A.N: This chapter’s song is “Because We Can” from Zidler’s Rap; it belongs to Norman Cook and was originally performed by Fatboy Slim.

Because You Can

~~~~~

“Cause you can can can!”

Harry was in a particularly good mood today. He’d just ended it with his recent girlfriend of two years, Emma. Which probably should have made him a little more depressed, but he wasn’t. The new sense of freedom was overpowering the sadness. Made him feel lighter.

In his newly found confidence, he felt like doing something he hadn’t done in a while. And that happened to be visiting with a certain younger Weasley that he liked so much. Sure, he’d seen her at Ministry events, but not much more than that. He missed her. Just as a friend, mind, he didn’t feel that way about her, but he still missed her.

Later that day, he leaned his head into her office. Just for a chat. “Ginny?”

She seemed to be stressed. There was a slight frown on her face, and a large amount of unfinished paperwork strewed across her desk. After a moment, she replied, “Yes, Harry?”

“I was wondering if you wanted to have dinner with me this Friday?” he asked. He’d only come to talk to her for a minute or two, but she looked like she needed to get out, go somewhere fun, and get completely pissed. She needed to loosen up. And, as her boss, let alone her friend, he was going to take this opportunity to help her out. Because otherwise, he suspected one of his favorite employees would be sleeping at her desk rather than writing on it from the stress.

“I’m sorry, I’m busy,” she answered tersely. Wow, she was going to need more drinks than he thought....

“How about Saturday then?”

She didn’t even bother replying to that one; all she did was shake her head.

Harry was beginning to feel the need to loosen his tie just from the stuffy air her office created. It was as though she hadn’t heard a joke or laughed properly or even had PEOPLE in this room in a long while...he took it upon himself to remedy that with an attempt at humor. “That’s odd. It’s almost as if you don’t want to come spend time with one of your oldest friends...No, that can’t be right. If you’re busy this weekend, I suppose I can squeeze you in on Thursday.”

It worked. Sort of. She accepted, but with reluctance. Almost as though what he said was true...perhaps she didn’t want to spend any time with him. They had grown apart in the year after he’d left Hogwarts, but he didn’t think it was that much.

He smiled anyways in a last attempt to cheer her up. But the indifferent facial expression she’d adopted by the end of the conversation remained intact. Once he was sure she’d turned her attention back to her desk, he took a last glance at her. He’d really forgotten how pretty she was....But that would come another day. Right now, all he wanted was her friendship again.

“Because you can can can!”

~~~~~

A.N: This is really more of a second part to the last chapter; that’s why it’s so short. Homework permitting, there shall be more this weekend....
To Be Continued.
smokeline is the author of 10 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked Ecole de Sorcier also liked 214 other stories.
Leave a Review