Bring him Saturday,” she’d said. Not a question, not a request. An order. Annoyed, Ginny pushed the knife down with more force than necessary as she chopped tomatoes for the breakfast she was making. They were back at Draco’s to change and eat before going back to Blaise and Luna’s and help out with watching the twins. Ginny had sent her dad an owl to let him know she wouldn’t be in to work that day. She could have floo called but in case her mother had already told him of who she was seeing she wasn’t sure she wanted to see his gently enquiring eyes. Hear him tentatively ask if she wanted to talk. He wouldn’t actually say anything, like her mum was sure to do, but he’d wonder and she didn’t think she could face it after a sleepless night and a long day to come.

 

 

“Do they deserve it?”

 

“Pardon?” Draco had spoken from the doorway and she paused her ministrations to glance at him. His hair was still damp from the shower and the clean masculine scent of his soap trailed in the air. He ambled in and nodded towards the mushed tomatoes on the cutting board.

 

“Did they misbehave?”

 

“Not really. They’re substitutes for my family’s heads.”

 

“Ouch. What did they do then?”

 

“Nothing. Well, it’s not what, it’s how.” Wiping her hands on the tea towel she turned away from the counter to face him. “My mum wants you to come to dinner on Saturday.”

 

He stuffed his hands in his pockets and leaned against the kitchen island counter opposite. The cramped space somehow underlined how a distance suddenly opened between them like a bottomless ravine. Knowing there were treacherous edges around this issue in particular and not wishing to stumble and fall, Ginny braced herself for backing away.

 

“And you don’t want me to?” She saw the tension in his shoulders and reached out, laying a hand on his arm.

 

“That’s not it. I do want you to get to know them. I just...it’s just how she did it. Ordered me like I’d done something wrong. It’s like she’s already made up her mind its going to be a disaster and she wants to prove it to me.” Biting her lip to keep from letting her temper get the best of her she wondered what her mum thought she knew. What exactly did she think she knew just because she’d hated Narcissa and Lucius at school? Was Draco just an extension of his parents, not his own person? Had she asked her mum that questions in general, “do you think the child should be blamed for the sins of his parents”, Molly would have delivered a loud, blistering no. But not when it came to the Malfoys. Then all fancy sentiments were forgotten in favor of prejudice and past hurts.

 

“Well, I’ll just have to go and prove them wrong, won’t I?” He drew his hands from his pockets and put his hand on top of hers on his arm. “Do you doubt my charm?”

 

“Not at all,” she laughed. “It’s my family I doubt. They might just refuse to see you’re different now. They won’t wait to see you before making up their minds and its so...so unfair!” Unable to hold back the anger any longer she felt it rise within and she pushed her hair out of her eyes. “They know nothing of you now, nothing and they’re going to sit on their high horses and judge. And it’s just wrong!”

 

“Hey, hey, hey. Ginny, listen to me,” He stepped closer and cupped her chin. “I’m not going to lie and say I look forward to this or that it’ll all be fine. There’s too much history between us for that. What I will say is that we will just have to get used to dealing with this kind of thing if we’re going to be together. Your family is always going to be your family and I will always be me.” He grimaced and stroked his thumb over her cheek. “Your family has a right to worry about you and I will go and I will do my best to convince them there’s no need to. I want to make this as easy as I can for you.”

 

Wasn’t that exactly what had been missing before? Such a simple thing. I want to make it easier for you.

 

“I hope you can keep that zen attitude under my family’s assault on Saturday.”

 

“Well, it certainly will take every ounce of my willpower not to refer to your house as a hovel and your brothers as red-haired brood.” His lips twitched and she smiled in return. The insults that once stung so bitterly now seemed childish and feeble.

 

“Just prepare yourself for the worst.”

 

“Don’t worry, I’ve had practice for that.”

 

“Don’t you get tired of it? I haven’t even explained to anyone once and I’m already sick of it. You shouldn’t have to defend yourself any longer.”

 

“I learned a long time ago it hurts more to wish things were different, Ginny. They are how they are now.”

 

“I can’t help it. People should just learn to forget.”

 

“I wouldn’t want to forget. Every choice I’ve made, good and bad, have led here.” He tilted his head and let his gaze slide down her frame. “And here is pretty good.”

 

Picking up on his signal he didn’t want to talk about it anymore, Ginny opted for humor to ease the tension.

 

“Well, if you’d chosen to be less of a prat at school you may have had “here” much sooner.”

 

“As if I’d-wait, what?”

 

“What, what?” she asked innocently and leaned her elbow on the counter.

 

“You…” She never thought she’d see him look embarrassed but he tips of his ears had gone pink and it had to be the cutest thing she’d ever seen. “You thought I...at school, you thought…”

 

“I thought you were probably the most gorgeous guy in school. Shame about your poor attitude.” She arched a brow and he seemed to regain some posture.

 

“Well, if I d known you thought that you wouldn’t have been safe from me for a moment.”

 

His tone chased a tingle up her spine.

 

“You…you wanted me back at school?” She shouldn’t be so surprised. After all if he found her attractive now he probably would have at school as well but even the thought that his younger self had thought about her that way made her heart slam against her ribcage.

 

“I wanted you so badly I hated myself for it.”

 

A wave of heat swept through her as she had a moment of weakened knees.

 

“Where’s Score?”

 

“He took the twins back.”

 

The second he finished the sentence Ginny grabbed his shirt and hauled him close, pressing her lips to his. With a groan he pulled her closer and wrapped his arms around her waist. Desire curled in her stomach like heated wires, twisting and tightening and rushing to snap the ties she buried her hands in his hair. Seeming to understand her hurry he lifted her up, easily setting her down on the counter. Pulling at her sweater she lifted her arms to ease it off. With a sigh as the cool morning air in the kitchen woke goose bumps on her skin she pulled her hair tie free and her heavy locks tumbled free. With a look of an almost awed disbelief he ran his hands through it, touching it as if it were spun gold.

 

“Another choice to add to my regrets.”

 

“No. We’re here now. That’s what means something. And I’m not going anywhere.”

 

“Good. Because I wouldn’t let you go again.” He bent to capture her lips again and Ginny felt the world float away.

 

o.O.o

 

Seeing Reena “read” to Draco from a book she obviously knew by heart, Ginny smiled. He was just so good with them. You could tell from the adoring looks he received that both twins loved him, and what was more, enjoyed his company. He had a wonderful way of not talking down to them as most adults would, but instead brought himself closer to their level. Not that he used baby talk or pretended to be less intelligent. He just…matched them.

 

“Now you’re pretty.” Lucy stepped back from where she had been putting glittery butterfly clips in Ginny’s hair. Holding up the blurry plastic mirror that came with the pink set of combs, clips and even a plastic non-functional hairdryer Ginny could tell her hair was in wild disarray, knotted and put up in something that closely resembled getting your hair caught in a paper shredder.

 

“It looks great. Thanks, Lu.”

 

Nodding in approval Lucy bounced in excitement.

 

“It’s pretty. Isn’t she pretty, uncle Draco?”

 

Draco looked up from the book where Reena was pointing at the picture, solemnly telling him the chicken was getting sued for libel by the duck. It sounded as if Blaise had taken some creative liberties with his reading of “The Chicken That Had No Friends”. Having already heard it twice Ginny knew the chicken in the end reached a mutually beneficial settlement with the duck due to ingenious and last minute use of the amended regulations of the 2002 Agricultural Act, thought of by his brilliant lawyer, the goose.

 

To his credit Draco’s lips didn’t twitch as he smiled warmly.

 

“She is. Your hair looks great. Your hairdresser is a genius.”

 

Patting it coquettishly Ginny replied,

 

“Thank you. Do you think I should wear it like this when we go out next time?”

 

“Most definitely. In fact, you’ve never looked better.” He leaned in and kissed her and Ginny heard Lucy sigh in delight as Reena snorted in disgust and turned the page in the book.

 

“It’s true. You look fantastic, Gin.”

 

Pulling apart Ginny looked up to see Neville and another man in the doorway of the living room. Sitting on the floor of the play corner in the living room she was again struck by how tall and wide the boy she had known had gotten. And he was still slighter than the man next to him. Vague memories of Oliver Wood swam into her mind. He had changed a fair bit since his school days as well.

 

But it could only be him. He was tall, at least a head taller than Neville which had to make him even taller than Draco and broader over the shoulders. He had a thick thatch of deep brown hair that pulled towards auburn and a pair of laughing brown eyes. His features were not classically handsome, they were a bit too heavy and knotted but he looked extremely charming and he had something appealingly trustworthy about him. Wearing a loose sport shirt and jeans Ginny could see he was muscular in the way of someone who did little else but exercise and he had large hands and feet. All in all he should have looked imposing with the muscles and sheer size but instead he looked like a mix of a boxer and pre-school teacher.

 

“Neville!” The twins jumped in delight, Lucy making a beeline for Oliver who hoisted her high.

 

“Hiya, gorgeous.”

 

With an incredibly female certainty she would be welcome Lucy cuddled close, her eyes wide and adoring. Reena on the other hand opted for greeting Neville first, her smile radiant as she looked up at him.

 

“Did you bring it? Do you have it? Can I see it?”

 

Chuckling, Neville pulled a small book from his jacket pocket.

 

“Here you go. Don’t tell your mother.”

 

Giving his leg a hug Reena rushed off to open the book.

 

“Are you giving the kid books from the Restricted Section again?” Draco joked and got to his feet. Following suit, Ginny stood as well.

 

“No, it’s just a book from the Hogwarts library. The kid was devastated she wouldn’t get to read the books there for another seven years. If Luna finds out I took a book from the library off school premises I’ll never hear the end of it.”

 

“You’re braver than I if you risk the wrath of Madame Pince,” Ginny shook her head. Neville grinned.

 

“I couldn’t help it. That girl’s got me wrapped around her little finger. Anyway, you remember Ginny, Ollie? Ron’s sister.”

 

“I do.” He shifted Lucy in his arms to shake her hand. “It’s nice to see you. And your hair looks amazing.”

 

“Thanks, Oliver. It’s good to see you too.”

 

“I can do your hair, if you like?” Lucy piped up and Ginny waited to hear the big masculine sports star tell her no. But Oliver surprised her.

 

“No? Really? Will it look as great as Ginny’s?” Lucy nodded solemnly and he set her down. “All right, then let’s do it.” Winking at her Ollie went to sit on the floor in the spot she’d abandoned, clips and combs spread in a circle around him.

 

“Well, we’re here to take over for you. You must be exhausted after tonight,” Neville said as he shook his head at Oliver in amusement.

 

“Thanks, Nev. Did you get a chance to inspect the new addition?”

 

“We did, we went up before crashing your party here. He’s cute. Then again he’s got some impressive genes to choose from.”

 

“Don’t tell Blaise that, he’s already bursting with self-satisfaction.”

 

“I think he might already know. He does own a mirror.”

 

“Too many. But he’ll have nothing on your boyfriend once Luce is done with him.”

 

Neville laughed.

 

“True. I better go make sure she adds some glitter. He has a photoshoot for The Quidditch Quarterly later.” Ambling over to where his boyfriend was now getting his hair combed into a zigzagged parting with a small pink plastic comb he sat down on the floor as well.

“So Luce, I hear you have a little brother now.”

 

“Ready to go and get some sleep?” Draco asked and took her hand.

 

“Am I ever. Let’s go.” They waved and left, Lucy’s voice trailing behind them as she told Neville her brother was pretty useless as he only screamed and slept and couldn’t even talk yet. He also resembled Mr Podkins, the old man from next door and she was sure he was actually not a person but a large raisin.

 

 

o.O.o

 

 

Sitting on the couch with Draco standing behind her to get the myriad of butterfly clips out of her hair, slowly untangling the mess Lucy had managed to make of it Ginny felt the almost dreamlike state of being overly tired settling into her bones.

 

“Would you ever do it again?” His voice was soft and she tried to get her tired mind to cooperate.

 

“Do what?”

 

“Have another child?” His hands were warm and gentle as he pulled another clip from her hair. Taking a sip from the whisky they were having to celebrate a job well done, she felt it warm her throat. Though it was two o’clock in the afternoon she had only had four hours of sleep in the last thirty-six so it felt well deserved.

 

“Having just experienced another birth up close I can’t say I relish the prospect of that part but, yes. One day I would like to have more children.” She’d just never thought it possible before now. “What about you?”

 

“Yes, I always wanted more than one.”

 

“And maybe there’s something to be said for having the baby at home.”

 

“What?” His voice slid high with incredulity before he caught her tone.

 

“You’re cruel, Weasley. Be kind, I don’t know how much more my heart can take today.”

 

“It was beautiful though.”

 

“It was. Man, I can’t believe I’m an uncle again.”

 

“Xander Draco William Zabini Lovegood. I like it. Do you know why they chose Alexander?”r32;She sighed in contention as a particularly knotted strand was let down.

 

“It’s Blaise’s dad’s name. The only man his mum ever loved out of her hundreds of husbands.”r32;

 

“Hundreds?”

 

“Well, many. And Xander for short I think is for Luna’s dad.”

 

“And Draco for you.”

 

“Yes, poor kid.”

 

“You don’t like Draco?”r32;She’d always liked it. Her brother had laughed at it but she’d suspected head always been a little envious of the mystery and glamour of a constellation name.

 

“It’s all right. It’s no Ginevra.”

 

“Funny.”

 

“I thought so.”

 

“If you’re not a fan of that type of name, why Scorpius?”

 

“Daphne picked. She was a fan of the constellation thing, it’s a pureblood tradition. Her sister had one, and her parents but not her. And Score was born in November so it was obvious to her.”

 

“So she gave him something.”

 

“That’s how I feel about it. At least he’ll always have that from her. There, I think that’s the last one.” Leaving the little pile of butterfly clips and their drinks they headed up to bed together as the sun streamed in through the windows.

 

 

o.O.o

 

 

Back at work the next day Ginny should have been tired but she felt exhilarated and energized. She felt as if she’d been brought even closer to Draco in the last two days and was more certain than ever she had made the right decision in choosing him. Toying with the idea of calling him to see if he was free for lunch the door suddenly crashed open to reveal a red-faced Ron.

 

“What the hell is this?” He held up a crumpled copy of the Daily Prophet.

 

“I believe that’s called a newspaper, Ronald. They come out every day to inform people of current events.”

 

“Don’t be ridiculous. What the hell is with this? Is it true?” He slammed the paper down on her desk and the bold headline “A Tryst Between Known Death Eater and Wife of The Boy Who Lived Twice in Secret Hideaway ” glared up at her. Scanning the text Ginny snorted. The finish of “at least our Mrs. Potter has the decency to only flaunt her seedy romance on the muggle side. It prompts us, dear readers, to wonder if she is at least ashamed of having switched tastes for choosing paramours?” The byline spelled Rita Skeeter.

 

“Vicious woman.”

 

So it’s true? I can see now why you wouldn’t tell us! You’re ashamed of him!”

 

 

“I am not! Draco is the best man I know and I didn’t tell you about him because I was ashamed of what you would say to him!”

 

“Ginny, he’s evil! He was on r11; the r11; Dark r11; side!”

 

 

“He was just a boy! He was not evil, he was trying to keep his family and himself alive in an impossible situation!”

 

 

“Harry would have-“

 

 

“Don’t you dare, Ronald Weasley! Don’t you dare tell me what Harry would do. Where is he right now, for example? Don’t you think he should be the one barging into my office shaking a crumpled newspaper in my face if he feels so strongly about this?”

 

 

“Harry’s r11; he’s, he’s a hero. A r11;“

 

 

“Harry is the grand savior, The Boy Who Lived Twice, the bloody messiah of a nation. I’m well aware, but where is he when his family needs him, hmm? When you need him? Do you see him anywhere?”

 

 

“He is saving lives! He’s a hero!” Ron spluttered.

 


“He is a hero, Ron. But he is no husband. Not even really a father. I will not give up my life because Harry believes he should. That he has to.”

 

 

“You’re being completely irrational. You’re not thinking straight. I…I ought to-“

 

 

“Ought to what? Lock me up? Throw away the key? Punish me for leaving Harry until I go back to him?”

 

 

“Maybe! I don’t know! Why him, Ginny? How can you do this to Harry? To our parents?”

 

 

“Why is it always my fault, Ron? Why is he always the injured party? He was fine with us leaving and if he ever remembers to miss me then I’m glad because then I’ll know he at least cared. What we had was not “us” anymore and we couldn’t make each other happy. I tried, Merlin knows, I tried so hard to be there for him, waiting for him to let me in. But I am done! Done being the shadow of someone else, of getting overlooked and ignored until I’m needed. Then I’m meant to spring to the rescue, hold his hand and stroke his hair, but I still won’t be let behind his shield. Do you know what that feels like? To be looking in from the outside and know you can help but he won’t let you? What I want is a partner, someone who will be there for me when I need it too. Who takes my calls when I want to talk, who holds me when I’m upset, who stands by me and who listens. And that, Ron, is not Harry.”

 

 

Having lowered her voice again she stepped closer to Ron and apprehensively he stepped back. His eyes flickered uncertainly and Ginny noted gleefully he was looking for an escape. He had been on the receiving end of her spells before.

 

 

“That person just happens to be Draco Malfoy. He has done nothing but support me since I met him again. The very first time we spoke he listened to me longer than Harry had in years. He didn’t brush off my concerns as unimportant or make me feel ashamed I’m not strong enough to keep it all inside. Isn’t it sad it took that support from a stranger to realize I had no reason to feel guilty about my failed marriage? Stronger support than I had gotten from my own family and that on the first day I met him. So you disapprove and rage all you want, Ronald, try and lock me up for all I care r11; in fact, I dare you. Because I am in with love Draco and nothing r11; nothing r11; you throw at me will change my mind.”

 

 

Seeming too enraged for words Ron turned on his heel and stalked out of the room.

 

 

Sinking down on her chair, Ginny tried to will her heartbeat to slow down. This was just a taste of what was to come on Saturday, just one out of seven brothers. Groaning she reached for her phone, she’d definitely need that lunch with Draco now.

 

 

o.O.o

 

 

“Mum?” Knowing she’d timed her visit to catch her mother before various other members of the family were likely to drop in she was still pleased to find Molly baking, alone in the kitchen. There were few things that put her mum in a better mood than baking.

 

“Ginny? How nice with company. Will you be a dear and boil the kettle?”

 

Waving her wand to send the kettle whistling she gathered cups and the rosehip tea her mum favored. Leaving it to steep she sat at the table. Pulling her chair slightly out of reach from the flour dusting the air when her mum vigorously kneaded the dough she took a moment to gather her thoughts, slowly drawing patterns in the flour gathered on the surface of the table. Her mum said nothing, her head contentedly bobbing in time with her efforts. The radio was quietly humming in the background, too low to be anything but mumbled company. Sunshine washed through the spotless windows and warmed the air and set glints of ginger sparkling in her mum’s deeper shade of red hair.

 

It woke hundreds of similar memories. Of the precious moments she had had alone with her mum, her brothers keeping out of the kitchen until there were biscuits to be sneaked off a hot tray. But Ginny had always loved those moments of quiet, of companionship in the cozy kitchen. So she gathered her courage and looked up.

 

“Mum, can we talk about Draco?”

 

Her mum’s kneading paused for a moment, before she picked up again.

 

“I’m seeing him on Saturday, sweetheart, we’ll talk then.”

 

“No.”

 

Her mother looked up at her tone and tilted her head, her hands already seeking her hips and Ginny continued,

 

“I’m not bringing him here Saturday until someone’s heard his side. My side.”

 

“Why?”

 


“Because…Well, you know he and Harry, Ron and Hermione weren’t exactly friends at school?”

 

“I think Ron mentioned something.”

 

Ginny rolled her eyes (discreetly so her mum wouldn’t see). Mentioned, her butt. More likely he had yelled bloody murder and thrown accusations around, mixed with a few choice expletives. Her mum went back to kneading.

 

“So the thing is…It’s a bit worse than that. They hated each other. And granted, Harry had reason. Draco was obnoxious.”

 

Surprised, Molly looked up, a strand of red hair, the shade still only slightly duller than Ginny’s own falling over her forehead.

 

“You thought I didn’t know? That I forgot? Mum, I went to school with him, I know he was a little prat.”

 

Nodding and brushing the strand off, managing to leave a smudge of flour on her cheek, Molly gave her a considering look.

 

“All right, dear. I’ll listen to what you have to say.”

 

“Thanks, mum.” Drawing a deep breath she hoped Draco would forgive her for sharing the story of his childhood.

 

By the time she left she felt worse than she had thought she would. Her mum had reacted as she had predicted, her heart softening for the boy he had been. All she had told her was the truth. What she knew. But as she’d known what her mum’s response would be it was as if she was…using his struggle. He had fought so hard to be who he was now and she had turned it into a condensed parlor tale to defend herself. It had been to make it easier from him on Saturday, but it still made her feel dirty. But she would need someone on her side. Their side, on Saturday. Her run-in with Ron had just been the beginning. She couldn’t imagine what Fred would say to the man who had almost, accidentally, killed his wife. And what he said, George would say. Bill and Charlie could go either way. On the one hand they hadn’t experienced Draco Malfoy’s petty insults at school but they’d also not seen him suffer under the control of Voldemort. They might think he had actually been an actual Death Eater. Percy was bound to sit on his high horse as usual and condemn. Ginny sighed. It had been the only way. The only one who could keep all her brothers in line would be her mum.

 

Author notes: Just setting the stage, next one is the Weasleys! Thanks to all who read and reviewed and as always, big thanks to the page staff who are always really helpful!

Leave a Review