Ginny waited nervously on the extremely familiar porch. The door opened. Molly Weasley took one look at her baby girl and scooped her up with tears of joy. "Oh, Ginny dear, we were so worried about you! What with your flat blowing up, and you being missing and..." The witch trailed off as she saw who else stood on her porch.

"Mum," Ginny said diplomatically, "allow me to introduce you to my friends. This is Daphne Greengrass--"

Daphne made a beautiful curtsy. "Delighted to meet you."

"Blaise Zabini--"

Blaise kissed Molly Weasley's hand, oozing charm even from a wheelchair. "The pleasure is all mine." Mrs. Weasley blushed.

"--and Draco Malfoy."

Draco gave a slight bow. "I wish our previous meetings had been under better circumstances. If you will forgive my past behavior? I have found your daughter to be quite the charming young lady and am sad it took me this long to see past our two families' history."

Molly Weasley stood flummoxed. "I-- I--"

"Oh, I nearly forgot!" Daphne chirped, pulling out an exquisite vase, "I wouldn't be a proper guest if I forgot my gift! Silly me!"

Blaise produced an exotic orchid. "A beautiful flower for the beautiful lady."

Draco handed her a box of the finest cigars, with a small smile. "Just in case Mr. Weasley feels left out."

Nearly too overwhelmed to speak, Mrs. Weasley beamed, ushering them all inside. "It's so exciting to have new faces! I'll have to warn you, it's just roast beef with some potatoes and carrots..."

Daphne leaned over to Ginny and whispered, "Weasleys: 0, Slytherins: 1!"

Skeptically, the four of them followed the Weasley matron inside.

Before coming, Ginny had briefed her friends thoroughly. "My mum is the main thing to be aware of. Befriend her instantly, and don't be afraid to overdo it. She'll either do everything she can to disapprove, or become your fiercest defender. And trust me," she added with a smirk, "none of my family can go against her for long."

"Should I play up my 'I'm just an innocent pure-blooded gentleman's daughter?" Daphne had asked, furiously batting her eyelashes to demonstrate. The impression had left Ginny in stitches.

It was perfect so far. Mrs. Weasley happily bustled about, finding places to set her beautiful flowers and vase.

The house stood mostly empty, still preparing for the weekly dinner. This was on purpose--Ginny wanted to garner as much support as possible before they were outnumbered.

Arthur Weasley walked over, cautiously evaluating the group before him. He nodded briefly in greeting to Daphne and Blaise, but singled out Draco. "So." Eyes slightly narrowed, Mr. Weasley puzzled out how to respond to the young man. "I hear my daughter thinks you're worthy to bring under my roof."

With a solemn nod, Draco replied, "Her judgment often surprises me." With horror, he realized it could be taken as a backhanded remark.

Luckily, Mr. Weasley took it with only a small chuckle. "That it does. I hear she's taken up with your little squad?"

"Yes, indeed, sir." Draco barely managed not to grimace over the title. "She got an easy transition back into the field, and we got a first-rate Lieutenant."

Her father remained impassive. "Seems like you got the better end of that deal."

"Undoubtedly."

Apparently satisfied, Mr. Weasley held up the cigar box. "Mighty fine cigars, here."

Draco smiled. "I'm glad you appreciate them."

With a chuckle, Mr. Weasley moved on into the kitchen to help his wife.

Once he was out of sight, Draco collapsed dramatically into Ginny's shoulder. "How many more are there?" he groaned. "I don't think my self-control can make it."

Daphne patted his back reassuringly. "Just focus on the mission. Visualize it when you'd rather be punching someone's face. It's how I got through finishing classes."

Blaise looked quizzically up at her. "They gave you missions? All we had were lousy dinner parties for our parents."

Fred and George barged in, not bothering to knock. Fred's arm draped around his wife, Hermione. One look at the occupants of the living room and all three stopped cold.

George squealed, "It's an invasion! Call the Ministry!"

"We are the Ministry," Ginny rolled her eyes. "Fred, George, Hermione, this is Draco, Blaise, and Daphne."

Fred and George turned to each other. "Have we ever met a Malfoy before, George?" Fred asked.

"Can't say we have," George replied. "Especially not one in a lower year, with a surly disposition--"

"Penchant for calling respectable witches foul names--"

"Who tried to make Harry's life living hell--"

"Got us banned from Quidditch--"

"And generally tried to hurt everyone we care about." George shrugged. "Doesn't ring a bell."

Stupidly, Ginny hadn't anticipated this. She had no idea how to salvage it--the twins had legitimate reasons to loathe Draco specifically, and she'd counted on their support.

Daphne stuck a hand out. "I'm Daphne, and I keep those two tossers in line."

George grabbed it with an elaborate bow. "Enchante, Mademoiselle," he replied, kissing the back of her hand. Blaise frowned instantly.

Hermione pulled Ginny aside. "What's going on? Why did you bring them," she indicated with a vague gesture, “here?”

She shrugged. "Nothing. I just wanted to invite my friends to the weekly dinners too."

"Your...friends?" the older girl asked with disgust.

"Yes, my friends," Ginny replied stubbornly. "They don't have to be yours, but you need to be alright with them being mine."

"Ginny, you know what they--" Hermione cut off, composing herself. "I can try."

Hermione's willingness touched Ginny's heart. She felt terrible for underestimating their friendship. "It would mean the world to me," Ginny replied softly. "They're not that bad, once you get past the meanness and general distaste for the world."

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "Gosh, you make them sound so appealing."

Fred and George managed to pry the incantations for Auror training curses out of Daphne, and were happily working on getting her to spill the counter-spells. All for legitimate business reasons, of course.

To Ginny's great surprise, Hermione made good on her word, marching straight up to Blaise. "I've heard good things about you, Auror Zabini, but haven't had the chance to talk in person."

He smiled charmingly. "If you've heard good things, it can't have been about me. And please, just call me Blaise."

Things going better than expected for the other two, Draco slumped over to Ginny. "Well aren't I just the guest of honor."

She chuckled softly at him. "I told you not to expect to be. They're ignoring you right now, which is the best you can hope for."

"I have achieved my life's goal," he announced to Ginny, "being utterly unremarkable. How extraordinary it feels to be like everyone else for once."

She punched him lightly in the shoulder. "I should cut that ego down to size for you."

He smirked. "You could try."

"The Eighth Wonder of the World: Draco Malfoy's Ego!" Ginny chuckled. "It really is amazingly large for a man who's accomplished so little."

Instantly, his good mood evaporated, looking pointedly away. Kicking herself for being so stupid, Ginny put a hand on his arm. "I'm really sorry, Draco. I shouldn't have said that."

He stuck his hands in his pockets, moving the arm so that her hand fell away. "Don't be."

Refusing to give up, she placed her hand back on his arm. Turning him slightly, she forced him to look at her. "I was referencing our earlier conversation, remember? Where your only accomplishment was integrating Slytherin Squad?"

"I remember," he replied tightly.

"You've done so much more than that. You fought through Auror Training on your own, everyone says you were a fantastic Lieutenant, and you're being a fantastic Captain. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

Some of the tension left him. "I know I'm a good Auror."

"You're a good friend, too, no matter how hard you try to hide it," she added, smiling softly. "To Blaise, to me, to all the others."

He gave a wry smile. "Darn you, Weaselette, you've found me out."

"I believe I have," she replied happily.

Their small bubble of happiness instantly shattered. "What the bloody hell is he doing here?!" Ron bellowed, storming up to Draco. All side conversation ceased before Ron’s violent explosion. "You have some nerve, showing up in my home--"

"Ronald Weasley!" Molly Weasley intervened, hands on hips and disapproving scowl at full power. "Don't you dare speak to a guest in that tone of voice!"

Draco stood stunned by the ferocity of his protector. Ginny gave him her best 'I told you so!' look.

"But Mum," Ron protested, "this is Malfoy--"

"And Draco Malfoy and his friends have been wonderful guests!" Molly glared fiercely at Ron. "I will not have my son be the example of poor behavior!" Demeanor instantly shifting, she smiled, raising a tray of sweets. "The treacle toffee just finished, would anyone care for a bite?"

Ron stalked off in a huff.

Blaise and Daphne looked at the Weasley matron with a newfound respect.

Practically glowing, Draco readily accepted the offered toffee. "You're too kind, Mrs. Weasley."

"Oh, you're such a dear!" she replied with a smile. "Don't mind Ron, he's just been a bit put out lately."

"Oh? Why is that?" Draco faked concern excellently.

Mrs. Weasley shook her head affectionately at her youngest son. "Another promising young witch just called it quits. Personally, I think he's still taking it a bit hard."

"Understandably," Draco replied, unable to repress the sarcasm. Ginny elbowed him. Just because her mum saw the best in people didn't mean she was thick.

Percy Weasley made sure to introduce himself to every Slytherin. "Percy Weasley, personal assistant to the Minister of Magic. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, it really is."

Blaise shook Percy's hand in all seriousness. "So this is the Percy that Shacklebolt keeps mentioning! It's a pleasure to finally meet the man."

Nearly bursting with pride, Percy positively glowed with self-importance for the rest of the night.

"You might have unleashed a monster," Ginny informed Blaise.

The Slytherin shrugged nonchalantly. "I thought you wanted your family to like us? I'm just doing as I'm told."

Daphne patted Blaise's back. "Don't worry, dear, he'll only request to be seated next to such important people at every family event now. I'll gladly give up my spot by your side so the two of you can network." Blaise looked like he would be sick.

"Every family event, Daphne?" Draco scowled. "Just how many of these were you expecting to go to?"

She held up her hands helplessly. "As many as it takes."

Ginny gave Draco a sideways look. "This coming from the man who would do, 'Anything if it helped the team,' " she said in perfect imitation of Draco's earlier quote.

He scowled. "I don't think this could be any worse."

Right on cue, Harry Potter walked through the door. He stopped in his tracks. "Malfoy," he greeted coldly.

Draco inclined his head. "Potter."

"And Blaise and Daphne!" Blaise added, legitimately put-out. "Everyone keeps forgetting!"

Harry turned to Ginny with a tight smile. "Ginny, I thought this was a time for friends and family."

"It is," she replied evenly. "I want my friends to meet my family."

"And they've been delightfully charming so far," Daphne intervened innocently. "I never knew those twins could be such entertaining conversationalists!"

Blaise scowled at her mention of them. "Only one of them is single, you know."

Harry walked off towards the rest of the family. Choruses of happy greetings followed him.

Mrs. Weasley happily wrapped him in a hug. "Luna couldn't make it?"

Harry shook his head. "One of the thestrals came down with a cold, so she has to stay with it."

"Too bad, too bad. She's such a delightful girl."

Ginny couldn't agree more. She had counted on Luna's level head to help with this dinner. It said something when the girl generally acknowledged as crazy was one of the sanest in your family.

Mrs. Weasley turned her happy smile on the rest of them. "Dinner is served!"

 

 

Before the meal, Ginny had pulled Hermione aside. “Hermione, I know this is a huge favor I’m asking, but can you help me with Draco?” Hermione raised her eyebrows at the odd request, but let Ginny finish. “He’s trying really hard to get along with everyone, but I know someone’s going to ambush him during the meal. He’s going to fight back if that happens, and…” She trailed off, letting the magnitude of the disaster sink in.

Hermione understood. “You’ll promise he won’t start something on his own?”

Ginny winced. “I can’t promise for him. He will try, though.”

“I guess I can take that.” The girl sighed. “I’ll do what I can.”

Ginny hugged her friend, feeling entirely undeserving. “You’re the best, Hermione.”

The seating had been carefully controlled by Ginny. She herself protected one end of the Slytherins, with Draco next to her, Daphne next to him, and Blaise after that. Percy happily took the seat next to Blaise, much to Daphne’s amusement.

Unfortunately, in her efforts to protect the team from ambush, a divide split right down the middle of the table. Harry, Hermione, Fred, George, and Ron took the other side, with Arthur and Molly on the ends. Ginny couldn’t help making the unfortunate association with battle lines. From the way Ron and Harry held their knives, it seemed they had as well.

Mrs. Weasley smiled broadly, willfully ignorant of the table tensions. “Well, don’t everyone dig in all at once!”

Silently, they dished food onto their plates.

"So George," Ginny said, attempting to breach the silence with one of the two people who didn’t work at the Ministry, "how's the new Hogsmeade shop going?"

“It’s going great!” her brother managed through eating. “Few kinks with angry Hogwarts professors protesting, but that should be sorted soon enough.”

“I can’t imagine why they’d protest a Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes going in within range of students,” Blaise drawled sarcastically.

Fred narrowed his eyes. “Zonko’s was there before. No one had a problem with that.”

The Slytherin nodded matter-of-factly. “But your stuff is much more potent. I know plenty of people who caused mischief with your Extendable Ears alone.” He smiled mischievously. “I may or may not have been one of them.”

Hermione giggled despite herself. “They’ve considered offering discounts to professors.”

George raised a finger importantly. “If Lupin doesn’t exploit it and bankrupt us.”

Draco choked on his butterbeer. “Lupin? Wasn’t he the werewolf?”

Nervous silence spread around the table. Gripping his knife tightly, Harry replied, “Yes, Malfoy. And the best bloody Defense teacher Hogwarts has ever had.”

“Language,” Molly Weasley protested.

Draco shrugged, trying to remain nonchalant. “I always thought Snape did a good job too, once Dumbledore finally let him have it.”

“Unfortunately, Potions Masters are rarer, so McGonagall gave him his old job back,” Ginny replied neutrally. She sensed the conversation veering closer to confrontational territory every second.

“Pity,” Ron added from the end. “I was overjoyed when that greasy git left. Took another git with him for good measure.” He stuffed a mouthful of food in. “And now we’ve got both of them back.”

Draco tensed next to Ginny.

“Ron,” Hermione tried to intercede. “That’s not very nice.”

Ron shrugged. “It’s not like he doesn’t deserve it. I thought we’ve known that for ages.” His eyes narrowed. “Seems like my sister’s forgotten, though.”

Ginny’s blood boiled. “I haven’t forgotten a thing, Ron. Sometimes people make bad decisions, and hopefully they’re good enough to recognize it later!”

“And some of them are two-faced bastards who will do anything to stay out of prison!” Ron snarled. “I’ll trust a Death-Eater as far as I can throw him.” With a pointed look at Draco, he added, “And the ones I know, I trust even less.”

“He’s an Auror, Ron!” Ginny fumed. “He’s put his neck on the line countless times trying to prove himself to people like you! People who still don’t get it, even when he stares down Death Eaters!”

“Why don’t you let Malfoy speak for himself, Ginny,” Harry said far too casually. “He’s been unusually quiet.”

Draco looked up at his old enemies, surprising apathy in his gaze. “I have made decisions that I will regret for the rest of my life. This is not news to me. I hoped to come here in an effort to move past them. I see now that I was in error.” He folded his napkin deliberately, setting it on the table. “Mrs. Weasley, thank you for dinner. The food was delicious.”

“You seriously thought one meal would erase everything you’ve done?” Harry asked, perplexed.

“It’s called a peace offering,” Daphne volunteered quietly.

Ginny smiled maliciously. “We didn’t think you’d come if we’d invited you to Malfoy Manor.”

“And we’d be right not to,” Ron added with a look towards Hermione. “Some of us have less than fond memories of the place.”

About to leave, Draco finally lost it. He leaned across the table to get in Ron’s face. “You’re right, Weasley,” he snarled viciously. “Some of us were imprisoned in our own home, while Voldemort built his stronghold in our name, desecrating every inch of our property. For years, stuck living in an endless hell of our own making. Stuck watching as Voldemort tortured my parents in front of me, with nowhere we could run to.” He flashed a tight, apologetic look to Hermione. “The lucky ones got away with only scars.” He raised his wand, about to Apparate away. “I’m sorry I even bothered.”

A strong, quiet voice came from the end of the table. “Sit down, son.” Draco turned, shocked that Mr. Weasley would address him as such. “Ron will excuse himself if need be,” Arthur continued calmly. “I see no reason why you should be attacked in my home.”

“But Dad,” Ron protested, “he’s--”

“No, Ron,” Mr. Weasley cut him off firmly. “I did not raise my sons to spit in the face of peace offerings.” He turned to Draco. “I won’t pretend to like you, but I think you’re doing the right thing, being an Auror. And I’m glad you feel welcome under my roof.” Mrs. Weasley nodded vigorously at her husband’s short speech.

Humbled, Draco sat down.

Mr. Weasley turned to Ginny, forcibly changing the topic. “Ginny, I hear you had some Death Eaters show up at your flat.”

Ginny nodded, still stunned by her father’s actions. “Draco said there were three of them.”

Harry raised his eyebrows. “Draco said? What, you weren’t there?”

“I was there.” Stuffing down her shame, she admitted, “I didn’t spot the Death Eaters until the curses started firing. And Draco Apparated me away right after that.”

“Why was Malfoy at your flat in the first place?” Harry asked.

Hermione stepped in. “He called me, when he suspected the danger. I gave him Ginny’s address and followed him over there. He found a deadly curse on her doorknob, and Death Eaters waiting behind her on the stairs. Malfoy did the sensible thing, and just Apparated Ginny out of danger.” She looked pointedly at Draco. “If he’d been a moment later, she’d likely be dead.”

“Or captured,” Blaise added softly.

The Weasley’s sat stunned.

“The article just said you weren’t home,” Ron gaped.

“She wasn’t.” Draco replied flatly. “I ensured it.”

Mrs. Weasley held a hand to her mouth. “Ronald Weasley,” she said, nearly through tears. “You apologize to Draco Malfoy this instant.”

Draco looked confused. “She’s my Lieutenant. I would have done the same for any on my squad.”

Ron looked as if the words might kill him, but willingly said them. “I’m sorry I said I couldn’t trust you. You saved my sister’s life, and that’s…” He trailed off, looking with pain at his sister. “That’s not something I take lightly.”

“How did you know about the attack in the first place?” Fred asked, worry creasing his forehead.

“Goyle warned me about the cursed doorknob,” Draco replied. “The whole team had them. As Ginny doesn’t have a Floo, I checked on her personally.”

“You’re getting a Floo installed!” Mrs. Weasley insisted, barely restraining her tears. “No excuses this time!”

“I know, Mum,” Ginny replied softly.

“Where are you staying now?” Hermione asked. “I mean, now that your flat’s been blown up.”

Ginny grimaced. She’d been dreading this question from the beginning, but knew it was inevitable. “I’m staying at an undisclosed location. There’s a good chance I’m still near the top of the Death Eater’s hit list.”

“Undisclosed location where?” Hermione pressed. “I can’t think of a place with strong enough wards, not if Death Eaters are after you.”

“I’m sorry,” Ginny held out, “but I really can’t tell you. I’m not the only one who’d be in danger if I did.”

“She’s staying at Malfoy Manor,” Draco said flatly.

“She’s what?!” the Weasley’s responded in near unison.

The Slytherin shrugged. “It might have been against my wishes, but we have wards placed by Voldemort himself. If they held out the Ministry, I guarantee they can hold out a few Death Eaters. Even if they fail, Blaise and Goyle are staying there, along with my mother and myself. All of us can handle ourselves quite nicely in a fight. So tell me what the flaw in my plan is.”

“You. You’re the flaw in your plan,” Ron responded, but without animosity.

“Ginny?” her father looked at her intently. “You’re alright with this?”

She nodded. “I can’t think of anywhere safer.”

"You could stay with Fred and me..." Hermione started, but trailed off as she realized Ginny was right. "You're absolutely positive you'll be fine there?"

"I'm not," Blaise responded before Ginny had a chance to. Every eye turned to him. "Draco's been known to eat little Gryffindor girls for supper every now and then. It's been a while since he had an incident, but..." He trailed off suggestively.

Draco rolled his eyes. "My friend has a strange sense of humor." Nervous chuckles followed around the table. Surprisingly, Blaise's direct lampshading of her family's fears did seem to calm them.

"Speaking of Slytherins," Daphne tried and failed to sound casual, "we have a proposal to run by you."

"Oh?" Harry asked, legitimately curious.

"We'd love to hunt Macnair--"

"Won't happen," Hermione cut her off. "Senior squads only."

Daphne's smile turned tight. "Which we know you won't let us do," she continued. "But we have a plan to track down the Notts."

Harry raised an eyebrow. "I'm listening."

"Nott Sr. and Macnair grew up together." Blaise looked intently at his two bosses. "We have reason to believe that Nott Sr. might be less cautious than Macnair at the moment, possibly even trusting towards his former teammates."

"Also, we know that the Notts have a penchant for hiding Death Eaters," Draco added. "Just because he hated Macnair is no reason to assume they wouldn't team up against a common enemy. As they did in the past, under Voldemort."

Ginny remained silent, as planned. The squad needed to sell themselves as capable. Being seen as riding on Ginny's coattails would only hamper them.

Hermione frowned. "Who did they hide before?"

"Rowle," Draco responded. "I know he was found in their summer home in France, under an assumed name."

"What Ministry resources would you require?" Hermione asked.

"None that I know of at the moment," Draco responded honestly. "It might change when we get more information."

Hermione turned to Harry. "I have no problem with it. Do you?"

Harry shook his head. "If you don't need any other squads, knock yourselves out."

The four members of Slytherin Squad positively beamed.

"Thank you," Draco replied seriously. "We won't disappoint."

Harry shrugged. "It'd be hard to, at this point."

Author notes: Let me know what you thought! :)

Leave a Review