Ginny resisted the urge to fidget as Draco stared at her, gobsmacked. His eyes were wide, his mouth hung open, and his eyebrows had disappeared into his hair line. It was the funniest expression she’d ever seen him make and was the polar opposite of his trademark smirk.

“You knew this was a possibility,” she reminded him gently. He couldn’t claim ignorance about the birds and bees at this point in his life.

She expected him to launch a full out denial. He just closed his mouth and continued to stare at her. The bravery she’d felt was beginning to fade and in its place was a quickly blossoming seed of doubt.

She took a step toward him. “Say something.”

Her pointed his finger at her and opened his mouth. No sound came out.

Ginny never realized you could actually render someone speechless, but apparently you could. The proof was right in front of her. Well if nothing else came of this awkward and potentially horrendous moment at least she’d learned that.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

She waited, growing more nervous and nauseous by the minute. Her fingers found the loose thread on her shirt cuff button and began to twist. A few seconds later, the button popped off. She didn’t bother to look for it. She had bigger problems.

Draco opened his eyes and seemed to come to some sort of resolve. He gave her a reassuring head nod. “Don’t worry. Everything will be fine. We’ll hire someone to help us take care of this situation.”

“Excuse me?”

His normal, calm demeanor returned. “I said, we’ll hire someone to help with this...this problem.”

Ginny dug her nails into her palms. “Problem? This is not a problem, you git.”

He shoved both his hands in his trouser pockets and relaxed against the wall. “It’s not a gift, either.”

Her eyes grew hot. “Did it ever occur to you to make the best of the situation? This wasn’t in my plans either. You don’t see me panicking and turning into a self-involved, immature prat.”

Now she’d bloody done it.

His eyes narrowed. His posture stiffened. He’d gone into what she thought of as ‘full Malfoy mode’. In other words, he’d completely shut down.

Sniffing like he smelled something rotten, he said, “If that’s how you feel, then perhaps you should have been a bit more careful about -”

“Stop right there.” Ginny stalked up to him and smacked her hand over her mouth. “Think before you speak.” The hand she dropped was trembling.

“You’re the one who started calling names.”

“You’re right. I’m...concerned about my current situation and your reaction isn’t helping, but I shouldn’t have called you a name.”

“Two names.”

“What?”

“You called me a git and a prat.”

She shrugged. “I did. I’ll try not to do it again, but you have to step up. Give me some support here.” Her voice broke and she sniffled.

His expression softened. “I...this...oh just come here.” He pulled her to him and kissed the top of her head. “It will all be okay. We’ll get through this together.”

She relaxed against him. “Thank you. I needed to hear that.”

“At our age, this is just so embarrassing,” he muttered.

Stepping back, she grinned at him. “You do realize this baby will be going to school with our grandchildren.”

He kissed her forehead. “Only a Weasley would still be fertile at fifty.”

“Only a Malfoy would still be chasing his wife around at fifty one.” She chuckled.

“Let’s make the announcement at our twenty-fifth wedding anniversary dinner next week,” Draco suggested. “All the family will be there.”

“Good idea. Now-”

He interrupted her with a kiss. She melted against him just like she did the first time he kissed her all those years ago. While she felt she ought to tell him the rest of her news, she didn’t want to ruin the mood. The news that they were expecting twins would just have to wait.
The End.
CCC is the author of 47 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 19 members. Members who liked Gobsmacked also liked 1362 other stories.
Leave a Review