Ginny was having visions of herself as an acrobat as she balanced her purse, briefcase and garment bag while trying to get the front door of her apartment open. When she finally managed to stumble through, she used her foot to shut the door behind her as she dropped her briefcase and purse onto the floor.

 

“Luna! Are you home?” she called.

 

“In here,” a voice floated back to her from the living room.

 

Ginny walked into the living room and found Luna resting on the couch. She had a sketchbook open on her lap but didn’t seem to notice, so engrossed was she in studying the sky-patterned ceiling.

 

“Thinking about Blaise?” Ginny asked innocently.

 

Luna didn’t deny it. “He’s an excellent healer,” she said, her eyes twinkling up at the ceiling. “I’ve recovered beautifully.”

 

“Right,” Ginny grinned. “That was a week and a half ago, you haven’t seen him since, you aren’t going to see him unless one of you goes out of your way, and you’re still dreaming about how he’s such an amazing healer. Have I got that straight?”

 

“Not going to see him unless one of us goes out of our way…” Luna mused. “Yes, I suppose that’s true; we don’t work anywhere near each other. But,” she said with a small smile, “he floo-called me a few minutes ago to invite me to go to the Ministry ball with him.”

 

“Ah, so that’s why he’s on your mind. I’m really glad he did that -- at least I’ll know someone there!” Ginny sighed with relief. “I got some new robes for the ball; want to see them?” She unzipped the garment bag as she spoke and pulled out a pair of elegant dress robes in brown silk. “I had Madame Malkin copy a design from Witch Weekly in a color that’s good for me. What do you think?”

 

Luna studied them. “Simple but elegant. They’re perfect for you, Ginny.”

 

“Of course, the great Luna Lovegood would never wear anything simple,” Ginny said in a mock-serious tone. “Let me guess: you’re going to wear your radish earrings with violet dressrobes and your lime green shoes?”

 

“Oh, no. I am going to wear the lime green shoes, because I promised Blaise I’d show them to him, but I’m not wearing violet dressrobes. I’ve got a pair of navy blue ones and I’m going to add a border to the sleeves, neck, and hem to match the shoes. I think they’ll do nicely.”

 

“I’m sure, Luna,” Ginny said, hiding her grimace at the picture that was developing in her mind as she strode out of the room. “I’m just going to hang up my robes,” she called over her shoulder.

 

“I’m so happy that you’re going to be there, Luna,” Ginny said when she reemerged from her room. “Really. I don’t know if Harry is going but if he is and he was the only one I knew there, I would be terribly uncomfortable.”

 

“You’ll have to put up with Blaise’s company,” Luna warned her, her eyes twinkling.

 

“I think I can handle it,” Ginny smiled. “Actually, I agree with you: he really is a nice guy. I could see that when I went to visit you in his house. I’m happy for you Luna.”

 

“Thank you Ginny,” Luna said, looking at her seriously. “That means a lot to me.”

 

“You’re very welcome,” said Ginny. “Now, how should I wear my hair to the ball?” 


 

Draco Malfoy was not happy. As an important businesswizard newly returned to London with a reputation to reestablish, he knew that coming to this Ministry Charity Ball was of the utmost importance but he wished that he could have had a date with someone other than Pansy. He was even reluctantly finding himself envying Blaise, with Loony Lovegood as his date in some strange blue and garish green ensemble.

 

“Ooh, there’s Harry Potter!” Pansy hissed into his ear.

 

Draco shuddered, and it wasn’t at seeing Potter. Pansy’s mouth was entirely too close to his ear for comfort. 

 

“I see,” he returned coolly, trying to pull his arm out of Pansy’s tight grip as he looked over at Potter.

 

As though he sensed his stare, Potter turned his head and looked straight at Draco. Draco stiffened and began to turn away but before he could, he noticed Potter walking straight towards him.

 

“Malfoy,” Potter said when he reached Draco, sticking out his hand, “It’s good to see you.”

 

Draco stared at the hand being presented to him, wondering what Potter was up to.

 

“You’re supposed to shake it, Malfoy,” Potter said with a grin.

 

“Yes, Potter, I realize that,” said Draco drily. “I’m just wondering whether it’s coated in a potion that will cause my hand to fall off as soon as it comes into contact with yours.”

 

Potter lowered his hand and regarded Draco seriously.

 

“I don’t want to fight with you, Malfoy. The war is over. There shouldn’t be anymore fighting.”

 

“If you insist, Potter,” Draco replied with a sneer. “But shaking hands with a Malfoy? Isn’t that a bit much? Won’t it taint your boy-hero reputation?”


“I didn’t ask to be a hero,” Potter said, looking annoyed. “But people look up to me whether I like it or not, so I’d like to make peace with you to set an example for everyone else. Is that too much to ask?”

 

“It most certainly is, Potter,” Draco said haughtily. “I won’t let you use me to further your own means.”

 

“I was sorry to hear about your mother, Malfoy,” Potter said, suddenly changing the subject.  “I know she cared for you very much.”

 

“You know nothing about my mother, Potter,” Draco hissed. 

 

“I know that she risked her life to save you,” Potter said. “I’m sure she would want you to make a better life for yourself. You can start that by shaking my hand, Malfoy. I can help you get places around here.”

 

“As if I needed your help, Potter,” Draco scoffed. “You think entirely too highly of yourself.  I’ll thank you to stay away from me and never mention my mother again,” he finished. He turned on his heel away from Potter and suddenly found himself staring into a pair of wide brown eyes. He paused for a moment, long enough to realize that they belonged to the Weasley girl, before he turned and walked away quickly, an anxious Pansy rushing after him.”


 

Ginny sipped her champagne and watched the dancing from the sidelines. She watched Luna and Blaise dance with a smile on her face. She really was happy for Luna.

 

She continued to scan the room and her eyes lit upon Harry Potter. He wasn’t alone. Ginny scrutinized his date. She was average height and had long brown hair; Ginny thought she recognized her from somewhere, but wasn’t sure.

 

Harry was, as usual, surrounded by people who wanted to meet him. Ginny wondered how his date was handling it. The woman was smiling broadly at all the people who came over to Harry as she held onto his arm. Harry didn’t seem to mind. Ginny chewed at the corner of her lip.

 

She was surprised when she saw Harry walk away from his date. She was even more surprised to see him walk over to Draco Malfoy and put his hand out to him.

 

Oh bugger; I should have known he’d be here. Ginny moaned to herself. What the hell is Harry doing?

 

Whatever Harry was trying to do, it didn’t seem to work. Malfoy was apparently refusing to shake his hand and was glaring at Harry. He seemed angry.

 

How typical, thought Ginny.  Don’t know why Harry even bothered with the slime ball.

 

At that moment Draco turned away from Harry and was… Looking directly at her. Ginny’s eyes widened in surprise, but before she could even stop to wonder, he’d turned again and stalked away.

 

Ginny watched him go, Pansy Parkinson hurrying behind him in a pink-lace gown, with a puzzled frown.

 

“Ginny?”

 

Ginny jumped and looked around. Luna was standing next to her studying her face.

 

“Are you alright?”

 

“Yes, I’m fine,” Ginny said quickly, taking a deep breath. “You just startled me. Where’s Blaise?”

 

“He went to get some drinks.” Luna looked over at an elegant bar in the corner where Blaise was standing and chatting with a few people.

 

“He seems very outgoing for a Slytherin,” Ginny said, following Luna’s gaze. “It’s funny: I don’t remember him being that way at school.”

 

“I think he’s changed a lot since then,” Luna responded. “He told me that one of his courses when he was studying to be a healer was in how to deal with patients and that some of the things that they learned were how to be tolerant and respectful to people, no matter what’s ‘wrong’ with them. I think that it helped him in other areas of his life as well.”

 

“I guess that makes sense,” Ginny mused.

 

“Draco Malfoy seems to be paying a lot of attention to you, Ginny,” Luna stated so calmly that if Ginny hadn’t heard the words, she would have thought Luna was talking about what to make for dinner tomorrow night.

 

Ginny stared at her. “What are you talking about?”

 

Luna gestured with her head to the side and Ginny peeked over in the direction that she was gesturing towards. To her surprise, Malfoy was only about six feet away from them and, sure enough, he seemed to be looking over at where she and Luna were standing.

 

Ginny pretended that she had just been scanning the room as she turned back to Luna.

 

“What’s he up to?” Ginny whispered angrily. “Eavesdropping, probably – ”

 

Luna studied her nails, looking amused, as Ginny continued to hiss at her.

 

“ – I don’t know what’s wrong with him! Look! He’s coming closer! I’m telling you Luna, he’s up to something…”

 

“I think I scuffed my shoe, Ginny.” Luna stuck her foot out from under her gown and studied it interestedly. 

 

“Luna haven’t you heard anything I’ve been saying?” Ginny asked incredulously. “And look – he’s getting closer!”

 

Malfoy was only two feet away by now. He had moved smoothly, making it look very natural, but Ginny was convinced that he was trying to hear what she and Luna were talking about.

 

“Here comes Blaise,” Luna replied, successfully distracting Ginny. 

 

“Sorry I took so long,” Blaise said cheerfully, handing Luna a glass and bestowing a dazzling smile on her. Luna smiled back lightly.

 

Ginny looked at Luna curiously. If a guy she liked had smiled at her that way, she would have responded with more than a little grin.

 

“Hey, Draco, how’s it going?” Blaise called, noticing Malfoy standing nearby.

 

Malfoy strolled over calmly, as though he’d just noticed that they were there. Ginny barely refrained from rolling her eyes.

 

“It’s fine,” Draco asserted calmly.

 

Ginny’s annoyance overcame her self-control. “Hear any interesting conversations tonight, Malfoy?” she asked sweetly.

 

Malfoy looked at her impassively. “I have no idea what you’re talking about, Ms. Weasley.”

 

“Of course,” Ginny smiled knowingly.

 

“Hey, Luna and I are going to dance,” Blaise interrupted quickly. Then his eyes lit up in mischief. “Why don’t you two dance as well?” he suggested before turning with Luna to the dance floor.

 


 

Draco watched Blaise leave in surprise. He was more surprised at how he felt about Blaise’s suggestion than at the fact that he’d made it. He realized that he wasn’t loath to the idea. But before he had a chance to react, he heard her respond.

 

“I didn’t plan on dancing tonight,” Ginny declared stiffly.

 

“I would be happy to dance with you, Ms. Weasley,” Draco found himself saying.

 

Ginny blinked. She looked just as surprised at hearing his words as he felt having said them.

 

“I…” she began. “I’m afraid I’ll have to refuse. Excuse me.” And she swiftly walked away.

 

Draco watched her leave with a blank face. The brown color of her gown looked good on her; he never would have thought that brown would be a good color for redheads.  Maybe it was her eyes…

 

“I know what you’re thinking,” a voice whispered into his ear. Draco glanced behind him and saw Pansy smiling up at him.

 

“I doubt it,” he replied.

 

“You are thinking that this party is full of despicable people – mudbloods and such – and you’re hoping you won’t have to spend many evenings in such company.” Pansy looked pleased with her assessment.

 

“Your guess is wrong,” Draco replied, his eyes following a figure moving to the other side of the room. “My mind was dwelling on much more pleasant things.”

 

“Oh?” Pansy reacted with surprise.

 

“Yes,” answered Draco, studying Ginny’s face. “I’ve been considering how enjoyable it is to study a pair of fine eyes in a pretty face.” He glanced back at Pansy to see her mouth drop open.

 

“And… who do these fine eyes and pretty face belong to, may I ask?” Pansy squeaked.

 

“Ginny Weasley,” Draco said plainly.

 

“Ginny Weasley?” Pansy choked, staring at him in horror. “Are you insane? Have you forgotten who her family is? I can’t believe you’re even considering her!”

 

“Considering her?” Draco turned cool eyes on Pansy. “Just what am I supposed to be considering her for? Dating? Marriage?” He raised an eyebrow at her.

 

“No – of course not!” Pansy said quickly.

 

“Then why do you feel the need to remind me about who her family is? Can’t a man admire a woman without people assuming that he’s planning a future with her?”

 

“Of course you can Draco,” Pansy looked slightly mollified at Draco’s response. “I was just surprised, that’s all.” She hesitated for a moment, then said, “Do you want to dance?”

 

“No,” Draco answered matter-of-factly.

 

Pansy looked furious and stormed away without a word. Draco silently congratulated himself.

 

As he continued to watch Ginny Weasley, he saw Harry Potter and his date approach her. Draco noticed Ginny stiffen when she came face to face with Potter. She spoke to him with an emotionless face, and looked relived when Blaise and Luna approached. Draco saw her mouth the words, “Thank you!” to Luna as Blaise shook Potter’s hand.

 

Draco’s mind wandered back to his own meeting with Potter earlier in the evening. His surprise at Potter wanting to make peace with him had been swiftly forgotten when Potter had mentioned his mother. Her death was not something that Draco liked to talk about, especially with a man he’d hated since he was eleven.

 

He watched Blaise laugh at something Potter was saying and felt his resentment rise.

 

“Potter’s still as pompous as ever but the little Weasley seems to be the only one not enamored with him,” he thought to himself, noticing her glaring quietly at Potter. “That’s one point in her favor.”

 

He pulled his gaze away from the woman abruptly. He had to stop thinking about her, even if she was surprisingly pretty.  

 

“Pull yourself together, man!” he scolded himself. “She’s a Weasley!”

 

He determinedly ignored the voice in his head that was asking him:

 

“What if she wasn’t a Weasley?”

Author notes: Thank you all for your lovely reviews! I'm sorry this chapter took so long. Blame it on finals.

Leave a Review