In Which These Two Smiles Meet

Part VII

“Oh, Ginny dear!” Molly Weasley said, wrapping her daughter in a gigantic hug. “I’m so glad to see you’re all in one piece! I was so worried!”

“Why were you worried?” Ginny asked. She extracted herself from Molly and made her way to Arthur, who was sitting and reading the Daily Prophet. “Hi, Dad,” she said, kissing him on the cheek.

“Hello, dear,” Arthur said, returning to his paper.

“Why was I worried?” Molly harrumphed. “What was I to think when Mugsy arrived this morning without a letter in sight?”

“Oh!” Ginny said, startled. “I completely forgot about Mugsy! Is she all right?”

“She’s fine,” Molly said. “Though she was awfully hungry. But why would she come here at all?”

Ginny sat down at the kitchen table. “There was a fire last night in our block of flats.”

Molly gasped.

“Oh, there’s nothing really to worry about, as far as I know. I wasn’t actually there at the time, but Gwenog sent word to Alicia that nobody was hurt. We can’t stay there until they fix everything back up, though. I forgot that Mugsy wouldn’t be able to get in either. I’m glad she came here. Thanks for feeding her.”

“You’re welcome, dear,” Molly said. “So where did you stay last night? Why didn’t you come back here?”

Before Ginny could answer, there was a pop of someone Apparating. Suddenly George was in the kitchen with them. “Hello, all!” he said, swiping a biscuit from the work top. When he saw Ginny, he grinned. “Ah, Ginny! Just the person I wanted to see! I heard the most unbelievable rumor about you this morning.”

“A rumor about me?” Ginny asked, her forehead creased in confusion.

“No, a different Ginny Weasley,” George said, rolling his eyes. “Yes, you! Get this. Supposedly, not only are you dating Draco Malfoy, but you have apparently also moved in with him!” He burst into laughter.

“That’s ridiculous!” Ginny said, her face turning bright red. “I haven’t moved in with him! I’m only staying there for a few days!”

Arthur, Molly, and George all fell completely silent, and turned to stare at Ginny, eyes wide.

“You’re… You’re staying at Malfoy Manor?” Arthur asked tentatively.

“You’re dating Draco Malfoy?” Molly asked.

“You’ve got to be kidding!” George said.

With a huge sigh, Ginny said, “Yes, yes, and no, I’m not kidding.”

“How in the world did that happen?” George asked, sitting down across from Ginny.

“Well, it all started with these balls I’ve been going to,” Ginny began.

“Oh, I see,” Molly said with a small smile.

Ginny looked at her mother curiously.

“I went to some of those high society balls when I was young, before I married your father, of course,” Molly said with a happy sigh. “They were absolutely magical. I’m sure it would have taken hardly any effort at all for some young man to sweep me off my feet, if my heart hadn’t already belonged to Arthur. There’s no need to explain more, dear.”

“Yes, there is!” George said incredulously. “Malfoy is a prat!”

“He isn’t really,” Ginny said quietly. “Not anymore, anyway.”

“But at Hogwarts—” George began.

“This isn’t Hogwarts, George,” Ginny said firmly. He has been nothing but polite to me, even at first, when we were forced to dance with each other. I was the one who was rude.”

Arthur cleared his throat, causing the rest of them to look at him. “What I want to know is how you ended up staying at Malfoy Manor,” he said mildly.

“Alicia and I were at a ball last night when we found out about the fire and that training would be canceled until everyone could get back into the flats,” Ginny explained. “We were worried about getting behind in our training. Mr. Malfoy happened to overhear our conversation and offered to let us stay at Malfoy Manor—they have a regulation Quidditch pitch that we can train on.”

“Hm,” Arthur said. “I suppose he also knows about your relationship with his son?”

Ginny blushed. “He knows that we have been spending a lot of time together at the balls, but I don’t know whether he knows that we’re dating. That only happened last night.”

“I see,” Arthur said. He was quiet for a moment. “Just promise me you’ll be careful.”

“Dad!” Ginny said indignantly. “I told you Draco has changed! And Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy have been really nice to me as well.”

“That’s as may be,” Arthur said with a small frown. “I daresay Draco may have changed. He endured more in the war than any boy his age should have to suffer. It’s Lucius I’m worried about. You can’t teach an old dog new tricks. If he’s being friendly, he has a good reason for it, you can count on that.”

“Couldn’t his reason be that Draco likes me?” Ginny asked.

“I hope so, Ginny,” Arthur said. “I certainly hope so. But keep your eyes open just in case. There have been some indications that he may still be practicing the Dark Arts, and I would hate for you to get caught up in that again.”

Ginny got up and went to hug Arthur. “I promise I will be careful,” she said.

“That’s all I ask,” Arthur said.

They were interrupted by a trio of pops and a squeal from Molly. “Ron!” she said, engulfing her youngest son in a hug, then Harry and Hermione. “We didn’t expect you! It’s been ages since you’ve made it.”

“Well,” Ron said sheepishly, the tips of his ears turning red. “We can’t stay long, but Ginny made me feel so guilty about it last time I saw her, that we decided to come for a while.”

“Good for Ginny!” George said heartily, and everyone laughed.

The conversation turned to topics other than Ginny’s involvement with the Malfoys. Ginny was quite relieved that it didn’t return for the rest of the evening.

***

When Ginny returned to Malfoy Manor later that night, she retreated immediately to her room. It would have been polite to greet her hosts, she knew, but she wanted to avoid Lucius Malfoy until she had a chance to think about what her father had told her, and it was late enough that she wasn’t sure the rest of the household would still be awake anyway.

Ginny had only had time to slip her shoes off and remove her earrings when she heard a knock at her door. She opened it to find Draco leaning against the doorjamb.

“Hello,” Ginny said with a smile.

“Hello,” Draco said. “I asked Seela to tell me when you returned. I hope I’m not intruding.”

“Of course not,” Ginny said. “Why don’t you come in?” She led him to the sofa in front of the fireplace, where they sat side by side.

Draco took Ginny’s hand and asked, “How was your dinner?”

“Marvelous,” Ginny said with a smile. “Everyone was there, even Ron, Harry, and Hermione. That’s practically a miracle these days, they’ve been so busy. We even managed a pick-up Quidditch game. Gwenog would be livid if she knew, but it was definitely worth it. My team won.” Ginny beamed.

“Of course it did,” Draco said, his eyes alight. “Don’t you think it even a little bit unfair making all those amateurs play a professional like you?”

“I’m not that good,” Ginny said, blushing. “Plus, they had Harry, and amateur or not, he practically never misses the Snitch.” She paused to smile mischievously. “But George and I managed to distract him long enough for Fleur to nab it.”

“Oh?” Draco asked, his eyebrows raised.

“Yes, indeed,” Ginny said with a satisfied smile.

“Are you going to tell me how you did it?” Draco asked.

“No, I don’t think so,” Ginny said, looking Draco full in the eyes. “We might have to use the same technique on you some day.”

Draco laughed, reaching out to pull Ginny into his arms. “Fine. Keep your secrets if you must. But I’ll learn them all eventually, you know.”

“You think so?” Ginny teased.

“I know so,” Draco said, drawing Ginny closer. “After all, I do have my ways of getting lovely young witches to talk.”

“Oh really?” Ginny asked breathlessly.

“Oh, yes,” Draco said. He leaned in to kiss her, and Ginny didn’t think at all for a very long time.

***

Ginny relived Draco’s kisses as she washed her face and brushed her teeth and hair. When she finished, she sank into the soft bed with a happy sigh, sure her dreams would be full of Draco.

But sleep was elusive, and Ginny found her thoughts straying from Draco to his father, and to her own father’s warnings. If he’s being friendly, he has a good reason for it, you can count on that, Arthur had said. And Lucius had been friendly. Almost too friendly. Perhaps he had been on his best behavior for his son’s sake, but Ginny thought he had gone well beyond what would have been reasonable for her to expect from her boyfriend’s father. There was absolutely no reason for him to invite Ginny and Alicia to stay at Malfoy Manor. There must be something more he wanted from her. But what?

Ginny turned over in the bed more violently than usual. Her thoughts would not let her feel comfortable. From what her father had said, there might even be Dark artifacts in the Manor somewhere. Ginny shuddered. She’d had plenty of experience with Dark artifacts, and would rather avoid contact with them if at all possible. On the other hand, her father had asked her to keep her eyes open while she was in the Manor, so she would do so.

What kinds of things could be lurking in the Manor? Where would they be hidden? And what would Ginny do with them if she found them?

Ginny was in the Atrium at the Ministry of Magic, surrounded by her family. There was a crowd of people nearby, including a number of reporters nearby, all calling out and waving their arms in an attempt to capture the attention of someone from Ginny’s party. They formed a protective wall around Ginny, for which she was grateful. After a while, Kingsley Shacklebolt appeared. He stepped up to a podium and intoned, “Sonorus.” The crowd quieted immediately.

“It is my great pleasure to announce that today, after many years, justice has finally been served. Just hours ago, the Wizengamot convicted Lucius Malfoy of crimes against wizarding society and the ongoing practice of the Dark Arts, and sentenced him to life in Azkaban Prison. He was escorted there thirty minutes ago, and is no longer a threat to the people of Great Britain.”

Kingsley paused to allow the crowd to react. They gasped and cheered. The reporters called out question after question, all of which he ignored. After a minute, he spoke again.

“I would also like to publicly commend the young woman directly responsible for today’s conviction.” He beckoned to Ginny, and waited while she approached the podium. “While a guest at Malfoy Manor, Miss Ginevra Weasley discovered a Dark artifact so horrendous that its nature will not be made public now or any time in the future. Due to Miss Weasley’s prompt report of the nature of this item, the Aurors were able to confiscate it before it could do any more damage than it has already done. For her courage and presence of mind, I therefore present Miss Weasley with the Order of Merlin, Third Class.”

Ginny’s heart soared with pride as Kingsley pinned the medal to her chest and the crowd cheered loudly. She felt a momentary pang that she had been instrumental in sending her boyfriend’s father to Azkaban. But then she thought of just what she had found in Lucius Malfoy’s study, and stood even taller. If he had had
that and had used it, the whole world was better off with him safely away, even Draco.

Her family surrounded Ginny once more, offering congratulations. Her father was the last to approach her. He hugged her and whispered in her ear, “Well done, Ginny. I’m proud of you.”

With these visions in her head, Ginny finally fell asleep.

***

Ginny was once again the last to arrive at breakfast the next morning. She had slept fitfully, dreaming of all the horrible things that might be lurking in the house. When she woke, she had resolved to search the Manor as soon as she had an opportunity, if only to set her mind to rest.

Once again, Draco and Lucius stood as Ginny entered the dining room, but she hardly registered it as an anomaly this time. She helped herself to a croissant, some strawberries, and a large dollop of yogurt, but ate them without tasting anything. She mechanically answered Lucius’s questions about her evening with her family and how she had slept. She let the rest of the conversation wash over her without response. It was only when Draco spoke that she really paid attention.

“I’m afraid that Father and I won’t be here for dinner tonight, Mother. We have meetings all day. I hope that won’t be a problem.”

“Of course not,” Narcissa said, even as Ginny’s heart sank. So much for thinking she would be able to spend more time with Draco by staying at Malfoy Manor.

Ginny caught Draco’s eye, and he seemed to apologize without words. She gave him a small smile, and he winked at her.

The rest of breakfast passed without incident, dominated mostly by small talk between Lucius and Narcissa. When everyone had finished eating, Draco rose, and helped Ginny from her chair. The gesture was wholly unnecessary, but Ginny felt her heart flutter at his chivalry nonetheless.

“I’ll be right with you, Father,” Draco said as the party left the dining room. When they reached the entrance hall, he turned to Ginny and asked, “Do you have a moment?”

“Of course,” Ginny said. She turned to Alicia and asked, “Meet you on the pitch in an hour?”

“Sounds like a plan,” Alicia said, and disappeared up the staircase, leaving Draco and Ginny alone.

Ginny turned back to Draco and was surprised when he immediately kissed her. Several minutes later, they separated, and she looked dazedly up at him.

“I’m sorry,” Draco said, “but if I’m not going to see you for hours and hours, I just had to do that first.”

“You didn’t see me objecting, did you?” Ginny asked.

“No, I can’t say I did,” Draco said. “At least I hope that you don’t indicate objection by showing such enthusiasm.”

Ginny laughed. “Well, it will be hours and hours until I see you again too, so you can’t blame me for being enthusiastic.”

“Believe me,” Draco said, “I will never blame you for that.”

“Good,” Ginny said, reaching up and straightening Draco’s robes. It was an awfully intimate gesture, but Draco didn’t seem to mind; he just watched her bemusedly. “Now you had best be going. Your father is surely waiting for you.”

“You’re probably right,” Draco said with a sigh. “I hope you have a good day, and that your training goes well.”

“Thank you,” Ginny said. “Good luck with your meetings.”

“Thanks,” Draco whispered as he kissed Ginny briefly one more time. “Goodbye.”

“Goodbye,” Ginny said to Draco’s retreating back.

Ginny was about to return to her room when she had a sudden realization. She had a perfect opportunity to start exploring the Manor now. Lucius and Draco would be at work, Narcissa had mentioned something about letters she needed to write, and Alicia wasn’t expecting her for ages. Ginny paused for a moment, thinking once again about whether or not she should meddle in such things, then resolutely followed in the direction Draco had just taken.

Ginny paused as she reached the corridor that Draco had told her led to Lucius’s rooms. She took a deep breath before moving forward. The first door on her left was standing open, so she stepped inside. There was a large work table in the center of the room, and the walls were lined with books all bound in identical dark leather. Ginny quickly determined that the books all contained records of the Malfoys’ business dating back to 1624. Ginny was impressed. She knew that the Malfoy family was an old one, but hadn’t realized just how old. She vaguely wondered what kind of business wizards did in 1624, but she refrained from looking into the records. Her time for investigation was limited, and it was clear that there was nothing Dark in this room.

The next door in the hallway was closed, so Ginny cautiously pushed it open. The room behind the door was a well-stocked potions laboratory. There were lots of possible hiding places, but Ginny wasn’t convinced that it would be the most productive room to search. She decided to look into the other rooms first, then decide which one was the most promising.

As Ginny approached the next door, she saw that it was open only slightly. She wondered why, but then froze as she heard voices coming from within.

“Do you agree that that would be the best approach to take in the meeting with Rushworth?” Lucius asked.

“Absolutely,” Draco responded. “The same approach worked well with Yates, and I think they would react similarly.”

“Excellent,” Lucius said. Ginny heard the shuffling of papers and began to panic. Would she be less likely to be caught if she ducked into the potions lab or if she left Lucius’s hallway entirely?

“By the way,” Lucius said, “you’ve been doing a wonderful job of wooing Miss Weasley.”

Ginny’s eyes widened. At the mention of her own name, all thoughts of escape fled her mind.

“You’ve progressed even faster than I thought possible,” Lucius continued. “She must be even more naïve than I initially thought. You practically have her eating out of your hand already.”

Ginny began to tremble. What could he mean?

“I think she likes me,” Draco said. “At least I hope so.”

“Of course she likes you,” Lucius said. “You’ll be able to propose to her soon.”

Ginny had to lean against the wall, she was shaking so badly. Propose? Did he mean a marriage proposal?

“There’s no reason to hurry, Father,” Draco said hurriedly. “She’s only just eighteen, and not likely to be ready to settle down so soon.”

Ginny frowned. Did that mean Draco didn’t want to propose?

“Nonsense!” Lucius said. “Your mother was only eighteen when we were married. She’s quite old enough. And you know that her family and her friends in the Ministry won’t even start to trust us until you’ve made a commitment. If we want to use her to extend our influence, it will take time, so we need to move as quickly as possible.”

If Draco responded, Ginny didn’t hear. She ran blindly to her suite, tears streaming down her face. Draco didn’t really care about her at all. He only cared about how much she could increase his political power.

Ginny looked around her room and shuddered. She could almost picture Draco there, could almost feel his arms around her and his kisses. She had truly believed he felt something for her. He had been so convincing, but it had all been a lie. Then again, this wasn’t the first time she had fallen for a young man’s charm and had persuaded herself he meant what he said. She had been a fool. She silently resolved that this time she would actually learn the lesson.

With a deep sigh, Ginny conjured a misshapen bag. She shoved the few belongings she had with her haphazardly into it. With one more glance at the suite, Ginny stepped out into the hallway, ready to leave behind Malfoy Manor and all the mistakes that had led her there.

Leave a Review