Ron Weasley didn't like his sister's husband, which should automatically disqualify him for this job. Family spokesman, indeed. Why not Charlie or Bill? Those two were far more responsible. Or Fred and George? They were the most recognizable Weasley's. Hell, even his dad would have been a better choice. At least Arthur Weasley cared that Malfoy was back among the land of the living.

Not that Ron didn't care. He was happy for Ginny and the twins, but otherwise… well, why couldn't the youngest Weasley have married someone more likeable? Someone more like Dean Thomas or Seamus Finnigan? In his opinion, the only person worse than Draco would have been Lucius Malfoy himself. But, when the devil's unavailable, always go for the son!

So here he was, in the middle of the afternoon, while his beloved Chudley Cannons were playing for the division title against Puddlemere United, at the Ministry about to read a prepared speech. Family spokesman. Bugger.

A clock chimed, marking the half hour and Susan appeared at his side. "Are you ready, love?"

"No." Ron tilted his head upward as she straightened his robes and smoothed away any wrinkles. "I don't see why I have to do this."

The petite brunette smiled up at him. "Because someone has to do it, Ron. Why not you?"

"Why can't Ginny make the stupid speech? He is her husband."

She tutted softly at him. "You and I both know Ginny is just short of a visit to St. Mungo's, love, and facing the press would likely push her over."

"Why'd he have to come back?" Ron complained. "Ginny was fine without him! She, Seth, and Cera were doing fine, they were getting on with life. But the amazing bouncing ferret couldn't stay gone—"

"Ronald Weasley," Susan interrupted him. Her voice was stern and her mouth set in a hard line. "You're sister loves him. You've had nearly ten years to get used to the fact. It's not going to change! Grow up."

"Sus—look, I'm sorry, okay?" The redhead ran a hand over his face and took a deep breath. "I know she loves him. I don't understand it, I don't even pretend to understand it. He's Malfoy for Merlin sakes. He's a slimy git—"

"And you're an insufferable prat," she cut in again. "But you're my insufferable prat, Ron. Just like Draco is Ginny's slimy git." His wife looked up at him, her blue eyes searching his face for some kind of compassion. "I know you don't understand why, but Draco is important to Ginny. And she's happy he's back, Ron. Don't take that away from her, please?"

He nodded, and then looked away. "I guess I should go give this speech, huh?"

"Yeah, you should." She straightened his black robes one more time before leaning up to give him a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you."

Ron took her right hand in his left and turned towards the front doors of the Ministry. The parchment Ginny owled over in his right hand, they walked out the door together.

As soon as the double doors opened, the camera bulbs started flashing. Ron squeezed Susan's hand once more before releasing it and stepping forward to the podium. He unrolled the parchment in front of him and looked up at the press representatives. "I'm going to read a prepared statement. There will be no question session afterwards. Thank you."

Clearing his throat, he began.

"As a representative of both the Weasley and Malfoy families, I'm here to clear up any rumors about my sister, Virginia, and her husband Draco Malfoy. Draco is alive. He returned to England recently, making his way to Malfoy Manor and back to my sister. There are still questions surrounding his seven-year disappearance, and it is being investigated. I'm not here to discuss this with you today. When my sister married Mal—Draco nine years ago, they started a life together as one, and after seven years of being separated they will continue on their journey. They ask that you respect their privacy at this time. Thank you."

Ron stepped back from the podium as the reporters began to fire questions at him. He held up his hand, refusing to answer any of them. Susan appeared at his left elbow, taking it gently and pulling him back into the building. Arthur Weasley was standing inside the door, smiling. "Good show, Ron."

He accepted his father's praise with a nod. "Think it'll keep them away from Gin?"

"Not a chance." The Weasley patriarch studied the reporters as they started to Disapparate, all going back to file the story he assumed, and sighed. "Virginia and Draco will have to fight for any privacy they get. The press will be looking for any crack in their marriage. And it things don't work out… well, let's hope things work out."

Ron didn't say anything. Even if he didn't say anything, he wasn't sure he wanted things to work out between the pair. If they divorced, then Ginny could finally find a man who deserved her. And then Ron would be happy too.

***


Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter were not friends. The same went for Ron and Hermione. Before his disappearance, Draco had barely tolerated the Golden Trio for Ginny's sake. He felt Harry was a git with a bad case of hero syndrome, Ron a foulmouthed, quick-tempered prat, and Hermione was a Mudblood. Even if she looked different now, to Draco she would always be the frizzy-haired, buck-toothed twelve-year-old know-it-all from Hogwarts.

Ginny knew these things, so it was very surreal to see Draco sitting down for tea with the Potters. He was polite and courteous and all the things he should be. It should make her happy, except it didn't. This man was… different. He was not Draco. Ginny sat quietly at his side as he talked with Harry about the possibilities of reversing the memory charm. She could feel her heart start to hurt.

"Ginny?" Harry asked. "What do you think?"

She focused on the other three people in the room. Smiling, she said, "I think whatever you think is best." Ginny hadn't even tried to keep the sadness from her voice. "If you'll excuse me, I need the restroom."

"Virginia?" Draco asked. "Are you okay?"

She nodded to him. "I'll be right back."

Three sets of eyes watched her walk down the hall and take a left at the end. Once the door closed, they continued their conversation.

Ginny turned the faucet on and let the water run. She looked at herself in the mirror and frowned. She should be happy. This was… this was what she wanted, wasn't it? Draco back, them to be a family, a chance at a real life. Instead, she got this… Ginny wasn't even sure what she had. Only now that she had it, she didn't want it.

She wanted him to love her, and he didn't. Or maybe he couldn't. Anyway, the result was the same. She was still alone. Maybe not physically, but emotionally.

Last night proved it to her. Ginny knew she could let Draco kiss her and touch her, but she also knew it wouldn't mean anything to him. Because he didn't love her. He couldn't remember his love for her. And she had no idea about how to make her husband fall in love with her.

For Ginny, one of the great mysteries of Hogwarts was Draco wanting her. She understood the friendship. They both shared a sarcastic wit and a desire to prove themselves to everyone. But falling in love with her? Well, Ginny always assumed she'd get over the crush (because that's what it had to be, right?) on Draco and fall in love with a nice boy like Neville Longbottom. They'd get married, have three kids, and get a house and a dog in the country. That was what her life was supposed to be, and she'd been okay with that.

Until Draco kissed her – that was when Ginny knew she'd need his kisses every day for the rest of her life. A miracle had happened and he did love her. They were married, moved into Malfoy Manor, and got pregnant.

Closing her eyes, she forced herself to stop going down that road. It was in the past and it was over. There was, apparently, no going back. Someone knocked on the door. "Gin?" she heard Harry ask.

"I'm fine. I'll be out soon."

She cupped her hands beneath the running water and splashed her face with cold water. In her mind, Ginny kept telling herself she had to be strong for the twins. Seth and Cera needed her. They needed her and she needed them. "They also need their father," she whispered to herself.

She and Draco would just have to work something out. That was the only way around it. Ginny quietly slipped the diamond engagement ring from her finger. She held it in her fingers, studying it for a moment, before dropping it into her robe pocket. There were so many things to settle between them. So many things that needed to be said. But that could wait until they were alone. Tonight, Ginny decided. She'd tell him tonight.

Harry was still standing outside when she opened the bathroom door. "I'm fine, Harry," Ginny sighed.

"Are you sure?"

She nodded. "I just—"

"You weren't prepared for this, were you?"

Ginny frowned. "I'm supposed to be happy, Harry. And I am. I'm happy he's alive, really. I knew he was alive. I never believed he was dead. But I also never imagined this… in my mind, he'd been captured by his father's Death Eater friends and was being tortured every day. He wasn't supposed to be living a perfectly normal life in bloody New York City. He was happy there, Harry. He just didn't love me anymore."

"Ginny," Harry sighed. He cupped her cheek with his hand. "Are you going to be okay?"

"I have to be," she answered him. "I have two kids who need me. I need them, too."

"And Draco?"

"We'll settle things between us. We'll work out something so he can see the kids, but get back to his life."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah," she sighed. "It's the only way."

"Okay," Harry nodded. "Let's go back."

When they re-entered the sitting room, Ginny noticed the worried look on Draco's face. She sat down beside him, but couldn't look at him.

"Are you okay?"

"I'll tell you later, okay?" Turning back to Harry and Hermione she asked, "Did the three of you come up with anything?"

Hermione frowned. The brightest witch in the last century (according to her NEWT scores at Hogwarts, at least) shook her head. "All of the research I've done, everyone I've talked to, and no one knows of anyway to reverse memory charms. The only thing I can think of is maybe it will just fade."

"Fade?"

"I've remembered some things, Virginia." Draco took her left hand in his. "Before, when I first returned – I remembered those things you asked me. It's possible."

"But unlikely." Ginny closed her eyes and sighed deeply. She'd just have to accept this. Finally she stood and turned to Harry and Hermione. "Thanks for trying to help."

"Ginny," Hermione began. "There's… there's other things we can do."

The redhead shook her head, standing. "No. You've done enough. I know what happens next."

"Gin–"

"Thanks, Harry. Hermione. We need to get to the Burrow and take the kids home. It's getting late."

Draco stood behind her. He held her winter cloak out so she could slip it over her arms. Leaning forward, he whispered in her ear, "It's gonna be okay."

Ginny nodded. She wished she could believe him. "Let's go get the children."

Once they were on the doorstep, Draco took her arm. "Virginia, are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she told him. Ginny couldn't look at him. "Can I ask you something?"

"Yes?"

"Why do you call me Virginia? Everyone else calls me Ginny or Gin. But you always call me Virginia. Why?"

Draco reached into his trouser pocket and produced her gold wedding band. "It was because of this. On the inside Virginia is engraved."

"You still have that?"

"It was in my pocket when I came to in New York. My wedding band told me I was Draco, and your wedding band told me someone in the world named Virginia loved me enough to marry me."

She touched his face. "I'm sorry you were so alone."

"Not alone, really." Draco closed his fist around the ring. "You were with me. Even if I didn't know you, you were there with me."

"I missed you," she confessed. Ginny took a step back. "I still miss you."

"Miss me? I'm right here, Virginia."

His wife shook her head. "I miss my friend, Draco. I miss the person… I miss the other half of my soul. The man who completed my sentences and knew what I was thinking without saying a word. I miss the way you made me laugh like no one else could and all the color you brought into my life. The way you would hold me when I needed to cry. I just…" Ginny laughed. "I even miss the times we used to fight."

"Why?"

"Because I miss you. I miss us, Draco."

"Virginia…"

"We have to go, okay? We can talk tonight, but I just… I really need to see Seth and Cera right now."

He nodded, accepting what she wanted. Taking a step closer, Draco wrapped an arm around her waist. "I'm ready."

With a flick of her wand and the Apparation spell, they were at the Burrow.

Ginny quickly stepped out of his embrace. She slipped her wand in her cloak pocket and knocked on the door. "I've got it, Molly!" she heard someone call from inside.

When the door opened, she saw the last person she'd been expecting. Looking down, she saw her blond haired, silver-eyed son clinging to his leg.

This wasn't what she needed right now. Not by a long shot.

"Hello, Gin."

"Blaise."
Leave a Review