Draco and Daphne managed to get beds next to each other in St. Mungo's. The rest of Slytherin Squad stood vigil. A swarm of Healers descended on the others, examining them just to be sure. After poking and prodding, the Healers discovered that Warrington was hiding a major gash, Theo was singed, Goyle was slashed, and Ginny's side had definitely reopened. Much to everyone’s annoyance, Theo, Warrington, Goyle, and Ginny were admitted as well.

Ginny’s nemesis of a Healer even came by to make sure she actually stayed in her bed, with admonishing words for disobeying her orders and battling Dark Wizards. Grumbling about the fate of the Wizarding World hanging in the balance, Ginny complied.

Morning dawned bright and early as Blaise watched over the injured team. It made sense that the Auror with the strongest shield was the only one who hadn’t been injured, but still, he took pride in his accomplishment. It wasn’t often that he got to lord something over the entire rest of the squad.

Ginny wasted no time throwing off her own sheets and finding her shoes. “It's not like they haven't healed my side before,” she muttered, pulling her boots on. “No need for all this fuss.”

Blaise chuckled. “Some people like fuss.” He gestured toward the side table, where piles of flowers waited, a stack of get well cards spilling onto the floor.

She raised an eyebrow. “For us?”

He shrugged. “Well, half of them are from some sort of Weasley, but for the most part, yes.”

Daphne sat up, rubbing her head. “Where am I? Everything feels all fuzzy.”

In an instant Blaise was at her side, filling her in on all the details.

One by one, the rest of the team came to, in varying degrees of wellness. Once they were all awake, Ginny’s least favorite Healer came by, her stern look slightly softened. “The Minister of Magic Flooed over, asking Slytherin Squad to report in as soon as they were able. I can tell him to wait--”

Instantly, they scrambled out of bed, tugging on shoes and hunting for their Auror robes.

The Healer cast a withering glare at Ginny. “They would be your squad, wouldn’t they?”

Ginny positively beamed back at her. “I wouldn’t have any other.”

 

The Minister of Magic’s office had to suffice in place of the War Room, which was still undergoing repairs. It was a deceptively large room, with a whole conference table and a dozen chairs fitting in front of his desk. Wide windows behind the desk looked down several stories onto the streets of Muggle London.

Kingsley, Hermione, Harry, and Ron stood as Slytherin Squad entered. Harry didn’t seem much worse for the wear, but a partially-healed gash glistened across Ron’s drawn face, and Hermione’s arm hung in a sling.

“Thank you for coming,” Kingsley greeted them evenly, and everyone took their seats. The Slytherins sat with some trepidation. Theo seemed particularly uneasy, and when Ginny remembered his last meeting, she instantly understood why.

“We lost ten Aurors last night,” Hermione started bluntly.

Draco winced. “The Azkaban squad.”

But Hermione shook her head. “Only nine of the Azkaban squad. One fell at the Ministry, as the Death Eaters snuck in.”

A frown creased Ginny’s face. “Then what about the tenth member of the Azkaban squad? Wasn’t Ron fighting alone?”

“I was,” Ron replied tersely. “The tenth bastard had a large sum transferred from a Malfoy vault to one of his in Bolivia. Two guesses where he’s disappeared to.”

“My mother and I weren’t involved with that,” Draco gritted out. “I warned you my father was bribing someone.”

Hermione held up a hand to stall the Slytherin’s anger. “We know. And Goyle’s father, the Death Eater, volunteered to take Veritaserum to reduce his Azkaban sentence even further.”

Goyle lit up at that, but remained silent.

Harry scrubbed a hand through his hair. “The traitor of an Auror apparently slipped Lucius a wand so that he could resurface the Dark Mark. And slipped him a charmed mirror to communicate with the outside world.”

Theo shuddered. “We found that one.”

“And helped the Death Eaters break into Azkaban,” Hermione added darkly. “If he ever sets foot in Britain, I’ll--” she cut off viciously, shaking her head. “It won’t be nice.”

“So that was the mole?” Ginny asked. “That doesn’t make sense though. The Azkaban squad hadn’t rotated in, so he wouldn’t have had contact with the other senior squads.”

Harry grinned. “Hermione was the mole on the senior squads.”

The Head of the DMLE groaned, dropping her head into her one working hand. “I asked you not to say it like that!”

Blaise raised an eyebrow, turning to the woman in question as the sanest one. “Then how would you put it, Hermione?”

Raising her head, a grimace plastered across Hermione’s face. “The secretary in a coma who was Polyjuiced to look like me went around to the different squads, drilling them on their mission parameters, ‘to make sure they knew them well enough’.”

Ron grunted. “Not a single Auror suspected a thing. Of course Hermione would drill them a million times on everything they already knew.”

Draco’s eyebrows felt like they were about to fly off of his face. “So you’re saying this whole time, there wasn’t ever a mole on the senior squads?”

Hermione shook her head proudly. “They were every inch the competent, trustworthy Aurors we knew them to be.”

Blaise snorted. “Looks like we’re out of a job, then.”

“Did…” Theo started, trailing off awkwardly. “Were there any deaths, you know… among the prisoners?”

Harry nodded, respectfully keeping his face solemn. “Your father was killed, Theo. As were Macnair and Lucius, and a handful of others. We’re releasing the list later today, if you’re interested.”

Theo flopped back in his chair, taking a deep, steadying breath. “No, that’s alright. I’ll be ok.”

Hermione tried a compassionate smile. “In better news, the three Aurors your squad saved from the Jugson manor look like they’ll make it after all. Goyle’s dad told us what they were tortured with, and they’re finally getting better.”

Goyle sat up even straighter, smiling proudly.

“The Dementors?” Daphne asked. “They’re all gone?”

Harry shrugged. “Driven off for now, at least. I don’t know if they’ll ever be gone, but hopefully they’ll find a better place to locate to, full of Dark Wizards to torment.”

“Or just fade away,” Hermione lectured, as if it were a long-standing argument. “If Dementors can breed, they can’t be entirely unkillable, or else the whole world would be overrun with them.”

Harry turned to Slytherin Squad, clearly looking to stop Hermione’s lecture before it could gather steam. “Now it’s your turn. What happened on your side of the Azkaban raid?”

Draco sighed, settling in for the long story.

After they’d finished recounting every single detail, Shacklebolt stood. “If that’s everything, I have another meeting to prepare for.”

Taking the cue, Slytherin Squad stood as well. Draco’s leg gave out, and he only barely grabbed the back of his chair in time to keep anyone from noticing.

“We will be requiring your attendance again at 2 o’clock in the Trial Room,” Hermione said. “Please arrive promptly, if not before, and in your formal Auror Dress Robes.”

Blaise raised an eyebrow. “Well, doesn’t that sound ominous.”

Harry chuckled. “It should.”

 

Unwillingly crammed into their formal robes, Slytherin Squad fidgeted outside the doors into the Trial Room.

“It really seems a waste to get us all fancied up just to put us on trial,” Daphne frowned, trying to get Blaise’s obstinate collar to lie flat.

Draco sat in a chair off to the side of the waiting room, preserving his limited ability to stand.

Warrington and Goyle had pulled a deck from Merlin-knew-where and were playing Exploding Snap off to the other side. They’d probably end up singed and more disheveled than they already were, but Draco was in no mood to mother them.

“Just relax, Theo,” Ginny tried to soothe the stressed Auror. She looked impeccably professional in the navy blue robes piped with gold. “It’ll be a formal debriefing in front of the Wizengamot, that’s all. No one’s in trouble.”

Theo nodded too vigorously, trying to pretend he believed her, and fooling no one.

Ginny finally abandoned him as a lost cause and walked over to Draco. “How’s the leg?” she asked.

Her Captain shrugged. “Healer says I’ll be back to normal soon enough, but that doesn’t make it any more fun to stand on right now.”

Ginny eyed a suspicious looking cane sticking out of the wastebasket. “I take it that was yours?”

“I’m not using a cane,” Draco growled. “That Healer can stick it up his--” he cut off, fuming.

Ginny chuckled. “Better than collapsing in front of the entire Wizengamot, at least?”

He scowled as ferociously as his face could manage. “I’ll try to time it right. Might even get a sympathy vote out of it.”

She stubbornly raised a single eyebrow. “Because that won’t make headlines.”

“No more than ‘Draco Malfoy with a Cane’ will make a cover photo,” he fumed.

Ginny dropped into the chair next to him. “You could always lean on me,” she said softly. “My Healer declared me fit for duty.”

Draco chuckled. “Your Healer was too scared to do otherwise. Sooner or later they’ll stop treating you at all, you know.”

Patiently, she waited for his real response.

Draco let out a sigh. “That sounds like a fair compromise, actually. And one I wouldn’t mind plastered across the top of whatever slanderous article they manage to conjure up.”

The doors opened, two Aurors walking in to escort the squad.

Goyle and Warrington hastily stood, shoving the cards into their pockets. With horror, Daphne took in the disastrous state of their robes. Two quick spells muttered under her breath did the trick, as the burn marks vanished, their robes creasing themselves, much to the boys’ dismay.

Ginny stood, offering Draco her hand. “Ready?”

“Ready as I’ll ever be,” he grumbled, taking it. His leg already protested, but wrapping an arm around Ginny helped take the strain off.

One of the Aurors pulled out a scroll, reading woodenly off of it, “Please line up as follows: Gregory Goyle, Cassius Warrington--”

Ginny looked shocked. “Cassius? Wow, wouldn’t have guessed that.”

“--Theodore Nott, Daphne Greengrass, Charms Expert Blaise Zabini, Lieutenant Ginevra Weasley, and Captain Draco Malfoy.”

Slytherin Squad formed the line, Ginny and Draco obstinately standing together at the back. Daphne leaned around Blaise to look at Ginny. “Ginevra, huh?”

Playfully, Ginny wrinkled her nose. “It’s nice for formal occasions! Using it anywhere else would make me want to puke.”

Daphne laughed, leaning back into line.

Slowly, their line moved out. Beyond the open doors loomed the central pit of the trial room. Only this time, the solitary chair covered in chains was nowhere to be seen. A stand broad enough for the whole team awaited them.

The moment Goyle crossed through the doors and into the view of the room, the applause began. It startled him, nearly making him stop dead in his tracks. Only a small prod from Warrington kept him moving.

Draco couldn’t believe his ears. As it was finally Ginny and his turn to enter the room, he looked up into the stands in awe. The full Wizengamot crammed solemnly into their usual seats, but the spectators in the benches on either side cheered wildly.

“Draco,” Ginny gasped. “Look at our stand.”

As Goyle and Warrington mounted the steps, moving formally into place at the far end of the raised block, Draco finally examined it. It was dark green, but cornered and lined in gold. Like their Quidditch uniforms had been, he realized. Whether the gold represented the Aurors or Gryffindor, he couldn’t care less. Both were perfect.

The squad mounted the steps, filing to either side as Draco and Ginny ended in the center.

To their astonishment, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Minister of Magic, followed them up the stairs. He turned out to the gathered audience, who hushed at a simple gesture.

“We are here,” he intoned broadly, “to honor the bravery of Britain’s unsung heroes. This very day, you would be facing a Third Great Wizarding War had not these fearless Aurors, the Ministry’s finest, stepped up to hold back the tide of evil -- at whatever the cost."

Kingsley turned to look in Draco’s flabbergasted face. The nod he gave the Captain conveyed the deepest gratitude. “When they went to Azkaban,” Kingsley continued, turning back to the crowd, “they knew reinforcements were in short supply, and Death Eaters were running rampant. They knew they would face friends, family, even fathers on the other side of their wands. But most importantly, they knew they were the only hope the Wizarding World had of remaining safe from the fear and tyranny a fresh onslaught of Death Eaters would bring.”

The Minister opened a box, medals gleaming brightly from inside. Draco felt like he was about to collapse. For once, his bad leg had nothing to do with it. “It is my greatest privilege,” Kingsley continued, starting with Goyle, “to award Aurors Gregory Goyle, Cassius Warrington, and Daphne Greengrass with the Order of Merlin, Second Class for their outstanding spellwork, bravery, and raw determination in the Battle of Azkaban. Without you three, your team would have fallen.” He moved down the line, pinning the medal on each of them, to the applause of the crowd. Daphne clapped her hand to her face, desperately fighting back tears.

The Minister passed Ginny and Draco, stopping at Theo on the far end. “It is my privilege to present the Order of Merlin, Second Class to Auror Theodore Nott, along with the Crest of Espionage.” Theo’s mouth fell open, dumbstruck, as Kingsley continued. “It is thanks to the guts and nerve of this man that five captured Aurors are here with us today. And it is nothing short of his inside information that gave this squad what they needed to head to Azkaban and stop the Death Eaters in their tracks.”

Theo was definitely crying as his medal was pinned, even stroking his Crest of Espionage unbelievingly as Kingsley walked on.

“To Auror Blaise Zabini, I present the Order of Merlin, Second Class, along with the Goshawk Charms Award, First Degree.” Kingsley smiled. “It is rare to see such intricate knowledge of wards used so exceptionally under the pressure of battle. Without you, Azkaban’s wards would have fallen, and today, we would be witnessing the trail of destruction left by the escaped Death Eaters. Slytherin Squad should count itself honored to have such talent.”

“It does,” Blaise quipped. Scattered chuckles echoed through the crowd. Kingsley himself fought back a smile.

The Minister paused, looking a girl he knew quite well in the eyes. “To Lieutenant Ginevra Weasley, the Wizengamot and I present the Order of Merlin, First Class.” Ginny gasped audibly. “For her bravery, spellwork, and fearsome refusal to sit by as evil grows. For her willingness to work with unusual teammates and protect them at the risk of her own life. For her instrumental role in shaping one of the Ministry’s finest Auror squads, we proudly give this highest honor to you.”

Ginny managed a smile, barely, through the sheer overwhelming wave of emotions washing over her.

Kingsley moved on, to the last person in the line. Draco braced himself, guessing what was coming, but the anticipation still rubbed his nerves raw.

Knowing the anxiety this ceremony would cause, Kingsley gave Draco a reassuring smile. “And to Captain Draco Malfoy, the Wizengamot and I present the Order of Merlin, First Class.” Draco clutched Ginny to him tighter, afraid he really would fall over. A wry smile stole across the Minister’s face. “To the unexpected Captain of the unexpected squad. To the man who, with the help of the others you see standing here, managed to find, catch, and route every remaining Death Eater in Britain. It is thanks to his leadership, foresight, and sheer nerve that he led his squad to what might very well have been their deaths, and instead saved us all. To you and your Slytherin Squad, the Heroes of Azkaban, we give our highest thanks.”

As the Minister bowed, the crowds behind him exploded. Even the Wizengamot, sitting sedately among their rows, clapped discreetly. Finally, Draco got a good look into the crowds. His heart caught in his throat as he spotted his mother, alternating between holding a handkerchief to her eyes and clapping wildly. A few rows down, Snape even clapped for the squad, giving Draco a smirk when he caught his ex-student watching.

“Aww, look,” Ginny whispered discreetly to Draco. “Our parents are sitting only a few seats apart. How long do you reckon before they notice and try to move to the other side of the room?”

“No bet,” Draco replied wryly. As the cheering died down, Narcissa surreptitiously joined Snape two rows below her.

Blaise leaned toward Ginny from the other side. "One of the Ministry's finest Auror squads, huh? How long do you think we can fool them?"

The Slytherin Squad Lieutenant grinned. "I guess we get to find out."

 

The crowd in the stands dispersed to join the squad in the area below. The seven Aurors of Slytherin Squad milled through the masses of people. High ranking Ministry officials, reporters, and just plain curious witches and wizards all gathered around in interest to hear the Slytherin Squad retelling of the Battle of Azkaban. Among the crowd, the horde of redheads stood out from miles away. Grinning, Ginny headed towards them.

Her mother nearly broke Ginny’s ribs as she crushed her daughter to her. “Order of Merlin! That’s the third in the family!”

Ginny chuckled, difficult to do while struggling for air. “Thanks, Mum,” she replied wryly. Once again the surrealness of being a Weasley struck her, that the highest award in the land was reduced to the equivalent of earning her Prefect’s badge. It wouldn’t be long before her mother scolded Fred and George for not being in the Order of Merlin as well.

After her mother had finished with her, Ron clapped his sister on the shoulder. “Congrats, Gin. It’s high time you joined the rest of us.”

Playfully, she shoved him off. “Where were you during the ceremony, ickle Ronnikins? Could have sworn you were in Slytherin Squad too.”

He shrugged easily. “Being under a Captain’s not my style. And especially not him.” Ginny punched her brother in the arm. Ron threw his hands up defensively. “Alright, your boyfriend wasn’t all bad, I admit. But I’m glad to be on my own again. They’re holding my award ceremony separately anyway, since I acted on my own in the battle.”

Any further conversation was lost as the twins ambushed Ginny in a double bear hug. “Little sister!” Fred cheered, hefting her off the ground between him and George. “Little sister killed big bad Death Eaters!” George finished.

“I’ve killed Death Eaters before!” Ginny protested, smushed between the aggressive affection of her two brothers.

George shrugged. “But now you’re a hero.” He dropped her, staring intently into her face. “How’s it feel to be officially a hero, Gin?”

Fred crossed his arms across his twin’s back. “Tell us, Gin, we wouldn’t know.” Ginny rolled her eyes at two of the biggest heroes of the Battle of Hogwarts.

“I sense a need for some adult supervision here.” Hermione walked over, beaming fondly at her husband, brothers-in-law, and sister-in-law. “They’re harassing you, of course?”

Ginny grinned at her best friend. “I wouldn’t recognize them if they weren’t.”

One side of Hermione's Auror robes dangled loosely, hiding the sling underneath. “I never heard how badly you got hurt,” Ginny realized. “Seeing your blood in the War Room panicked all of us.”

Hermione shrugged with her good shoulder. “I took a few hits when the Death Eaters stormed the War Room. Nothing St. Mungo’s couldn’t handle, but it was serious.”

Ron snorted. “Don’t let her kid you. Every Death Eater targeted her when they charged in. It was all Kingsley could do to get her out in time. And I barely managed to Apparate to Azkaban ahead of them.”

Hermione sighed. “Nine Aurors died because we couldn’t hold the War Room. I don’t think I’ll forget that.”

Ginny raised an eyebrow. "Really, Hermione? You, Ron, and Kingsley against twenty Death Eaters? I'm glad you have realistic expectations."

Fred threw an arm around his wife. “It’s a good thing she has you to talk sense into her. She keeps ignoring me.”

“Speaking of ignoring,” George interjected, “isn’t that your darling Captain being swarmed by reporters?”

Ginny followed his gaze. Earlier, Draco had spotted a lone chair against the wall, claiming it eagerly. Now, reporters encircled him, cornering him in it while they pressed for answers. She could barely spot him through the crowd.

“Not again,” Ginny sighed. “I’ll be back.”

As she shoved through the milling masses, reporters turned to her instead. “Miss Weasley! How was Azkaban? We hear Slytherin Squad was brave in the fight?”

“The bravest,” she replied tersely, not slowing for a second. “Minister Shacklebolt said it better than I ever could. Excuse me.”

At the center of the crowd, Draco sat stiffly in his chair, utterly overwhelmed, and holding out as best he could manage. “No, no one got out,” he replied for what sounded like the tenth time. “Yes, we killed multiple Death Eaters in the process.” Spotting Ginny, his entire body drained in relief.

A smirk twitched at her lips. “Urgent squad business, Captain. You’re needed elsewhere.”

“Thank Merlin,” he muttered under his breath. “Lead on, Lieutenant,” he said for the reporters.

With an awkward combination of her helping hand and Draco tripping over his own leg, they managed to hoist him to his feet while only looking clumsy, instead of crippled.

The reporters safely redirected to Hermione, Ron, and the Weasley clan. Good, Ginny thought with a smirk. There were enough Weasleys to go around. It didn't take long for Fred and George to turn it into a promotional opportunity for Weasleys Wizard Wheezes, with the reporters laughing riotously.

“Large families seem to come in handy occasionally,” Draco remarked dryly.

Ginny laughed. “They’re good for making clean escapes, if that’s what you mean. Although I perfected that when I was three.”

Narcissa Malfoy waited in front of them, her hands clasped dignifiedly on top of her elegant robes. Giving up all pretense of composure, she threw her arms around her son, nearly smacking Ginny in the process. “I’m so proud of you!” Narcissa cried into his shoulder.

He wrapped an arm around her, returning the hug. “Father’s dead,” he said softly.

“I know.” She pulled away to hold him at arm's length. “We’ll deal with that later.” Proud tears pricked at Narcissa’s eyes over her smile. “Today is for you. My son, in the Order of Merlin.”

Blaise and Daphne sauntered over, Theo tagging along with nowhere better to be. “First Class, I might add,” Blaise cut in, his arm around Daphne’s shoulders. “Not Second Class like the rest of us tossers.”

Ginny rolled her eyes. “You’ve got better things to complain about than getting only the second highest award in the land.”

Blaise grinned. “Not me. I love complaining.”

Daphne smacked a hand across his chest. “Highest Charms award, darling. Some of us just got the second highest award in the land, so do shut up.”

He shrugged, a terrible mockery of modesty. “True.”

Narcissa looked proudly over her son’s teammates. “You all earned every medal ten times over, I’m sure.”

“I hope so,” Daphne replied honestly. “But if I never set foot on Azkaban again, it’ll still be too soon.” She craned her neck, searching through the crowds. “Oh look, my parents made it! Even Astoria! Come on, let’s go rub our medals in her deserter face.”

Gleefully, she and Blaise ran off. Theo stayed awkwardly behind, scuffing a foot against the ground and not saying a word.

Narcissa turned to him. “Are your--” She cut off at the horrified realization. Theo would never again have parents attend any honor awarded, large or small. Instead, Narcissa hid her pity behind the most motherly smile imaginable. “Theo, dear, I heard what the others did to earn their medals, but I haven’t heard the story behind your Crest of Espionage. Can you tell me, or is that still classified?”

Instantly, he brightened. “I was Slytherin Squad’s double agent inside the Death Eaters. Blaise and Goyle wouldn’t have made it back from being captured without me.”

Narcissa’s eyes widened, genuinely impressed. “That sounds incredibly difficult.”

“It was,” Theo stated proudly. “I had to keep them safe from hundreds of Dementors too.”

Now Narcissa’s face turned incredulous, and Draco had to laugh. “He’s not exaggerating. There really were hundreds of Dementors.” He wasn’t sure how much ‘keeping safe’ Theo had actually done, but wouldn’t be surprised if he had. “Glad to have a master spy on the team,” he couldn’t resist adding.

Theo blushed, recognizing the joke. “Thanks,” he replied weakly.

Two attractive girls around Theo’s age walked by, the nearest blonde giving him an approving once-over. “Congrats on the secret agent medal!” she said, smiling broadly.

Stunned shock turned into raw determination as the girls passed. “I’m going to be the best Auror ever,” Theo whispered to himself.

Ginny snorted. “I think she was inviting you to go introduce yourself.”

Without wasting another second, he dashed off after her.

A simple smile on her face, Narcissa turned to Ginny. “You obviously had a hand in all of this.”

Draco let out a burst of laughter. “More than a hand! We’d still be sitting back in our training room, resenting the prejudice of the Aurors if it hadn’t been for her. Not just because she integrated,” he quickly clarified, “but because she pushed us, and refused to settle for a squad that was anything less than the best.” A playful grin crossed his face as he looked down at the redhead his arm was wrapped around. “Or a lazy Captain. You keep me on my toes, Lieutenant.”

Ginny grinned up at him. “Good. You’re an excellent Captain, with me around to keep you in line.”

Narcissa smiled at the couple, full of happiness Ginny had never expected to see. Maybe an Order of Merlin worked wonders for a mother’s approval. Whatever it was, Ginny just hoped it lasted.

“I see you’ve earned yourself a medal,” Snape drawled from behind them. Instantly, Ginny and Draco turned, taking in their old teacher. Still in his dark black robes, they at least weren’t greasy or spotted as he’d tried to look more formal for the occasion. “Anytime one of the Heroes of Azkaban,” Snape said the phrase with a sarcastic twist of his mouth, “wants to become Slytherin’s Head of House, please do, so I can finally retire.”

Ginny nodded. “Sounds good. I accept.”

Snape chuckled, not expecting her humor. “You know, Draco, you’re the first Slytherin recipient of the Order of Merlin, First Class.” He raised an eyebrow. “I expect at least a yearly guest lecture out of you.”

Draco stood stunned. He had not known. “Alright,” he barely managed through the daunting revelation.

The Potions Master inclined his head in farewell and departed through the crowds.

Ginny turned to look at Draco. “First Slytherin, huh?”

“I hadn’t the faintest idea,” he whispered.

 

THE HEROES OF AZKABAN, the headline proudly declared their new title. Below it stood a picture of Slytherin Squad as they’d been during their ceremony: the members of the squad arrayed on either side as their Captain stood in the middle, his arm proudly around their Lieutenant.

“‘We are here to honor the bravery of Britain’s unsung heroes,’ Minister Shacklebolt announced just yesterday,” Daphne read aloud from the article. “And honor them he did. It seems a second battle for our very way of life was fought without anyone even knowing it. Reports are still coming in that the once infamous, now famous, Slytherin Squad, as they call themselves, has been silently waging war with the very heart of evil itself.” Daphne paused, giving a significant look to Blaise, Draco, and Ginny, intently listening around her.

“Read on,” Draco growled. “Don’t insist on reading it first and then stop halfway.”

She chuckled, complying. “It started over half a year ago, with the death of their late Captain, Richard Murstow, targeted by Death Eaters for showing redemption-seeking Slytherins another way to prove themselves. A way, as Slytherin Squad has shown us, that didn’t require they take a Dark Mark.”

“Hey look,” Blaise commented unhelpfully. “They even forgot you have one, Draco!”

Daphne giggled, reading on. “Led by their Captain, Draco Malfoy, an ex-Death Eater himself--”

“Too soon, Blaise,” Ginny snorted.

“Shut up, all of you!” their Captain snapped. Daphne raised an eyebrow. “Obviously except Daphne,” he amended, rolling his eyes.

With an overly gracious nod, Daphne continued. “Led by an ex-Death Eater himself, if the unquestionable victories of this strange squad don’t prove once and for all that people can change, nothing ever will. In a world torn by the divisive strife created by pure-blood elitism, nothing is as soothing a balm to that wound as Slytherin Squad. Comprised of exclusively pure-blood members (including the media darling, Ginny Weasley, as most forget), they have nevertheless shown unwavering loyalty to the Ministry and protection of wizards of every kind. As Minister Shacklebolt put it, when this squad fearlessly ventured to Azkaban, ‘they knew they would face friends, family, even fathers on the other side of their wands.’ Yet not for one moment did that stop them. I would venture to say they showed MORE courage and bravery in this one act than we have seen since the final days of Voldemort himself.”

Blaise whistled. “Can we hire this reporter permanently?”

Daphne ignored her boyfriend. “And I am not alone in this opinion,” she read on. “When I hear my fellow colleagues speak of the Heroes of Azkaban, they do so with the utmost admiration. To us, in our comfortable, everyday lives, it is an unthinkable prospect to face down friends and family we have known since the cradle. To say, at the point of a wand if need be, that enough is enough to people you once trusted. After receiving nothing but distrust and prejudice from the Wizarding World, Slytherin Squad has gone on to save us all. To these heroes, I add my thanks to Minister Shacklebolt’s. For what they have done and risked, there is no possible repayment.”

All four of them sat silently in Draco’s living room. Only the newspaper crinkled as Daphne avidly reread it.

A stunned look lingered on Blaise’s face. “They clearly don’t like us much,” he drawled, to break the silence.

Daphne frowned, not bothering to look up from the article. “Below the article, the reporter adds, ‘Lieutenant Ginny Weasley confirms: a non-pureblood member is the next step for Slytherin Squad. Rumors of who is in the running on page 8.’”

As one, all three Slytherins swiveled to look at their Gryffindor Lieutenant. Ginny smirked at their discomfort. “Well it is, isn’t it?”

A frown formed across Draco’s face. “That… shouldn’t be a problem,” he replied, surprising himself. He looked to Blaise and Daphne. “Anyone know why that would be a problem?”

Blaise shrugged. Daphne flipped through to page 8. “Just make sure they’re not prettier than me, or a better Auror. I like being on the upper end of the team, thank you very much.” She said it with a firm nod, proudly starting the list. As she read it, her jaw fell open. “This is every well-known Auror serving right now.” Reading further, she added in a stunned whisper, “And some that are retired.”

Ginny nodded proudly. “Owls have already started coming in, letting me know they’ll accept if we offer.”

Blaise chuckled at his girlfriend. “Looks like you’ll have to stay on the upper end through actual effort.”

Daphne’s face fell even further as she looked at the list. “Not her, she’s gorgeous!

Draco turned to his Lieutenant. “Any recommends?”

“Nope!” Ginny grinned proudly at her team. “I’d recommend we pick the best one, and hope they happen to be muggle-born or a Hufflepuff.”

“A Hufflepuff!” Blaise’s face twisted in revulsion. With a sigh, he relented. “And I thought my trials and tribulations would cease after suffering through a Weasley. Two of them, even.”

Laughing, Ginny stood. “Come on, let’s go get something to eat. I’m starving.”

 

The four of them Apparated to Diagon Alley, strolling amiably through its crowded streets. As they passed by, occasionally a wizard would stop to stare.

“Not this already,” Draco growled, hobbling along next to Ginny. “I thought Azkaban would have earned us a day’s break, at least.”

“Excuse me?” A hesitant voice came from behind them. Puzzled, the Aurors stopped, turning to see what it was. A girl, young enough to have just started Hogwarts when they had been leaving, fiddled self-consciously with the hem of her sleeves.

“I just wanted to say thank you,” she barely managed, blushing to the roots of her hair.

“You’re very welcome,” Ginny said for her teammates, who were stunned into silence.

The four stopped Aurors drew further attention as even more people spotted them. A slight crowd gathered at the edges of the street, respectfully keeping their distance, but making sure to nudge their friends and point out the Aurors.

A young man ventured forward, his face twitching as he held back tears. “My mum was on the Azkaban squad. I know you couldn’t save her, but it means the world that you didn’t let her death be for nothing.”

One by one, he shook hands with the four members of Slytherin Squad. No one could manage a response to that.

Even more people came forward, making sure Slytherin Squad heard their personal, heartfelt thanks. Food stood forgotten as the Aurors who had dared hope to be simply accepted learned that they had become so much more.

 

In the days following, life returned mostly to normal. Wizards stopped approaching Slytherin Squad on the street to sob their gratefulness. The squad was quite ready for this. There were only so many times you could emotionally handle strangers interrupting your errands with their undying gratitude before your smile started to look worn.

Draco demolished the wards around Malfoy Manor. He was done with surprises from beyond the grave. With the help of Blaise and Bill Weasley, he built new ones. Nothing could be as strong as Voldemort’s handiwork, but second-best had never looked more appealing. Some things came with too high a cost.

Once Ginny's human dignity required she move out of Daphne's home, she bought herself a nice little flat outside Diagon Alley. On the Wizarding side, this time. Even this distance was too much, and it didn’t take long for Draco to propose. Overjoyed, Ginny, of course, accepted. Witch Weekly went wild, posting article after article about their new favorite couple.

Ginny and Draco started preparations for a small, intimate wedding, with just their closest friends and family. Narcissa heard wind of these plans, and promptly flung them out the window. She refused to give her son anything but the grandest wedding the Wizarding World had ever seen. Horrified at the idea of such a media circus, the couple put their foot down. Narcissa reluctantly settled for a small, elegant affair and delighted in planning far too much of it. His mother flourished under the attention, surprising both Draco and Ginny as she became the couple's fiercest defender.

Ginny and Draco attended many further gatherings at the Burrow. It soon became a pleasure, as the Weasleys did what Weasleys do best, and welcomed him wholeheartedly. Blaise and Daphne even came occasionally, and Draco discovered a long-forgotten cousin in Nymphadora Tonks. Large families could be a burden (and often were), but Draco, raised as an only child, found himself secretly loving it.

Draco made good on his word, visiting Snape every so-often to speak to the next generation of Slytherins. Snape could spot the rotten eggs in the bunch with the practiced ease of a teacher. Most were too far gone, but any he and Draco stopped from following the path they had taken were counted as the highest victory by both men.

It would be lying to say no one ever thought poorly of the Slytherin team again.

But when they did, it was because the Slytherins had earned it.

Leave a Review