Butterfly Kisses
by tigereyes320



Disclaimer: All Harry Potter characters belong to JK Rowling. And the various Presses that release it. Doesn’t in any way shape or form belong to me





A/N 1 Thanks again to beta PhoenixRae. These two characters have ALWAYS been my favorite. This is an out-take from my fic The Dragon Prince and the Flame Princess. This is when Draco gives Allison away at her wedding and the memories leading up to it. I also have to thank echo for Absolutely Spiffing without which I would never have had my story to base on.







Draco looked intently at the young man seated in front of him. The young man was valiantly trying not to sweat.



“Rod, you wanted to speak with me?” Draco asked, adding an edge to his voice.



“Yes sir, I do.”



Draco had to admire the man’s fortitude.



“As you know sir, Ally and I have been dating for well over a year. I know I don’t have to tell you this, but you daughter is incredible.”



“You’re right, you don’t.”



"I know this is a bit old fashioned, but Ally has always told me how romantic she thought it was that you went to Mrs. Malfoy’s family to ask their blessing to marry their daughter. So, that’s why I’m here. I’d like to ask for your daughter’s hand in marriage.”



Draco just sat there speechless. This child actually thought he was good enough for his baby girl, his Ally. “What happens if I don’t? Give my blessing that is.”



“With all due respect sir, I love your daughter and she loves me. I’m asking her to marry me no matter what you say.”



Draco had always liked Oliver and Penelope Wood’s only son. He and Ally had played many a Quidditch game while at Hogwarts. The fact that both of them had gone on to play Quidditch professionally spoke well of them. He also knew Allison adored the man. Draco nodded slowly, “You have my blessing.”



“Really?”



“Yes. Allison loves you, and I can see how much you love her. You’ll be a welcome addition to the family.”



“Thank you sir.”



There's two things I know for sure
She was sent here from Heaven,
and she's daddy's little girl.
As I drop to my knees by her bed at night,
she talks to Jesus, and I close my eyes
And I thank God for all the joy in my life,
But most of all for....



Ginny walked in to her husband’s study. Draco was staring at two pictures the one of him and Ally at his and Ginny’s wedding. Ally was standing on his feet while they danced together. The other picture he held was of Ally, Draco and Nick, Ally’s twin, at their first Quidditch match.



“Are you okay, darling?”



“He wants to marry our baby girl, Ginny. Allison is getting married.”



“She’s twenty two years old. Ally and Nick both moved out two years ago. You knew this was going to happen.”



“I’m not ready to lose her. I’m not ready to admit to being that old.”



“Draco we just celebrated our twentieth anniversary. We’ve been together for longer than that. We are in the process of raising eight children. Besides, if you’re old, exactly what am I?



“You are exquisite.’ Draco wasn’t wrong. Neither he, nor Ginny was really showing their age. There wasn’t a single gray hair in Ginny’s flaming red hair. While her figure had matured slightly due to eight children, she was still in excellent shape. She certainly kept him distracted. “Where are the rest of the children?”



“Draco… now I know you’ve gone barmy. Roni’s the only one not at Hogwarts, and she’s spending the day with your mother.”



“How do you think she’s been doing?”



“She misses seeing your father everyday. Lavender is in charge of his treatment. She and Neville are doing everything they can to get him back home as soon as possible.”



Lucius, Draco’s father, had suffered from a debilitating stroke. There had been a few days that they were sure he wouldn’t survive. He was now at St. Mungo’s slowly regaining his strength. Fortunately, Lavender Longbottom was the best medi-witch around, and Neville’s work in Herbology was unparalleled. They had brought him further in three months, then others that had suffered similar strokes, had been brought in three years. Draco, Ginny and the children made a point to visit him once a week. Shannon had wanted to come home more often but Draco had put his foot down, she was Head Girl and had responsibilities. Her grandfather would not want her to shirk them. He had been so proud when she was named Head Girl. Of course in all fairness, he had been equally proud of Ally and Nick, when they broke Hogwarts tradition, by becoming the first people to ever tie for Head Girl and Head Boy with their cousins Annie and Harry. All four were tied in their scores. As such Dumbledore made an unprecedented move. He announced there would be two Head Girls and Boys.



“I guess we’d better see what Allison wants in the way of an engagement party. Are we still throwing Shannon her graduation ball?”



“Yep--she doesn’t suspect a thing. Are you going to be able to handle this, Draco?”



“Of course I can handle it.”



Butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer
Sticking little white flowers all up in her hair.
"Walk beside the pony, daddy, it's my first ride".
I know the cake looks funny, daddy, but I sure tried".
Oh, with all that I've done wrong,
I must have done something right
To deserve a hug every morning
And butterfly kisses at night"



Draco raised his glass of champagne high as he stood up. “I guess I don’t have to tell anyone here how much my daughter means to me. The first time I found her baking cookies for a friend instead of me, I knew this day would be coming. I don’t think any father is ever ready to let their daughter go. My father-in-law only had one, so granted, that wasn’t any easier.” Draco paused as he took Ginny’s hand in his and leaned down to place a kiss on it. “There’ll be three more after this I’ll still have to give away. But the last three better not be planning anything, anytime soon.”



“Give me another five years, Daddy!” Marissa called out.



“Not if I have anything to say about it, Marissa.” Draco retorted. ”As I was saying… letting go was something I always knew I wouldn’t want to do. It’s one of the few things I have in common with my brother-in-law, Ron. Ginny, my beautiful wife of twenty years, told me once that we have to trust our children. Trust them to take what we have taught them, and go with it into the world and live a full life. So I guess this is my moment to trust. Trust in my daughter, that her mother and I have been good examples to her. I also need to trust that Roderick--who I know has learned from his parents--will love and care for my daughter for the rest of their lives together. Allison, only when you have a child of your own will you realize the way they can encompass your heart. To Roderick and Allison, then,” Draco said as he raised his champagne glass.



“To Roderick and Allison,” said the room as they raised their own glasses.



As Draco sat down, he saw Allison stand up and raise her own glass. She took a few minutes to compose herself. “I’m not crying. Malfoys do not cry. It’s a rule, right grandfather?”



Lucius nodded his head. He was there on Allison’s insistence. He had made a huge leap in his recovery when he found she was engaged. Nothing was going to keep him from his eldest grandchild’s wedding or the wedding rehearsal. Considering it was now August and the wedding was in a week.



“I have always had the incredible fortune to be well loved by everyone in my life from the moment I came into this world--granted I had to share all that love with my twin brother Nick. I--no we, had the life most people dream of. I’ve had the best examples showing me how to do everything. My grandfather, Lucius, taught me that when you make a mistake you have to pay for it. He almost paid the ultimate price, but in learning, he taught me that there is always a chance to make a wrong, right--even if you still have to pay the price. My grandmother Narcissa--in vain I’m afraid--has tried to teach me to be an aristocratic lady. I’ve never been very good at looking down my nose at others. I do know how to pour out a good cup of tea, though. But she has always been there for me, and I love her dearly. My other grandparents, Molly and Arthur Weasley, whose home I lived in for the first two years of my life. They showed me that love could fill the smallest of houses and with that overflow, anything could be done, including raising seven children on very little money, and giving them the best start in life. Each and every one of my uncles know what they have in you, and know that I know, too. I can only hope that my children look at me, the way all of yours look at you. Now, Grams, don’t cry, you’ll only get me started,” Allison said smiling, as tears rolled freely down her cheeks.



“Now I come to my parents, Draco and Virginia Malfoy. They weren’t supposed to work, it was an act that they both fell for. My father, I’m told, was quite the little git in school. Trust me, my Uncles have many stories. My mother was the overprotected youngest child. They each made a decision, they came to a fork in their respective lives and took the one less traveled. Because of it, I and my brothers and sisters are here today. I’ve never doubted my parents’ love for me. I couldn’t possibly, they showed it to me in every way. When my mother thought she’d be raising two children all alone, she would tell Nick and I stories about Daddy. The good and the bad, she wanted us to know he wasn’t perfect.



“Then just in time for Christmas, I got my Daddy. He came back to us. I remember dancing with him at his and Mum’s wedding. Him putting me on my first broom, eating the first dinner I ever cooked. Daddy telling I was still going to be his little princess, when Shannon came along. You have shown me what I want most out of my life and that was a man who loved me, like I saw you loving Mum. The way you still hold hands, how you kiss her temple when you hug her. The way Mum always brings you a cup of tea when you have a head cold. The way you still look at each other like you’ve just met. I love you two so much. I want to take this moment to thank you for everything. Your support, your trust, and most importantly… your love. I love you and thank you for making my life what it was, and the opportunity for what will be. To my parents,” she said, raising her glass.



“To Draco and Ginny,” Ron agreed, also raising his glass.



“To Draco and Ginny.”



Draco hugged the now sobbing Ginny close to him, raised his glass and whispered, “to you my Flame Princess.”



Ginny smiled through the tears, “to you my Dragon Prince.”




Sweet sixteen today,
She's looking like her momma a little more each day
One part woman, the other part girl,
To perfume and make-up
from ribbons and curls
Trying her wings out in a great big world.
But I remember.....


Draco watched his daughter as she floated in Roderick’s arms. He remembered teaching her how to dance. From the first time he danced with her at his and Ginny’s wedding, to the Christmas holidays of her second year, when she asked her parents to teach her and Nick how to really dance.



He remembered her hair in a braid flying about as he twirled her around. She had always looked so much like Ginny, right down to the big brown eyes and the fastest wand Hogwarts had seen since her mother. Even Nick had a hard time besting his sister in duel. Ally caught his eye and winked as she went past him again. She gave a jerk of her head, which Draco took to mean she wanted to see him and her mother dancing, too. Draco went in search of his wife, who was sitting next to her brother Ron and Hermione.



Butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer
Sticking little white flowers all up in her hair.
"You know how much I love you, daddy,
But if you don't mind
I'm only going to kiss you on the cheek this time"
Oh, with all that I've done wrong,
I must have done something right
To deserve a hug every morning
And butterfly kisses at night"




Draco held Ginny close as they danced to a nice slow song. “Happy, Flame?



“I always have been with you, Dragon. I can’t believe she’s not our baby anymore. I thought for sure that you would be the one upset.”



“Who says I’m not. No one is good enough for our girl. Though Rod certainly adores her. I’ve never seen her so happy as he makes her, the ruddy git.”



“Draco.”



“I’m only saying it to you. A father’s entitles to think a few nasty thoughts about the man who’s going to take his baby girl away. I’m sure if you ask your father he still the thinks the same of me.”



“You’re right, he probably does,” she said smiling. “I’m glad your Dad is feeling better and could be here for this.”



“Me too. I don’t think he’ll be here for the rest.”



“Did the medi-witches say something to you? Is this maybe too much for him?”



“No Gin, he doesn’t want moddly coddling. They just said that his past isn’t making it easy on him; being a dark wizard wasn’t all about power. But he’s bound and determined to stick around as long as possible. He wants to meet his first great grandchild. After that, I don’t know. He’s set aside money for all of them just in case.”



“He’s a stubborn Malfoy… if anyone can survive by sheer will--it’s him. He’ll be with us for awhile yet. I just feel it. On a lighter note do you see who Marissa is dancing with?”



“Is that one of Flint’s boys?”



“Yes I believe it’s Cameron. She has a bit of a crush on him.”



“Ginny, she’s only fifteen!”



“And he’s seventeen. He’s the captain of the quidditch team and she’s a hell of a seeker. Draco let them be, and oh my… look at that.”



Draco whipped his head around. “Look at what?”



“Look who your eldest son is dancing with?”



“Isn’t that--”



“Yes it is.”



“I thought they had broken up because of well--everything.”



“Maybe they decided to make up.”



“Who would have thought a Malfoy and a Potter.”



“Lily is lovely and you know it. Besides how about a Malfoy and a Weasley? You know people said we would never last.”



“Your brother being one of them.”



“Which brother would that be again? Actually for your information, Ron--even though you might never be considered friends--was the one that insisted in being the one to tell me when you disappeared. He was also the first person of my family I told about being pregnant. He said he was glad that I’d have the best part of you. Of course, he also said that all the nasty Slytherin parts of you would be would be tempered by all the Weasleyness.”



“That ruddy—”



“Oh hush! One day you two are probably going to be friends.”



“Not bloody likely.”





All the precious time
Like the wind, the years go by
Precious butterfly,
spread your wings and fly,



“Hey Malfoy, let’s trade. I want to dance with my sister.”



“Weasley, you know there are proper ways to cut in. Ms. Granger, may I have the pleasure of this dance?”



“That’s Mrs. Weasley to you, git.”



Hermione’s lips twitched at the sight of these two handsome grown man bickering like eleven year olds. “Honestly, we’ve known each other for almost thirty years. Isn’t it time for you two to stop bickering?”



Ron and Draco looked each other up and down and as one voice said, “No!”



Hermione looked at Ginny. “And they say that can’t agree on anything.” Hermione let Draco take her hand and lead her into a slow waltz. “How are you doing?”



“I’m fine.”



When Hermione arched an eyebrow at him as he shook his head. “ I can’t believe she’s getting married. My little girl. Wasn’t it just yesterday that we put them on the train to Hogwarts?”



“I know my oldest two are just six months younger than yours. Of course you know Molly is ecstatic with the idea of more grandbabies to play with.”



“I know.”



“Well at least with us having children still at Hogwarts, we’ll be young grandparents.”



“Which one of yours do you think is about to do this?”



“I think it’s Harry and Annie both. They both have been seeing their significant others for a couple of years now. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see Ron and I doing this in about six months. I don’t know if I’m ready to let them go either.”



"Who would have thought?"


"Clever as I was and still am if you had told me in fifth or sixth year that Draco Malfoy would be godfather to any of my children--let alone my youngest two. I would have put them in the same class as Trelawney."


"How is our Tommy?"


"Thomas is fine. He's as obsessed with Quidditch as his father and sister are. He's bound and determined to make his house team when he goes to Hogwarts."


"I hear our Christy is quite the Chaser."


"That she is. I can't believe how much she's like Ron. I can't even complain about it because she gets excellent marks. I wish she'd apply for some harder classes, but she is one of the top students in her year. You know Ron has already had two professional teams try to recruit her and she's only fourteen."


"It terrifies you."


"Don't get me wrong, she's a Weasley--it's in her blood to play. If playing professionally is what she wants, I'm not going to stand in her way. But then I think back to Katie's accident and how close we came to losing her…"


"It's not that easy to kill a Weasley. Besides, if I know my niece and goddaughter, she knows what she's about. Look at her mother. She'll let them fight it out and leave Hogwarts with the sweetest contract ever given. How about Ginny and I have Thomas come over, so he and Veronica can get some practice in on our pitch. We'll invite Magnolia, too. Ginny will love having a picnic with you guys. I still can't believe you named him Thomas."


"It was my grandfather’s name as well, as Molly's younger brother's name. I remember the look on your face when I told you, you'd be Christy's godfather. Ron insisted on you to be Tommy's."


"I don't think I'd ever seen him so terrified, not even when you were petrified. The look on his face when they came and told him there were complications… I don't know how, or even if he could have handled it if you hadn't survived. He fell apart… my only thought was to get him away from the other children and let him talk."


"Being married to Ginny all these years has mellowed you, Malfoy. Ron said you helped him through it. You know that Ginny and I will get you three to admit to liking each other one of these days. I know, I know it's mortifying a Gryffindor and a Slytherin getting along. You two are forty one years old, it's time to let it go. But, thank you for helping him through it."


"If anything happened to you he'd be lost. He'd exist long enough, by marking down the days, to see the children of age and then slip away to you."


"What makes you say that?"


"Because that is exactly what I would do if anything happened to Ginny."


"Who would have guessed Draco Malfoy is a softie."


"I am not!"


"Don't worry your secret is safe with me and your wife."



Meanwhile . . .


"C'mon on sis, let's show that husband of yours that we Weasleys know how to dance."


"Ron, I swear the two of you are impossible."


"We like it that way."


"Ron go easy on him. This week is going to be hard on him."


"I know it is. I never would have thought Draco could care about anything as much as he does about you and your children. Besides, I have to be nice."


"Why, Hermione threatened to hex you?"


"No, it’s just that I'll be where he is, probably very soon."


"What? Who? Annie or Harry?"


"Both, I think. Harry wants me to go to Diagon Alley with him. He wants my opinion on something."


"And Annie?"


"Jaime owled me. He wants to come over and speak with me and Hermione. She's just a baby."


"You know that is exactly what Draco said about Ally."


"How did we get so old Gin… our kids are getting married."


"It just feels that way. We're lucky Ron. We still have our whole family. Mum and dad are still going strong and they can't wait for their great grandbabies."


"I had an idea. How about all of us pitch in and send Mum and Dad on holiday. Some place nice and warm and full of Muggles."


"That sounds like a excellent plan."



She'll change her name today
She'll make a promise
And I'll give her away
Standing in the bride room just staring at her
She asked me what I'm thinking,
and I said "I'm not sure,
I just feel like I'm losing my baby girl".



Never had seven days flew by so quickly.


Draco could hear Ally and Ginny through the door. He took a deep breath, and knocked on the door. "Is it okay for the father of the bride to enter?"


"Yeah Daddy, I'm just about ready."


Draco opened the door and stepped into the bride's ready room. Ally was standing in front the three sided mirror, smoothing down her dress and trying to stand still as Ginny pinned her veil in place with tiny white flowers. Ally had wanted to wear Ginny's veil, which was now a soft ivory lace. Catching her father’s eye in the mirror Ally turned to him, "Doesn't my wedding dress look pretty, Daddy?"


Draco took in her strapless ivory gown, with her mother's veil in her hair and felt his heart constrict. As of this moment, she was no longer his little girl. "You're beautiful. You look as beautiful as your mother did the day we got married."




Then she looked over...and gave me...
Butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer
Sticking little white flowers all up in her hair.
"Walk me down the aisle, daddy, it's just about time.
Does my wedding gown look pretty, daddy?
Daddy, don't cry"



Ginny leaned over and kissed Ally's cheek. "I'll let you and your Dad have a few minutes. I'll see you out there, you look beautiful."


"Thanks Mum."


Ginny gave Draco's arm a squeeze as she passed by him.


"This is it Daddy. I'm all grown up, I'm not your little girl anymore."


"You'll always be my little girl." Draco said with the slightest hitch in his voice.


"Daddy please don't be sad. I'm getting my own fairytale. One that I'll get to tell my children about."


"I know that Ally. A part of me has dreaded this day. I knew it would eventually come. Ever since you first wrote home and told us you thought some git was cute."


"You know I love you Daddy. You and mum have done so much for me." Ally came up and hugged him.


"My Ally. I've loved you from the moment I first saw you. Even when I didn't know you were mine. I thought, that little girl looks like Ginny, and I hope I can have one just like her."


"I know."


"So are we ready?"


"I don't know. Maybe I should be asking you if you are, ready that is?"


"No, but it's time for me to let you go. He'd better realize what he's getting and take very good care of you."


"He knows Daddy, and if he doesn't, I’ll just remember all the hexes you've taught me over the years." Ally wiped her tears as she heard the music begin. "I guess it's time."


"Yes it is. Let's go before your mother thinks I've done something bad."


"I'm always going to love you, Daddy."


"Good… I really needed to hear that," Draco said, as he took her hand and tucked it into the crook of his arm and led her out the door, toward a future away from him.




With all that I've done wrong,
I must have done something right,
To deserve her love every morning and
butterfly kisses at night.




After the ceremony the reception was in full swing. Ally was taking turns dancing with Lucius and Arthur.


A hand clamped on his shoulder, "You did good Malfoy," Harry said as he came and sat down beside Draco, Ron followed suit.


"So was it hard to give her away?" Ron asked.


"Who says I have? I'm a Malfoy--we don't give up anything."


"Did you ever see us doing this Draco? Being happy? Watching one of our kids get married?"


"No I thought I would be married to whoever my father chose for me, have the requisite male Malfoy heir and be miserable."


"You know I think mine are next?" Ron stated glumly.


"I know Annie and Jaime have been together for how long now?" Draco asked as he saw Ally head toward the DJ with a request.


"Almost five years, I was hoping she'd grow out of it."


"I heard the Grangers hoped for the same with you and Hermione. Who's Harry been seeing, the younger one?"


"Melissa Flint, if you can believe it. Thank the Gods the kids got Flint’s nose and Pansy's teeth. Another Slytherin in the family."



“Flint could be a bit scary at times.”



“Well she has a good head on her shoulders. She and Harry work together in the Ministry.”



“Hi Uncle Ron, Uncle Harry.”



Ron rose to kiss her cheek. “Hullo Ally, you made a beautiful bride. You tell that husband of hers if he doesn’t treat you right, he has more to worry about than the Malfoys.”



“I’ll be sure to tell him, Uncle Ron. You and Uncle Harry have both saved me a dance right?”



“Of course we have Ally,” answered Harry.



“Wonderful. Now if you two don’t mind, I’m gonna steal Daddy for our dance.”



“Okay, find us when it’s our turn,” called Ron as Ally took Draco away. “This is killing him. I never thought I’d see the day I felt so bad for him.” He said as he turned to Harry.



“I know what you mean. Take heart Ron, maybe he’ll be able to help us get through it when it’s our turn. Lily and Nick are back together.”



“Is it serious this time?”



“She wanted commitment this time and told him not to come back until he was ready to give it to her. They were having breakfast in her flat two days ago when I flooed in.”



“And he lives?”



“What can I do Ron, she’s twenty years old. She knows what she wants and she wants him.”



“Think it’ll be any easier for us than Malfoy?”



“Nope. It’s why I didn’t have the heart to mess with him today.”



I couldn't ask God for more,
man, this is what love is
I know I've got to let her go,
but I'll always remember....
Butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer
Sticking little white flowers all up in her hair.



Draco danced with Ally to her favorite Muggle song. “Butterfly Kisses” by Bob Carlisle.



“I’m glad Grandfather was up to this. It wouldn’t have been the same without him here.”



“He wouldn’t have missed it. He would have risen from the dead to be here for you. He wanted to get you something extra special for your wedding gift.”



“He didn’t go overboard, did he?”



We managed to reign him in from buying the small town he was planning on buying. Your mother and I talked with Oliver and Penelope, as well as your Weasley grandparents. We decided to get you one big gift from all of us.”



“What is it?”



“We got you a house.”



“You what? Daddy, it’s too much…”



“We don’t feel it is. Your Mum found a house in a nice area that was a bit rundown. She remembered that Roderick liked fixing things up. So we agreed that we would buy the house, Oliver and Penelope are giving you most of the furnishings and your Weasley grandparents are helping you with other things around the house.”



“Daddy. . .”



“Allison, we love you and it was the easiest way to reign in your grandfather. You come from money, a lot of it. You can’t change that. You and your siblings have always been wise when it comes to money. I hate to admit this, but you get most of that from your mother’s side of the family. Ally, the stroke showed your grandfather that there was a very real possibility that he wasn’t going to be there to see you get married and start a family. You are the eldest Malfoy grandchild and while Nick is considered the heir, you mean just as much to him, and he wanted to know that you would have a good home. I know you and Rod are still in the middle of your seasons but when you’re ready to settle down and start a family, your home will be waiting for you.”



“Rod and I discussed it already; I’m gonna take a leave of absence and try to have a baby. We want to have our kids when we’re still young; that way when they are at Hogwarts, we’ll still be able to enjoy ourselves. I also have a job that I can do from already lined up.”



“What is it?”



“Grandfather has asked me to write his memoirs. The good and the bad. It’ll probably take me a couple years to get everything organized to write them.”



“You’ll do a fine job.”



“Daddy, don’t worry. I’m gonna be fine. I’m a Malfoy and a Weasley. I know how to fight for what is mine. I know it’s not always gonna be easy, but if I can have just a little of you and Mum have, my life will be perfect.”



“I do love you Allison. I can’t believe how often I’ve said that in the last two weeks.”



“I’ve never doubted it, even when you haven’t always said it. I love you too, Daddy. Here comes Rod with Mum. Ready to trade off?”



“Yes I’m ready.”



Rod and Draco in a flurry of arms quickly exchanged dance partners. They then danced to opposite sides of the room.



“I told her about the gift. She was surprised and pleased.”



“Draco, you will always be ‘Daddy’.”



“I know, but I’m no longer going to be first and that’s how it is supposed to be.”



“You’ll always be first with me… I love you Draco.”



“I thank God for you, and I love you, too.”



With all that I've done wrong,
I must have done something right,
To deserve her love every morning
and butterfly kisses at night.



The End
The End.
Tigereyes320 is the author of 2 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 6 members. Members who liked Butterfly Kisses also liked 1088 other stories.
Leave a Review