The black alder tree had always enjoyed the visits from that slight, freckled girl with the strawberry hair that shone in the sunlight. But when she shows up one day, her heart clearly broken, the tree knew that everything had already changed. Voted for "Best Prose" on the Fall 2008 D/G Fic Exchange.
Category: Works in Progress
Rating: Sorta Naughty
Characters: Draco Malfoy, Ginny Weasley, Neville Longbottom
Compliant with: All but epilogue
Era: Future AU
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance
Warnings: None
Completed: No
Series: None

Chapters: 5 | Word count: 9547 | Read count: 13673 | Published: Jan 28, 2009 | Updated: Jul 22, 2010
[Report This]

(Reviews - 17) Microsoft Word Printer ePub eBook
Story notes: This fic was written for elle_blessing on the D/G Fic Exchange over on LiveJournal, and it ended up winning the "Best Prose" award for the round. The prompt called for angst - something dark and emotional and epic, happy ending optional. I really tried to capture the passion and desperation in their relationship as Draco and Ginny struggle to understand what is happening between the two of them. This was a challenge to write, not only because of the time pressure from the Exchange but also because I'm really more of a fluff kind of girl - all unicorns and cotton candy - so the whole brooding angst thing was a completely new experiment for me. Surprisingly, this turned out to be something I might actually be proud of.

Major props and love go out to my beta for this fic: embe11ished. She put up with all of my last minute freak-outs, insomniac emails and overall frenzied panic attacks. And she kicks total ass at grammar, a trait we all wish we had. So, once again, thank you!

1. One - Beginnings from an End (Reviews - 7) 1924 words



2. Two – First Impressions (Reviews - 1) 2568 words

So I usually don’t like to be one of those authors that have to explain all the little twists and turns in their writing – I feel like if the reader isn’t able to figure it out themselves, then you need to do a bit more editing to make it clearer – but I’m going to break my own rule right here and add a clarifying side note. The time flow in this fic is somewhat confusing – it’s mostly flashbacks to events from Ginny’s sixth year interspersed with snapshots of her present when she is sitting in the black alder tree and thinking. Just remember this: any time the black alder tree is mentioned, it’s the present, as in, the autumn after the defeat of Voldemort. Otherwise, it’s the storyline from her previous year – a story line that takes place in book 7. Most of the this fic’s plot is moved forward through these flashbacks, and I think it’s pretty obvious what’s going on but, you know – this is just a slight explanation, just in case.

Enjoy!

3. Three - Truce (Reviews - 2) 1309 words



4. Four - Staggerd Steps (Reviews - 4) 1663 words

So, I’m back.

This fic was never abandoned, not really, but it’s not like any of you (is there even anyone left?) could have known that. Just believe me when I say that I always had the intention of finishing this story – and still do. In fact, this fic is finished, it just needs some tweaking here and there, and it needs me to run away from my real life once in a while and post these damn chapters.

Anyway, here’s the much-delayed next installment. Enjoy!

5. Five - Momentum (Reviews - 3) 2083 words

I have this huge exam for my summer class tomorrow. Clearly, that means it’s time to spend forever editing pictures, decorating my apartment and updating this fic.

Enjoy!