly remarked, ”Weasley you’ve been married to Granger for twelve years, has nothing rubbed off on you? I’m your only brother-in-law. So of course it stands to reason that I’m your favorite.”
Harry had to laugh at that and the scowl on Ron’s face as he sat on Draco’s other side.

“Join me, why don’t you?” Draco asked sarcastically. He took a good look at them; Weasley had grown into his hands and feet. Draco hated to admit it, but Ron had an inch or two on him, and Harry and he were around the same height. Harry was still wiry but now had some meat on his bones.

Ron motioned to Tom to bring him and Harry the same as Draco. “Seriously, Draco. What are you doing here? You don’t usually come without Ginny or the kids.”

“My lovely wife is taking a nap with Marissa. The other children are also resting or being looked after by Nanny. I thought I would take this opportunity to pick up some Christmas gifts.”

“Ginny’s taking a nap? Is she not feeling well? That’s usually the only time she takes one,” Harry asked as he took a long draw from his butterbeer bottle.

“She’s been really tired the past few days. I’m making her go to the medi-wizard tomorrow.”

“Tired? My sister Ginny tired? The only time that Ginny was really tired was when she was pregnant. Remember, Harry? When she was pregnant with the twins, she slept all the time. With Jules, it was that god-awful morning sickness, and with my ‘Mione, it was bloody vicious mood swings and weird cravings. She isn’t, is she? I thought you had decided to stop after Nate,” Ron said as he finished his butterbeer.

Draco pondered his words as he finished his own drink. Realization dawned as Ginny’s symptoms took on a familiar form. When she was in the early weeks of her pregnancy, she was always exhausted. “Oh no Ginny’s going to kill me,” he groaned.

Ron patted him on the shoulder companionably. “That is okay. Mum will love you. You and Ginny will have surpassed the amount of kids she had with Dad. You’re having your own population explosion, Malfoy. I think you’re right to have her checked out though. Better be safe than sorry.”

“You will be there on Sunday?”

“With bells on. So, Malfoy, what are you buying my sister for Christmas? The biggest diamond in existence.”

“The only reason she accepted the diamonds for our anniversary is they weren’t big. Actually, I have something in mind for her. I’m getting all the ladies of the family a mother’s necklace. For Mum and my mother, grandmother necklaces. ‘Mione gave me the idea.”

“That’s my wife, the brilliant one. Harry and Annie take after her. What’s a mother’s necklace? Why are you getting my wife one?” Ron asked a bit suspiciously; he might like Draco now, but the idea of ferret boy buying his ‘Mione a gift, he didn’t know about that.

“Because Ginny will think it’s extravagant; she’ll only accept hers if I give one to all my sisters-in-law. It’s a necklace that shows the birthstones of your children. I’m having them make the necklaces in various shapes for each mum.”

“They’ll get a kick out of that. Trying to make us look bad, Draco?” Harry asked jokingly.

“I don’t have to try.”

“Funny, Malfoy. Very funny.”

“So what are you two getting your wives?” Draco asked.

“Actually I wanted to talk to you about that, Draco. I was hoping you’d let me use your villa in Italy. Now that Christy is three, I thought I could take ‘Mione for a second honeymoon. Actually, it’d be a first; we never really went on one the first time,” Ron said with a smile on his face.

“Sure, just let me know when. The only thing is, are we taking the kids? Normally, I don’t mind the house overflowing with them, but if Ginny is pregnant, I don’t want her overdoing it.”

“Actually they’ll stay with us,” Harry interjected. “I was hoping you’d let Jules and I borrow it, too. Ron and ‘Mione will watch ours when we go.”

“Sure. As long as it isn’t right after Christmas. I’m taking Ginny there for a week or two to relax.”

“I was hoping for Valentine’s. It’s a special anniversary for me and ‘Mione,” Ron said, raising his eyebrows suggestively.

“I was hoping for late April, myself,” Harry said.

“That’ll be fine. I’ll let the servants know when to expect you. What else are you getting them?”

“I found a few books for her. She asked for a spa day like she spends with Ginny. I found this sweater – she still likes Muggle clothes – in the same periwinkle blue her dress robes were in fourth year.” Ron smiled at the memory of his wife at the Yule Ball when he first realized how much she meant to him.

“Sounds like she’ll enjoy that. How about you, Harry? What are you getting Jules?”

“Well, she’s been dying to redecorate the house. So I’ve decided as a Christmas gift, she gets to redo the house top to bottom, with the only exception being my study.”

“Lucky you. Anytime I see something for Ginny, I have to think on whether or not she’ll think it’s too extravagant; if it is, she won’t accept it. That’s why I’m buying necklaces for everyone; she can’t turn it down. Hey, Ron, are you missing Annie and Harry yet? I hate to admit it, but I really miss Nick and Ally.”

“Horribly. Thought I’d bawl when we saw them off.
Hermione’s constantly owling them and sending care packages. With Katie and Percy’s Kaleb there, as well as George’s Sean and Alex, and Fred’s Livie and Aubrey, they are in good hands. I did hear one thing though.”

“What did you hear?”

“Snape doesn’t like not being able to penalize Ravenclaw when Nick and Ally are in his class. I guess he doesn’t like to take away points from his godchildren,” Ron said confidentially.

“Yeah, I can’t believe I share godfather duties with Snape.”

“You can’t believe it. I can’t believe Harry Potter is a godfather to my children, along with Katie Bell-Weasley and Hermione Granger-Weasley as godmothers. I wasn’t surprised though. I never asked her why Snape.”

“I can answer that. He got her through the first weeks without you. I don’t think she would have made it without him. When she discovered she was pregnant, she bounced back to her old self. The minute she discovered she was pregnant, she went and told him he would be one of this baby’s godfathers. She wouldn’t take no for an answer,” Ron reminisced.

“I was glad she avoided the stigma a lot of unwed mothers face.”

“Well, with all the Weasleys showing their support, it helped. Your parents publicly saying that their only child’s fiancée was carrying the heir to the Malfoy family name and fortune pretty much sealed it for her.”

The three good-looking men stood.

“I’ll get this round, mates. Why don’t you come with me to pick up the necklaces? We can see if there is anything else we can get the family for Christmas,” Draco offered.

“Lead the way, Draco.”

Draco, Ron and Harry left the Leaky Cauldron and made their way to the wall behind it. Harry stuck out his wand and tapped the appropriate bricks. They made quite a picture entering Diagon Alley. Three handsome and well-built men, who didn’t distract themselves with all the stares that followed them.

Draco led them to the jewelry store, Adamo Aura. He nodded to the manager, Draco whispered to Harry and Ron, ”Wait until you see the bow down and kiss your butt routine this manager has down.”

Ron and Harry exchanged a look that clearly said, Only Malfoy would get a kick out of this.

“Mr. Malfoy, so good of you to visit our humble, little shop. May I hope that you are doing a bit of shopping for that lovely wife of yours?”

“Actually, Mr. Tremont, I’m here to pick up the necklaces I had made. Are they ready yet?” Draco asked, letting his voice slide into that “You and I both know I could go elsewhere” tone he used to display in school all the time.
Harry and Ron had difficulty keeping straight faces throughout this exchange.

“Daddy ” a little girl’s voice blew the silence in the shop to shreds. A little red and brown blur was seen as it tackled Ron. The clerks in the store had to fight to keep the sneers off of their faces. If the man in question had not been with their best customer, Mr. Malfoy, they would most certainly have been asked to leave the premises.

“Christina Lynette ” Hermione’s voice came through the open door of the shop. It was soon followed by the sight of her entering the store. “What have I told you about running away from me?”

“But I saw Daddy, Mummy,” Christy said as tears welled up in her big, brown eyes. She rubbed at them with one little fist, while leaning against her father’s leg. Hermione shook her head in exasperation.

“Hi, Christy,” Harry and Draco said together.

“Hi Unca Dwaco, Unca Hawwy.” Christy showered them with a smile.

“Christy ” Ron did his best to sound firm; it was always a losing battle with this one. She just had to look just like Hermione, bushy hair and big, brown eyes.

“I sowwy, Daddy. I sowwy, Mummy. I didn’t mean to run ‘way,” Christy said as she sniffled.

Ron picked her up and held her close. “I think someone is tired. Why don’t you and Mummy go home so you can rest a bit?” He caught Hermione’s eyes and winked at her while
crooking a finger at her, gesturing her closer.

“I not tired, Daddy. Unca Dwaco, hold me pweese?” Christy asked as she held out her arms confidently to Draco.

He lifted her easily into his arms.

Once Ron had lost his daughter, he pulled Hermione in for a long kiss. “I’ve been wanting to do that for quite some time now.”

“When don’t you want to do that? Good afternoon, Harry, Draco,” Hermione joked as she turned to kiss her brother-in-law and her best friend.

“You’re looking well, Hermione. Marriage to this bloke seems to agree with you,” Harry said jokingly.

“What can I say? He grew on me. What are you doing in here? Ron You promised nothing crazy for Christmas.”

“I’m not buying anything, ‘Mione, this time. I’m here with Draco. He’s picking up some Christmas gifts,” Ron defended himself.

“Is this where you got Ginny’s diamond necklace and earrings? They were beautiful. What are you getting her? Can I see?”

“NO ” all three men said at the same time.

“’Mione? If you really liked Ginny’s necklace, why didn’t you let me buy you one for our anniversary?”

“Ron, don’t be ridiculous. I’d look foolish in diamonds. Come on, Christy, let’s let the men finish their shopping. We’ll meet you at Fortescue’s for some ice cream, right?” Hermione said as she held out her arms for her youngest child. “I mean it, Ron. I don’t need anything like this.” She gave him a quick kiss and waved to the other two as she left the shop.

“I hate it when she does that.” Ron sighed.

“Does what, Ron?” Harry asked.

“’Mione doesn’t think she’s pretty, so why should I waste jewelry on her? I think she’s beautiful. Christy is going to look just like her. But every time I try to get her something that isn’t practical, she makes me return it. She almost didn’t accept her engagement ring because she thought it was too pretty.”

Draco thought for a second. Ron had a point. He loved Hermione dearly, but she was practical to a fault. “Isn’t Hermione’s birthday in September, Ron?”

“Yes. Why?”

“Look at that.” Draco pointed to a display that had a pendant and earring set like Ginny’s but in the deep blue of a sapphire. “It is pretty, but not overly so, and it isn’t as expensive as diamonds are. Think she’d let you get her that? Or maybe that one?” He pointed to a couple of similar displays set with different stones, pearl and opal among them.

Harry walked over and picked up a ruby set. “Jules would like this. Her birthday is in July as well.”

“I dunno, Draco. You heard what Hermione said. If I’ve learned nothing else during my marriage, it’s not to cross my wife.”

“I’m not saying go completely against her. Maybe you should tell her why it’s important to you for her have it.”

“Ron, Draco, look at this ” Harry exclaimed.

They went over to where he was pointing at something in a cabinet.

“What do you see, Harry?”

“Wouldn’t that be great for Lily? She’s always telling me she’s growing up. Think she’d like that?” Harry pointed to a gold, heart-shaped locket with a birthstone on it. “Sort of a ‘I know you’re growing up’ gift.”

“Ally would love one of those,” Draco agreed.

“So would Annie,” Ron said, nodding his head. “And if I give something like that to Annie, Hermione would have to accept hers. Where is that snooty manager?”

As if he heard, the manager came out, carrying several wrapped boxes. “Here you go, Mr. Malfoy. I took the liberty of adding a tag per lady. Was there anything else?”

“Actually I’ll take one of those lockets. I need it with a garnet, and can I have a name engraved on the back?” Draco requested politely. “You’ll be able to have it done in an hour? And delivered to my home?”

“Certainly, sir.”

“Thank you. You can, of course, take the cost of it out of vault twenty-five at Gringotts. Now, I believe my brothers-in-law have a few purchases.” Draco gathered up his packages and performed a shrinking spell on them.

Less then ten minutes later, Harry and Ron had concluded their own business, and all three men left the shop.

“You two want join Hermione and myself for some ice cream at Fortescue’s?”

“Sure,” Harry replied. “I want to go by Quality Quidditch Supplies anyway.”

“No thanks; I want to get back to Ginny. I’ve been gone close to two hours. I’ll see you two on Sunday.”

“Okay, Draco, see you then,” Ron said as he and Harry headed for Fortescue’s

Draco gave them a wave before taking out his wand and Apparating home.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^

“Daddy?” Shannon asked, looking up from her coloring. “Are you finishing the story tonight?”

“You think I should?”

“Yes. Please?”

Draco looked over at Ginny, who seemed to be dozing off on the sofa. “I’ll tell you what. Why don’t all four of you sleep in the boys’ room tonight? We’ll have a camp out. Go get your blankets and pillows and meet me in Jason and David’s room. Go get.”

The children ran from the room to get everything ready.
Draco went over to Ginny, where she was relaxing on the sofa with her eyes closed. Draco picked her up in his arms.

Ginny stirred when being held against his chest. “My Dragon Prince. Are you here to carry me away?”

“No, my Flame Princess. I’m just here to make sure you take care of yourself.”

“I need to tuck the children in—“

“I’ll tuck them in. Ginny, do you remember the last time your were this tired all the time?” Draco asked as he set her on their bed.

“No.” Ginny sat up as Draco sat beside her.

“It was over two years ago, while you were carrying Nate, to be precise.”

“But that would mean. . . I’d have to be. . .” Ginny roused herself to count on her fingers. “Oh my God. I’m pregnant.”

“When you go to the medi-wizard tomorrow, they’ll probably confirm that.”

“Are you upset? We didn’t really plan Nate. Another baby will make eight.”

“I want any child we make. I’m surprised, but I’m not unhappy. Do you think it’ll be a boy or a girl?”

“What do you want, another boy?”

“I’d kind of like to round things out, have another little girl. You go to sleep. I’ll tell the kids the next chapter of our story. You get some sleep. I’ll be in soon.” Draco kissed her forehead as he got off the bed.

“I love you, Dragon,” Ginny called out as he left the room.

“I love you more, Flame,” Draco called back as he walked down the hall to the boys’ room.

Draco walked into Jason and David’s room and stifled a laugh. Shannon and Marissa were sprawled out in the middle of the room, surrounded by blankets and pillows and at least a dozen stuffed animals and dolls.

“So where did I leave off last night?” he asked.

“The handsome pwince and the beautiful pwincess were just about to kiss,” Marissa said.

“Prince Draco just said, ‘Well, never let it be said that a Malfoy walks away from a challenge,’” Jason said. “Dad, does he have to kiss her? It’s gross.”

“I’ll remind you of that statement in about ten years. Well, it is part of the story.”

“Aw wight, Dad. Start the story?” David asked.

“Okay. Well, after the prince said that, there was only one thing left for him to do…” Draco began.
Leave a Review