Doesn’t Matter Anymore


“Draco, I trust that you will not reveal this information I am about to dispense to you.” Lucius Malfoy’s voice filled his head.

A twelve-year-old Draco sat in his father’s study, eager that he was going to get in on something top secret. “I won’t tell father. I don’t want to disappoint you,” he replied, wanting to impress his hero.

“Very good, son. This year, the Dark Lord is coming back, but not as you would think. It’s more like his memory. A young girl is going to help us with the assignment.”

“Who?” Draco asked, a little scared.

“Who isn’t important for you to know. I don’t trust you enough. You’re young, yet. Maybe when you’re older,” Lucius said, standing up. He went over to the bookshelf. Draco sneered. He hated being treated like a little kid when it was obvious he wasn’t.

His father set a ratty book in front of him. “Open it, Draco,” he commanded.

Draco drew the cover back. Tom Marvolo Riddle. Hmm…wonder who he is. His father then handed him a quill.

“Write in it,” Lucius barked.

My name is Draco Malfoy, and I find the whole diary concept frustrating. Who would write emotions down on paper for someone to read?

Hello, Mr. Malfoy. The diary concept, itself, is frustrating, and not of any use, but what you can do with it! That is where the real magic is.

Yeah, what can you do?

You can overpower someone weaker than yourself. You can make them believe things that no one else would find rational. You can take away everything they care for, and turn them against it all. All you have to do is find the right words.

You don’t need a diary for that.

When you’re nearly dead, Draco, you do.

So what was it that you did, Tom.

I lived, and then was betrayed thousands of times. Now, I have no idea where I am exactly. Never put yourself out there to be hurt, Malfoy. There’s so much that people can do to you if you do.

I’ve heard this all before, Mr. Riddle. My father tells me these things everyday.

Smart father you’ve got yourself there.

He likes to think so, but even now, I’m starting to disagree.

You will not end up well, then.

Wellness is what you make it. If you call my father well, than you are crazy.

You have some wit.

Does that make me the smart one, now?

Not in this life. I assure you, if anyone goes against me, they will end up dead.

That’s hilarious! But you need to remember, Tom, you are just a book.

But there’s so much I can do from inside these pages. You just wait.



He’d been in the Headmaster’s office before, and it was his favorite room. He loved seeing the weird objects. It reminded him of Knockturn Alley, without the foreboding atmosphere. He now had to disagree, however. This was the worst thing that could possibly happen. Snape was threatening him with the Dementor’s Kiss, and even if he got out of that, he would either be sent to Azkaban or worse… Malfoy Manor. Hogwarts was his home. Why did people think he’d screw it all up?

“I believe you, Mr. Malfoy, owe me an explanation,” the Headmaster brought him back to reality. He no longer wanted to think about the diary.

"No to be disrespectful, sir, but I owe you nothing."

"And how do you figure that? Mr. Weasley saw you in the Gryffindor common room, and Hermione Granger calls out to you in her sleep. How do you explain all this when I've got muggle parents wanting to know what happened to the young man you murdered?" Dumbledore had risen to his feet.

"I didn't do anything! Don't you understand? I'm innocent!" Draco, too, had risen.

"You see, this is what I was hoping for, Mr. Malfoy. Unfortunately, a good outcome to this is very unlikely. There is no one who can vouch for you, as Professor Snape has informed me that you were alone last night," Dumbledore sat down again, and stared hard at Draco.

"There was no one with me last night, sir," Draco sighed in defeat, and sat down, as well.

"He's lying, Headmaster. I was with him all last night. I know I shouldn't have been, and I know it was very wrong. But maybe, since I can save his life, it wasn't so wrong." Ginny was standing in the corner near the door. Draco could tell she'd sprinted the whole way, and she looked extremely beautiful at that moment. Her cheeks were slightly flushed, her lips a deep rouge from the cold, and her hair all messy from her run. She was his angel.

Ginny couldn't believe her timing. She got to call Draco Malfoy a liar! Plus, she got to save him.

Dumbledore looked at one oblivious teen to the next, and chuckled merrily. He'd known something was wrong with Mr. Weasley's story, and it turned out that the youngest member of the clan was going to rescue the son of her family's worst enemy.

Just like those muggle soap operas, he thought, and his eyes lit up. This is going to get exciting!

Please review. I know its short, but a longer one is on its way!
Leave a Review