Draco Malfoy strode through the cubicles of the Auror Department, intent on getting to his office without making his day worse than it already promised to be. A hard task, by anyone’s standards, but a monumental one for the Slytherin Auror.

As he approached, heads quickly looked away, finding a spot on the ceiling so very interesting. Anything to keep from making unwanted eye contact, or, Merlin forbid, actual conversation. His traditional sneer curled around Draco’s lips. This was perfectly fine by him, as he had nothing to say to the wastes of flesh that dared call themselves Aurors. Blond hair combed crisply in place and grey eyes blazing, he marched on.

Through the cubicles, at the end of the long hallway, sanctuary awaited. He shoved open the heavy door to Slytherin Squad’s training room. A pane of spell-proofed glass divided the front section of the training room from the larger back half. In the front, lounge area of the room, plush chairs clumped around a low table on one side, with lockers on the other for the squad’s gear. A single door stood on either side, one to the Captain’s office by the lounge, one to the Lieutenant’s by the lockers.

The back half, behind the glass, was reserved for battle simulations and the most rigorous training. Slytherin Squad’s battle room gleamed a pristine white through the glass. Draco was surprised it hadn’t started gathering dust.

The other occupant of the room turned in his lounge chair, facing the opened door. Meticulously groomed, dark skin, and an indifferent expression broken only by raising an eyebrow marked Blaise Zabini. Lazily, he kicked his feet up on the low table. “Any news?”

Draco gave a grunt by way of answer, slapping the newest paperwork onto the table and dropping into a chair of his own.

Blaise rifled through them, his eyebrow climbing higher. “Too experienced for a junior squad, too incompetent for a senior squad…” He trailed off, looking up at Draco. “They don’t have the faintest idea what to do with us, do they?”

“If I could shove all their brains into one body, the entire Auror division would be lucky to make a single troll,” Draco snarled. “It’s been what, three weeks now?”

“Nearly four,” Blaise corrected. He gestured to the wide expanse of the room around him. “Not that the others aren’t making the most of the break, obviously.”

Draco snorted. “The Ministry sure does know how to motivate its Aurors.”

Behind Draco, the door to the training room opened. Kingsley Shacklebolt, Minister of Magic stood in the doorway, his regal face unreadable. “I’d like a word with you in private, Lieutenant Malfoy.”

Surprised, Draco stood, although not with haste. “Of course, Minister.” He led him to the Lieutenant’s office, holding open the door as Shacklebolt took a seat in front of Draco’s desk. It was a small office, and other than his certificate of graduation from the Auror Academy, Draco had never really bothered with furnishing it. He sat at his own desk, without the faintest idea what was going on.

A contemplative look stole across Kingsley’s face. “Captain Murstow’s death was far from an accident. It worries me that your squad has so much attention.”

Draco barely kept his tone level. “I believe that was the Death Eater’s point. They didn’t write ‘Blood Traitor’ across Murstow’s wall with his own organs to be subtle.”

A hard look crossed the Minister’s face. “I meant why he was targeted in the first place. Did you know that the most common terms for your Slytherin Squad are,” He ticked them off on his fingers. “a cesspool of pure-blooded ideals, a blight upon the Aurors and the Ministry, and, my favorite, a ripe breeding ground for the same toxic ideologies that spawned the need for redemption in the first place." He looked expectantly at the young Auror.

"That's outrageous!" Draco spluttered. "They missed the entire point!"

Kingsley frowned. "I'm not sure they did, Draco."

That stopped him short. "What?"

“Your squad filled with Slytherins, while a noble idea to clear their names, is meaningless without integration or a successful mission. What is there to convince anyone of anything? All you've shown is that you can associate with your own 'kind', so to speak."

We've only had one mission, Draco barely resisted snapping. "What are you saying, Minister?"

"I'm saying that you need to integrate. For the sake of the Ministry as well as your own.” Kingsley spared him a look of concern. “The last thing I want to read is a headline with Draco Malfoy's dead body, calling him the next blood-traitor."

"I fail to see how integration will protect me in the slightest."

Kingsley chuckled softly. "If you're ostracizing your old allies, you need new ones. Right now, Slytherin Squad is in the unenviable position of being hated by both sides." His mouth twitched in half-smile. "And that's a position I'd vacate as soon as possible."

Uneasiness filled the pit of Draco’s stomach. Nothing good could come of integrating the squad, and he’d always known it. So had Murstow, little that it meant now. “So you want me to go recruit a new Auror who's not a pure-blood and tell the squad to play nicely?” He nearly added, good luck, but fought the temptation.

"No. It needs to come from the leadership of the squad. A figure of authority, not someone your Slytherins can pick on. I've already selected a new Lieutenant for them."

His words punched Draco in the gut. "A new Lieutenant?" he gritted out. "And where will I be going?"

Kingsley gave him a strange look. "You'll be the Captain, of course."

Draco managed a relieved smile. "Of course."

Pushing back his chair, Kingsley stood. "Treat your Lieutenant nicely, Draco. I can't say that you'll get another one."

Draco forced a smile, purposely ignoring the threat. "I'll give him a warm, Slytherin welcome."

Fortunately, Kingsley didn't ask for a definition. With a satisfied nod, the Minister left.

Draco missed Captain Murstow already.

 

 

In the opposite corner of the Auror Division, down the many halls, sat Ginny Weasley behind her many stacks of paperwork. She shoved the closest stack to the side of her desk, letting her head thunk onto the clear space. Her eyes felt like they’d start bleeding if she had to check another trainee’s improperly filed Apparition License. One would think there were a limited number of ways to botch your own name, address, and wand type, but the creativity of idiots continued to surprise her. Sitting with her head pressed against her desk didn’t help her headache much, but anything felt better than paperwork.

A firm knock came from her office door.

“What?” Ginny snapped, not caring if her students knew they’d put her in a foul temper. It was their own fault, anyway.

“Is now a bad time?” Kingsley Shacklebolt’s worried voice came from the doorway.

Ginny jumped up, knocking the stack of papers onto the floor. “Minister Shacklebolt! Come in!” A quick sweep of her wand Vanished the scattered forms.

He chuckled. “May I take a seat?”

“Yes, yes of course!” she flustered, dropping back into her own chair. “How can I help you?”

Kingsley watched her carefully as he spoke. “I’ve heard you’re not fond of being an Instructor.”

Ginny winced. “I’m that bad, am I?”

A broad smile lit the face of her family friend. “I’ve seen your students outduel fresh Aurors without breaking a sweat. It’s not your skill I’m concerned about.”

Ginny sighed, admitting defeat. “Hermione spilled?” The Minister confirmed with a sly smile. “I shouldn’t have taken this promotion, and everyone knows it. Aurors retire here, and I barely earned my stripes before leaving the field.”

Kingsley raised an eyebrow. “If taking down four Dark Wizards is what you call ‘barely’, I’d like to see the rest of what you can do.”

Excitement thudded in her chest. “Do you mean…a field position?”

Unable to keep from smiling at her exuberance, he nodded. “An...interesting position opened up on a squad. I would only trust an experienced Auror with it, and you fit all the requirements.”

Ginny raised an eyebrow. “Not to be rude, but what requirement do I fill? Best friend of the Head of the DMLE, Hermione Weasley?”

Kingsley kept a straight face. “I was looking for the sister-in-law, actually.” That made her smile. But he continued in all seriousness. “You have a level head, Ginny. You’re pure-blooded but not prejudiced, and you understand people, among other things. Did you know that when you were a field Auror, every one of your superiors said nothing but glowing praises about you?”

“I didn’t know that, sir.”

“There’s a lot you don’t know still. Which is why it was a shame to turn you into an instructor so early. Especially when you could be a Lieutenant in the field.”

She couldn’t help gaping. “A Lieutenant?”

Kingsley smiled. “I wouldn’t dream of reinstating you as anything less. But it’s not on a senior squad.”

She nodded. “I expected as much. It makes sense to pull an instructor to help lead a junior squad. I might even have trained some of the Aurors.”

The Minister hesitated. “It’s not a junior squad.”

“Is this some kind of a riddle?” Ginny frowned at him in confusion. “We only have junior and senior squads.”

He let out a deep breath. “And Slytherin Squad.”

Had Ginny taken a drink, she would have sprayed it across her desk. “Forget passing training, I’ve always wondered how they even managed to pass the background check.”

“They didn’t,” he said simply.

“I’m sorry, I could have sworn I just heard you say we have Aurors who didn’t pass the background check.”

“Harry and I agreed to make an exception, and waive it.” The call would not have been made lightly, Ginny knew, and Kingsley’s obvious distress from the current ramifications made that all the more obvious. “They came to us with the idea of a squad for anyone who wanted back into society, and were willing to earn the chance to be there.”

“They?”

“Richard Murstow and Draco Malfoy,” he explained.

“Malfoy?” she winced. “Isn’t his tattoo,” she slapped her left forearm, “an instant disqualification from the Aurors?”

“Usually, yes,” he agreed. “But we let him in on a trial basis, and he earned his slot.”

Ginny couldn’t disagree more, but kept it to herself. “And Murstow? His death was brutal.”

Kingsley nodded sadly. “He’s the one. And it looks like Captaining Slytherin Squad is the reason why.”

Ginny raised an eyebrow. “I’m going to have to be blunt, but why would Death Eaters even care about him leading his failure of a squad? I’d think taking out someone like Tonks, who’s one of the best Captains since Mad Eye, would be a bigger priority.”

He shrugged helplessly. “If we knew why, we’d have done something about it already. As it is, I’m doing the only thing I can: assigning one of my best Aurors to figure it out.”

The realization hit her, making Ginny blink. “Oh.”

Leaning forward, he laced his fingers atop her desk. “And now it’s my turn to be blunt. Waving those background checks on Slytherin Squad may have been what got Murstow killed. He was a good Auror, and not one to take chances, so we took his word when he said the Slytherins had changed their tune.”

“That’s why you’ve kept them out of real combat, isn’t it?” Ginny figured out. “You’re not sure you can trust them.”

Kingsley chuckled. “That and their inability to handle combat don’t make them the most promising squad, no.”

Personally, she didn’t see why the Minister was still bothering with them. “And you want me to be their Lieutenant.” Disbelief leaked into her tone. “Who’s replacing Murstow as Captain?”

A suppressed smile twitched at his lips. “Draco Malfoy.”

Staring at him in complete disbelief, she gave up, dropping her head onto her hands. “There has got to be something I’m missing. There is no way a single squad can have this many problems.”

“I’d offer you the Captain’s chair,” Kingsley said softly, “If I weren’t absolutely positive it would end with your organs strewn across your walls.”

She looked up at that. “What makes you think Malfoy won’t get the same treatment?”

“Not much,” he agreed. “I’m hoping it takes more effort to label a Malfoy a blood-traitor than it would a Weasley, or Murstow, who married a muggleborn. But he knows the risks, and is more than willing.”

Her face scrunched in revulsion. “That doesn’t sound like the Malfoy I know. He’ll have some nasty plan up his sleeve--anything to keep from risking his own skin.”

Amusement flitted across Kingsley’s face. “Then you’re there to discover it. If you find anything seriously wrong with the squad, come to me, and we’ll shut it down. You don’t have to risk anything more than you’re comfortable with.”

She couldn’t help laughing. “Gosh, you make this job sound so appealing!”

“I need you to be aware of what you’re getting into,” he said simply. “Anything else would be jeopardizing your safety.”

“Minister, you know I’m desperate, but…” Ginny paused, trying to find the words to put it nicely. There weren’t any. “I’m not that desperate.”

Kingsley leaned forward, intently focused on his junior officer. “It would be a shame if you were. Death Eaters targeted their squad, and we don’t know why. The only hint we have, is that after that, any sane person would close the squad.”

“And so that’s the last thing you’ll do,” she concluded, understanding the gravity.

He nodded. “There’s few Aurors I’d trust with this. And if we do need to close them, I’ll do my best to get you onto a senior squad afterward. Just make it for two months.”

“I understand, sir.” This might become the worst decision she’d ever made, but Ginny wasn’t about to back down just from some slimy Slytherins. “When do I report in?”

Kingsley grinned at her decision. “Training Room 4, 8:30 tomorrow. I’ll send someone over to take your place here.” He stood, offering Ginny his hand. “Good luck, Lieutenant. You’ll need it.”

 

 

Draco angrily crumpled the note. It bore only five words, five words that single-handedly spelled the ruination of him, his career, and what shreds were left of his family name. All in five words.

It was 8:20, and inside the crumpled note read, “Lieutenant Weasley reporting for duty.”

He swore as violently as he knew how. Of course the public would only be satisfied by one of the so-called War Heroes signing off on Slytherin Squad. He had nearly specifically requested that Shacklebolt not give him Ron Weasley, but refrained out of respect for the Minster’s intelligence. But who else would Kingsley have been thinking of? Granger (now another Weasley, but she would forever be Granger to him) was Head of the DMLE, Potter was Head of the Aurors… and then there was Weasley. Yes, he was now the most famous ‘Dark-wizard Catcher’ of all time, but he was still just an Auror, and could be assigned to a squad at any time. Stupid, stupid of him to trust Shacklebolt.

He paced through the lounge of the training room, and still was pacing when the door inevitably opened. “Weasley,” he drawled bitterly, not even glancing up, “so overjoyed you could be here. I assume the Minister briefed you to clean up the nasty Slytherins’ act?”

“Something like that,” a female voice replied.

Draco whipped around. A slim redhead gaped at him from the doorway. “You’re not Weasley.”

“I am.” Amusement trickled into her voice at his confusion. “I’m Auror Weasley, here for my new assignment.”

Auror Weasley? Then it hit him. Not Ron, his sister. Was that any better? Probably not. “I’m Auror Malfoy, your new Captain.” Proper manners dictated he offer his hand, but he couldn’t quite stomach it.

She winced slightly. “And I’m your new Lieutenant.”

The door opened behind Weasley. Blaise sauntered in. "Hey Draco--" He stopped dead in his tracks at the sight of the redhead. Slowly, a grin split Blaise’s face. “Well, well, look what we have here! I never expected Ministry oversight to be so attractive!”

Weasley flushed bright red. “Not a filthy blood-traitor anymore?” she asked skeptically.

“We’re all blood traitors now.” He shrugged, offering his hand. “Never met you officially before. Welcome to the squad.”

She took it, uncertainty lingering in her eyes at this wildcard. "Where is the squad?"

He smirked. "Saw most of them right behind me at the Apparition Point. Shouldn't be long now."

The door burst open. "Draco! I heard we got a new Lieutenant!" A curly-haired blond boy burst through it. His face scrunched up at the sight of Ginny. "Oh."

"That's Theodore Nott Jr," Blaise helpfully supplied. "The scowling man behind him is Nott Sr."

The man in question paid no notice to the other team members, dropping into a chair and flicking open the newspaper.

Blaise nodded. "He's always this talkative."

Nott Sr. only snapped the newspaper higher in response, so that he didn't have to see anyone past it.

"So I'm not to take it personally?" Ginny asked Blaise. A hint of amusement leaked through.

He only shrugged. "Well, it's probably also personal, but be my guest."

Theodore Nott Jr. moved toward Draco hesitantly. "So...are things going to change?"

Draco grunted, leaning back against the glass wall. "Not if I can help it."

Ginny turned to him. "You have a normal routine you follow?"

"Is there a Ministry-proscribed one I'm missing out on?" he sneered.

Ginny turned away in disgust. "Just as likeable as I remembered," she muttered.

Next to her, Blaise snorted. Her comment was instantly forgotten as the door opened again. A grin split his face. "Hello, ladies."

Two girls strode in, dressed to the nines. The taller one, with long brown hair hanging mid back, even wore heels. She looked disdainfully around the room before dropping into a chair.

The shorter one rolled her eyes at Blaise. With short chestnut hair framing a rounder face, she couldn't help but look impish. "You sound like a creeper," she chuckled, joining Blaise. She gestured with her chin towards Ginny. "Do we have a Ministry inspection today?"

Blaise chuckled. "This is...Ginny, right?" At her nod, he continued. "Ginny Weasley, our new Lieutenant. Ginny, this is Daphne Greengrass, sister of Astoria Greengrass, the elusive creature you see over there."

Daphne swept her eyes over Ginny, taking in the well-worn combat boots, simple jeans, and cheap shirt. Her smile held all the insincerity and sarcasm a society witch could muster. "Lovely. You'll fit in in no time."

Ginny smiled insincerely back at her. "Why thank you! I'm sure we'll be best of friends!"

Blaise snorted, trying to disguise his laughter as coughing. "Excuse me," he gave up, retreating to speak to Draco.

"So how long are you here before we get a replacement?" Daphne asked what she thought was a straightforward question.

Ginny shrugged. "Maybe forever," she said, just to irritate the girl.

Daphne looked confused. "But you're not a Slytherin."

Dry laughter escaped Ginny. "Funny thing, that reminds me of a war we just fought. Where Slytherins thought they were better than everyone else and wanted to kill them for it."

"This is Slytherin Squad," Daphne explained slowly, as if Ginny were two years old. "Comprised of Slytherins. It's kind of our thing."

"And you're an Auror first," Ginny replied in an equally patronizing manner. "Where everyone’s treated equally. It's kind of their thing."

Daphne gave her an even more insincere smile, filled with barely concealed disgust. "Do excuse me." She stalked off to join Blaise and Draco chattering intently against the glass wall.

Ginny took an inventory of the training room. Nott Jr. had joined his father and the other girl in the lounge chairs, though no one was speaking to each other. The girl leafed through a magazine. Nott Jr. stared at the group surrounding Malfoy longingly.

Normally, she would go to the lounge, but Ginny had a sinking feeling the others were there specifically because she wasn't. To keep from looking like an idiot standing by herself, she wandered over to the lockers. The locker marked 'Lieutenant' still had 'Malfoy' written on it. Beside it, the tag on the Captain's locker stood ominously blank.

The door slammed open. "I told you," a surly looking man with a mustache snarled, "a new Lieutenant doesn’t mean a damned thing. We’ll have ‘em gone before he can even say ‘Slytherins’.”

Goyle followed right behind on his heels, nodding at the right parts and frowning in consternation. Just as bulky and dumb-looking as she’d remembered. A third man walked in behind Goyle, looking even more menacing and completing the team.

The silent girl (Ginny already forgot her name) pointed a finger to Ginny. The mustached older man looked where she pointed, his scowl deepening. “A Weasley, is it?”

“Yes.” Ginny braced herself.

Instead, he snorted, dropping into a lounge chair. “Figures we’d get saddled with one of them.”

Malfoy separated from Blaise and Daphne to stand in the center of the room. "Today, we'll be scrimmaging." His eyes scanned the room as some of the younger ones cheered. Loud groans came from the two older men. "Blaise, Daphne, Nott Sr, Macnair and Warrington against Nott Jr, Goyle, Astoria, and Weasley. Battle Room--now. We start in three minutes."

Ginny didn't like the smirk on his face as Malfoy headed towards her . The rest of the team strode through the glass doors. The mustached one whispered furiously to the menacing one as they headed off into the far corner of the Battle Room.

Malfoy motioned her back as the rest of the team left. “Now do you realize what you’re getting into, Weasley?”

She frowned slightly. “No”

“Merlin!” He threw his hands in the air. “Do I have to spell it out for you? We’re Slytherins. All of us. And you’re a Gryffindor. Some of them still hate your kind—“

“Are you saying I’m in danger here?” Her eyes narrowed dangerously.

“Of course not,” he bluffed easily, “We’re Aurors.”

“Good. Then let me give this to you straight.” Ginny strode up to him till her face was only inches from his, eyes still glittering fiercely. “I need this job. Aurors don’t get demoted often and this is most likely my only chance to get back in the field without shaming everyone I know. But I’ve heard about this squad. Not much, but enough to tell me that you are dangerously close to getting shut down. And I doubt other Captains take kindly to former Death Eaters on their team—“

“You don’t know what you’re talking about,” Malfoy growled.

Ginny chuckled in a decidedly unfriendly way. “Oh yes I do. Face it, Malfoy. If your little squad folds up shop I’m stuck back at HQ. I doubt – Ron, let’s say? – would have near so much incentive.” Weasley paused to let it sink in. “Work with me, just a little bit, and I’ll try to help your squad.”

As much as he didn’t want to admit it, she did have incentive. And that alone was far more than he was likely to get from anyone else.

One word from him sealed his own fate. “Deal.” Malfoy stepped back, still using his extra height to stare her down. “But I run the team without question or backtalk.”

She dipped her head. “I'll be my usual, cooperative self.” Was that sarcasm? “Now, do I get to join the scrimmage?”

An oddly malicious undertone came with his chuckle. “Of course. I wouldn’t want you to miss it.”

With a curt nod, Ginny strode through the glass doors after the team. Looking around, she took inventory of the large white room. Random boxes stacked in scattered piles, providing random scatterings of cover. One particular corner had a waist-high box next to one taller than Ginny. Excellent cover.

Only a few feet away, Goyle, the silent, spoiled-looking girl, and Nott Jr gathered. Nott's eyes roamed every corner nervously, as if the battle had already begun.

"Alright, do you guys have a plan? Usual strategies?" Ginny asked, walking over.

The girl looked like Ginny had sprouted a second head.

"We fight," Goyle answered, flexing his grip on his wand. "Take 'em down."

"Nott Jr?" Ginny asked, hoping for some sanity.

The boy winced. "Theo, please."

"Alright, Theo. What do you usually do?"

"Fight..." he answered lamely.

Ginny wanted to slam her head into a wall. "We're outnumbered. If we just 'fight', there's a good chance we'll lose. Now, what have you been taught in these situations?"

"You're just wasting time," Goyle growled.

"Don't over complicate things," the girl agreed.

Through the pillars of white boxes, Blaise trotted over. "Theo!" he called. "Switch me. Your dad wanted bonding time."

Theo gave a great sigh of relief. He darted off through the boxes where Blaise had come from.

Ginny frowned, trying to figure out what game was being played. Her scrutiny just made Blaise shrug. "Felt like changing things up."

"You're the Charms Expert on the squad?"

He swept his arm in a mock bow. "The one and only."

A shrill whistle blast echoing through the room cut off anything further.

"Brace yourself," Blaise whispered.

Ginny nodded, wand springing to her hand. As she dropped into her Auror crouch, the familiar surreal calmness stole over her.

"Good cover around the corner," she whispered to Blaise.

He nodded briskly, following her as she crept toward it. At a sharp motion from him, Goyle and the girl trailed after.

Movement ahead drew Ginny's eye. Instinctively, she rolled through the last foot of open space. A spell smashed over her head. Ducking, she crouched behind the waist-high block. She cast a shield on Blaise as he sprinted after her. With him safely next to her behind the block, she recast it on the other two.

"You two!" Ginny yelled. "Run, you're shielded!"

The girl vehemently shook her head.

"Now, Goyle!" Blaise commanded.

With a deep breath, Goyle jumped through the gap. He only landed halfway across. No spells fired as he tumbled through the rest.

On the other side, he pressed his back to the half-block next to Blaise and Ginny.

"I need to look," Ginny said to Blaise. "Cover me?"

"Shoot if you can," he added. "I got your back."

The air rippled around Ginny as Blaise's ward sprung into place. She grinned at the deep buzz--his shield was far stronger than she ever could have managed. Wand at the ready, Ginny poked her head up. Spells screamed by. They smashed into the shield, dissipating harmlessly.

The five members of the other team all aimed toward Ginny, covering her in a semicircle of wand fire. Daphne fired again, grinning. The shield absorbed it easily.

Another one stood to fire, leaving himself wide open. "Stupefy!" Ginny yelled. Her bolt slammed into him, knocking his unconscious body into the far wall. She spun before it hit the ground. Theo, this time. He didn't even try to dodge as her Stunner caught him on the arm. Two down.

"Duck!" Blaise yelled. Ginny dropped to the floor. A spell streaked by, smashing the shield.

"Recast?" Ginny asked.

He did so, but his face strained with the effort. "Careful--I can't manage it a third time."

The hum surrounded her again, if more faintly than the first time. A wicked grin came to Ginny's face. "Fight behind me? I won't let anything get by."

He raised an eyebrow skeptically. "You better be good enough to keep your word, Weaselette."

Her grin grew. "Let's show them how it's done."

Goyle stayed safely hidden behind the block, and Ginny hadn't the faintest idea where the girl on their team had gone.

"Now," Ginny whispered. As one, she and Blaise sprung to their feet. Her wand flashed, deflecting a spell. Another zoomed toward her. Ginny sent it spiraling high into the wall. The more she deflected, the less the shield had to hold back.

Frustration mounting, Daphne fired a powerful Dark spell. The sickly yellow bolt ripped apart the air as it flew.

"Protego!" Ginny yelled. The bolt flung back at Daphne. She scrambled frantically to duck out of its path. The wall steamed from the bolt’s scorch mark.

Safely behind Ginny, Blaise aimed over her shoulder. Daphne had nowhere to go as his Disarming spell hit. Her wand flew from her hand.

Macnair snarled. "Crucio!"

Ginny yanked Blaise down as she threw herself at the floor. The spell flew by harmlessly.

Anger distorted Blaise’s features as he jumped to his feet. "Stupefy!" A loud thud announced the spell had hit home.

Only one remained as Ginny joined him.

"Impedimenta!" the older man fired in desperation. It soared wide.

Ropes sprung from Ginny's wand, entangling him as he struggled to get away.

Malfoy's voice boomed across the room. "A win for...Ginny and Blaise?" Even while disembodied, the puzzlement was clear.

Throwing an arm around Ginny's shoulders, Blaise blasted congratulatory sparks from his wand. His grin should have split his face. "Ah, the sweet smell of victory!"

Ginny returned the grin. "That was some excellent Charms work, Zabini! Consider me impressed."

Ruffling her hair, he chuckled as Ginny squawked in protest. "From now on, anything you say you can do I won't doubt for a second. How'd you get such fast reflexes?"

She shrugged. "Quidditch. Practice. Training against decent opponents."

Blaise snorted at the last one. "I'll give you that."

Side-by-side, they surveyed the destruction they had wrought. The larger half of the team lay  decimated. Daphne had found her wand, and together with Malfoy, they woke the rest of the team. It took both of them to untangle the older man. Dignity torn to shreds, he stalked out of the room. The slam of the outer training room door echoed through the walls.

Hesitantly, Goyle peered over the top of his block. "We won?"

"Yes," Blaise drawled. "Your stunning spell work saved us all."

His face lit with confusion. "It did?"

"No, you halfwit!" Blaise sneered, disgusted Goyle could even think that. "You were more worthless than a flobberworm. Try firing your wand next time. It tends to help."

The rest of the Aurors gathered around in varying states of incredulity. Daphne rolled her wand in her hand, silently fuming. The girl who was supposed to have been on their team sauntered out of whatever corner she'd been hiding in. Not a trace of shame at her disappearance was visible on her.

Malfoy strode to the center of the room. "Daphne, Macnair, Warrington, Nott Jr, you know the drill. I want those lockers sparkling by tomorrow morning." Without another word, he walked back toward the glass doors.

"You're not going to say what they did wrong?" Ginny called after him in utter bewilderment.

Malfoy turned. "They'll figure it out." He strode back toward her, eyes menacing. "You have something you want to tell them?"

"A lecture from a Weasley," the mustached one snorted. "This oughta be good."

Ginny surveyed the faces watching her. Every single one looked furious at their defeat. "Does anyone know why Blaise and I could so easily defeat all of you?"

"Because you're freakishly fast?" Theo volunteered.

"And Zabini's got a thick shield," the menacing one growled.

“Zabini and I fought like any Aurors should,” heat rose to Ginny’s voice. Their complete lack of comprehension stoked her infamous temper. “Had any properly trained Aurors been fighting you, they would have decimated you just as badly--if not worse. The problem was not with us.” Her furious gaze swept over the rest of the team, Goyle and the other girl included. She bit out her next words. “The problem is that each and every one of you fought like Death Eaters!”

Silence fell across the hall. Slowly and ominously, Malfoy’s wand tapped against his arm. His jaw clenched and unclenched as he fought his anger. Still, no one said a word.

“Every single one of you,” Ginny continued, “were concerned only with your own skin. Had even one of you thought to throw up a shield around a teammate, you could have taken us down.”

“Our shields aren’t as good as Blaise’s!” Theo protested.

“They don’t have to be,” Blaise quietly replied. “There were more of you. Even taking down a few simple shields could have exhausted us and given you the victory.”

Daphne sneered at the suggestion. “Any decent spell will rip a simple shield to shreds. I can’t think of anything more useless.”

Bewilderment hit Ginny. “If by ‘decent’ you mean teaming with Dark Magic--”

“What else’ll we be fighting?” the mustached one bellowed. “I thought we were training to battle Dark Wizards, not wimpy, self-righteous Aurors!” He stood, brushing into her as he walked past. “I don’t have time for your condescension,” he snarled.

One by one, the squad silently followed him out the door.

Blaise turned to Ginny with a forced smile. “Want to join me and Daphne for drinks? Celebrate our victory?”

Behind Blaise’s shoulder, Daphne glared murderous mutiny at Ginny.

“That’s ok, you go have fun.” Ginny didn’t need the Inner Eye to tell she wasn’t wanted. “I’ll take you up on it when I’m not so exhausted.”

He shrugged. “Suit yourself.” Throwing an arm around Daphne’s shoulders, they headed toward the door.

Standing off to the side, Malfoy had still not said a word.

Furious at their useless excuse for a Captain, Ginny stalked out of the room.

 

 

“Blaise,” Draco drawled lazily. The single word held the other Auror back. Draco didn’t bother looking up from his wand, still tapping against his arm. “I distinctly remember assigning you to the other team.”

Stepping away from Daphne’s side, Blaise sauntered up to Draco. “That’s funny, because I distinctly remember you leaving out that you were giving Weasley our most incompetent Aurors, and outnumbering her. Must’ve slipped your mind.” He smiled dangerously. “As did my team assignment.”

Draco raised an eyebrow. “They’ll never accept her now.”

Blaise simply snorted. “She’d never let the team last till tomorrow otherwise. Sort out your priorities, mate.”

With a mocking salute, Blaise threw his arm back around Daphne, striding out of the training room without a glance behind him.

Leave a Review