She was sleeping again. Not that he minded, because Draco knew Virginia was experiencing at least some shock. Even if she'd been entirely convinced he was alive, it must have been difficult finding out she was correct.

He wanted to sleep as well. In his mind, he knew he'd been awake for more than twenty-four hours. He should have collapsed from the exhaustion of it all by now, but instead he was wide-awake. Draco checked his watch and dropped his head when it read seven o'clock. He'd have to reset that sometime.

In America, Nathan Hall wouldn't have left the office yet. In England, Draco Malfoy was wandering aimlessly about his Manor, trying to fit together his life. Jet lag was not something he enjoyed.

The nanny, Cynthia, Virginia had called her, took the twins to their grandparents for a few days. Neither of them had seen him, nor did they even know he was alive. Draco was anxious to meet his children. Anxious, but apprehensive. What if they hated him? What if they blamed him? What if they could never forgive him?

And Virginia… what happened when she realized he didn't know who he was? He still couldn't remember his life before… Well, before whatever his father had done.

Whatever happened in her bedroom earlier had been a fluke. After he convinced her to lay down again, he found that he remembered no more about his life now than he did before. It was all still a mystery. The memories of them… they had come from somewhere deep in his subconscious. Almost like dreams of a life long forgotten. He couldn't say with any surety that he even loved Virginia.

Draco sighed as he continued walking through the halls of the Manor. He felt something for her. Of that he was sure. Be it compassion or sympathy, lust or longing, it was at least something. He wasn't very sure that it was love, though. In the seven years he could remember, Draco couldn't recall ever experiencing love firsthand. He'd heard about it, of course. His co-workers had invited him to their weddings, and he'd witnessed two people promise to love, honor, and cherish… but it was never him.

From the moment he woke up, he'd been in a committed relationship. In his mind, it didn't matter that he couldn't remember Virginia, or that he may never know who she was, he was still committed to her. It was strange, even to his ears – but he was married, with all of the commitment and responsibility, but none of the perks.

In New York, there had been no women. No dinner dates, no afternoons in the park. He'd never shared ice cream with anyone. He was a married man. The gold wedding band never ventured very far from his left ring finger (a switch he made after starting to work for Richard – apparently in America wearing a band on the right hand signified some sort of alternative lifestyle).

His fellow workers questioned his celibacy, but more often than not left him alone about it. Draco had never been completely oblivious to the stares from the women (and sometimes men) when he walked into a room. He was just vain enough to know he was handsome, but still not tempted enough to break a vow to someone he couldn't remember.

Over seven years, he'd received what felt like hundreds of offers. One-night stands, and just sex, but never from anyone he felt he couldn't live without. Also, there was the fact that he'd always intended on returning to Virginia – be it one year, or ten, he wanted to go home to her. He'd loved her enough to marry her, so the least he could to was remain faithful. Draco also knew if she'd ever been unfaithful, and he found out about it… well, he wasn't sure he could live with that.

It wasn't even something he wanted to consider. But, the Virginia he'd encountered earlier… she seemed pleased to see him. Happy, even. Draco couldn't blame her for her superstitions, and thanked whatever god gave him the knowledge to prove his identity to her. But did she love him… well; it was a question that was still unanswered.

Draco was pulled from his thoughts when he rounded a corner and came face to face with the man responsible for his predicament. Hanging with a long line of Malfoy men, there was Lucius. Beneath the moving picture, there was a plaque that read, Lucius Malfoy, husband to Narcissa, father to Draco.

There was no doubt they were related. The white-blonde hair and light colored eyes linked them. However, there was a hardness about Lucius that Draco knew he didn't contain. Even after seven years, he'd never allowed himself to go cold inside. Yes, it was often boyhood fantasies of Virginia – whoever she was – that kept him going, but they were enough. He'd never completely lost hope, and as long as he had hope he had something.

Draco was momentarily distracted by picture to the right of his father's: a picture of him, although it was several years old. He wasn't smiling, but he wasn't sneering either. Picture-Draco had taken on the pose of many of the other men hanging on the wall, one of just looking content with life and having his picture taken. Beneath the picture was a similar gold plaque that read Draco Malfoy, husband to Virginia, father to Seth and Cera... He imagined the '…' was there because his life was still incomplete.

His gaze settled back on his father and Draco was overwhelmed with such hatred that he could barely contain himself. He hated him for all he'd taken away from him, all he'd cost him. For the seven years he'd missed with his wife and children, all of the time he spent wandering about America lost and alone.

"I hate you," he told the picture. "I hate you."

"Your hatred was what he wanted."

Draco turned to find Cynthia standing down the hall from him. "Excuse me?"

"If you hate him, it means he still matters to you. Lucius never wanted you to love him, but he also never wanted you to forget him. He has insured this, I see."

His silver eyes slanted into a glare. "How do you know any of this?"

The older woman took a step forward, into the light of the hall. "Because I was there. I was at your mother's side when you were born, as I was by your grandmother's side when Lucius was born. My family has served yours for five generations, and will continue to serve yours through future generations."

"Why?"

"The why doesn't matter," the old woman told him. "It just is."

"Oh."

"You don't remember any of this, do you?" she asked after a moment.

Draco stayed silent so long; Cynthia didn’t expect him to answer. He stood stony, facing the picture of his father, as he thought. She went to move past him, to her own bedroom, when he spoke. "He took it from me."

"Who took what?"

"My father, he took my life from me… I can't remember anything. I'm not sure if I ever will."

"Why would you want to remember the past, when it's now time to start your future?"

"Virginia will never–"

"The lady hasn't given up after this long, Sir. For seven years, she's stood by and waited for you to return to her. Each night, when she puts the children to bed, she tells them a story about you. Since the night you disappeared, she has waited for you to return. Now that you have, I don't think it's likely she'll let you go."

He nodded, as she continued to pass. When she reached her door, Draco asked, "How would one send a post?"

"You mean an owl?" Cynthia answered him.

No, that wasn't what he meant at all… "I need to send a letter to Potter, I think he might be able to help me. How do I do that?"

"You send an owl." The woman studied him from the doorway, watching as the confusion drifted over his face, and stayed there. "Come, I'll show you."

***


It was the hand on his forearm that woke him. Sometime around three that morning, he'd made his way back to Virginia's bedroom, and settled himself into the chair there. Potter hadn't come right away, although Draco knew he wouldn't. He expected him sometime today.

Draco opened his eyes and saw Virginia standing above him, smiling. He immediately closed them again, reaching up to wipe the sleep away. Even though his brain knew it was right to be here, he was still a bit disorientated from it all. "What time is it?" he asked.

"Seven thirty. What time did you go to bed?"

"I have jet lag. So it was after three, I think."

"Jet lag?"

He watched her, as she moved away from him, and sat on her bed. "Do you not know what that is?"

She shook her head no.

"It's the effect that changing time zones has on your body. At hom—in New York, I mean, it's only around two a.m. So when you went to bed last night, even though it was nearly midnight here, I was wide-awake. It'll take a week or so, but it'll all straighten out."

"Oh." Virginia continued to sit on the bed, playing with the edges of her dressing gown, not meeting his eyes.

Draco studied her carefully. Something was… wrong. Really wrong. "What is it?"

She looked up, and shook her head. "Nothing. I just haven't woken up yet, that's all."

"Virginia…"

"You don't remember, do you?" she asked suddenly.

"Remember what?"

With a hand motion she indicated what she meant, but said, "Your life," anyway. "The Manor, or Hogwarts, or our life together. It's all a mystery to you, isn't it?"

He knew he couldn't lie to her, not that he wanted to. Draco had hoped he'd talk with Potter before they had this conversation. "Yes. It is."

Virginia's shoulders dropped, as she closed her eyes and willed the emotions away. It hurt. For seven years, all she wanted was for him to come home to her, and now he had… and it didn't matter. Because… "Do you… do you remember us at all?"

Draco shook his head. "I've tried, Virginia. I have. I've always known you were important, because of the wedding band, and there were times when I felt it was right there, just beyond my reach. But only little bits and pieces have returned to me."

She accepted his answer with a nod of her head. She still wasn't looking at him, as it hurt too much. The pain was… unbearable. It wasn't fair. Draco caught the movement as her left hand went to her right, and she began to slide the ring that rested there off. "What are you doing?" he asked.

"I… I won't keep you in a marriage you don't remember, Draco. I won't make you stay with a woman you don't love. I… I won't even make you stay here with me. Just, lets go to the registry office, get our divorce, and you can return to New York."

"Virginia–"

"I only ask that you… please, at least see the children before you go. I don't expect anything for myself, but they are your children. They are the heirs, and one day, this will be theirs. Just, see them… explain to them yourself."

She was reaching out towards him, now. The ring between two of her fingers, wanting to give it to him. He knew if he let her leave him, she would crumble as soon as she was out of her sight. Standing quickly, Draco met her halfway. "What's going on?" he asked, his voice soft. He lifted her chin, making her look at him. He wasn't surprised to see the trails of tears on her cheeks. "Why are you doing this?"

"I won't hold you to any of your promises you made, Draco. It wouldn't be fair."

"Virginia…"

"This isn't your life anymore. I understand that. If you'll come with me today… to the registry office, then to the Burrow and see the children, I'll let you return home."

"This is my home."

She shook her head, breaking their contact. Draco reached down and grasped her wrist gently, as to not let her move too far away from him. "This isn't your life, though. This is some ancestral manor that became yours when we married. Your life is different, Draco. And there's no place for your past in it."

"Why don't you let me decide?" Taking a step closer to her, Draco took her other hand. He twined their fingers so that the ring was held between their hands. "Virginia, you are my life. You are my home." Her husband tried to smile at her, but it was only a half-hearted attempt. "No, I don't remember our life from before. And you don't know how sorry I am for that, but I also know that being here with you, touching you like this, is the only thing I've wanted for seven years. I can't deny what being in your arms means to me."

"But you don't love me."

Her voice was so tiny Draco strained to hear it. Draco wanted nothing more than to wrap her in his arms, and hold onto the end of the Earth. "Will you give me a chance?"

"I…I don't know if I can." Virginia leaned her forehead against his shoulder and sighed deeply. "If it was just me, then there wouldn't be any problem. I love you enough for the both of us. But it's not anymore. I have Cera and Seth to think of. What if you decide you don't want this life, Draco? I'll never survive losing you again."

"That won't happen," he promised. "That will never happen."

"You don’t know that."

"I do," Draco insisted. "This is the only life I've ever wanted."

"Okay."

He pulled his head back so he could look at her. She'd stopped crying, but still looked lost and alone. "Okay?"

Virginia nodded. "I need one thing from you, though."

"Anything."

"Don't make me any promises."

"What?"

"Whatever happens happens. I need you to let life run its course. If you decide this isn't what you want, you won't hesitate to tell me. Don't stay with me out of an obligation you don’t remember. "

"Virginia," he began.

"Please?" she asked him. "Just this one thing. No promises."

"You want me to promise to not make you any promises?"

"Yes."

"What if I can't?" he asked. "I'm not sure I can."

"Just for a little while, Draco. Until we get things settled, until we get things figured out."

"Fine," he sighed. "No promises."

Virginia smiled at him then. "Thank you."

She stepped back from him, and his hands unwillingly let her go. "What now?" he asked.

"I wanted to go see the children. You can come with me, if you like."

"I'd like that."

"My family will be there. Probably everyone but Bill and Charlie… are you sure?"

"What?" he asked. "Does your family not like me?"

"I think you've already met Ron, right?" At his nod, she continued, "Well, he's the worst of them. At school, you and Ron weren't exactly… friends."

"I gathered from his attitude the other night that he didn't exactly like me."

"That's an understatement. For a long time, Ron was sure you used an Unforgivable Curse on me, and then seduced me."

"Did I?" Draco joked.

She smiled, in spite of it all. "No, you didn't. I just… I fell in love with you."

"Well, I know why. I’m devastatingly handsome, and smart, and funny–"

"And you haven't changed a bit," she interrupted him. "Still egotistical Draco, I see."

"Is that a compliment, Mrs. Malfoy?"

Virginia shrugged. "Take it as you please. When will you be reading to go? We'll Apparate over."

When he was trying to find out where Malfoy Manor was, one of the shopkeepers in the town just below the Manor explained to him what Apparation was. Disappearing and reappearing somewhere seemed very sci-fi to him, but he'd kept his mouth closed. "I'm not sure I can Apparate."

"You can. You just need your wand."

His brow knitted in confusion. "I… I don't have a wand."

Virginia frowned, and then shook her head. "Well go by Ollivander's, then. Anything else?"

"I hoped to speak with Potter today. Cynthia had me send him an owl last night, but I'm not sure… what if the bird got lost?"

The redhead laughed at his facial expression. "Owls don't get lost. As long as you give them proper direction, they get along just find. I send owls to my brother Charlie in Romania all the time, and they always make it."

Draco felt dumb for his question then. All the way to Romania? This Charlie must have an interesting job. But he'd have time for that later. "Oh."

"Harry works at the Ministry, we can go by after we get your wand. You'll be able to see my dad, too. I had one of the elves put your things in a suite across the hall. Go get changed, then we'll go."

Draco nodded, still feeling incredibly overwhelmed by it all. He wasn’t sure what was happening, but he couldn't shake the feeling of being lost from his system. It was just disorientation, he knew.

Ten minutes later, he knocked on her bedroom door, and was greeted by the sight of Virginia fully dressed and ready to go. He'd never known any female who could be ready in ten minutes. Her red hair was pulled away from her face, in a bun on her head, and she wore no make, except lip-gloss. The silver robes were open, giving him the sight of Virginia in black trousers and blue blouse. On her feet she wore one-inch heeled boots. She looked… amazing. That was until she burst out laughing at him. "What?"

"Don't you have any robes?"

"Robes?" Draco repeated. "No, I don't. Do I need them?"

Virginia nodded at him. "Yes, you need them. Since we'll be in the Alley anyway, we can go by Madam Malkin's."

"Who is Madam Malkin?"

His wife smiled at his confusion. "She owns a robe shop, Draco. She might have something for you to wear today, but we'll order some others as well. Come, we'll Apparate there, first."

Draco followed her out of the bedroom, and down the hall. Once they reached the entrance, she took out her wand and twined the fingers of his left hand with those of her right. "Hold on tight. I don't want to split us."

He tightened his fingers around hers until he knew it was almost painful. Virginia, however, didn't say anything. Draco felt the pull as he started falling, but couldn't stop himself. He closed his eyes tight and waited for the sensation to stop. A moment later, he could hear Virginia's laughter ringing in his ears. "Is it safe now?"

"Yes, you can open your eyes."

When he didn't, Draco realized he hadn't been prepared for what he was going to see. "What… what is this place?"

His wife looked up at him, as her hand gave his a reassuring squeeze. "Diagon Alley. Come on, let's get your robes, then I'll show you around."

As they entered Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions, Draco looked back at what they were leaving behind. It seemed to be too much. Was this really his life?
Leave a Review