A.N: Not mine. *sigh*. All JKR’s. Though the song, “One Day I’ll Fly Away,” belongs to Will Jennings and Joe Sample.

Fly Away

~~~~~

“Ginny?” Harry’s voice asked as he poked his head into her tiny office.

She groaned internally. He’d hurt her plenty when she’d been rejected at the end of Hogwarts when he decided he like Hannah Abbott better. And she’d moved on, gotten over it, already burned that picture. “Yes, Harry?”

“I was wondering if you wanted to have dinner with me this Friday?” he said confidently. He was sure she’d say yes. Well she wasn’t going to. What the hell would possess her to put herself through that again? It was just a little crush and it had done its crushing.

“I’m sorry, I’m busy,” she then pointedly looked down at the next form and began the report on Mr. Kettleby’s spell that had turned himself black rather than his old rusting cauldron.

But Harry was going to be persistent today. “How about Saturday then?”

Ginny just shook her head.

“That’s odd. It’s almost as if you don’t want to come spend time with one of your oldest friends....No, that can’t be right. If you’re busy this weekend, I suppose I can squeeze you in on Thursday.”

Resting the extremely strong urge to get up and strangle him, she sweetly replied, “Alright then. Thursday it is.” Anything to get the arrogant bastard to shut up.

With a smile, Harry left the office and went back to his important Minister jobs, which usually consisted of publicity events due to his status as the Boy-Who-Lived-and-Will-Protect-Us-All-When-Voldemort-Decides-to-Attack-Us-Again. Right, like he was spending all that time signing pictures thinking about the best way to turn the bastard into a puddle of goo. If you asked Ginny, upon Lockhart finally being declared permanently insane, Harry had decided the former winner of Witch Weekly’s Most Charming Smile Award needed a replacement.

“I follow the night
Can’t stand the light
When will I begin
To live again?”


Harry had really started to get bloody annoying. He seemed to think that because she was single, and it happened to be convenient for him, she wanted to date him. That was a no. He always made her feel inferior, as though she was lucky just to be near him. But she didn’t want anyone like that. If she was going to spend her time with someone, it would damn well be someone who made her feel something other than ‘please let me leave now.’ Someone that made her blood boil, a person who actually made her feel. She hadn’t really done that in a long while.

And she had an idea that she wouldn’t for a long time to come.

“One day I’ll fly away
Leave all this to yesterday
What more could your love do for me?
When will love be through with me?”


But she was thinking more and more that it could never happen for her. Even if ‘the one’ was out there somewhere, was it really worth all of this trouble? Hell, if she claimed herself a celibate, then no one could mooch money off of her or bother her when she didn’t want to be bothered. They would just leave her alone.

She allowed her head to fall on the desk, but promptly picked it back up again and rubbed the small bump it had created. Apparently self-mutilation didn’t help her current delightful mood very much.

Maybe it was all just pointless.

“Why live life from dream to dream?
And dread the day when dreaming ends.”


~~~~~

A.N: I know, this is a really short chapter. But it’s where it decided to end. I will hopefully be following it shortly with a small bit from Harry’s point of view. Because he’s really not trying to be the asshole that Ginny thinks he is at the moment. I promise.
Leave a Review