The biting cold hit the moment Draco set foot on the other side of the Floo.

The curtains hung askew on the window of the sitting room they stepped into. The couch faded to nearly gray, with a few boards in the walls hanging loose. Once, the Jugsons’ mountain retreat had been worthy of the Pureblood line that held it, but that had been many generations ago.

The light fog carpeting the floor of the room concerned Draco the most. “How many Dementors have you got here?” he whispered to the shaking Theo.

Theo gulped. “Loads.”

Hermione, Ron, and Harry jumped through the fireplace in a well-practiced cluster, wands at the ready and scanning for enemies. Harry turned to the group. “Patronuses out--”

“No, don’t!” Theo cut in with a frantic whisper. All eyes turned to him. “The Dementors feel it. My dad and...and the others will come running the moment the Dementors move.”

Harry’s eyes narrowed. “All the Death Eaters are here?”

Theo shook his head. “Only a few right now, but--”

“How many?” Harry insisted.

“About five here now,” Theo replied. “Nearly twenty total.”

Hermione stepped forward. “Our first priority is rescuing the prisoners. If we have to fight, we will. If we get the chance to maim, kill, or capture any Death Eaters without endangering the prisoners, we will.”

Theo nodded shakily. “Of--of course. You want me to lead the way?”

Harry nodded. “Lead on.”

Theo pushed open the flaking wooden door, turning the herd of Aurors into a huge, wide hallway. Windows high in the wall let faint bits of light pattern across the procession. Floorboards creaked as they crept over them. Thin mist still covered the ground of the exceedingly wide hall.

“I think they can detect magic,” Theo whispered back at the following Aurors. “So don’t cast anything unless you have to?” His voice trailed upwards at the end, uncertain if he could give commands. Hermione nodded, and he turned back around, focusing on picking out good boards through the light mist.

Ron and Hermione followed on Theo’s heels, Daphne and Warrington in the middle, with Draco and Ginny guarding the rear. Harry hung back to walk next to Draco. “Can we trust Theo?” he whispered, looking casually up at a corner of the hallway.

Draco’s mouth tightened into a grim line. “Don’t know,” he whispered. “He let us in, so I think he’s helping, but don’t turn your back.”

Harry gave a brief nod. “If there’s a problem, we can summon help, but we can’t risk leaving a message with a potential second Mole.” He then jogged to rejoin Ron and Hermione.

Ginny, close enough to hear, shot Draco a searching look. With a grim smile, he whispered, “It’s better than nothing.”

She nodded, continuing her vigilance behind him. “How’d a Death Eater home get to be this run down? I thought you guys were steeped in galleons.”

“Not all of us,” he replied softly. As much as he hated being included, it was true. “Quite a few are just purebloods. And if they need decay to keep the Dementors happy, there isn’t a better family than the Jugsons.”

At the side of the hall, Theo opened a small rotting door, creaking ominously. “They’re down here. Careful, it’s dark.”

Harry took one look down the dark stairway, then turned back to the Aurors, staring straight at Draco. “Perfect place for an ambush. Be on your guard.”

Theo led the way, wand shaking in his hand.

Single file, they followed him down the pitch black stairs. Steps rotted away beneath them, making the going treacherous. Warrington’s foot punched through a step as he muffled swears. Daphne helped lever him out, and they kept going.

The air felt colder now, Draco’s breath making warm puffs against his cheeks. Even through the cold, the stench of rotting flesh drifted up towards him. He couldn’t imagine how long something would have to be dead to smell that putrid.

Theo’s breathy whisper carried like a gong in the silence. “We’re here.”

Carefully, they crept forward out the end of the stairway. Draco could faintly see a room at the bottom, a sliver of light casting in through a poorly covered window. Theo stood at the front of the Auror group, nerves racking his body. Not for a second did anyone think him a coward. Before him glided Dementor upon Dementor, gathering around him in black waves. Easily a hundred of the black cloaked horrors drifted through the rotting dungeon. The room must have been large, but not even the walls were visible through the horde of creatures.

“Here--to see--the prisoners,” he managed through rattling teeth. A Dementor bent his head close to Theo. Leaning back, it sucked a happy memory as the boy whimpered. The Dementor drifted back, hunger satisfied. The others parted.

Draco’s knuckles clenched around his wand. Ginny was last in the Auror line, most likely for the Dementors to grow impatient and feed on. Could he still cast a Patronus, when his insides felt so dead? Would a simple Patronus even scare off so many?

Ginny gripped his shoulder from behind. Instantly, his tension lessened. Covering her hand with his own, he whispered, “Go in front of me.”

Her grip tightened. “What? Why?”

A smile surfaced at her insubordination. “Trust me, Lieutenant.”

He flattened himself against the wall so that Ginny could pass in front. As she did, he casually rolled up his left sleeve. It might not help at all, but at the very worst, it was a good reason to keep Ginny safer.

Harry, Hermione, and Ron followed Theo through the Dementors. Daphne and Warrington trailed only a step behind, rightly terrified. The Dementors let the line of Aurors pass through a gap in the middle, but their heads turned to follow the procession. Not for one second did Draco find that reassuring. His turn came. Cautiously, he stepped amongst the Dementors, following as close to Ginny as he dared. His skin crawled as the Dementors’ eyeless gaze tracked him. Silently, they closed ranks after he passed through. No fear, show no fear, Draco chanted endlessly in his head. In darker days, his father had drilled that into him for a reason. Despite the chant, every step he took through the cold despair of the dungeon felt like his last.

After what seemed like ages, they reached a crumbling door in the back wall of the dungeon.  Theo pushed it open, pieces falling away at his touch. There might have been other rooms, but no one could see past the sea of Dementors on either side.

The first Aurors filed inside, Dementors shifting restlessly behind them. Still back among the drifting black cloaks, Draco and Ginny hurried towards the room. The eyeless gazes burned the hair on the back of Draco’s neck. Trying to appear casual, he lifted his forearm, massaging the Dark Mark with his other hand. They might have cowered away. He didn’t look behind him to check as he rushed after Ginny into the room. They shut the door behind him, for all the good it would do.

It was a simple stone walled room, but lumps huddled into the different corners. Daphne ran forward. “Blaise!” she cried, shaking one of the lumps.

His friend turned over, brightening instantly at Daphne’s face. Blaise looked pale, drawn, and covered in dirt, but no injuries that Draco could see. “Your Patronus was beautiful,” Blaise whispered. Daphne couldn’t wait any longer, and crushed him in a kiss.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione ran for the other lumps. Hermione woke one. Face bloodied, one eye swollen, Draco had no idea how she could recognize the man. “Auror Knoppish?” she whispered. Blearily, he managed a small, drunken nod.

Goyle sat up. “You guys came!”

He too, looked unharmed, and the fist of tension inside Draco’s chest unclenched all the way. Dementors were nothing compared to having his friends, his teammates back. “Of course we did,” Draco whispered, emotion making his voice hoarse. “Now we just need to get you out of here.”

Hermione looked up at Theo from wrapping gauze on Knoppish’s arm. “An Apparition ward is up, so there’s no getting out that way. At least, not without minutes for me to take it down. Any good options?”

Theo shook his head. “I was surprised the Floo worked, even. I’d suggest a window, but I think they’re spelled shut too. Oh!” he pulled wands out of his pocket, handing them to Goyle and Blaise, who was finally through kissing Daphne. “This’ll help. They snapped the other Aurors’ wands, or else I’d have them too.”

“They’re in no condition to fight,” Harry whispered, tending another of the three. “They need Healing, and fast. I don’t think the Death Eaters cared if their prisoners survived the torturing.”

“Blaise, Goyle,” Draco called, feeling Captaincy steal over him. As much as Harry and Hermione were in charge, this was his team, and no one knew them better. “Can you stand?”

Both lurched to their feet, Blaise leaning against the wall for support. Daphne offered him an arm, but he gently pushed it away. “We felt loads better when the Patronus came by. I think if someone could manage that, we’d be nearly right as rain.”

“We wait as long as possible,” Hermione whispered. “They can sense spellwork.”

“Right then, Blaise, Goyle, Daphne, you three are in charge of the injured Aurors.” Harry and Hermione looked at Draco, but as no one protested, he continued. “The moment you get the chance to get them out, you take it. No matter what it is. Daphne, when we cast Patronuses, make sure yours stays close to Blaise. He might have a shot at breaking the wards if he can think straight.”

He shouldn’t have wasted his breath. The stubborn determination gleaming from her eyes told Draco she’d do whatever it took to get Blaise out of there in one piece.

Hermione nodded with finality. “Good, that leaves the rest of us free to protect you. So when Harry--”

Draco had forgotten that he stood closest to the door.

It only took a second for the dark cloak to sweep over him, looking into the dead face with gaping mouth. In the darkness, no one noticed. Rotting hands gripped Draco's shoulder as it leaned closer. This close, he could sense its hunger. It breathed in--

And something hard slammed Draco into the wall.

It took him a moment to shake off the disorientation. When he looked back, he froze. Ginny, beautiful, wonderful Ginny stood where he had been. The Dementor inhaled a memory through her silent scream.

Draco poured all his anger and love into the spell. “EXPECTO PATRONUM!” Silver mist shot forth, coalescing into wings. It swooped in a low arc, charging the Dementor with claws flashing. The Dementor fled. The silvery griffin looked proudly over its shoulder at Draco, awaiting orders.

Ginny slumped. Draco caught her against him. All around them, Patronuses burst into life. His griffin guarded the door, daring any others to cross it. “Hey,” Draco said softly to the girl leaning against him. Her skin glowed ghostly in the silver light. “There’s a spell for that, you know.”

Ginny managed a weak smile. “Didn’t have enough time. I’ll be alright, I’ve had worse.”

He frowned. “And I haven’t?”

She just shrugged. “Not if I could stop it.”

“If Ginny’s ok,” Harry cut in, “we need to get moving.”

Ginny gave a sharp nod, stepping away from Draco. “I’m fine. Let’s move.”

Blaise and Goyle, looking much better around the Patronuses, cast Hovering Charms on two of the Aurors, Daphne Hovering the third. Outside the door had turned into a solid mass of Dementors, clawing for entrance. The Golden Trio pushed forward with their three united Patronuses. The Dementors broke upon them like a wave. Their Patronuses plowed back the sweeping black cloaks as they cleared a path from the door. Daphne’s sparrow stayed close as she, Blaise, and Goyle followed in their wake with the Aurors. Theo and Warrington hurried after, casting furtive glances at the Dementors. Lacking a Patronus’ protection made them all the more nervous. Already, the Dementors drifted closer together, seeking to close the gap. Draco’s griffin surged forward, keeping the way clear as Draco and Ginny ran next to it. The Dementors’ rasping breaths left ice on Ginny and Draco’s cheeks as they passed. Ginny shivered.

The Aurors hurried up the stairs, the narrow walls comfortingly close on either side. Draco’s griffin blocked the path behind them. The rotting corpse-hands reached around it as far as they dared.

Ginny gripped her wand tightly as they jogged up the stairs. “Expecto Patronum.” Nothing happened. She took a deep breath to steady herself. “Expecto Patronum.” Still nothing.

Draco reached forward, grabbing her free hand. She laced her fingers through his. “Expecto Patronum!” Her horse leaped forward, galloping around to guard next to his griffin. With a grin at him over her shoulder, she released his hand.

"STUPEFY!" The red bolt missed its intended target, ricocheting down from the top of the stairway. It streaked an inch away from Draco's ear.

The yells of more spells filled the air. Ginny and Draco clambered up the final steps as quickly as they could.

Over a dozen Death Eaters waited down at the far end of the long hall. Dementors glided loosely among them, and Draco lost count of how many. With the hallway dark and fog drifting, it felt like dozens.

The door to the Floo on the side of the hall still stood unguarded. The Death Eaters must not have realized how the Aurors got in.

Farthest ahead, Harry, Ron, and Hermione fought only fifteen feet from the sitting room where the Floo waited. Even with the Floo unprotected, the enemy fire was too thick to run without exposing themselves. The Trio launched spell after vicious spell, even with Ron dripping blood from his arm.

Next to the Golden Trio, Blaise, Daphne, and Warrington fought well, protecting the three incapacitated Aurors, but--

On Draco’s other side, farthest from the Floo, all Theo could handle was keeping up a shield as one Death Eater, masked beyond recognition, hammered spell after spell into it.

"Crucio!" Draco yelled.

The man dropped, writhing in pain. "My son!" he screamed. "My filthy, traitor, Muggle-loving--!"

"Stupefy!" Ginny screamed, and it silenced him.

Theo looked at them over his shaking wand. "Thanks."

"Don't mention it," Ginny replied quickly, turning back to the battle.

Safely hidden behind Blaise and Daphne, Goyle looked terrified beyond human capacity. His wand uttered feeble sparks, bouncing harmlessly off the Death Eaters’ shields.

Draco fired off more spells. Over his shoulder, he asked Theo, "Is the Floo blocked yet?"

Before Theo could answer, Blaise replied from the other side, "Not yet! Strong Anti-Apparition though, you want me to take it down?"

Merlin, it felt good to have him back. "How long?"

Blaise shrugged, firing off a curse. "Three, maybe four minutes."

"Too long!" Draco shot a nasty hex at a Death Eater, who dodged. "Floo's up, fight towards that!"

Blaise nodded, determination steeling his face.

Ginny danced among the spells, feeling more at home than she had in a long time. This. This was what she’d missed as an instructor. Spells whizzing inches away from her ears energized her. Knowing her skill protected her teammates brought a grin to her face. Seeing Death Eaters cower back from her attacks turned her grin feral.

“Come and get it, mangy dogs!” she cackled. Draco shot her an odd look, but she didn’t care. Her Bat-Bogey Hex hit a Death Eater square in the face. His mask flew off as he thrashed wildly to dodge the bats, disrupting his comrades.

It completely exposed the Death Eater next to him. “Confundus!” she cast fiercely. It hit. The Death Eater spun wildly, firing curses in all directions. Two Death Eaters fell at his wand before they stunned him.

Ginny grinned viciously. “Redu--”

A Death Eater turned his wand on her. “Avada Kedavra!”

She twisted desperately. The green bolt screamed by, slamming into the stone behind her.

Pain dropped Ginny to her knees. The spell hadn’t hit or she’d be dead. She clutched at the wrenching agony in her side. Her hand came away covered in blood. Ginny swore violently. Pulling a stunt like that with an unhealed side--

He fired again. “Avada Kedavra!”

As she rolled, something tore. The curse smashed into the floor above her head. She threw up a shield, but it would be less than tissue paper to the Killing Curse. What else could she do? When his next spell fired she would be a sitting duck.

Draco stepped in front of her. “Avada Kedavra!” His eyes screamed murderous rage as the green bolt blasted from his wand. It caught the Death Eater straight in the chest. He crumpled, the other Death Eaters watching in shock.

More than half of the Death Eaters turned toward Draco. Knowing that was anything but good, Ginny pushed herself to her knees. Blood dripping from her side, she cast a quick healing spell. It burned, and she knew it wouldn’t hold, but it was the best she could manage. Draco needed her.

Daphne and Blaise stepped up to Draco’s side. Hexes poured from the Death Eaters, furious at the Blood-Traitor who’d killed one of them.

Protego Maxima!” Blaise yelled. Most of the spells bounced off his enormous shield as Daphne deflected those that didn’t.

Draco looked at the pair in awe.

“We’ve got your back, Captain,” Daphne said solemnly, throwing up another shield. “Don’t think you have to do this alone.” She cast a withering glare down at Ginny, still struggling to her feet. “And if you even think of fighting, I’ll hex you myself.”

With a wry grin, Ginny cast a shield on Daphne. “You’d better fight, then.”

With a nod, Daphne turned back to the battle, spells flying from her wand. Draco guarded Daphne's back, just as furiously fighting, although without further Killing Spells.

Maintaining a shield was more effort than Ginny let on. She’d manage it, though, or die trying. Although there were gaps in the ranks, the Death Eaters still outnumbered the Aurors. Dementors waited at their sides, held back only by Harry, Ron and Hermione’s Patronuses. Their three silver Patronuses danced among the Dementors, the only Aurors skilled enough to maintain one while still fighting.

Dementors, Ginny realized with horror. The stairway at their backs was colder now, as Draco's and her Patronus had surely disappeared. “Expecto Patronum!” she cried. Springing from her wand, Ginny’s horse looked paler than usual, but galloped to the top of the stairway. Not a moment later, bony fingers reached around it, clutching and shoving. It reared its head and pushed back, but the Dementors pressed onwards, shoving it closer towards the unsuspecting Aurors.

“Get out!” Ginny roared. “NOW!”

Harry turned and saw, others following suit. Too slow, Ginny realized. The Death Eaters saw their opening, and fired hexes mercilessly towards the surprised Aurors. Draco turned to look at Ginny. A sickly yellow bolt burned towards him. Slamming into his shoulder, it blasted him off his feet. He crumpled against the wall by the stairs.

“Draco!” Ginny cried. Focus, she forced herself. How could she still help…? “Protego!” she cast on his crumpled body. Not a moment too soon. Another spell rebounded off her shield, slamming back at the Death Eater.

“Theo!” she yelled. He looked up, startled. With Draco down and the Golden Trio embroiled in a bloodier and bloodier battle, the Lieutenant didn’t hesitate taking charge. “Grab Draco and run!”

She tried not to watch as Draco’s body floated limply under Theo’s wand. The Dementors could nearly touch Draco, back against the wall, and Theo levitated him away in horror.

Reducto!” Warrington shot at the ceiling. The supports for the old building exploded. Beams crashed down among the Death Eaters. Very few smashed close to the Aurors; he’d aimed well.

Already, the Death Eaters realized the Aurors were fleeing. They ran through the falling debris, straight for the Aurors.

Blaise scooped an arm under Ginny’s shoulders, hoisting her to her feet. His injured Auror floated behind his wand at the other side. As one, the Auror team ran for the sitting room amidst the raining destruction. Ginny’s side screamed in pain with every step. His arm helped, but not enough.

Her Patronus held back all the Dementors it could. A dozen poured around the edges, streaming towards the running Aurors.

Nearly inside the sitting room, Hermione tripped on debris, sprawling. Harry ran back to grab her. A piece of roof fell, crashing into Harry’s head, knocking him to the ground. A spell whizzed by. Hermione pulled him up, and together they ran inside.

Looking back fearfully over his shoulder, Goyle cast a cloud of Sneezing Powder. Racked with sneezes, the Death Eaters’ spells misfired momentarily. It wasn’t much, but every bit helped.

Limping along as fast as she could, Blaise and Ginny were the last ones in. Curses exploded the door behind them.

“Jump, now!” Ron yelled. The house groaned as it collapsed, bigger and bigger chunks raining down. Theo tossed the powder in the fireplace. Dementors poured through the door as the Aurors jumped in.

Leave a Review