Prologue: Why We Said Goodbye

Virginia Malfoy never believed the things people said about her husband. Her brother, Ron, told her daily that he was an insufferable git and only thought of himself. Her closest friend, Hermione Granger, would tell her Malfoy would never be able to see beyond his own reflection in the mirror. Harry, Ginny's ex-boyfriend, was the worst. Not that it was in the least bit surprising.

Harry hated Draco long before Ginny fell for the silver-haired Slytherin. He would probably hate Draco long after Ginny was gone. It was just one of the things that was: the Earth revolved around the Sun, the British were better than the Americans, and Harry Potter hated Draco Malfoy. Ginny never even let it faze her when Harry would insult Draco. It just happened.

She never believed those things until today, though. Today she was ready to convince herself that he was the cold-hearted bastard everyone said he was. Draco moved with such ease through their bedroom, as if the idea of leaving his pregnant wife behind was nothing at all. He carefully packed some clothes into a bag she'd charmed to be bottomless and feather-light as she sat on the bed watching him. Yes, today she hated him. But only because she loved him so much.

"Don't sulk so much, love, I'll be back in a few weeks." Draco eyed his wife carefully. Didn't she know that he didn't want to go? That he would do just about anything than leave her and return to the enemy camp. But he had to. If not for himself, for their child she was carrying. Someone had to do something about his father. If the Ministry of Magic wouldn't take care of it, then Draco would.

"Weeks?" she asked. Ginny could feel the color drain from her face. "What exactly do you plan on doing?"

"You know I can't tell you that. It's only my father, Virginia. I can handle him."

When he passed her again, Ginny reached out and grabbed his wrist. He smiled softly down at her, and allowed himself to be pulled to the bed. "The fact that it's your father is what scares me, Draco." Ginny leaned her head against his shoulder. "He's been so angry at you since we married."

"Yes, I would rather have thought he'd gotten over that by now."

"You know he'll never get over it," Ginny whispered softly. "I'll never be what he views as a suitable wife."

His hand reached out to touch her stomach. "If he ever wants to know his grandchild, then he'll start to see you as I see you." Draco smiled when her extended stomach jumped under his hand. "Little Cera's going to be a Quidditch player. Just like her Daddy."

Ginny smiled tenderly. "Yes, I agree. Seth will make an excellent Beater some day."

"It's a girl, I tell you." Draco stretched his hand out, amazed that even in the swollen state of her stomach it still reached across the whole thing. It was times like this that he remembered how tiny she actually was. "A girl with the Weasley-red-hair and her mother's freckles."

His wife shook her head in disagreement. "No. He'll have blonde hair that will always fall in his face, so much so that he'll have to learn those horrible hair-sticking-spells."

"I did not use a hair sticking spell," Draco tried to defend himself.

She smiled again. "Save it for someone who isn't married to you, Draco."

Draco smiled at her smile. "I love you, you know."

Ginny nodded. "I do know. And I love you too."

His hand moved from her belly and soon she was in his arms, her head settled beneath his chin. "You don't need to worry, Virginia. Everything will work out fine. I'll be home before you even have time to miss me."

The redhead in his arms sniffled. "I doubt that. But you better be home for Seth is born. You know I'll never forgive you if you aren't."

Draco felt himself smiling again. "I'm sure Cera wouldn't forgive me either. But I'll be home. Don't worry." He held her tighter, as if trying to burn that moment into his memory for all time. For some reason Draco knew by letting her go, he might be losing her.

The Malfoy heir was well aware of any danger he faced by returning to his father's side. But he needed one more chance… one more time to reason with his father before he allowed the Ministry to raid Lucius's private holdings and send him to Azkaban. There had to be a way to make the elder Malfoy see that by holding onto the Dark Lord so strongly he was missing life as it was happening about him.

The son had never been particularly fond of the father. It was hard, as Lucius Malfoy was not an open man. His father before him had been raised with an iron fist, as he was raised, and so it was only fitting that his only child would be treated the same way. Except life was different now. There was no need for an iron fist. When Draco was born, it was around the time that it was suddenly acceptable to love your children. While Narcissa, Draco's mother, had taken to the concept rather well, Lucius had never quite gotten it. Love was a weakness in his eyes. At first it had been in Draco's as well. Until he finally saw what (or should it be who) was standing in front of him.

Virginia Weasley had saved his life. Not in the literal sense, of course. In fact, it had been Draco who'd done that kind of saving. But Virginia had stormed into his life when he hadn't had a prayer and simply took up residence. He couldn't help but love her. It was insane at first, because he couldn't comprehend the emotions she made him feel. Once he got used to it, though, once he accepted that she was whom he was meant to be with, then Draco accepted them. Marrying her had been the natural thing to do. In his mind, marrying Virginia was the only thing to do. His father hadn't agreed.

Sometime later, Draco was pulled from his reverie by the chiming of an old clock in the hallway. According to the chimes it was seven in the evening. "I need to go," he said quietly.

Ginny stirred, looking up at him with tired eyes. "I can't talk you out of this?" she asked once again.

He touched her cheek fondly. "You probably could, to be honest. You're the only one who has ever gotten through to me, really. But I know you understand this is my last opportunity to save him. I don't think you'll take it away from me."

She shook her head. "I won't. I… I don't like it, Draco. But I understand."

Draco hugged her once more, before helping her sit up on the bed. He brushed his lips against her temple, then down her jaw to her chin. Finally, his lips met hers.

It was the lightest of kisses, as to not tease them both. Anything deeper would have made him stay, and as much as he wanted to he couldn't. He had to do this. "I love you," he breathed against her lips. With one more tender kiss, Draco pulled back completely. "I'll come home," he promised.

Ginny nodded, her right hand resting against her stomach. Suddenly she was standing, her left hand tugging at her right ring finger. Draco narrowed his eyes. "What're you doing?"

When she'd removed both rings, Ginny replaced the engagement ring he'd given her nearly four years before. "I want you to take this with you."

Draco wasn't sure what to say. "Virginia, what're you doing?" he asked again.

His wife studied the simple gold band between her fingers, running her fingers over the delicate carvings in the metal. "Hold out your palm."

He didn't. "Virginia…"

"Draco, hold out your palm."

"That's yours, Gin. Put it back on."

She shook her head. "Hold out your palm," she repeated. Finally, he pacified her. Ginny placed the band in the middle of his palm and curled his fingers tight around it. "When you come home, you can put it back on my finger.

"No matter what happens, Draco, I want you to come home to me. When you married me, you promised to love me until death, and I intend on holding you to that promise. That ring was a symbol of your promise, and I want you to keep it with you so that you remember. You promised, Draco. Now I need you to make me another promise."

"Anything."

"I need you to promise that you'll always remember me."

"Ginny," he sighed.

"I know, I know," she cut him off. "You swear that nothing will happen, and I trust you, Draco, I do. But I just," Ginny stopped, unsure of how to go on. "I just… I can't explain it, but I need you to promise me you'll always remember me. You'll always remember us."

He could never deny her anything. Draco closed his hand so tightly around her wedding band, that he could feel the metal cut into his skin. He focused on the pain, so he wouldn't have to deal with the pain coming from his soul. "I could never forget you, Gin. Or us. Don't you know? Everything good inside of me comes from you. As long as I have that, I'll have you."

Ginny smiled at his promise. "You'll always know where home is, then." Gently she lifted his hand to her mouth, kissing his knuckles. "You should know that the Virginia standing in front of you today was born the day you kissed her. You're where my life really begins. Everything that happened to me before then was only leading up to the day you and I would meet."

"Merlin, I love you," he whispered again. Draco wrapped his arms around her once more, not caring if he crushed her or not. She clung to him just as tightly, silently willing her own strength into him. "I should go," he said finally.

She nodded.

"I want you to know that if something should happen, you don't have to worry about anything. The money, the Manor, everything… I've given it all to you. If you need any help, go to Blaise. He's promised to help you."

"I know." Ginny could feel the bile starting to rise up from her stomach. She hoped she wouldn't get sick before he left. She didn't want his last memory of her to be of her wrenching the contents of her stomach.

"I'll be back," he said releasing her. He moved over to the vanity and picked up the bag. "Take care of little Seth or Cera. Tell them every day I love them."

She could feel the tears prick her eyelids, no matter how much she promised she wouldn't cry. "I will."

Draco nodded, feeling as if he should say more. But he couldn't. There were no words to express what he was feeling right now, so he only turned to walk away. "I'll see you later, Virginia. I'll be home soon."

"Bye," she called after him.

After the bedroom door closed, Ginny heard the soft pop as he Disapparated and she sank to her knees on the floor.

He was gone.
***


The owl arrived at the same moment as Blaise Zabini. It didn't matter, she told herself. It was only a coincidence. He was fine.

"Blaise," she greeted their old friend.

"Ginny," the Slytherin began. "I…"

"No," Ginny interrupted him. "Don't…"

It was like slow motion to Blaise, he saw her fall before she ever actually did. Luckily he was able to get over to her, and pull her into his body. "Shhh," he whispered soothingly.

"It's not true," Ginny told him. "It… it can't be true."

"I'm sorry," Blaise whispered. "Dumbledore sent word today."

"No."

"Gin, I'm sorry. There was… there's no way he survived." He helped her to the sofa in the sitting room, easing her down onto the white cushions. Blaise left the room long enough to get her some water and a blanket, hoping that she would have calmed down a bit. He wasn't very good at dealing with hysterical women, especially his best friend's bride. "Is there anything I could do?" he asked.

Ginny looked up at him, her brown eyes wide. "What… what happened?"

The raven-haired-boy sat next to her, gently pulling her to his side. "It was a set up. His father lied."

"Lucius?" she questioned. "His father killed him?"

Blaise nodded. "But not before Draco was able…"

"Don't tell me," Ginny whispered. "Don't tell me."

"Okay," he agreed. "I won't tell you."

Time seemed to stand still as the two of them grieved for the fallen man. If anyone had seen them, it would have been assumed that they were lovers sharing something intimate. Blaise's arms stayed wrapped around Ginny for a long time, steadying her as she took baby steps.

He'd been the one at the funeral, holding her gently as she rested her hands against her ever-expanding stomach. He'd been the one who helped her pack her things so she could leave Malfoy Manor. Blaise had been the one who moved her into the small house north of London; he'd been the one to place the Fidelus spell on her and the unborn child. Blaise was her rock.

He was also the one who came to visit her and the twins (they'd both been right, a boy and a girl), Cera and Seth, one day when she looked up at him with bright eyes. It was the first time she'd smiled since the twins were born.

"He's not dead," Ginny declared. "Draco's not dead."
Leave a Review