The Dragon Prince and His Flame Princess by tigereyes320

A/N: I have to thank my betas Jenny and PhoenixRae. I have to thank echo for letting me borrow her pairing of Katie Bell with Percy from “Absolutely Spiffing” (a great read, by the way; if you want to read it, let me know. I’ll forward you the link). I like constructive feedback. tigereyes320@hotmail.com I want to thank everyone again who has reviewed and said they liked the story; I really appreciate it.

Interlude 3

Draco stopped again at this point of his story. The children were sound asleep. He went around to each one and tucked them into their beds. Draco then turned to leave the room; he knew he was very blessed in his children. Even if they had, for the most part, inherited his smirk and their mother’s temper.

Walking down the hall towards his bedroom, Draco stopped to check on Nate and found him sound asleep. Draco eased the door closed until it was only opened a crack. Then he walked across the hall into his and Ginny’s bedroom. He slipped into the bathroom, quickly performing his nightly ritual of brushing his teeth and getting dressed for bed. He exited the bathroom and saw Ginny curled up in the middle of their bed, with all the covers wrapped around her. She was such a bed hog when he wasn’t there.

Draco got in on his side of the bed, tugging the blankets free, and spooned his body behind Ginny’s. He wrapped his arms around her, and she snuggled into him. Draco traced her sleeping visage with his fingers. He placed his hand over her abdomen where the baby lay. He knew it was ridiculous, but whenever he did this to Ginny during her pregnancies, it made him feel closer to her, that he was protecting his child.

Draco drew Ginny closer, closed his eyes and fell asleep.

^*^*^*^

“Ginny, what is taking you so long? Your parents are expecting us ” Draco shouted up the stairs. “What IS your mother doing?” Draco asked of Shannon and Jason.

“I don’t think Marissa wanted to dress up. She and Davy wanted to play in their fort today,” Shannon said as she looked up from the book she was reading.

Jason wasn’t paying attention, as he was watching cartoons on the television. Ginny had insisted the children be exposed to Muggle things early on. They also had a few computers.

Draco turned his attention back to his daughter. “She didn’t, eh? What are you reading, munchkin?”

“A book Aunt ‘Mione bought for me, Charlotte’s Web,” Shannon said, giving her dad a sweet smile. “It’s by a Muggle, Daddy.”

“I know it is. Munchkin, you can read anything your aunts or uncles give you. With the exception of your Uncles George and Fred. I want your mum or me to read them first. Okay?”

Shannon looked up at Draco. Grey eyes met grey eyes. Draco crouched down until he was level with her.

“Is something wrong, Shannon?” Draco asked, concerned, as her eyes seemed to darken.

“It’s nothing, Daddy.”

“Shannon Charlotte Marie, tell me what’s wrong,” Draco demanded as he rose and sat beside her on the sofa.

“Are you and Mummy having another baby?”

Draco rolled his eyes. Dear Merlin, help me he prayed. “Yes, Shannon. Your mum and I are going to have another baby. In fact we’re telling your grandmum and grandpa today. It’ll be nice, don’t you think? A baby closer to Nate’s age.”

“Yes, Daddy,” Shannon said quietly.

“Ah, Shannon Sweetheart, what’s wrong? This isn’t like you,” Draco said, a bit worried. Shannon was never this sedate.

“Nothing’s wrong, Daddy. I’m fine.”

“No. You’re not. Talk to me, Shannon. Tell me you know you’re just as important as this baby is.”

“Why?”

“Why? ” Draco asked, shocked at her question. He glanced over at Jason again, who was now happily playing with his X-Box 5000. He focused his attention back on Shannon.

“Yeah. Why am I as important? I’m not the oldest. I’m not a twin. I’m certainly not the youngest,” Shannon said matter-of-factly.

Draco was in complete shock. How could any of his children doubt how much he and Ginny adored them?

Shannon looked up at her father, and her eyes darkened at the look she saw on her father’s face. “I don’t mean to make you mad, Daddy.”

“I’m not mad, Shannon. I don’t know what to tell you. You and your brothers and sisters mean everything to your mother and me. I couldn’t love you more if I tried. If anything, you and Jason have always been little bit closer to miraculous to me.”

“Really? Why?”

Draco pulled Shannon onto his lap and cuddled her close. “Shannon, you know your mum, along with everyone else, thought I was dead for almost three years. While I was believed dead, your mum had Nick and Ally. I found my way back days before they turned two. When I came back, I knew I was blessed just by being alive. It was even better when I realized your mum still loved and wanted to make a life with me.

“When your mum agreed to marry me, I asked if she would want more children, and she said yes. However, we’d been trying for awhile, and your mum still wasn’t pregnant. We were beginning to think, because of how badly I’d been hurt, there might not be any more babies. Not that we gave up; we figured we were young. Then we celebrated our first anniversary. Your mum’s gift to me was to tell me you were on the way.”

Draco decided to elaborate a bit more. “I was so ecstatic. I’d missed out on everything with the twins – the finding out, watching your mum grow big with them, feeling them kick at me, first steps, and first words, I missed all of that. With you, and then with Jason, I was able to experience it. I remember when you were born; you looked like a little scrunched up gnome; you had this red hair, and you were screaming. Your face was as red as your hair. The medi-wizard put you in my arms, and you stopped crying immediately. You looked at me with those big, gray eyes of yours. Your mother says we were sizing each other up. Jason joined the family thirteen months later, then came the twins, and then Nate, and now this one.”

“So I was your first baby?”

“Yes, you were. Shannon, your mum and I didn’t set out to have eight children. We don’t ‘plan’ to have any more, but if they come along, they come along. I think any baby would be pretty lucky to be born into our family; don’t you think so?”

“Yeah, I do. I’m sorry, Daddy. I didn’t mean to be selfish about the new baby. I know you and Mummy love me and the rest of us. I just felt not so special there for a minute.”

“I know how you feel. You should talk to your Uncle Ron. He used to feel that way too. You just need to find your niche in this world. Whether it’s Quidditch, wizard’s chess, healing, writing, potions, herbology, running a business, working at the Ministry, or even art, I have no doubt you’ll make quite a mark in this world. Then I’ll be able to brag and tell everyone that Shannon Malfoy is my daughter. I don’t want you in too big a hurry to grow up though; I like knowing some of my girls are still ‘Daddy’s little girls.’”

Shannon reached up and hugged her daddy close. She liked the way his hugs always smelled of spice and the sea. He was the best daddy ever, even if all her uncles liked to tease him horribly. She leaned over and gave him a kiss.
Ginny stood at the door; she had shamelessly been eavesdropping on their conversation. She made a note with herself to spend some quality time with Shannon soon.

“All right,” Ginny said as she came in the room. “We’re ready. Jason Turn off the box and the telly. We’re going to Grandmum’s.”

“Gin, why don’t I take Shannon and Jason? Then you can go with Nate, and I’ll follow with Marissa and David,” Draco suggested.

“Okay.” Ginny nodded.

Draco took Jason and Shannon’s hands in his. Jason and Shannon, who were holding the Floo powder, threw it down, and they all shouted, “The Burrow ”

They disappeared in green flames.

Ginny looked down at Marissa, who had her bottom lip stuck out and her father’s old expression of unhappiness on her face.

“Marissa Stop pouting. You and Davy can play in your fort tomorrow. You know you don’t get to see all your uncles and aunts except sometimes during summer holidays. You also know you haven’t seen your grandmum for a few weeks.” Ginny stood there, explaining the situation to her daughter. She acts just like her father. I have a feeling I’ve got a Slytherin here.

Draco popped back out of the fireplace and took Marissa and David’s hands. “Ginny, you go ahead with Nate. We’ll follow behind you in a bit.”

Ginny nodded and stepped into the fireplace. She made sure Nate was strapped into the carrier Draco had enlarged for Floo travel. Ginny took a handful of Floo powder and dropped it down. “The Burrow,” she shouted.

The world twisted and turned, then stopped as she stepped out of the fireplace and into her favorite kind of chaos.

“Ginny ” Arthur Weasley said as he gave Ginny a hug and kiss. “Let me have that grandson of mine. You go say hello to your mum. Draco coming with the twins?”

“Yep, he’s bringing Marissa and David. Be good for Grandpa, Nate. Daddy, if he starts fussing, bring him back to me,” Ginny said as she kissed his cheek.

“Ginny I helped your mother raise seven children. I know how to handle a fussy baby. Go, Nate and I’ll go watch his older cousins play Quidditch.”

Ginny shook her head as she went toward the kitchen. She and her brothers had all chipped in and put the Burrow under a spell so it could magically enlarged at will. The living room and kitchen could now be almost ten times larger than they used to be; this came in handy during the holidays. Ginny stepped into the kitchen and saw five of her six brothers and her sisters-in-law helping with the evening meal. Molly Weasley was sitting at the kitchen table, directing the cooking and surrounded by five of her younger grandchildren.

“Hello, Mum,” Ginny said as she went to kiss her mother.

“Hello, love,” Molly said as she kissed her cheek in return. It was so hard to believe her baby now had babies of her own.

“Hi, Aunt Ginny ” her bevy of nieces and nephews chorused from their grandmother’s lap.

“GINNY ” Her brothers abandoned their wives momentarily to greet their sister.

“Gred, look at our little Ginnikins Ain’t she bee-you-te-full ” George said as he wiped a “tear” from his eye.

“Yes, indeed, Forge, bee-you-te-full. O’ course, not as beautiful as my Angelina,” Fred said as he grabbed his wife, dipped her back and planted a huge kiss on her.

“DAD That’s my mum you’re snogging Oh gross ” George, Fred’s oldest son, who was eight going on nine, said with a screwed up face. He might have had his mother’s darker coloring, but his features were all Weasley.

“You shut up, Georgie ” Diana, George’s eldest daughter and the same age as her cousin, said as she smacked him on the side of the head. “I think it’s lovely. Daddy does it with Mum all the time.” She smiled up at her father, who had his arm around his wife, Alicia.

Marissa came running into the kitchen, closely followed by her brother and her father. “Grandmum ” She threw herself into her grandmother’s arms.

“Marissa ” Molly shouted back as she caught her namesake in her arms.

Draco walked up behind Ginny, put his arms around her waist and kissed her on the temple.

The rest of the family came closer to the table as they caught up on the happenings in each other’s lives.

“Wait a minute Where are Perfect Percy and Katibell?” George asked.

“George A better question would be where are my older grandchildren?” Molly asked, shaking a finger at her son.

“Mum, the older grandkids are outside playing Quidditch, and as for Katie and Percy. . .anyone check the swing on the front porch?” Bill said with a wink at his wife, Fleur. She giggled and blew him a kiss.

“Or the attic?” Ron suggested with a smirk.

“There’s always the hall closet,” chimed in Fred and George.

“Maybe they’re in his old bedroom,” Charlie volunteered before wrapping his arms around his wife, Laura.

“They’re probably hogging the loo,” Harry said as he came to the table.

“I hate to say it, but they could be under the stairs,” Arthur said with a smile.

“Has anyone checked under the kitchen table? I remember that also being a favorite place of theirs to snog,” Ginny asked, giggling.

All of the adults looked at each other, and then, as one, they crouched down to peek under the table, to see if Katie and Percy were there.

They weren’t.

“PERCY ” Molly shouted.

“MUM We aren’t deaf,” Percy said as he and Katie walked in, holding hands. “Katie and I are right here. We were refereeing the game outside. I think Pam and Kali both are going to take after their mum with those arms of theirs.” Percy gave Katie’s hand a squeeze and then pulled her toward him to give her a kiss. Katie’s arms went around his neck, and the kiss got longer and deeper.

“Not again ” Fred and George groaned simultaneously.

Charlie and Bill both poked the twins as if to say, It’s your own fault. You set the two of them up.

Molly watched her eight children – she had always considered Harry her eighth child – with their spouses around her table. She watched as Percy and Katie snogged happily. Percy had always worried her; he had always been so driven, even as a child. Molly had been afraid he would never find someone who could appreciate that about him and force him to let go of his rigidity as well.

Molly fought the smile creeping across her face. “Percy Katie That is enough. Honestly, is that any way for the youngest ever Assistant to the Minister of Magic to act?”

“Actually, you should see how Minister Amos Diggory acts when his wife comes into the office,” Percy deadpanned.

“How is he doing these days?” Harry asked, with a twinge of guilt that never really went away.

“He’s doing great. So is his family. You do know that, after Voldemort fell, he and his wife adopted several children. They wanted to help children who had lost their parents, as they had lost a child. They also created that park in Cedric’s name. He’s a Minister I’m proud to be working directly under,” Percy said, raising his glass in silent toast to the memory of Cedric and the Minister of Magic.

The rest of his family followed suit.

“Come on, everyone; refill your glasses. I’ve something to say to all of you,” Molly directed the family. Once everyone had a drink in their hand, she continued. “I just wanted to take this chance to say something I don’t always remember to say. Your father and I are so proud of all of you. I know I was one of the few lucky mothers in this war. You don’t know how many times I would just sit in front of that clock, sometimes all night long, praying to Merlin I wouldn’t see that clock move to ‘Dead.’ But I was blessed; all of my children came out of that war alive. To know you not only survived but flourished, both professionally and personally, makes my heart glad.

“Bill, our oldest boy, now a vice president at Gringotts, even with that earring and your hair. It’s so good to see you settled with Fleur and your three children, Henry, Giselle, and Solange.” Bill raised his glass to his mum.

“Charlie, with your amazing work with the dragons, now doing all the scouting for the camp, to get new dragon workers. You and Laura are always missed, as well as your two children, Riley and Jenny.” Charlie winked at Molly.

“Our Percy, Assistant to the Minister of Magic. It’s been said that, if he wins the next election, he’ll be the youngest Minister ever. You found Katie, with some help from your brothers, who is our Hogwarts Quidditch Coach and Flying Professor, mother to my eldest grandchild, Kaleb, and went on to gift you with three more children, Pamela, Kalista, and Paul.”

“To the two sons who gave me most of my gray hair, Fred and George. There were days I despaired of you ever becoming productive members of society, and look at you now, successful businessmen. No mother could be prouder. You both found women who ground you, yet can’t live without that questionable sense of humor of yours. Fred and Angelina, with your twins, Aubrey and Olivia, and your boys, Little George and Tony. George and Alicia, with your twins, Sean and Alex, and your girls, Diana and Taylor. I do have to say one thing: Hogwarts will never be the same with the two of you each having a set of twins at Hogwarts, in the same year and house. May they give you two all the ‘joy’ you’ve given me.” Fred and George exchanged a look over their wives’ heads. They then raised their glasses in unison, in silent salute to their mother.

Molly smiled as her eyes rested on her youngest son, who had his arm wrapped around his wife. “Then there is the youngest of my boys. My Ron, my baby boy, always the last in line to get things. You’ve made such a mark in this world; you and Hermione are now synonymous with Harry’s defeat of You—Voldemort. You were the one I feared losing the most. You see, I knew I’d raised you to be an honorable and trustworthy person. As Harry’s best friend, I knew wherever he went you would follow to guard his back. Look at you, an ex-Auror, now a Ministry official in the Department of Questionable Activities with Harry. You’ve built a beautiful life and family with your ‘Mione, who is the Director of Research at the Ministry. Your boys, Harry, Damien, and Josh, and your girls, Annie, Carly, and Christy. I’m so glad you’ve found happiness with your life.” Molly stopped for a moment as her eyes filled with tears.

Ron stepped away from Hermione and went to his mother. He stooped down and drew his mother into a hug. “I love you, Mum,” he said as he kissed her cheek.

Molly wiped the tears from her eyes as she pushed him back to Hermione. “Go on with you now; you’ll make me cry.” She turned to Ginny and smiled. “Then there’s my Ginny. My baby. I’d given up on ever having a little girl after six boys, and to be honest, the medi-wizards said after Ron there couldn’t be anymore babies. Then there you were. Bill, Charlie and Percy had no idea what to think of you, this little angel with red curls and big, brown eyes. Then you went to Hogwarts, and we nearly lost you. No offense to Draco, but we were a little scared when you fell in love with him. A Malfoy and a Weasley after all, even if the Malfoy in question was a devilishly handsome and pleasant one,” Molly said as she winked at him. “When you thought he was gone forever, I thought we’d lose you as well. Then you had to go and tell me I was going to be a grandmother. The thought of being a mother centered you like nothing I’d ever seen. You created a career that would allow you to be with your babies and still provide a good living for you and your children. Two years later, in a wondrous Christmas gift, you, Ally and Nick got him back. Your father, that following June, finally got to give his baby girl away. And you and Draco gave us Shannon, Jason, Marissa, and David. Then came our Nate.” Molly blew a kiss to her youngest grandson, who was gnawing on a biscuit in Arthur’s arms.

“Last, but never least, Harry. I know you aren’t mine, but I’m sure your mother doesn’t mind that I think of you that way. I was always so afraid you wouldn’t have the chance to grow up and find someone to grow old with. Voldemort and his followers seemed determined you never reach eighteen. You survived it all with the help of Ron and Hermione. You went to America and found Juliana. You’re enjoying your work with Ron, and you’re a wonderful father to your daughter, Lily, and your boys, Jake, Ron and J.C.

“You children are my greatest accomplishments and the best gifts I’ve ever been given. Nothing I have ever been given means as much to me as you all do. So this is to my family; the most important lesson I’ve ever taught you is to love and support each other.”

They all raised their glasses and repeated, “To our family ” and then they drank.

Ginny cleared her throat. “I hope, Mum, you know how much we all love you. In fact, Draco and I have decided to give you one of your gifts early.”

“Ginny, I don’t need more than one gift,” Molly protested.

“Well, this one is sort of a bonus. It wasn’t exactly a planned gift. Draco and I discovered this week that in July we’ll be gifting you with your thirty-fifth grandchild.”
The hush that fell across the kitchen was horrendously loud.

“A baby? Another grandbaby,” Molly said as she rushed over to give both Draco and Ginny hugs and kisses. “You’re all right? Everything is okay with you and the baby? When in July is the baby due?”

“Mum I’m fine; the baby’s fine. He or she is due around mid July,” Ginny said as all her brothers and sisters-in-law came forward to congratulate her and Draco.

“Thirty-five grandbabies. Mum, you’ll be the envy of every woman you know,” Ron teased.

“Well, you and ‘Mione, or any of the rest of you, could always gift me with one or two or five more,” Molly said innocently.

“I, for one, would love to have more children,” Laura said wistfully.

“Now, Laura, you know what the doctors said,” Charlie said as he wrapped his arms around his wife.

“I know, but Jenny is six, and I’m not getting any younger. The doctors said that as long as we spaced the children far enough apart, I could have more children. We can think about it, can’t we?” Laura asked as she looked up at her husband.

Charlie and the other Weasley boys, including Harry, rolled their eyes at the looks their wives were exchanging with each other.

“Mum Most women would be ecstatic with thirty-five healthy and happy grandchildren. What do you want, an even forty?” Bill asked grouchily. “Fleur, don’t give me that look. You told me after Giselle was born that if I even said the word baby, you said and I quote, ‘will cutz off an important part of your anatomy,’ unquote.”

His brothers all winced at the implied threat.

“Well, I don’t know about the rest of you, but sometimes I miss the weight of carrying a baby in my arms. Someone completely dependent on you. Having each new discovery be something incredible. I don’t miss the labor though. I know I threatened Ron a time or two during mine,” Hermione volunteered.

“A Time or TWO? ‘Mione, you used words I never knew you knew. If you’d had your wand, and I said those words I would have been hexed for a month of Sundays,” Ron said, momentarily reliving his wife’s labors. “I don’t know how you women do it. You’ll never hear me call you women – Harry, what is it Muggles call them? – oh, yeah, the ‘weaker sex.’” Ron shook his head. Hermione reached up and kissed him softly. Ron wrapped his arm around her and just enjoyed holding her close.

“Actually, Mum, I’m surprised Katie and Percy didn’t give you an even dozen. As often as we catch them snogging all over this place,” Fred said as he teased his older brother and his wife.

“FRED WEASLEY ” Molly said indignantly. ”Katie is a very busy woman, with teaching, helping Percy with his career, and raising four children. Just as Angelina, Alicia, Hermione, Fleur, Laura, Ginny, and Juliana are. They have all been juggling motherhood with careers. Careers each and every one of them has worked very hard for. I admit it was difficult seeing them have careers, when my career was raising you children. Times aren’t like they were when I was younger. Women are able to do more; of course, that’s only because they have the support of their husbands and family.”

“Mum, you know we couldn’t do any of this without you,” Angelina said as the other women agreed with her.

“I’m a bit selfish; with you women working, I get to spend more time with my grandchildren and spoil them rotten.”

“I, for one, am glad you do, Mum. I know without Angelina and Alicia, George and I wouldn’t have the success we do with our business. They, and all the nieces and nephews, provide lots of ideas for our business. We learned how to work hard by watching you and Dad. We also learned from you that nothing is as important as our families. But, Mum, can we PLEASE eat now?” Fred asked plaintively.

“You boys Always thinking with your stomachs. Let’s eat.”
All of a sudden, the room was filled with the sounds of everyone getting organized to sit and eat. Molly issued orders that had everyone following her every direction.

“All right. I want the grandchildren from Pamela down to Jason to sit at the second table; the rest of the grandchildren will sit by their parents. Except for Nate, who will sit by his grandmum. Right, Nate?” Molly said as she took Nate from Arthur and put him in the highchair in which all her children had sat. She then settled herself beside him.

“Okay, Grandmum,” Kalista said. “Pam, let’s get this organized.”

“You got it, Kali. Okay, you all, let’s finish getting this show on the road,” Pam said as she bustled her cousins over to their table.

Within twenty minutes, everyone was seated and was tucking into the delicious dinner Molly and her daughters-in-law had prepared.

“Oi Malfoy Want some?” George asked as he held a bowl of mashed potatoes out to his brother-in-law.

Draco looked at it apprehensively. “What did you do to it?” he asked George suspiciously.

George gave him a look of mock outrage. “How can you think that of your favorite brother-in-law?”

“Maybe it has something to do with the first time you offered him some food,” Ginny replied as she helped herself, Marissa and David to some green beans.

“Unca George, did you do something bad to my daddy?” Marissa demanded as she scowled the Malfoy scowl at him.

“You could say that, Marissa,” Hermione said as she ducked the roll George tossed at her.

“Oh yeah, Malfoy’s first meal with us was a real eye opener,” Ron volunteered happily.

“What happened, Unca Ron?” Marissa asked as the room slowly got quiet.

“Marissa. . .” Draco began.

“Daddy, I wanna know. Pwease?” Marissa asked, giving him her puppy dog eyes.

“Go ahead, Ron; humiliate me in front of my children. You know you want to.”

“With pleasure, Draco,” Ron said with relish. “You see, Marissa, your Daddy had come to spend some of the summer holiday with us, as did Harry and Hermione. We still didn’t get along that well, even though your daddy did something really good.” He paused as he took Hermione’s hand in his and brought it to his lips for a kiss. “We had promised your mum we would be nice. We never promised not to make him a guinea pig for Fred and George’s experiments.”

“No kidding,” Draco said as he cut Marissa and David’s chicken into smaller bites.

“Oi, we waited until your mother left, didn’t we?”

“Barely.”

“What did you do to Unca Dwaco, Daddy?” Christy asked around a mouthful of squash.

“Well, Christy, it all began after Draco and his mum arrived by Floo. We had put Draco in my room with Harry and me. Mum and Mrs. Malfoy had just finished their tea, and Mrs. Malfoy was bidding Draco good-bye,” Ron began.
Leave a Review