I Know Where You Hide


"Are you sure you want to do this? You sure that he really confessed? I mean, of course you're sure, but we can turn back now. You don't have to do this," Draco told Ginny outside of the Potion's classroom a week after the charges were dropped. She had gone to Dumbledore and told him everything about Riddle. He advised her to take Occlumency with Professor Snape. Draco was to escort her to and from these midnight lessons. Ginny hated that she had to be watched all the time, but she was glad it wasn't Ron or Harry. They'd been acting so weird lately. Hermione eventually woke-up, and when she did, they went straight to the library. They'd had their noses stuck in the books so long trying to figure out who impersonated Draco that they didn't notice that Ginny was hanging around the real Draco.

"You say I don't have to, but really, I do. I can't have him in my mind. I can't let him endanger the ones I love," Ginny answered. Mainly Potter, Draco thought jealously.

"Fine, but just know that I'll be here," he said reassuringly.

"I know, and that's always very helpful, Draco." And with that, Ginny walked into the Potions class.

***

He wanted to go her. Every time Snape would cast his wand at her and shout "Legilimens," he wanted to pick her up. It was obviously tiring her out. Every time the spell was cast, she fell to the floor, and it took all his self-control not to beg the professor to stop. He's only trying to help. She needs to get rid of him, and she needs to feel the weakness. That way, Riddle won't want to feed off her. He won't get anywhere trying to find strength in the weak. Draco tried to reassure himself, but everytime she fell, he'd have to do it all over again. It should be Potter here with her. He'd be better at this. He knows what she's going through, and I'm just the stuck-up Malfoy, who will never give a damn. Draco cursed himself as he watched Ginny fall for the last time. He knew he couldn't take it any longer.

"Professor! I think that's enough for one night. She won't be able to walk tomorrow as it is!" Draco interrupted.

Snape, who was sweaty already, nodded shortly. "I'll expect you to practice, Miss Weasley," was all he could muster.

"Yes, sir," Ginny said, slowly rising to her feet. She walked towards Draco, but her legs couldn't stabilize her long enough, so she fell predictably into his arms. Draco caught her, of course, with his seeker reflexes.

"Woah, Gin! You alright?" he questioned with what she noted to be actual concern.

"Yes, Draco, I'm fine." She tried to convince him but he wasn't fooled. She straightened her shoulders, and actually looked as though she were fine. To the untrained eye, she would have pulled it off, but Draco had spent his whole life being trained to look for the weakness in others. As she sauntered out into the hall, he saw her limp. He nodded in acknowledement to Snape, and followed he out. They walked for a few moments, until he saw blood dotting on her lips, which he had been watching very intently. She had been biting her bottom lip to silence the painful cries, but it was only worsening it. She stumbled, and cried out as the air stung the wound. He couldn't stand it anymore. With one swift movement, he swept her up into his arms new-bride style, and carried her light weight down the hall.

"Draco! What are you doing?!" she shouted, wrapping her arms around his neck for support.

"What does is feel like? I'm carrying you to Gryffindor Tower so you don't injure yourself further," Draco stated simply.

"I'm fine! I can walk myself!" she insisted.

"You know, you're almost as stubborn as me! But you also know, I'm not stupid. I know you hurt, and by the way you're acting, you twisted something." Draco predicted.

"Fine! You win!" Ginny retorted, irritably,

"I always do," he said, putting her down softly on the dungeons floor.

"Now, what're you doing?"

"Healing you." Draco took out his wand, and by the light of the torch, whispered the incantation.

Ginny felt her ankle stretch and flex tightly. It hurt for a second, but then felt as though she had just worked out for an hour. It was perfect, better than perfect, actually.

"Thanks, Draco," she said, gratefully.

"Anytime."

***

Harry didn't know what to think. Ginny was always off with Malfoy, and he hated it. Ginny was supposed to be his! They hadn't made it official, but she knew how much he loved her. No one could ever love her as much as he did. The ferret boy needed to keep his distance.

"Malfoy!" Harry called to him outside of Herbology.

"What can I do for you, Potty?" he smirked.

"Easy. Stay away from Ginny. Simple, right? She is, after all, just a Weasley, so therefore couldn't hold your attention for very long."

"This where you and I differ, Potter. Some might call you a noble hero, but I see past it all. You're just jealous that she doesn't want to be with you, but even if she did, I wouldn't dictate her every move. It'll crush her spirit, and I won't do what he did to her. And no, she's not just a Weasley. She's much better than any imitation Ginny you have stowed away in your head, Potter. She's perfect, and you, Boy Who Lived To Be An Unbelievable Prat, want power over something so pure. But here at this school, I am the Head Boy, and you take orders from me. Don't turn that around." With that, he stalked away. Did I just calls Ginny perfect?

***

Over the course of the next few days, Ginny noticed that Draco was more distant. Snape had assigned Harry to take over her Occlumency lessons, on the vague explanation that Draco had urgent Head Boy duties. Ginny felt a pang of jealousy at the thought of Draco spending late nights with Hermione coming up with safer rules and regulations. The late nights also meant that Draco had less time in the day for her. She felt more alone with Harry than anyone else. She was constantly having to wrack her mind to think up conversation topics, equivalent to that of the morning's weather.

"Oh, Ginny," she tried to walk to her first class faster as Colin's footsteps caught up. "Wait up! Where are you up to in such a hurry? Sheesh, I've been looking for you everywhere! I haven't seen you all year, and I've missed you!"

Isn't he pathetic, Gin?

You think every guy interested in me is pathetic, Tom, when in reality, it's you who is the pathetic one.

Oh, but Ginny you are so wrong. I'm not in reality. I only exist in your mind... for the moment...


"Oi, Ginny," Colin said, waving his hand in front of her face. "Are you there?"

"Yes, Colin, I'm fine. I just have to go find-" Ginny wasn't sure who she should find at the moment, but her feet knew the path to take. "Bye Colin, I'll see you around sometime!" she called over her shoulder as her legs led her to the library.

Upon entrance, she saw Harry and Ron sitting at a table, talking with their heads very close together. Her gaze didn't stick there very long, for they searched for the white blond head all around. She couldn't see him, but her heart knew he was in there. She walked in and searched through the aisles. It was then she heard a giggling girl voice and her eyes followed her ears to the sight in the far corner of the library.

There, in the mist of books was the young man Ginny had been searching for, sitting very close to one Hermione Granger. She marched over to them, and realized that while Hermione was looking very pleased, Draco looked as though her wished he could summon himself some ruby slippers, and find his way home. She caught his gaze, and his enchanting eyes light up.

"Ginny!" he exclaimed, rising to his feet. He looked so tired. She just wanted to hold him forever, but she had to remember why she was there.

"I have to talk to you about my Occlumency. I don't think-"

"Ginny, can't you see that we're busy here? We have to think up rules to keep Hogwarts safe. And besides, Draco isn't your guardian for those lessons anymore. Harry is located over there," Hermione voiced with obvious irritation. Ginny swelled at the look in her eyes. She was obviously maintaining feelings for her Slytherin Prince! When did Hermione become such a Parkinson? Does Draco feel the same way?

"Shove it, Granger," Draco snapped, and Ginny had to bite back a smile. "It's obvious that Potter is busy trying to save the world, and you're the one thinking up all these ridiculous rules anyway. I've done nothing, and Ginny needs my help, so I will see you... whenever I feel like it," Draco ended, trying to sound tough. He followed Ginny out of the library, and then led her to his room.

***

"Did I interrupt something?" Ginny asked, hoping to get the answer she wanted.

Draco gave her the biggest glare he could muster while trying to start a roaring fire. "Interrupt something? Why yes, actually. You interrupted Granger ranting on and on about why wearing wool socks would keep our feet warmer, so inevitably, we'd be safer from the cold. She thought she was being funny."

"She wants you, you know," Ginny relied, solemnly.

Draco let out the biggest laugh. "Gran-ger! Wa-nt ME?" he wrenced out between chuckles.

"She does! Are you laughing at me?!"

"Not you, specifically, but your accusations. Do you actually think that the Hermione Granger likes me, an big, bad Slytherin?" Draco raised an inquisitive eyebrow.

"Didn't you see the way she was looking at you? It's the same way I do, and that means-" Ginny rambled before she could stop herself. She covered her mouth and turned away from Draco, who was now perched atop his bed. She heard the springs strain as he pushed himself up.

He stood behind her, and grabbed her arm away from her mouth. "That means what?" he whispered in her ear.

It sent shivers down Ginny's spine. She knew she felt things for him that she never thought any guy would return, but as he laced his fingers between hers she knew he did.

What are you doing, Ginny? How can you think that Draco Malfoy could ever care about anyone but himself? He's a selfish prat, who no matter how much you care about him, he will never love you!

Funny, Riddle. You just described yourself perfectly.


But, she knew she couldn't confess to her feeling for Draco right then. Tom was a constant presence in her mind that was more than willing to turn her against Draco. She had to let him know that the Occlumency wasn't working. "Draco, I have to tell you something."

His breath was hot and expectant against her neck.

"The Occlumency isn't working," she left it blunt and vague, waiting for him to make the next move.

Draco turned her around slowly, and gazed horrified into her eyes. "When was his last attack?" he asked, desperately.

"Just now," Ginny said, wrapping her arms around his neck as she felt herself grow weak from all the stress her body was taking at once.

Draco swiftly moved her over to the bed, and sat her against his headboard. Her head lolled back, and all she wanted to do was fall asleep in the safety of his arms.

"I'm going to get Snape okay? I'll be right back, I promise, but it's obvious that you're not going anywhere," he said, turning reluctantly. In two seconds he was gone, and Ginny was left alone for the first time this school year with her demon.

Oh, Ginny. You see, Malfoy's too scared to stay with you. He doesn't want you.

You're wrong! He's getting me help!

That's what you think, but really, Virginia, he's never coming back.

What have you done to him?

I didn't do anything. His leaving is of his own free will.

He's going to come back for me. He wouldn't just leave.

Go ahead. Wait him out if you have to.


Ginny sat on his bed, breathing in his scent. It was so calming and yet terrifying at the same time. He smelled of expensive cologne, cedar, and fresh fallen rain. It was all his own, and she loved it... loved him.

Thanks to all you guys who reviewed! Review and I'll love you forever...
Leave a Review