I miss you.

The words repeated over and over in his head until he finally woke up. His flat was completely dark, except for the streetlights filtering in through the window. He'd long ago accepted that the lights never went out in New York. When he'd first arrived, it had comforted him. Now it only made him feel secure. The world was never dark. And he needed that.

The man fought to know what—or who—he'd been dreaming of. He always heard the voice, but could never place it exactly. And after seven years of having almost the same dream, it was getting a little tiring. He knew they were memories from his past life. Someone was trying to invade his sleep and bring him back. He just didn't know who, or why they would want him back. Surely, after seven years whoever he'd left behind would have moved on by now.

Including Virginia.

He pushed the black cashmere blanket back and reached for his glasses on the nightstand. His fingers brushed hesitantly over the wedding band that wasn't his, and he sighed. It was reassuring: being able to touch it, see it, and know that someone out there once loved him enough to marry him. That fact had gotten him through many a lonely night.

As the numbers on the alarm clock came into focus he saw that it was just after three a.m. He'd only been asleep for four hours, yet he knew he was up now. "Might as well get some work done," he sighed. Climbing out of the king sized bed, he frowned when his slippers weren't where he'd left him.

That was the first clue that someone was in the apartment with him.

The second was that his robe wasn't lying over the back of the chair, but was apparently missing. He was feeling slightly alarmed, as he made his way to the kitchen in search of a weapon.

If someone was in the apartment – even if they only seemed interested in stealing his personal effects – he wanted to be sure he could protect himself.

Only he stopped halfway when he saw the intruder sitting in his living room, having a cup of tea. Even though she was wrapped in his black terry cloth robe and wearing his bedroom shoes, he was sure she wouldn't hurt him.

And although he'd never seen her before in his life, he knew who she was. Something inside of him reached out to her, and was brought to life. Some part of him that had been missing for so long now. He began to feel things he hadn't felt in the seven years he could remember. "Virginia."

She looked up from the magazine she'd been flipping through, and smiled at him. "Draco."

"I don't go by that here. It's not very American."

"You're not American," she pointed out unnecessarily. "But what is your name then?"

"Nathan Hall."

She tutted softly, then asked, "How long have you been calling yourself that?"

"About six years now." He felt awkward, standing by the chair like he was. Finally, he decided to sit. "I don't mean to be rude, but what're you doing in my apartment? How did you get in?"

"That's simple. I'm not really here."

"What?" he asked. "Are you telling me I'm hallucinating? Talking to myself?"

"No, you're dreaming."

"Dreaming?"

Virginia nodded. "I've visited you before. Some of those you've been able to remember when you woke up, but some of them you haven't. Either way, I'm here now, and I just thought I'd like to talk with you for a while."

"Why?"

Instead of answering him, she asked, "Do you still not remember me, Draco?"

Ashamed, he dropped his head. "I've tried."

"How could you have forgotten us?" she questioned. "How could you have forgotten everything we meant to each other?"

"I didn't want to!" Draco answered her. "It's not like I woke up and decided I wanted a different life. At least I don't think I did. That time in my life is still very fuzzy."

"What do you remember, then?"

"Waking up in the alley off of Fifth Avenue, downtown. That is my very first memory."

"Have you thought about memory charms, then? I think someone must have intentionally wiped your memory out."

"Memory charms?" Draco repeated. "What's that?"

She studied him, as if to ask him if he were serious. When she realized he was, her mouth dropped open. "You mean… you don't know?"

"Know what?"

"All this time… you've… you've been living as a Muggle?"

"A Muggle?"

"One without magic," she answered automatically.

"Of course I've lived without magic. Everyone does!" Draco studied her carefully, as he started to consider her sanity. Sure, he knew this was Virginia and that she held the keys to unlocking his past, but now she was prattling on about magic and the sorts…

"No, everyone does not. There is a large magic community in America, and England, which is where you're from, and every other country in the world! How do you not know this?"

"What?"

"Magic, Draco. Magic." She sighed, suddenly weary of this conversation. If he didn't know… well, he'd never be returning to her then. "What else do you want to know?"

"Will you tell me more about the magic?"

"No."

His eyes widened, as he stared at her. Why not, he wondered. But didn't ask. "Fine. Tell me about yourself."

"I'm Virginia," she told him. "I'm your wife."

"After seven years?"

Virginia nodded. "After seven years. You have two children. Twins, Seth, who is two minutes older, and Cera."

"Children."

"Yes, before you disappeared, I was pregnant. We used to argue over whether it would be a boy or a girl."

"Oh." He sat quietly for a minute, before saying, "Can you tell me about our last day together?"

"There isn't much to tell, really," Virginia told him tiredly. "You were hell-bent on going to see your father, and I didn't want you too. I went along with it, because I knew you'd never forgive yourself if you didn't. A few days later, Blaise told me you and your father were both dead."

"Wait," he interrupted her. "You're telling me that my father did this to me?"

Her eyes widened, as if she knew she'd said something she shouldn't have. "You didn't know? You don't remember?"

"Of course not!" Draco could feel a headache forming, even if he was sleeping as Virginia claimed. It just… his father? His father had stolen his memory? "I don't understand…"

"I'm sorry," she told him. "I'm so sorry."

Draco looked away, and shook his head. "If he's dead, as well, does that mean I killed him?"

"Draco…"

"Did I?" he questioned quietly.

"Yes."

"Oh God."

"I think I should go," Virginia said after a minute. "I'm sorry to have upset you. If you want, you won't have to remember."

"No," Draco stopped her, "I want to remember. And please, I want to know more. Don't go."

"It's time." She stood from the chair, and closed her eyes willing herself out of the dream.

"Wait," he stopped her again, "Is there anything I can do for you before you go?"

Virginia smiled sadly down at him. "The only thing you can do for me is come home, Draco."

With those words, she disappeared.

***


Nathan Hall slapped absently at the alarm clock. It was Saturday, why was the alarm going off?

I love you.

I love you, too.


The words were clear in his head. He could hear the woman's voice telling him she loved him, just like it was yesterday. Nathan shook his head. Why was he up again?

Then he remembered. He'd promised Richard he'd come into the office that morning to help with the new accounts.

I, Draco, take you, Virginia, as my wife. To have and to hold, for the rest of my life. In sickness and in health, until death do us part.

"Or until my father decided to wipe out my memory." He sat up in his bed, and reached for his glasses. Wait, how did he know that? How did he know his father had wiped out his memory? He couldn't remember his father. "Think, Draco. Think."

…she'll taint the Malfoy name… my son…

Malfoy. His name was Draco Malfoy. He remembered… Reaching for the paper on his desk, he began to write.

Draco Malfoy.

Virginia Malfoy.

His hand hovered over the paper, as he shut his eyes and willed the memories to continue.

I was born the day you kissed me.

I need you to promise you'll always remember me.


"I remember."

Everything good inside of me comes from you.

"Virginia," he sighed.

If you need help, go to Blaise.

On the paper, Nathan wrote, 'Blaise' with a question mark out beside it. Who was Blaise?

I'll be home soon.

Nathan reached for the phone on his bedside, dialing the number quickly. After two rings, the man on the other side picked up. "Richard? Yeah, it's Nathan. Look, I need you to look into something before I get there today." He paused as he listened to his mentor mention something about their business.

"Yes, I know. I'll still have time do to that, Richard. Listen, I need you to look into someone name Draco Malfoy. Or Virginia Malfoy. Cross-reference both of those names with the name Blaise. Find out if it means anything. Thanks, Richard. Sure. Ok, I'll be there in an hour."

When he hung up the phone, Nathan slipped out from beneath the black cashmere blanket. Today was the day… today he was going to finally figure out who he was. As he dressed, he couldn't help but smile to himself. Suddenly, he wanted to go home more than anything in the world. He wanted to see her…

Virginia.

After seven years, the drought was over.
Leave a Review