Ask Her if She Wants to Stay Awhile


What was Ron trying to get at, eh? That everyone still thinks that I'm madly in love with Harry Potter? Gah! I just want someone to get ME, and not the President of the Harry Potter fanclub! How pathetic do they think I am?! After six years, I'm still stalking Harry?! No sir! I've moved on to bigger and better things!

Someone coughed in the background making Ginny jump. She turned to see Draco Malfoy sitting across from her, one eyebrow raised. "Weasley, I don't want to get in the middle of your huff, but this is my compartment, and I would prefer to be alone."

"Well Malfoy, it is actually not your compartment, and I am free to stay here as long as I want!" she stated indignantly, sitting up a little straighter, but still had an annoyed look in her eyes.

"Suit yourself. I just wanted to warn you. I am, after all, Draco Malfoy. Big, bad Slytherins like me shouldn't be the kind of company that you, an innocent, young Gryffindor, should keep," he said, turning back to the window.

Ginny took this time to really notice him. Malfoy had become... well even more gorgeous over the summer, if that was possible. He no longer slicked his hair back, so it fell forward nicely into his eyes. Every now and then, he'd run his hand through it to try to keep it back. His hard features had softened somewhat. Ginny wondered if it was because he wasn't constantly sneering at something.

His eyes... oh his eyes! I've always loved them! So different from anything I've ever seen. So guarded, so mysterious... so enchanting! Did I just describe a Malfoy as enchanting?! Oi! What is this world coming to?! But he is gorgeous... there's no denying that... Ginny! Get a hold of yourself!

Yes Ginny, get a hold of yourself. After all, he is going to be my right-hand man once he turns seventeen this year. He'll be just as evil as his father! You don't want that. I know you dream about ridding the world of evil, so why be attracted to the evil you're trying to abolish? Go with Potter if you absolutely have to choose. Draco Malfoy is not for an 'innocent, young Gryffindor.'

What do you know? You're the only evil I'm trying to get rid of!

Ginny! I'm hurt! You want to get rid of me? After all I have done? You should be ashamed! I gave you a friend when the world was coming to an end. I helped you come up with that silly little rhyme for Potter on Valentine's Day, and you never thanked me! I'm still waiting for that one.

He didn't like it. That's why I never thanked you. You ruined me, Tom, and now I'm tainted forever. What thanks do you deserve, really?


***

"Do you ever ask yourself, why me?"

They had now been riding together for half an hour and this was the only sound that had been made.

"All the time, Weasley. Everyday when I wake-up and every night before I fall into a dreamless sleep," Draco answered.

"You don't dream?" Ginny inquired.

"No Weasley. I take a potion to take them away. I find that I get more rest. Anymore questions?" Draco was not telling her that by taking the potion, he no longer had nightmares and that was why he got more rest. But she was a Weasley. What did she know about dark circles under the eyes?

"No, I was just wondering if it had anything to do with that 'C' on your wrist. If you couldn't sleep because someone or something was haunting you in your dreams," Ginny said, fully aware she was treading on dangerous grounds.

"Why are you still here, Weasel?! Isn't it obvious that I'm dangerous to be around?! Don't you think that my wrist has been scarred for the Dark Lord, marking me as the 'Cream of the Crop' so that I can become his right-hand man?" Draco gritted out between his teeth, angry with her observation.

"I'm not scared of you, Malfoy. I've been around a lot worse than you, believe me. You are the least of my worries," she stated simply.

This shocked him. He was so use to everyone running scared. No one ever stuck around, and no one ever should. What did she know? There was no one more hurt or dangerous than him. He was in an extreme situation, and one wrong move could kill him.

However, he sighed in defeat. "It is for the Dark Lord's reference. Should I choose not to follow him, he knows that he can't torture me with Crucio. It's been done to me so many times that the 'C' embedded itself into my skin. If someone were to use it on me, I would only feel a pinch." Draco said, index finger tracing the scar.

"Why would you ever refuse to join Voldermort?" Draco was shocked that she'd said the name without a single stutter, but yet again, he was being judged by the reputation set up by his father.

"Why join? Would you? I find the whole concept absolutely pointless. Firstly, Malfoys bow down to no one, and second why be bound to a cause you don't believe in? All my life-" Draco stopped. He'd never uttered his thoughts about joining the ranks to anyone. Why start now, especially to a Weasley? "Never mind. I wouldn't expect you to understand. You only know the views of your precious Potter and the rest of your clan. You've never been hurt before, and wouldn't know the taste of blood even if someone hit you across the face." Draco turned again to face the window, but he wasn't finished. "You and everyone you know sees me as Draco Malfoy, the feared son of the most faithful servant to Voldermort. You see me as a spoiled prat who runs to his daddy every time something’s wrong. You see me as a weakling who always gets the best and has never had to lift a finger in his whole life. You dare to call me arrogant, and maybe it's true, but you never asked for an explanation. You just except that that's who I am, but I'd like to see you spend a day in my shoes, live my life, and maybe you'd think differently," he finished. That was more than enough.

"You call me arrogant? You're the one who just looks at me and thinks 'Brainless Weasley who will never have anything better than second-hand. She's so innocent and has never had to hurt her entire life.' You know nothing, Malfoy, and maybe for both of us, that's the best thing possible. But next time you think that, go ask your father what happened to Tom Riddle's diary in your second year. I'm sure he can give you an explanation that will change your mind!" Ginny told him.

"That was you?! You were the one with- I...oh Merlin, Ginny, I... wish that things would've been different for you. No one should've had to go through that. And if he, Riddle I mean, still speaks to you, block him out. I know it's difficult, but he'll drive you mad eventually. He'll turn you against everyone. Believe nothing he tells you. Remember, he only wants to regain human form." Draco was now looking at her with fury, concern, and shame mixed in his eyes.

Ginny was shocked. Of course, he was Draco Malfoy, and probably had never apologized to anyone in his whole life, but she was so used to everyone telling her how sorry they were for her, and how they wished there was something they could do. It was always the same "know we're always here for you and that we care” response. She was so sick of it, and to hear him say that he wished things were different, it showed that he knew how to deal with immense pain and he was also sick of the standard response. What was even greater was that he gave her what was probably the greatest advice she'd ever received.

"Thanks Malfoy," she said, offering him a smile.

"Yeah, well don't go spreading around that I can be a nice guy. It could ruin my reputation," he smirked.

"But I thought that that was what you wanted to get rid of...your slimy git impression," Ginny said, a little confused.

"I do, but not here, not now. Maybe someday, but not today," he said cryptically.

She knew she shouldn't push him further, so for the rest of the train ride, the rode in a companionable silence.

My beta hasn't been answering her email, so if there are mistakes...please forgive!
Leave a Review